Old January 26, 2004, 13:19   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mafia 8 - The Sign of Death
Here we go again.

You know the rules.

Two mafias are notified. They alternate in their kills. You vote, people die. No more two-turn rules. If we get both Mafias in the first two turns, great! If there happens to be a tie, I won't kill both people. But I will flip a coin to choose who to kill, and if it happens to be the Mafia - you are lucky.

I'd also like people to not change their votes. Once you voice your choice, the die is cast.

Also, I'm swamped with work now, so the story is not as well-developed as it was last time. Sorry.
Spore page
Old January 26, 2004, 13:20   #2
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Name Status Vote   Name Status Vote
Zopperoni Alive N/A   GhengisFarb Alive N/A
rah Alive N/A   MattH Alive N/A
Jon Miller Alive N/A   Guynemer Alive N/A
HongHu Alive N/A   Comrade Tassadar Dead (Mafia - Round 1) N/A
Hercules Alive N/A   Pave Alive N/A
ADG Alive N/A   alva Alive N/A
Kassiopeia Alive N/A   Spiffor Alive N/A
Jamski Alive N/A   Nikolai Alive N/A
Osweld Alive N/A   Jonny Alive N/A
Vlad Antlerkov Alive N/A   Drogue Alive N/A
Skanky Burns Alive N/A   CapitanGarlic Alive N/A
Frozzy Alive N/A   Spaced Cowboy Dead (Village - Round 1) N/A
Village Status: Night
Votes:
  1. N/A
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; January 29, 2004 at 00:26.
Old January 26, 2004, 13:20   #3
vovan
Emperor

"Well, here we are" said Comrade Tassadar and stopped the carriage. He is the village's carrier. Like taxi drivers, he likes to talk. Rant would be a better word, actually. As soon as the passenger enters the carriage, Tassadar start telling them everything he thinks about the world and the people that live in it, and never stops untill it is time to get the pay. But this time was different.

He drove Osweld some twenty kilometers from the train station to the village, where the man decided to stay. And Osweld isn't the one to listen to anybody's rants. He likes to talk himself. And he has tons of stuff to tell, too, for he is an alchemist. That's right, he likes to play with mercury and tries to turn lead into gold, and with that he has lots of stories to tell about the successes and failures of his countless predecessors as well as some of his own. Some of the stuff he tells people about is really rather amazing, but you never know what's true and whats lies with alchemists. At any rate, people don't normally like to live close to them, for their lab always is a source of terrible smell and often shakes the nearby houses with the sounds of chemical explosions. That's why Osweld decided to move into the village - his previous neighbors just got too tired of him, and he wanted a smaller, quiter place to conduct his experiments in.

"So I see..." - Responded Osweld - "Say, can you show me around? I'd like to see what's there to this place, and where I can find myself a lab."

And so Tassadar proceeded to show Osweld the village and show him some of its inhabitants.

First on the list was the "Center". It was actually a small town square, laid out with brick, which was surrounded by the homes/shops of the some villagers. There was the house of Jon Miller, the baker. The sign above the door showed a fluffy load of bread, still hot (judging from the vertical lines above it), and a pleasant smell of freshly baked bread and cakes was coming out of the open door.

Just next to the bakery was the shop of Guynemer, the brewer. It had a big smokestack, and someone was carrying in sacks of barley inside.

There was also the inn, whose windows were facing the square, and a man was sitting on the porch, smoking. It was rah, the inn-keeper. The village didn't have too many visitors, and so rah mostly made money by serving the villagers food. As soon as he saw the carriage with Osweld inside, he smiled, for he immediately spotted a newcomer.

Just next to the inn was a pub. It was owned by Skanky Burns.

Across from the pub, conveniently, there was located an apothecary's shop, run by CapitanGarlic.

There was also the shop of Zopperoni, the butcher. Apparently, it was the busiest time of day for him, because one could see a stream of blood flowing from the door into the street. Osweld wondered if that was always the case, but Tassadar assured that Zopperoni normally cleans up the mess quickly, but sometimes, when lots of villagers come to him at the same time and demand meat, he's so busy serving them that has no time to worry about the blood.

Also facing the town square was the tailor's shop, owned by Kassiopeia. He specialized in men's suits and other dressing for official events, and women's clothing as well as more casual dress was handled well by HongHu, the seamstress that has been working for Kassiopeia for a long time now.

Finally, one could see the town hall, where Spiffor and Hercules worked. Spiffor was the town's scribe and treasurer, while Hercules was the one and only policeman.

That was all there was to see on the town square, so after showing Osweld around and telling him a little about each other persons that lived and worked there, Tassadar took him down the main street, which soon turned from brick to dirt, and into the "Industrial District". All there was to it was just a long dirt road, on either side of which there were more people's shops. Except they didn't belong on the main square.

First, one could see the shops of MattH the thatcher on the left (which for some odd reason was always closed whenever someone came by to ask MattH to fix a roof) and of Nikolai the carpenter on the right.

Next came the shop of ADG, the wheelwright and cartmaker, and just across the road, the shop of Jonny, the chandler.

Then came the dirtier shops of Pave the potter, which always had so much smoke coming out of the smokestack that the cloud above the shop was almost eerie, and Vlad Antlerkov, the tanner, on front of whose shops one could always see a barrel of tannin, and so people always tried to keep as far to the other side of the road as possible, so as to not accidentally tip the barrel with the carriage. Additionally, noone but Vlad himself and Drogue the cobbler, could actually enter the tannery. People's eyes started hurting from the fumes, and they usually departed in a fashion most prompt.

