View Poll Results: What should we do with the military?
Spread them out over the conquered PEACE bases to act as garrisons. 1 12.50%
Keep them in a state of readiness, so they can be swiftly deployed when someone declares war on us or PUT. 5 62.50%
Go and attack another faction in the future. 2 25.00%
Write-in 0 0%
Cybobanana! 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25, 2004, 20:29   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What to do with the military after the war's over?
I was wondering what we should do with our offensive military troops after we have fully conquered PEACE. I've created a poll (7 day time limit) with three general options, but those are just to get a rough idea. Please post your opinion below, so we can discuss what to do.
Old January 25, 2004, 21:25   #2
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 10:04
We need to consider the fact that we will go into FreeMarket the moment we are able to, this will present some dificulty in any troop movments as we will need to stay in our territory or else we will get Pacificm Drones.

My recomendation is to first spread them as Garrisons in many of the PEACE bases that will be lacking them (if we dont build all the un-nessary Boy Scouts as I have urged).

These units will provide defence against any random Native life attacks that might strike thouse sea bases but wont realy provide much more then that.

As the Peace bases are brought to heel and turned to productive output they can make Probe Defences and Plasma Garrisons which are far superior to Impact Marrines when it comes to defending a base. We can then begin using are transports to bit by bit move the bulk of the Impact Marines (Missle Marines by this point) towards some staging area for our next attack (I recomend Belivers, the Angels are sapping the Hives navel strength so we have no interest in provoking them, the Belivers though look much easier to concour).
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 25, 2004, 21:32   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

My personal preference would be to build a boy scout in each PEACE base, leaving all our offensive units free to either move to our northern Trantorian coasts (so we can quickly help PUT if they are attacked), or to our western borders (if we plan to attack the Angels next).
If PUT was attacked and all our units were spread over the PEACE bases as garrisons, IMHO it would take way too much time before we can react.
Old January 25, 2004, 22:04   #4
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Why such a burning desire to have a Boy Scout in every captured base? If the war is over we dont need to worry about PEACE and if we are in FreeMarket they dont provide any police effect. All you have left is random native life form attack which is VERY unlikly and in my opinion dont justify building nearly 10 otherwise useless units (who will have poor wealth morale) and consume 10 minerals every year!!

I am more worried about Probe Defence in our captured PEACE bases then I am with weak Physical Defences that Boy Scouts can provide.

How about we just leave most of these bases ungarrisoned for the time being and move the military directly to its next staging area. Also we would need to use our Navy in any defence of the University, they would be more important then our Imact Marines. Thus it might be wise to start returning the Navy to the Northern Trantor Coast as soon as their is nothing left for them to do against PEACE (all ships destroyed and no sea bases left). They could then enter University Waters (with Archaics permision ofcorse) and patrol their.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 26, 2004, 16:09   #5
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

I prefer to have plasma garrisons in our bases. That way our military can go anywhere they please and at least our home is defended. I have 10 minerals a year over for that.

As for the distribution of the offensive units after the war, there was talk about attacking the Angels with conjecture with the Hive, so just in case a majority decide so, keep them at the last bases they conquer (the western ones)

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old January 26, 2004, 17:18   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:04
Take out the AI. They have nice places, nice bases, and we can gain a lot from it. Especially Roze at the Jungle If we take those, we can match production and growth with the Hive and Drones However IMHO we should put some units, preferably our own probes, in PUT bases so they can't be attacked without declaring on us.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 26, 2004, 17:59   #7
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Take out the AI. They have nice places, nice bases, and we can gain a lot from it. Especially Roze at the Jungle If we take those, we can match production and growth with the Hive and Drones However IMHO we should put some units, preferably our own probes, in PUT bases so they can't be attacked without declaring on us.

I would love to see Angels crushed. But Hive...
Hopefully we can do it.
Old January 27, 2004, 11:17   #8
Impaler[WrG]
King

So navy to the East to protect PUT (along with some probe Foils) and Marines on alert in the West preparing to attack Angles at some point. This seems like a good plan to me.

Whats the opinion on leaving newly concoured bases empty for a time? I think we can leave Lair, Pampolona, Calico/Atlantis empty for a time without much worry. It will be far more efficient to skip Boy Scouts and go Rec Commons then Plasma Garrisons in these bases. Or use a central base like Triplex to produce a number of units (Garrisons, Crawlers, Formers) that can be distributed with our Transport fleet.
Old January 27, 2004, 12:02   #9
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I'd say go boy scouts. They can be upgraded later if needs be, and we need drone reduction ASAP.

