Old January 27, 2004, 16:57   #1
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 12:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Rise of Rome Victory
I'm excited to announce a victory in Rise of Rome as Rome! I played Regent level. Persia was ahead by score, and I won by completing the scenerio objective with only 9 turns remaining, so it was pretty exciting. This is a fun scenerio.

Lucked out by getting MGL during first few turns, so immediately took Carthage with two armies. Captured Carthaginian cities, then Celts and Goth. Never fought with Macedon or Persia, but had units ready if the win was out of reach. Won despite waiting way, way, too long to build FP.

Only built Temple of Artemis and Bacchanalia great wonders. I found both of them really useful.

Just had to tell someone. Wife won't understand.
Slax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 17:01   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
Re: Rise of Rome Victory
Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
Just had to tell someone. Wife won't understand.
That's the truth. Mine doesn't care for civ either. But at least she likes video games too so she doesn't mind when I spend a few hours playing.

Congrats on the win!
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 17:25   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:10
Great, maybe I should start to look at playing them after the offical Feb patch.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 18:57   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

I like playing it as the Greeks. The army you start out REALLY helps, and the Hoplite is pretty good. It gets pretty good odds against the Immortals. The Persians are pushovers.
Old January 27, 2004, 19:05   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've won as Rome on Monarch and Persia on Emperor. Fun fun scenario.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 19:19   #6
Slax
Prince

A few more points:

The new emphasis on armies is good. I had 4 (5?) armies and one loose leader by the end. I also used one MGL to build the FP.

Skywalker - The AI Greeks kept trying to colonize distant lands instead of expanding their own region. Persia would have finished them off if they had more turns. Also, The AI Persia would have been smart to keep the Greek cities instead of razing them, especially with landmass and population as objectives. Those were two AI weeknesses in this game.

By the way, I plan to slowly work my way through all the scenerios in order before doing the Epic game. I don't have to win each one, but complete it. I got the game at Christmas. I wonder how long it will take?
Old January 28, 2004, 02:21   #7
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Congrats Slax, this is my favorite scenario out of, all of them.
Old January 28, 2004, 09:15   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
Skywalker - The AI Greeks kept trying to colonize distant lands instead of expanding their own region. Persia would have finished them off if they had more turns. Also, The AI Persia would have been smart to keep the Greek cities instead of razing them, especially with landmass and population as objectives. Those were two AI weeknesses in this game.
Yeah, well the AI is stupid in my game the Romans and the Carthaginians were still fighting over Sicily hundreds of years later
Old January 28, 2004, 13:29   #9
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 18:10
I played this on Emperor and got my ass handed to me. I foolishly let Carthage build a huge fleet. I do mean huge. At least 50 galleys went up past the Iberian penninsula up to England and Northern Europe where they unloaded Elephants and Cavalry that attacked from the North and tore up my empire that I had taken from the Celts. I eventually pushed them back into the sea but after much difficulty.

I also didn't realize Caesar was an army until later and tried to take Sicily. Foolish as Carthage fleets were all over me. Fortunately I returned safely only loosing 1 galley with 2 legions.

I ended up wiping out the Goths and Celts but didn't have enough land to win. Next time I think I'll build the Temple of Artemis.
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2004, 02:38   #10
erichb
Settler

Local Time: 17:10
I played that one as the Romans a few times before I finally beat it. The key in my opinion was going after Carthage as quickly as possible spending very little time to gear up. Assemble the army as soon as possible, take Sicily then use it as a jumping off point to go straight for the jugular and take out Carthago. At that point it's just a drawn out process to take the remaining Carthaginian cities. It worked so well in fact, that I was able to devote most of my core cities to getting all of the wonders available at the start of the game.
erichb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2004, 05:08   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yep, I took Sicily real fast. But that still isn't an easy scenario. At least for me. This one and the Napoleon were probably the most challenging for me.

The greeks gave me a lot of trouble in this game. And the celts. It was really pissing me off. because numerically, my units were superior in every way. But I was getting my ass handed to me by swordsmen and hoplites. I gave up on those 2 nations.

I took Carthage and the Egyptians. Those are the easiest. Although takes a lot of work moving all those units accross the sea and accross the coastline. And I did attack Persia. They weren't too much trouble.
Old February 6, 2004, 08:56   #12
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

I found the key to be remaining nice with both Greece and the Celts while pursuing war with Carthage. You do NOT want to get stuck in a two-front war in this game. Diplomacy is critical here.

After you take down Carthage, you have so many options that it's hard to lose. You can squash Egypt, turn on the Celts or remove the Greeks from contention. My only complaint in my game was that the Persians played no role whatsoever. Other than keeping the Greeks occupied, they were not even a factor, despite their substantial power.
Tall Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2004, 12:21   #13
erichb
Settler

I agree that diplomacy is key. I noticed that if you go to the diplomacy screen during the very first turn you can get a worker from two of the civs (Egypt being one, I forget the other) and set up a number of diplomatic agreements. What worked for me is keeping everyone else at war with Carthage and Persia.

