Old January 26, 2004, 14:39   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 11:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Age of Discovery Democracy Game
Concept:
We would divide up into three teams, (France, England, and Spain?) Each team would elect a Royal Minister who performs the same function as President in a traditional Demogame.

Settler/Colonists would be auctioned off by the Royal Ministers to the highest bidder to start a colony in the New World. All the income and production from said colony is the property and under the control of the winning bidder. Of course Royal Ministers/teams may vote to collect/impose taxes on the colonies.

Basically it would be a three team themed Feudal Demogame system. With vested interest in building and cultivating their own colonies hopefully DemoGamers will be more active in the game. The theme and competition should provide ample fuel for Roleplay, and by keeping it limited to three teams it hopefully shouldn't get too bogged down.

Any interest or discussion?

Another possibility is to have a Native team that controls all three native tribes and plays them all at once.

Confirmed Groups and Civ Choices

Non Aligned (Team Spam)
UnOrthOdOx
Gramphos
ZargonX
conmcb25

Spain
GhengisFarb
Uber KruX
1/2 of GodKing

France
Rhothaerill
joncnunn

England
Borc
Paddy the Scot
1/2 of GodKing
Beta
Darekill

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; January 30, 2004 at 14:08.
Old January 26, 2004, 15:11   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Sounds interesting. If it happens I wouldn't mind being a part of it.
Old January 26, 2004, 15:43   #3
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Local Time: 18:07
Hmm... Count me in.
I'm especialy interested in playing the three indian Nations...
Old January 26, 2004, 16:15   #4
Moonbars
Apolyton UniversityCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Desolation RowC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 17:07
Sounds interesting.. What sort of turn shedule would we be talking, running one turn per week? something like that?
Old January 26, 2004, 16:25   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I would hope we could move a little faster than one turn a week with it being teams. Although it might take a few days to set up the first turn with teams auctioning off Settlers, ships and the what not.

Okay, I added Spain and a team of all the Indians. If anyone else wants to join up under civ just post your choice.
Old January 26, 2004, 16:27   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

As long as the civ color isn't PINK I'll be part of the France civ team.
Old January 26, 2004, 17:28   #7
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

I will not have enough time to become a royal minister but i would like to be a brave member of the mighty england!
Old January 26, 2004, 17:39   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill
As long as the civ color isn't PINK I'll be part of the France civ team.
I don't remember what colors the Natives use but couldn't we use a Dark Blue for France, that would be somewhat appropriate.
Old January 26, 2004, 18:05   #9
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 12:07
I don't think the same team should be playing all the MesoAmerican natives, I won embarssingly easy playing the Aztecs in this conquest by only building two cities to support more units being built by the non capital cities and had two wonders finished before starting the aqaduct for the capital.

Granted that was against the computer, and several of the european AIs sold me a slave to sacifice.

(Some of the natives did as well, and the Mayan declaring war on me two times led to me getting even more slaves and my empire trippling in number of cities. I let them live though so that all of them loved me when I culturaly won.)

The English AI also got it's CPU handed to it by the Irqouis AI

Last edited by joncnunn; January 26, 2004 at 18:11.
Old January 26, 2004, 18:09   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Oh, when the Europeans are run by multiple humans instead of AI then eat the Natives alive. The Euros can coordinate their research and plan their colonies far superior to the AI as human players in my opinion.

But, if it seems to overwhelming we may need to change it. Thats what this discussion thread is for.
Old January 26, 2004, 18:16   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I don't have time to be the President and would probably be sproadic as a player, so I'd merely like to mostly lurk in on the French team if there's not a max number of players on each team.

(Because the French have 3 immedate neighbors with Scotand staring in French control.)
Old January 26, 2004, 18:23   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

The nice thing about this set up is those who can be active now can start the first colonies where as those who want to lurk or maybe be active later can start later colonies.

But you don't have to found colonies, you could bid on a ship and be Captain or Privateer and attack other nations ships and/or colonies. Theres a lot of different aspects to this.
Old January 26, 2004, 20:14   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Here's a rundown of what the civs have unit wise:

SPAIN
Seville: Settler(1), Caravels(2), Worker(1), Conquistidor(1), Pikemen(2)
Granada: Pikeman(1)
Barcelona: Pikeman(1) Caravel(1), Worker(1)
Madrid: Trebuchet(1), Pikemen(2), Longbowman(1)
Canary Islands: Pikemen(1)
Cagliari: Pikemen(1), Medieval Infantry(1), Caravel(1)
*1 Worker outside Madrid

PORTUGAL
Lisbon: Trebuchet(1), Pikemen(2), Longbowman(1), Caravels(2), Explorer(1)
Oporto: Pikemen(2)
Ceuta: Pikemen(1)
Madeira: Pikemen(1)
Azores: Pikemen(1)
Cape Verde Islands: Pikemen(1), Medieval Infantry(1), Caravel(1)
*1 Worker outside Lisbon

FRANCE
Paris: Trebuchet(1), Pikemen(3)
Bordeaux: Trebuchet(1), Pikeman(1), Settler(1), Caravels(2), Explorer(1)
Brest: Pikemen(1), Caravel(1)
Lyons: Longbowman(1), Worker(1), Pikeman(1)
Marseilles: Pikemen(1), Caravel(1)
Edinburgh: Pikemen(1), Medieval Infantry(1)
*1 Worker outside Paris

