View Poll Results: Should I give it a try?
YES welcome 6 100.00%
No, Play some scenarios first and try later 0 0%
No, You need to devote more time to PBEM 0 0%
No, for ther reason below.....(post reason please) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27, 2004, 18:07   #1
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Shoul I give it a shot?
I was just browsing the apolyton site and had never read anything in this forum before. The PBEM idea sounds like alot of fun, I play MP with my wife at home on our seperate machines but have no net access so playing against stronger players is out of the pic. This seems like a good oportunity to play against a variety of strong and experienced players.

The only draw backs I see are...
1. I all ready take part in the democracy game and am takeing a more active role in Succession game, I'm not sure how much civ time PBEM would take up. (I could prob play twice per week with no issues)

2. No net access at home so unless i DL on a friday I will have to play during the weekdays.

3. I am inexperienced at PBEM and while I read the FAQ and guide I can't say I will do very well.

4. (The Biggie) I do not usually play scenario's, Mostly SP games. While I have no aversion to them I just have found few that I am interested in. This means I would be REALLY new to this whole arena of civving.

So if you guys don't mind giving a newby a shot let me know, and feel free to make some suggestions on a game to "break me in"

BTW I am using MPG edition.

Last edited by Zedd; January 27, 2004 at 18:28.
Old January 27, 2004, 18:59   #2
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Re: Shoul I give it a shot?
Welcome of course; we can always use new players!

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedd
1. I all ready take part in the democracy game and am takeing a more active role in Succession game, I'm not sure how much civ time PBEM would take up. (I could prob play twice per week with no issues)
It of course depends on the scen, but usually one game takes more than 10 minutes per day.

Quote:
2. No net access at home so unless i DL on a friday I will have to play during the weekdays.
Several players here don't ever play on weekends, so this should be fine.

Quote:
3. I am inexperienced at PBEM and while I read the FAQ and guide I can't say I will do very well.
If you follow these precise steps to a T, it's foolproof:

1. Download the file posted by the person who plays before you in the scenario's turn order. Obviously save it into the same folder as the scenario you are playing.

2. Select options in this order:
- Multiplayer Game
- Network Game
- TCP/IP
- Load a Saved Multiplayer Game

3. Select the .net file that you downloaded.

4. Press enter until you arrive at the window where you select your civ. All information before this is irrelevant to the game.

5. Select your gender and name.

6. Go to Game Options in the Game menu, and make sure "Always Wait at End of Turn" is toggled on.

7. Play your turn however you want.

8. Once you have moved everything you wish to move and have micromanaged your cities as you like, activate a single unit. While it is flashing, hold the Ctrl button and hit N while holding. This closes out all of your unit's movement values. This is very important because if you forget, before the next player begins his turn, the AI will move any of your units that still have movement values (i.e. fortified garrisons, planes sleeping in carriers, etc).

8. After hitting Ctrl-N, save the file with your civ and the date. For example, Japan_1941_Dec.

9. Post the file on the thread along with a report of what you did in the turn, and anything else relevant.

Quote:
4. (The Biggie) I do not usually play scenario's, Mostly SP games. While I have no aversion to them I just have found few that I am interested in. This means I would be REALLY new to this whole arena of civving.
What particular scens do you like? I'm sure there'll be enough people interested in one of them to start up a game.

Just FYI, here are links to the CFC and CDG PBEM forums. CDG's is nearly more active than the other two combined, so there might be better odds of finding a game to join there or of a new one succeeding.
Old January 28, 2004, 05:39   #3
sas
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 17:10
Welcome Zedd!

As long as you have played Civ2 and know the game, you have nothing to fear

The reason I started playing PBEM's was because I grew tired of single player games. The best way to learn is simply to play PBEM's. Start out with one or two, and if you really like it you can join more later.

And we certaily need all the players we can get our hands on
Old January 28, 2004, 12:59   #4
Eivind IV
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:10
Re: Shoul I give it a shot?
Quote:
The PBEM idea sounds like alot of fun, I play MP with my wife at home on our seperate machines but have no net access so playing against stronger players is out of the pic.
Welcome you are!

PBEM is great fun, but be aware that you get hooked before you know it.

BTW: It sounds like you have found yourself the perfect wife. All the the girlfriends I've had has laughed at me when I play civ2.

Consider yourself lucky!

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!
Old January 28, 2004, 14:50   #5
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:10
Thanks all, I have subscribed to the forum and will be looking into what game I would like to join.

Kobra,
I am very lucky, when we were dateing my wife laughed at me also and would tease me about spending so much time playing the same game. One day she seid "If you like that game so much why don't we play together?" That was about a year ago and she is now good enough that she can give me a real hard time playing in prince mode.
This game is just plain addictive for everyone, Gotta love it.