Greece will not mess with you if you keep them in a perpetual state of war with Persia, that also has the bonus of keeping Persia from getting too strong.
Old February 6, 2004, 17:19   #14
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Only two?

I got 3 workers in the first turn when I played one turn as the Romans.
(Egypt, Persia, and Greece)

I was mainly interested in the science tree than actually playing it right then.

I'm thinking that I will want to play this one as the Romans; Persians start with too many undeveloped cities for my taste.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2004, 03:32   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I never try to get workers. I really need to utilize diplomacy more. But I usually don't like exploiting diplomacy.

But I don't understand why they gave you settlers. What did you trade for them?
Old February 7, 2004, 09:34   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger
I found the key to be remaining nice with both Greece and the Celts while pursuing war with Carthage. You do NOT want to get stuck in a two-front war in this game. Diplomacy is critical here.

After you take down Carthage, you have so many options that it's hard to lose. You can squash Egypt, turn on the Celts or remove the Greeks from contention. My only complaint in my game was that the Persians played no role whatsoever. Other than keeping the Greeks occupied, they were not even a factor, despite their substantial power.
I found no evidence (as the Greeks) of their "substantial power", as my offensive was limited only be the time it took my vet hoplite army to heal
Old February 7, 2004, 15:12   #17
Tall Stranger
Warlord

Ah, I should have been more specific. I was playing as the Romans, after all, and had no occasion to interfere with their general power rise. In fact, I wanted them to remain a check on the Greeks, so that I could turn my attention to the Greeks once the Carthaginians and Egyptians were taken care of.
Old February 7, 2004, 16:26   #18
Switch
Prince

Oooh, good strategies . What I've been looking for...

Just a quick question: as Rome, should I use my beginning leader to create a simple Legionary I army of three, or should I wait? Or should I do a hybrid, start with a couple Legionaries, and later add a third Legionary II or III? I figure a strong army is the best way to take down Carthage, eh?
Old February 8, 2004, 11:15   #19
Tall Stranger
Warlord

I would use it now. I can't remember how far you are from Legionary II's when you first start, but it's still probably not worth waiting. You should be able to produce at least another 1-2 MGLs in your wars, since you're going to be doing a LOT of fighting.
Old February 8, 2004, 11:40   #20
Proserpine
Warlord

Quote:
[SIZE=1]

But I don't understand why they gave you settlers. What did you trade for them?
They don't give settlers, just workers. Trade maps or communications w. Celts (whom you meet on first turn).

A question: is it worth trading techs - at any point - as the tech "lead" doesn't give much advantage, and by the end everyone left seems to have all trhe techs anyway?
Proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2004, 11:41   #21
Proserpine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
Oooh, good strategies . What I've been looking for...

Just a quick question: as Rome, should I use my beginning leader to create a simple Legionary I army of three, or should I wait? Or should I do a hybrid, start with a couple Legionaries, and later add a third Legionary II or III? I figure a strong army is the best way to take down Carthage, eh?
You are 1 tech from Leg. II, I believe but it can take awhile even to get there. Why wait?
Proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2004, 04:58   #22
erichb
Settler

I also think that trading tech, especially on the first turn of the game isn't a bad idea. The AI usually values it pretty highly and if you are playing well should very quickly establish a tech lead over the computer players.
Old February 10, 2004, 12:45   #23
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Just wanted to note for SirOsis and others that IMO Rise of Rome is both fun and much more difficult to win on a first try than the usual game is.

I played it emperor and still have 15 turns left. We have 28% of the land but only 29% of population. It will likely be a loss as you need 50% of the pop at the end. The superman Legions are fun, and I've never seen the AI have anywhere near as many strong mounted units as they do in this scenario.

I highly recommend giving it a try. But much of fun is probably in the unknown aspect of the environment. So, take the first try seriously.
Old February 10, 2004, 13:51   #24
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Thanks for the info jsheir. I hope to get to this soon.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2004, 16:00   #25
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

As Rome, you start with a one tech lead over every other major power; maybe more over the minor ones.

That particlar tech is worth more to all AIs than what each of them can afford, even Persia. (One of the things I discovered when I tried out one turn from Persia perspective.)

Persian AI won't be able to go 100% except at the highest levels due to the combination of having so few worked road tiles and having so many more units over the support limits.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2004, 18:27   #26
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 18:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger
My only complaint in my game was that the Persians played no role whatsoever. Other than keeping the Greeks occupied, they were not even a factor, despite their substantial power.
In the game I lost they were a serious power. They wiped out Egypt and were by far the strongest civ.
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2004, 10:37   #27
Slax
Prince

Sometimes its easy to forget that your legions can build roads. During peace-time put them to work!