Old January 29, 2004, 01:10   #151
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Instruct the children in the path which they should tred and they shall not stray far from it.

Some of them are thick headed so you just have keep pounding.

No northern Democratic can beat George Bush.

Plus, anyway, Ramo, why be a cowardly Democratic. Don't you have the balls to attack Bush on his turf? Why try to steal a state when you could win them all?
Old January 29, 2004, 01:11   #152
Pax
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:10
both had advantages and disadvantages. I personally am surprised Bush got elcted Governor let alone President.
Old January 29, 2004, 01:31   #153
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
No northern Democratic can beat George Bush.
Repeating it over and over again ain't gonna make it so.

Quote:
Plus, anyway, Ramo, why be a cowardly Democratic. Don't you have the balls to attack Bush on his turf? Why try to steal a state when you could win them all?
I'm certainly no Democrat, and I don't care whether or not the Democratic nominee wins all 50 states; I just want Shrub to lose.

And attacking him on his own ground takes money - more than any Democrat is likely to have, not balls.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 29, 2004, 10:30   #154
MrFun
Emperor

Some morning news today (Thursday):

Dean is asking about 500 of his staffers if they are willing to work without a paycheck for the next two weeks. This means that his campaign funding is obviously going in the red.
Old January 29, 2004, 10:33   #155
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Regardless of whether or not Shrub cheated (which he did ), Gore should have won by a fair margin with the advantages he had going into the race. He was ultimately the crappier politician.
I don't think anyone would dispute you there.

Gore should have won, easily. The fact that it was so close at all showed that he didn't deserve to win. It's like when a football team blames the refs when they're upset by an inferior opponent.
Old January 29, 2004, 10:57   #156
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pax Africanus
The best ticket too beat President Bush would probabably be Kerry/Dean? Whose coming with me?
I'd say Kerry/Gore, or even Dean/Gore. I think Gore didn't run so he could take the VP spot, because everyone's fighting dirty against Dean especially, so if Dean wins, he probably wouldn't want one of the others as his running mate. Also, it sets Gore up for a shot at presidency in 2012, or 2008 if the Dems lose. Sure, he'll have to face Hillary, but after losing that closely, it shows he's electable. Like Nixon losing to JFK, I think Gore will come back and one day be President. I can see the Dems nominating Hillary in 2008, but I can't see her winning. I think she's too left to be electable

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 29, 2004, 11:00   #157
MrFun
Emperor

Dean is not going to do very well from here on probably due to his finances -- see my last post, Drogue.
Old January 29, 2004, 11:39   #158
Ned
King

Local Time: 09:10
Dean has to win a primary soon or it is OVER.
Old January 29, 2004, 11:40   #159
Ned
King

I also agree that it is time to talk VP.

Kerry needs a Southerner. There are two in the race. Edwards and Clark. Who do you think Kerry will pick?
Old January 29, 2004, 11:43   #160
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Dean campaign is broke!?! Man, when they ran his campaign like a internet start-up, they went all the way, didn't they?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 29, 2004, 11:48   #161
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I also agree that it is time to talk VP.

Kerry needs a Southerner. There are two in the race. Edwards and Clark. Who do you think Kerry will pick?
Edwards or someone not running. Him and Clark don't seem like a good pair to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Dean is not going to do very well from here on probably due to his finances -- see my last post, Drogue.
Neither has Kerry. Kerry ran huge amounts of ads for Iowa and NH, spending very little in the Feb 3rd states. He was apparently the only candidate not already running TV ads just after Iowa (someone posted the article then).

Dean started with $40 million, Kerry with less than $40 million. My money's that Dean still has more than Kerry. Maybe not enough to challenge Bush, but enough to stand a good chance in the Primary. Also, Edwards has had peanuts (comparitively) the whole time, IIRC.

They all need more money, and I don't think Dean is worse hit than Kerry, who asked supporters to get more funding. I think Dean just needs the money now, for the Feb 3rd states, which is why he's asked.

Old January 29, 2004, 11:53   #162
MrFun
Emperor

So Dean has more money than Kerry in terms of campaign financing, yet Dean is the one asking 500 staffers to go for two weeks without pay??
Old January 29, 2004, 11:57   #163
Drogue
staff

Yes. Dean probably reckons the money is worth the publicity for it. It may even be a stunt to get more donations. Kerry had the boost of money from Iowa, but I can't believe Dean's spent more than Kerry and is losing as much as he is. Unless he's already spent a lot in Feb 3rd states, which Kerry hasn't, in which case Kerry has more money, but Dean has better publicity in those states, putting Dean in a stronger position.