Just a little ways down the road, down towards a river, one could see a few more houses. Tassadar really didn't want to go there, because it was almost time for dinner, so he just pointed his finger from the top of the hill down to the valley and the river below and explained what was there.

Just by the woods there was the house of alva, the lumberjack, and next to him was the house of Jamski the shepherd, who worked at the ranch of Spaced Cowboy and watched the sheep, while Spaced himself took care of the horses and the cows. Just next to the ranch was the farm of GenghisFarb, who had two fields: one of barley, which he normally sold to the brewer, and one of wheat which he normally sold to Frozzy.

Frozzy owned the mill on the river, away from the town and the people, so he was rarely heard from during the town meetings.
Spore page
Old January 26, 2004, 13:23   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:06
Two mafia's? And we have to kill both? Since we only get the mafia about half the time, or just less, anyway, it seemed balanced already. Isn't this just too hard now, to get both of them?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 26, 2004, 13:24   #5
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 19:06
*Nikolai reads the Poly Gazzette, mumbeling to himself. All those murders and rapes...modern times...people of today...thankfully not in THIS city!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 26, 2004, 13:26   #6
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 12:06
Well, things have been done to make it easier also.

Early mafia detection helps. And the change in the Tie rule also help. So Let the fun begin.
Old January 26, 2004, 13:29   #7
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vovan
And Osweld isn't the one to listen to anybody's rants. He likes to talk himself. And he has tons of stuff to tell, too, for he is an alchemist. That's right, he likes to play with mercury and tries to turn lead into gold, and with that he has lots of stories to tell about the successes and failures of his countless predecessors as well as some of his own. Some of the stuff he tells people about is really rather amazing, but you never know what's true and whats lies with alchemists. At any rate, people don't normally like to live close to them, for their lab always is a source of terrible smell and often shakes the nearby houses with the sounds of chemical explosions. That's why Osweld decided to move into the village - his previous neighbors just got too tired of him, and he wanted a smaller, quiter place to conduct his experiments in.
Experiments, eh? Somebody to watch, that's for sure!

Good story, btw.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old January 26, 2004, 13:36   #8
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Two mafia's? And we have to kill both? Since we only get the mafia about half the time, or just less, anyway, it seemed balanced already. Isn't this just too hard now, to get both of them?
Well, in addition to what rah said, we now have an unprecedented number of 22 villagers! So, you have... lots of room for error. That, and the Mafia's don't know who the other one is, so one could potentially kill the other.
Spore page
Old January 26, 2004, 13:37   #9
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by vovan
That, and the Mafia's don't know who the other one is, so one could potentially kill the other.
That could be funny!

Old January 26, 2004, 13:38   #10
Drogue
staff

Will we know if we kill one? Or are we only told who they were when we've killed both?

Old January 26, 2004, 13:40   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I read the story and didn't see where anyone died. Has no one died yet?
Old January 26, 2004, 13:47   #12
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

How come I never get paid?

Ok another question: if a mafia is killed, does the other automatically increase his killing rate from one every two nights to one every night?

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 26, 2004, 14:06   #13
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

And why am I working for Spaced? He should be working for ME

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 26, 2004, 14:10   #14
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
And why am I working for Spaced? He should be working for ME

-Jam
Actually, it is soooo obvious that you work for me, that we did not even have to tell vovan.
Old January 26, 2004, 14:11   #15
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Its MY ranch, goddammit!

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 26, 2004, 14:17   #16
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Oh we've got a poor working class in the village ...

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 26, 2004, 14:46   #17
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

If one can kill the other, they should try to kill each other so it can't happen to them by accident/intention.
Old January 26, 2004, 14:50   #18
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

# Just like my dear mama ..........
He's a lumberjack and he's ok, he works all night and he sleeps all day......

just like he's dear mama....

Quote:
He is the village's carrier. Like taxi drivers, he likes to talk. Rant would be a better word, actually
Old January 26, 2004, 14:58   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Its MY ranch, goddammit!

-Jam
Then keep your livestock out of my fields you stinkin Sheepherder!
Old January 26, 2004, 15:15   #20
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 10:06
Still the apothecary! Whee!

*wonderful drugs*
Old January 26, 2004, 15:16   #21
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

OOh great, now non-mafia villagers are about to kill each other, that should realy speed the game up.
Old January 26, 2004, 15:22   #22
Snowflake
Princess

How do you know they are non-mafia villagers? Maybe it is the mafia who are trying to cause a turmoil to set up for their killings?

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 26, 2004, 15:23   #23
Nikolai
Deity

Well, as long as none of your animals interfere with my tree felling...
Old January 26, 2004, 15:25   #24
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
How do you know they are non-mafia villagers? Maybe it is the mafia who are trying to cause a turmoil to set up for their killings?
We'd have motive then.
Old January 26, 2004, 15:28   #25
alva
Deity

So, now we can call a (direct) kill instead of a vote???
Even shorter games
Old January 26, 2004, 15:43   #26
Nikolai
Deity

But you'll be dead yourself pretty soon, I'm sure!
Old January 26, 2004, 15:44   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Can Villagers hire the Mafia to off annoying Sheepherders and the like?
Old January 26, 2004, 15:46   #28
Nikolai
Deity

Only if they want to be "taken care of" by the city council... Besides, how can you know who the Mafia is? You'll want to answer quick!
Old January 26, 2004, 15:56   #29
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Its MY ranch, goddammit!

-Jam
You are getting quite delusional with all that sheep dung stuck to your..........err boots that is.
Old January 26, 2004, 15:58   #30
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Then keep your livestock out of my fields you stinkin Sheepherder!
That's funny, last game we had a deal that we could use your field to feed the cows. What is up with that?