THE DUTCH
Amsterdam: Trebuchet(1), Pikemen(4), Caravels(2), Explorer(1), Settler(1)
Antwerp: Pikemen(2), Medieval Infantry(1), Caravels(2), Worker(1)
Brussels: Pikemen(2), Longbowman(1), Worker(1)
*1 Worker outside Amsterdam

ENGLAND
London: Trebuchet(1), Pikemen(2), Medieval Infantry(1), Caravels(2), Explorer(1), Settler(1)
York: Worker(1), Pikemen(2)
Bristol: Caravel(1), Longbowman(1), Worker(1), Pikeman(1)
Plymouth: Caravel(1), Pikemen(2)
Dublin: Pikeman(1)
*1 Worker outside London

I think we should have a rule that disallows land war in Europe. European civs can wage war in the New World but no attacking each other on land in the Old World.
Old January 26, 2004, 20:19   #14
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

My Lakota roots call to me, sign me up as at least a lurker in the Native American team.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old January 26, 2004, 20:46   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'll join Spain.

note, there are no iroquois in the MP version of the scenario.
Old January 26, 2004, 20:52   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

[19:47] Uber KruX: so, hows it goign to work
[19:47] Uber KruX: i read the thread but i'm still hazy on details
[19:48] Uber KruX: the euro-cities are not controlled by anyone?
[19:48] GhengisFarb: I figure we could bid like we did on our Feudal Team. If we only have a few people we could go ahead and start and let other people join later.
[19:49] Uber KruX: so, we COULD own the cities on the mainland?
[19:50] Uber KruX: you know what i would do?
[19:50] Uber KruX: bid for whatever a city produces
[19:50] Uber KruX: like, if i want a Frigate
[19:50] Uber KruX: i bid for a Frigate built in Oporto
[19:50] Uber KruX: or something
[19:51] Uber KruX: so, the lords could get a decent navy while still developing their colonies
[19:51] GhengisFarb: Post the question in the thread, with the two of us we can discuss rule possibilites and thsu iron out procedures
[19:51] Uber KruX: i'd imagine that each team could sort it out on their own
Old January 26, 2004, 20:55   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I was thinking that the starting cities could be considered the Crown's lands and it could use them to build Royal Navies and Forces, it wouldn't necessarily have to auction all of them off.

Of course colonial Governors could build their own ships and troops. Didn't George Washington start a war between the French and British as a colonial cuz he was feeling a little frisky?
Old January 26, 2004, 21:02   #18
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
Woudl be interesting to be a lurker for teh native team, or even a semi active participant.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old January 27, 2004, 02:05   #19
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I would like to join the English team as a member
Old January 27, 2004, 02:44   #20
Darekill
Prince

So if we play the natives there is one thing that would make it a bit to easy for us.
Two tribes playing a workerpump for tribe three who just goes and sacrifices a lot.
Hmm we'd have a cultural victory within a few turns
So it should be clear that we could not sacrifice indians but only those devils from oversea....
Old January 27, 2004, 16:47   #21
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Darekill
So it should be clear that we could not sacrifice indians but only those devils from oversea....
That would work, no sacrificing Natives unless your Spanish.

We probably need to pm and email some more people about this. This forum doesn't see too much traffic anymore.
Old January 27, 2004, 16:50   #22
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

So where are you going to set this up at Ghengis? Have you talked to Mark or Dan about private forums? If we don't have private forums it's pretty hard for multiple teams to function.
Old January 27, 2004, 17:48   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I'm sure we will need more interested members to get private forums here. MZ said we might be able to get a set up at MZO.
Old January 27, 2004, 18:06   #24
joncnunn
Emperor

And how do we enforce this unless all seven civs in Europe are played by humans?

And would those starting Spanish and Protoguese colonies in N Africa and just off the coast count as new world and old world? And how about Africa south of the Saharra desert?

I also checked out the differences between single player and muli player Age of Discovery, and the most important one is that the Irqouis aren't in the multiplayer one and are only in the single player.

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I think we should have a rule that disallows land war in Europe. European civs can wage war in the New World but no attacking each other on land in the Old World.
Old January 27, 2004, 18:08   #25
joncnunn
Emperor

Hum, also wouldn't the English team object to a rule that states they can't try to take Scotland over from the French?
Old January 27, 2004, 18:12   #26
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Possibly. But its embraces the spirit of the Age of Discovery concept more.
Old January 28, 2004, 00:03   #27
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Hey, the french should just leave Scotland peacefully....

or I'm on the wrong team....
Old January 28, 2004, 09:59   #28
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

There doesn't seem to be a whole flood of people interested. Perhaps the Euro Players could all merge onto one Euro team and we could just post stuff in public.

That would also allow the passersby to look at whats going on and potentially join in without having to join a Private Forum.

The only question with this proposal is what to do about the Natives. Would the Natives be willing to join into a Euro team?
Old January 28, 2004, 13:09   #29
Darekill
Prince

sure.
Old January 28, 2004, 15:41   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

On the other hand I really like the idea of being able to Privateer someone else's ships and treasure. Any chance we could play the game with screenshots of our maps of the New World?

Just as we start up, maybe some others will join if we get it going.