Old January 29, 2004, 12:04   #164
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
No northern democrat can beat Bush.
No Senator since Kennedy has been elected President. There. Now you have something that you can repeat ad nauseum that won't be as annoying to the people that read this thread and will be more correct. Or you could at least try to do a credible job of questioning the fallacy that the Dems can win without carrying at least parts of the South? Harping on the Northern Democrat designation is ignorant and only encourages people to ignore you.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 29, 2004, 12:05   #165
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Yes. Dean probably reckons the money is worth the publicity for it. It may even be a stunt to get more donations. Kerry had the boost of money from Iowa, but I can't believe Dean's spent more than Kerry and is losing as much as he is. Unless he's already spent a lot in Feb 3rd states, which Kerry hasn't, in which case Kerry has more money, but Dean has better publicity in those states, putting Dean in a stronger position.
We'll see how this turns out.
Old January 29, 2004, 12:06   #166
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
No Senator since Kennedy has been elected President. There. Now you have something that you can repeat ad nauseum that won't be as annoying to the people that read this thread and will be more correct. Or you could at least try to do a credible job of questioning the fallacy that the Dems can win without carrying at least parts of the South? Harping on the Northern Democrat designation is ignorant and only encourages people to ignore you.
My thoughts exactly -- the Civil War is over, Jimmy.
Old January 29, 2004, 12:09   #167
Ned
King

Yeah, put it in the bank. It's Kerry-Edwards.
Old January 29, 2004, 12:41   #168
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

What about Gov. Richardson of New Mexico?

It could secure a state that narrowly and surprisingly went blue in 2000, and might win back some of the hispanic voters lured by Bush's amnesty program, which could put Arizona in play, and give a boost in Florida, and build a firewall in California.
Old January 29, 2004, 12:57   #169
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Richardson looks good to me but I am not sure that Kerry would want him. I just don't know.

Yeah, you yanks just keep on thinging the war is over. Just keep thinking that.
Old January 29, 2004, 13:42   #170
chequita guevara
Emperor

The Dean campaign says it has $3 million, but that it owes $3 million that it must pay back. They've been running a lot of ads in the Feb 3, primary states, plus all the ads countering the Gephart attack ads in Iowa.

Isn't Richardson a Republican?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 29, 2004, 14:26   #171
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Isn't Richardson a Republican?
no

How often do primary opponents team up on a ticket?
Old January 29, 2004, 14:31   #172
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I can see the Dems nominating Hillary in 2008, but I can't see her winning. I think she's too left to be electable
Hillary isnt really that left, shes just the bete noire of the right, largely cause she said "mean" things about Reagan and Bush sr in '92, which the right thought were hypocritical, cause they didnt like her persona, and cause they resented her saving clinton from the gennifer flowers scandal. etc etc.

On policy shes a good new democrat. Supported the Iraq war, and has been more consistent in that support since than say Kerry has been. Yeah she pushed national health insurance, but so did most Dems in '93. There were some moderate plans floating about, but there were reasonable policy critiques of those alternatives.

In reality the only current dem candidate whose clearly to Hilarys "right" is Lieberman. Shes certainly not farther left than Kerry or Gore.
Old January 29, 2004, 14:44   #173
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
no

How often do primary opponents team up on a ticket?
Rarely, but it does happen.
Old January 29, 2004, 16:59   #174
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Wow... I was floored when I heard Dean's campaign is broke (and they changed campaign managers). Yikes... it's not going well for Dean.

Oh, and there is NO WAY Gore will be Veep again. And it'll have to be someone more associated with the South or West, and more likely a governor type, IMO. I think two Senators on the ticket may be a bit risky (and tempting fate ).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 29, 2004, 17:11   #175
MrFun
Emperor

I'm always pleased to oblige, Imran -- you can send me some money later for leaking this to you.
Old January 29, 2004, 17:14   #176
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I didn't hear it first from you, Funboy .

In fact I was about to start my own thread on it until I saw it had been posted here.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 29, 2004, 17:58   #177
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
I didn't hear it first from you, Funboy .

In fact I was about to start my own thread on it until I saw it had been posted here.
YOU LIE
Old January 29, 2004, 22:24   #178
Ned
King

Think, Kennedy-Johnson.

Two senators.

Two bitter campaign rivals in the 1960 presidentia lnomination race.

One was a Northerner who sounded like a "Conservative." The other was a Southerner who ended up being a strong Liberal.
Old January 29, 2004, 22:46   #179
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 11:10
EDWARDS-KERRY! WOOHOO! GO EDDIE!
Old January 30, 2004, 06:04   #180
Ned
King

Mr.Mitchell, Don't you have that backwards?