Old January 26, 2004, 13:31   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 13:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
SGL's are unbalancing
In the Middle Ages conquest, playing as the Byzantines (who aren't Scientific in that, but religious, which is annoying because there's no government change), I've gotten 2 SGL's. The first one probably changed the course of the entire game for me - I decided to research Western Church, which gave me access to the Holy Roman Empire wonder. Normally I would've had no chance at this, but of course I got it with the SGL. The Holy Roman Empire give 2 free techs, better chance at leaders, and 4-size armies. That, in turn, gave me the Viking and Arab techs. Now, in the High Middle Ages, I have a several-tech lead and ALL OF THE OPTIONAL TECHS except for Defender of Europe and Intelligence Operations (both Byzantine techs). I'm saving the other SGL for Magna Carta. I don't know if it's just the power of Holy Roman Empire, but I think SGL's are too random to be balanced - especially given the tiny difference between the probability for Scientific civs and non-Scientific ones.
Old January 26, 2004, 13:39   #2
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 11:07
Skywalker, In that instance, you may be right. However, SGL's are random and there's no guarantee that you'd get one. Even if you hadn't gotten an SGL, you'd probably still be ahead of all the AI's (perhaps by not as much).

It sounds more like the Wonder is VERY strong. That coupled w/ your building it via SGL could be an 'unbalanced combo', but I don't think that either by themselves would be too unbalanced.

I just hate to declare them 'unbalanced' for fear that they'd be removed or something. And I have yet to even see one in my games, epic/conquest or otherwise.

Steven

BTW, on your success w/ that scenario. I'm envious.
Old January 26, 2004, 13:52   #3
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:07
I get this mental picture of a French knight throwing a red flag and screaming "time out" at which point God comes jogging out of a cloud.

"Longbows are unbalancing and give the English too much of an advantage", says the French knight.

God reviews the play and concludes that the longbowmen had both feet in bounds. "The play stands!", says He.

The French continue to be slaughtered, which is of course, historically accurate gaming.

By God.
Capt Dizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 14:40   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Awesome, JT!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 14:54   #5
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

One amazingly helpful use of SGL's shouldn't qualify them as unbalancing. They are certainly a damn sight better than when MGLs could rush wonders. With enough elites you could intentionally generate five or six per turn. In the early Middle Ages that could get you some awesome wonders right away.

The only unbalanced part about them is that once you have a clear tech lead you are likely to be the only player with a chance to generate one. But, once you are the clear tech leader the game is over anyhow...

Nice scenario work, by the way.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 15:23   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

They seem ot be rare enough not to be imbalancing...as a scientific civ in one game I was the first to research almost all of the ancient techs, all of the middle ages, and the beginning of the industrial techs and only got one of them!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
civman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 15:32   #7
Myrddin
Warlord

Local Time: 17:07
On the other hand, as the Byzantines, I got 1 SGL for Philosophy and 1 for the free tech (Republic) from Philosophy

Game over
Old January 26, 2004, 18:17   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

They are rather rare, so they are not a big issue over all. They are going to make a big impact if they come at the right time or wrong time for the others.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 18:40   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
Skywalker, In that instance, you may be right. However, SGL's are random and there's no guarantee that you'd get one. Even if you hadn't gotten an SGL, you'd probably still be ahead of all the AI's (perhaps by not as much).

It sounds more like the Wonder is VERY strong. That coupled w/ your building it via SGL could be an 'unbalanced combo', but I don't think that either by themselves would be too unbalanced.

I just hate to declare them 'unbalanced' for fear that they'd be removed or something. And I have yet to even see one in my games, epic/conquest or otherwise.

Steven

BTW, on your success w/ that scenario. I'm envious.
I wouldn't have been able to build it, had I not had an SGL. I was probably 20 turns behind on it, because the other civs building it started with Western Church.
Old January 26, 2004, 18:42   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
They seem ot be rare enough not to be imbalancing...as a scientific civ in one game I was the first to research almost all of the ancient techs, all of the middle ages, and the beginning of the industrial techs and only got one of them!
The rareness is what makes them unbalancing - that and that the probability isn't much different for Scientific civs. It is an ENORMOUS help, and is even more luck-of-the-draw than Ivory.

btw, I do consider them better than when it was MGL's, though.
Old January 26, 2004, 18:45   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

I thought of this when I beat the Mesopotamia scenario just now. I was watching the leaderheads saying their little blurbs on the victory screen and suddenly Agamemnon says "Luck... it was all luck..." I found this amusing, because I'd gotten 2 SGL's as Sumeria which I used on ToA and the Lighthouse. (Ironically, I won by a Victory Point Victory, not a Wonder Victory - the seventh wonder gave me enough VP's to win.)
Old January 27, 2004, 04:07   #12
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I get this mental picture of a French knight throwing a red flag and screaming "time out" at which point God comes jogging out of a cloud.

"Longbows are unbalancing and give the English too much of an advantage", says the French knight.

