Old April 20, 2004, 12:06   #61
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Ah damn, so we can't call you King of Corruption any more!

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2004, 13:45   #62
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 12:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A couple of clarification questions, alexman...

1. Is non-communal d equal to max(x,y) plus half min(x,y) (as it's written), or the average of max(x,y) and min(x,y), merely a () away?

2. If it's the latter, couldn't it be written as d = (x+y)/2 (which strengthens my suspicion that it's the former )?

Great work on this key issue, all of you that did the research.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Solomwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2004, 13:52   #63
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 13:04
Your suspicion is hereby confirmed (it's as written).
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2004, 16:24   #64
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 17:04
On rounding, If it works the way I think it does for Commercial, it does make a strategic difference and might do in other circumstances.

The 10% goverment-depenadant bonus could also round to 0,1 or 2 and the difference could well affect the choice between Monarchy and Republic.

Take the example of Demigod on a small map. That gives an OCN of 11.9 (17*0.7) before rounding. I think that means the OCN would be 11 and the bonus for Commercial would be 2. That looks like enough to make the trait much less useful.

If the rounding for goverments worked differently and was applied before rounding down then a 10% bonus would change 11.9 to 13.09 and the bonus for Republic over Monarchy might also be 2. That would make the corruption difference significant in the choice of goverment.

I'm not saying that we need to have this information or I would have tested for it myself. But it's not strategically insignificant. The next time I'm faced with that kind of choice, I'll think about testing for it.
Nor Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2004, 23:48   #65
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'm putting together an easy to use (hopefully) spreadsheet that will allow a few variables to be swiped in for each city and give the player the ability to look at a table of cities, keeping all the variables general, so the player can easily look at what a government change might do for corruption. So, just checking to see if I've got the distance formula in right, a city with x=11, y=3, connected to the capital under Republic on a Huge map with both courthouse and police station should have a da of 3 and distance component of 3.75%, right?
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope

Last edited by Solomwi; April 21, 2004 at 00:06.
Old April 21, 2004, 03:23   #66
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
So, just checking to see if I've got the distance formula in right, a city with x=11, y=3, connected to the capital under Republic on a Huge map with both courthouse and police station should have a da of 3 and distance component of 3.75%, right?
I guess it depends where the rounding comes in. D is 12.5, so does that round down to 12? If not, da will be 3.125....does that then round to 3? If so, then 3.75% would be correct by my reckoning....but we should wait for the Emperor's confirmation

Old April 21, 2004, 08:03   #67
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Distance for sure rounds down. We know that from the RCP exploit in PTW.

As for the rest of the calculations, they sometimes round to the nearest integer in intermediate calculations, and sometimes round down.
Old April 21, 2004, 09:33   #68
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

If anybody wants to play with, tweak, correct or use this, by all means feel free. Just send me any corrections you find to make via pm, please.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip empire manager.zip (7.8 KB, 27 views)
- Doug Stanhope
Old April 25, 2004, 19:33   #69
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
This is now in the Must Read threads. Great job alexman et al!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2004, 19:48   #70
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Thanks a bunch. As the new MOI for the poly team in the c3c demo game, this will be most usefull as we begin our REX.

--GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
GodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2004, 11:00   #71
Kinslayer
Settler

OK, can I just get these statements confirmed so I can see if I'm absorbing all this information properly.

1) Increasing the number of cities in a non-communal empire doesn't increase the corruption in the core cities (assuming you don't move the palace), because their rank number will remain unchanged.

2) If you had a bazillion cities then a democracy will overall be more efficient than a communism because you retain efficient core cities, while in a communism those core cities will have rampant rank corruption.

3) The most corrupt city can still have 30% efficiency if it has a Courthouse and a Police Station in it.

What is more efficient for various empire sizes? Communism or Democracy?
Kinslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2004, 11:07   #72
alexman

1) True

2) It depends on the number 'bazillion'. For the purposes what you can do in the game, Communism is better than Democracy as you get more cities, because the modified OCN for communism is so much higher. If 'bazillion' means 'tends to infinity' then your statement is correct, although there is a hard-coded limit on the number of cities in Civ3.

3) True.

Communism versus Democracy in general: Democracy is better for commerce, and Communism is better for production. However, Communism comes close to Democracy in commerce for very large empires, and Democracy is better than Communism in production for smallish empires.
Old July 1, 2004, 11:44   #73
Kinslayer
Settler

Thanks man.

And because this is one of my first posts in the forum, may I say thanks for all the fine strategy I've been able to read because of your efforts (and those of others) .
Kinslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2004, 19:27   #74
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

A few tweaks and minor updates to the spreadsheet posted above. Aqualung71 gets a big for noticing a couple problems and fixing them. It's still not quite perfect on the calculations, but is getting there.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip update.zip (7.2 KB, 17 views)
- Doug Stanhope
Old September 30, 2004, 17:53   #75
shadow_fighter
Settler

Is there any way to "destroy" the FP besides bombing the city and hope you get it? I built it in the city right next to my capital, and now I want to build it in the land where Germany was. I just killed them, and it takes forever to make anything there.
shadow_fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2004, 23:17   #76
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

C3C or earlier? It makes a huge difference.

If C3C (and I presume so, given the thread), don't worry about it, unless you want to shift your Palace a little farther away. The major benefit is the OCN increase, and not the distance decrease.

If Civ3/PTW, build your palace (hopefully by rushing) in the German territory.

Either way, you'll have to move your Palace, not the FP, unless I'm missing something.
- Doug Stanhope
Old January 14, 2005, 20:31   #77
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 18:04
For some reason the selections in the updated version don't work for me. Can someone submit a fixed version?
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2005, 02:29   #78
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

The spreadsheet, you mean? I haven't had any problems with the selections, using Excel 2003. Here's the latest, but not having any problems with it, there hasn't been any fix on the selections. Let me know if it doesn't work.
Attached Files:
File Type: xls extended empire manager.xls (117.5 KB, 8 views)
- Doug Stanhope
Old January 16, 2005, 03:11   #79
Aqualung71
Emperor

Solomwi, there's a problem with the latest version. The mpa size tab starts out as Huge, but when you click the dropw down menu, it only gives you the choice of "yes" or "no". Also, the difficulty level only allows for Demigod through Sid.

(BTW: your avatar is way cool....and matches my sig )

Old January 16, 2005, 04:23   #80
Geronimo
King

Very helpful post!

So every time we build a corruption wonder it's like adding a second palace and distance corruption always uses the distance to the closest 'palace'?
Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2005, 16:00   #81
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

It's not like adding a second palace for number of cities corruption, of course, but yes, it's like a second palace for distance corruption.
Old January 16, 2005, 16:16   #82
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

That's what I get for pretty much playing exclusively huge monarch maps.

Not sure how that happened, but the cell references had just gotten jumbled up a bit. I fixed both problems, and my apologies for doubting SirOsis.
Attached Files:
File Type: xls extended empire manager.xls (118.0 KB, 8 views)
- Doug Stanhope
Old January 17, 2005, 12:58   #83
SirOsis
King

Excellent. Thanks for the fix. Now I can delve deeper into corruption.
Old January 17, 2005, 13:52   #84
SirOsis
King

As I'm delving I've got some questions. If I have it right building the FP affects rank corruption? Is it only in that city? Or does it affect surrounding cities?
Old January 17, 2005, 15:10   #85
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

It increases the Optimal City Number, which reduces the effects of rank corruption. It does not affect any one city per se, but rather the global formula that affects all of them.
Old January 17, 2005, 15:25   #86
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

Right, as I understand it. It lessens rank corruption empire-wide by increasing the OCN, and lessens distance corruption on a per-city basis for those cities that are closer to it than to the palace.

My apologies again, SO, and glad to see you putting it to good use.
- Doug Stanhope
Old January 17, 2005, 21:56   #87
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

It is also a minus 70% to max corruption in the city in which it's built.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
It increases the Optimal City Number, which reduces the effects of rank corruption. It does not affect any one city per se, but rather the global formula that affects all of them.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2005, 13:24   #88
SirOsis
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
Right, as I understand it. It lessens rank corruption empire-wide by increasing the OCN, and lessens distance corruption on a per-city basis for those cities that are closer to it than to the palace.

My apologies again, SO, and glad to see you putting it to good use.
So the FP is considered another capital in regards to distance corruption? I'm having trouble getting the city ranks right. Is it only distance from the capital that determines a city rank?
Old January 18, 2005, 13:41   #89
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

FP in Conquest does not give a new set of city ranks.

There's two forms of corruption:

Distance based (FP helps by taking the min value)

City Rank from the Capital (FP increases the OCN)

And there are also max values:

90% anything

Each Corruption Fighting Improvement : -10%
Each Corruption Fighting Small Wonder / Palace : -70%

Court Houses / Police Stations / WLTPD [Shields only] also decrease the effective City Rank of the city with them.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2005, 16:56   #90
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SirOsis

So the FP is considered another capital in regards to distance corruption? I'm having trouble getting the city ranks right. Is it only distance from the capital that determines a city rank?
What I've done to get the ranks right is input distance to palace for every city, then sort the cities by d (ascending), then founding date (descending for BC cities, ascending for AD cities), then change d for those closer to the FP. It requires you to do it twice, once for cities founded in BC and once for cities founded in AD, so it's not really a very good method, but I haven't really taken the time to allow input for distance to both palace and FP, which I really need to do, to better model an empire with a FP. The formulae themselves shouldn't be difficult.

Up until recently, I wasn't sure if anybody was using it, so the push to more accurately model the FP placement wasn't very urgent.
- Doug Stanhope