Old January 27, 2004, 12:19   #10
Impaler[WrG]
King

How many time must I point out that Boy Scouts wont provide us with any Drone Reductions due to the base sizes and the fact all the PEACE bases are full of drones AND the fact we will take FreeMarket soon. Building up 10 mins and hurrying a Rec Commons CAN put additonal workers in the field though and incresse productivity, only AFTER that will police do much good.
Old January 27, 2004, 12:40   #11
Drogue
staff

Without FM they won't do any good? Take FM soon? IMHO, taking out the Angels if more profitable for us, or guarding PUTs bases.

And even without that, the peace of mind from IoDs and the ability to upgrade means I'd still go for boy scouts first.

Old January 27, 2004, 14:53   #12
Maniac

Impaler:

Quote:
If the war is over we dont need to worry about PEACE
No, but we might need to worry about a surprise attack from the Angels who are hostile to us, or the Hive in the west who might decide to go conquer Chiron after they've got the CBA.
And as Drogue says: "I'd say go boy scouts. They can be upgraded later if needs be". So if we need a defensive army in record time, we can upgrade those cheap units.

Quote:
All you have left is random native life form attack which is VERY unlikly
It depends. If we would decide to go trough with raising the sea levels by ecological damage, native life attacks become more likely.

That brings me on another point I'd like to ask to all cyborgs: now we have the trance ability, should we build 1-1t-1 trance scouts instead of boy scouts (if a majority is in favour of building garrisons instead of rec commons first)?

Quote:
How many time must I point out that Boy Scouts wont provide us with any Drone Reductions due to the base sizes
Why do you think that? Garrisons currently can reduce or are reducing drones in Tassagrad, MBV, Triplex and Athena. If we let Casablanca grow to size 3, a garrison becomes useful there as well. So the only base that doesn't gain from them at the moment is Lair, but since PEACE is building Barques in that neighbourhood, it's very crucial to have garrisons there.
Old January 27, 2004, 15:13   #13
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Impaler:
Why do you think that? Garrisons currently can reduce or are reducing drones in Tassagrad, MBV, Triplex and Athena. If we let Casablanca grow to size 3, a garrison becomes useful there as well.
Reason the more to build extra garrisons in the home land as well (with an command center pls), those can be distributed to the west and replacing repaired impact marines who are currently there. Besides, as mentioned earlier, the war is supposed to take longer for the higher mineral input of PEACE (their crawlers), so more likely we will only be able to conquer one base at the time from now on. Gives more time to distribute whatever unit is build.

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I'd say go boy scouts. They can be upgraded later if needs be, and we need drone reduction ASAP.
Upgrading green units? Doesn't get my vote I'm afraid.
And damaged units need to stay a while in a conquered base anyway, those are temporary garrisons.
Old January 28, 2004, 00:19   #14
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

I voted for the first option, spread as garrison. But there is something more, i think could be done. There are unexplored regions to the south and south-west, where i think two ships could be sent. We could have a scout rover-the best for land exploration, but there is none in the region. Maybe it would be good to prepare one and load it to a transport - one of presently used as troop transports. There is one skimships also in the base in geothermal shalows - it could also explore the south. The rest might serve as temporary garrison, until regular defensive troops are prepared.
Old January 28, 2004, 05:44   #15
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i like drogues idea of using triplex to build the garrisons for other bases....and let those bases start building rec commons...about the military i would also send the a part of our land invasion force towards PUT grounds so that we can stage a counter attack when PUT bases are captured...but i am agreeing on taking on the angels as well...but we or have to wait until the PUT has fought of the attack...or take the angels before PUT needs our help...we can`t do both...
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old January 29, 2004, 08:15   #16
Impaler[WrG]
King

I think we should inflitrate the AI's before desiding which one to attack (and how, when ect ect).

I am oposed to pulling any of our imprtant navel units away to explore the lands to the South (their likly not very usefull and we probly cant afford to build new bases their any time soon anyways). At some later date though its a good idea.

Making Garrison troops in Triplex after the Rec Commons is done is also a good plan. Then a Crawler and Net Node would be high priorites.
Old January 31, 2004, 21:11   #17
Maniac

Am I correct we'd better forget about attacking AI factions and send our troops straight north to PUT after PEACE is finished?
Old February 1, 2004, 00:40   #18
GeoModder
Deity

I'm for that. North with our troops after conquest.
Besides, if Hive starts a war together with Drones against us, the AI Angels might be persuaded to join us, or at least to have better relations. Granted it's only a AI, but every help is welcome
Old February 1, 2004, 15:32   #19
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Garrison PUT bases!
Old February 2, 2004, 16:48   #20
GeoModder
Deity

Looks like the're aint gonna be a moment without war from now on.

Poll dissmissed, I think...
Old February 2, 2004, 17:23   #21
Impaler[WrG]
King

If our Navy ends up in the Area of Atlantis or Calico Island then I propose we move it north around that Desert Island and then North East to reach the Northern University Coast asap, they can destroy any Drone Transport moving against us easly.

Love Boat should start moving north imediatly with an ultimate goal of Gold Coast.