God reviews the play and concludes that the longbowmen had both feet in bounds. "The play stands!", says He.

The French continue to be slaughtered, which is of course, historically accurate gaming.

By God.
I was watching "Battlefield Detectives" on Discovery last night that presented evidence to suggest that the heroic English victory at Agincourt was almost certainly due to overcrowding on the French side that basically caused a "crowd disaster", as we see today in football stadiums and train statioins. In other words, many of the French squashed each other to death and brave King Henry V slaughtered the rest in cold blood while they were lying crushed.

Perhaps there should be limits to Civ3 stacks of doom....or a message might pop up saying "your swordsmen were slaughtered because there wasn't enough space for them to lift their swords"
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 04:21   #13
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 18:07
SGLs can be imbalancing, but they are so random, that you can't rely on it. In one game I (playing the agricultural Dutch) got a SGL when I discovered Writing in the mid-2000BC's. Instant Pyramids + agricultural + lots of rivers = Game over. But that happens only on rare occasions. You could get lucky in previous versions too, making a (M)GL with your very first elite archer.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 04:43   #14
pauli
Prince

if you find them too unbalancing...

...don't use them.
Old January 27, 2004, 09:50   #15
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:07
I think this system is better than when MGLs could rush everything
Your method equals wipe out
Fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 12:49   #16
vmxa1
Deity

Talk about unbalanced (not) I got my only SGL in my current game from Robotics, is that funny or what.

I was first to all Modern tech , all non optional techs in Industrial
and I don't know how many in the previous age.

This is common for me, only rarely do I get one beofre industrial age. If I do I am tempted to abandon the game and declare victory.
The only issue is that when I used the ancient age SGL for Pyramids, it will likely trigger a GA.
Old January 27, 2004, 16:04   #17
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I've been in the tech lead the whole game in my most recent game, haven't seen an SGL yet. If I get one now, I'll just use it to boost my research, as no one else can build any of the wonders.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
chequita guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 16:50   #18
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I just got an SGL with writing! Booyah. I think I'll build Zeus.

This is the second game out of my last oh 4 I think that I've gotten such an early sgl. the other one I used on the pyramids.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 17:29   #19
vmxa1
Deity

Are you plating a Science civ?
Old January 27, 2004, 17:30   #20
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
nope one was as the frenchies, this current one was as the indians.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 18:21   #21
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I've just gotten 1 myself in the epic game. (Not a scientific civ though)
I basically earned one late in the industrial era with a few turns left in my peaceful GA from building Hoover Dam [I'm playing the Mayas]. I just sat on the SGL until entering the modern era and picked computers and used him on SETI. I was already significantly ahead in the AI when I built Hoovers so it's primarly effect is speeding up when I reach the tech to lauch the space ship.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 18:56   #22
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I never can really tell a difference - the probability really only varies over lots of games. In one game a Scientific civ won't likely have much more luck with SGL's than a nonscientific one.
Old January 27, 2004, 19:33   #23
vmxa1
Deity

The only time I have had more than one (3) was as a SCI civ. The boost is small but, it is still almost twice a non SCI.
Old January 27, 2004, 21:39   #24
Switch
Prince

I've found them 'unbalancing', so to speak, but since they're so random you can't really call it unbalancing. I got two in the mesopotamia conquest, giving me the collossus and ToA (basically winning the scenario for me), and I've gotten a few in other games too. But I've NEVER gotten a MGL, despite the number of elite victories I've had.
Old January 27, 2004, 21:54   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I think their more balance than MGLs since anyone can get an SGL when they research a tech first. MGLs are only available to a player conqurering someone else which would mean they most likely already had a military advantage.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 22:08   #26
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
Well, in all of my games I have only received ONE SGL (in a SP game). So I have no insight into the SGLs being unbalancing or not.
Old January 27, 2004, 22:27   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

In the AoD scenario I got three on my first three techs when playing as Portugal.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2004, 00:03   #28
vmxa1
Deity

Switch you have had no MGL's? That is astonishing. I never had less than 4 in a full game.
My last one I only had two wars and got 8.
Old January 28, 2004, 18:53   #29
Exquisitor
Settler

Local Time: 17:07
I'm playing Monarch, C3C, mid-size continents, 8 civs.

I've generated 3 SGLs this game. Used them on Knights Templar, JSBach and Theory of Evolution. The latter put me in line for the Hoover Dam well before I was expecting it.

I tried another game where I used the SGL for the increased science output. I think it is better to use on wonders.

Does Heroic Epic help with SGL chances?
Exquisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2004, 19:04   #30
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

I think the general view is that, in most cases, using SGL's for accelerated science is a waste, especially since you can have more than one at once. I'm sure there are specific situations where the faster research rate would be helpful, but generally you're better off with the Wonder.

To answer your question, heroic epic has no affect on your SGL chances. Being scientific, however, does increase the likelihood that you'll get one.
Tall Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote