Old January 28, 2004, 21:13   #31
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 11:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I almost always attack whoever pisses me off first. Basically, whoever wants me to leave their territory, tries to move a settler accross my boarders, or demands 17 gold and a map... this is usually whoever is closest, since they have have likely met me first, and have most probably grown tired of me the first.
Also, any civ that ever demands 17 gold and a map quickly goes on my hitlist.
Old January 28, 2004, 22:26   #32
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 13:07
Quote:
Originally posted by okblacke

I believe any Civ becomes aggressive if it feels it has enough of a lead.

In C3C, it seems to always be the Dutch or the Celts, and one of the Native American tribes (Inca or Maya, I can never keep 'em straight, I think the latter) that turn into kick-ass opponents. They all have the Ag trait which, as it turns out, plays into the AI strategy.

Other oddities I've noticed: The Spanish always attack early on, extremely feebly, and are usually in the stone age forever. The Arabs will expand tremendously, developing a huge early point lead, and then will stagnate in the middle ages. (Some political commentary there, perhaps?) The Vikings flounder depressingly.

There's a message somewhere on 'poly about how certain cultures favor certain structures, and this is why they often flounder.

It adds a strange sort of repetitiveness to games. You quickly learn who the threats are, when they're going to be threatening, and when they're going to cease being threatening.

[ok]
Haven't noticed that about the Spanish. They tend to be a medium strength civ with lots of upgraded units but more peaceful. The Myans are one othe civ's that give me trouble. hey sneak attacked me on my last game but I defeated them and captured a border town leading to Spanish Iron (which I had none of but was buying from the Romans) Made Peace with them but they continued their war with the Mongols (I had bought them into my war and they were a buffer zone between me and the Myans). This war kicked off the Myan GA and when my attention returned to the Myans (with the Spanish Iron secured) they had a virtual wall of defensive units (pikes/javelin throwers/ spearmen) in my way. While I did defeat them they were a very difficut opponet (luckily I was able to get to them before sanitation)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old January 29, 2004, 02:22   #33
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 13:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
I attack everyone.

Ah, but the question, my dear nothingness, pertained as to what order you attacked them in.

Further to my previous post, the Russians having been dealt with, I had the choice of Portugal or Scandinavia. As it turned out, a RoP with Portugal got me the manuverability to take Scandinavia quickly.

Now the English have decided to cancel the RoP so a turn or two to redeploy and consolodate the Scandinavian province and Queen Elizabeth will likely be next.

Old January 29, 2004, 02:35   #34
Justin69002003
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:07
As with all thing that I do, the order in which I attack usually is choosen at random. I use a system of cards that "tell" me which Civ. I must attack, usually its the civ that is the strongest, but sometimes its the civ that just tics me off the most.
Old January 29, 2004, 02:42   #35
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
I attack everyone.
at the same time ????
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old January 29, 2004, 13:10   #36
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 12:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Boracks

Ah, but the question, my dear nothingness, pertained as to what order you attacked them in.

Further to my previous post, the Russians having been dealt with, I had the choice of Portugal or Scandinavia. As it turned out, a RoP with Portugal got me the manuverability to take Scandinavia quickly.

Now the English have decided to cancel the RoP so a turn or two to redeploy and consolodate the Scandinavian province and Queen Elizabeth will likely be next.

In the order I find them of course. Diplomacy other than for tribute is for the weak!
Old January 29, 2004, 17:03   #37
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 09:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber Haven't noticed that about the Spanish.
Perhaps just coincidental; in the games I've played they often come up on a small island.

Quote:
The Myans are one othe civ's that give me trouble.
The Mayans are killers, no doubt. I don't even bother with Ancient age wonders with them around.

[ok]