Old March 4, 2004, 21:32   #61
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Some interesting stories about parts of the game in the forum. That part is open to all.
Old March 4, 2004, 21:40   #62
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Ah, ok....another world!
Old March 5, 2004, 15:19   #63
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Well I finished up with a diplomatic victory.

I did not expand as much as most here have done and when confronted by shortages of oil, rubber and aluminum and uranium, I decided the most expeditious way out was to BUY a UN vote, which is what I did.

Fun game, I cant wait until the next one
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au501 victory.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	66317  
Old March 5, 2004, 17:00   #64
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 18:11
The year?
Old March 5, 2004, 17:14   #65
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Lemme check, early 1900's.

I tried a couple of grabbing resources wars first but I just couldn't compete, finally I came up with the Buy the vote strategy
Old March 5, 2004, 17:31   #66
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Score was 2006

The Netherlands had 7 of 10 spaceship parts built

Next highest score was 1729 by the Netherlands.

They and the Russians were the powerhouses in this game.

Good thing I built the UN,
Old March 5, 2004, 17:31   #67
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Hermann the Lombard, Long of Wind and Slow of Play

AU501 – DAR6 (Part I) Stock, Merely Monarch

1540 – Byzantine oceanographers in frigates submit applications to Russian Heliopolis University, and almost sink an Ironclad…which then sinks a Frigate. FLIGHT! Start Mass Production (6t). Ur finishes Cathedral and starts an Airport; I want one on each land mass. Many warships and transports launched. Reallocated production to more modern units. Hmm…we can’t defend the far-flung tundra islands with only local resources, a point brought home by a Russian Ironclad off Akshak, which lacks even a harbor.

1545 – Smoke-Jaguar offers 8gpt for Incense. England and the Netherlands sign an alliance vs Russia, so now all of the Third World (France and England) has joined this World War (everyone against Russia, started by an apparent fraternity prank on Bananaland). William gives 17gpt for Gems. Tarsus completes a Factory; we want a Cathedral but start Infantry instead. At the University of Trebizond, advanced engineering students start constructing a flying machine, to be called a Bomber. Theodora doubts the wisdom of flying under the influence of alcohol; the enginerds explain that it’s the people below who will get bombed.

A new frontier in zoological research is opened as field teams land on the Russian island of Bryansk. The field teams include the famous 2nd Zoological Army (Knights and AC). [This may turn out to be a diversion or a reconnaissance in force…or we may have caught the Russians napping.] Meanwhile, Russian students are dropping out of Heliopolis U in droves, apparently unable to cope with the new ideas delivered by the Dromons and Destroyers offshore.

1550 – William renews the MPP. It seems we are not the only field teams investigating Bryansk Island. Mounted Russian students are involved in a brawl near the south end of the island, but we can’t see the other participants. Our field teams are admitted to Abydos to study their specimens of indigenous fauna. (Start harbor in lieu of expensive airport.) A major research expedition is assembling in the canal city of Ohrid, eager to see the much larger collections available at the larger Russian universities. The newsletter at tiny Akshak College receive unsolicited manuscripts from a Russian Ironclad; the editor is not pleased.

1555 – Smoke-Jaguar calls to cancel the ROP, but renews even up, then signs an MPP with the Dutch…and declares war on Katerina. English Men O’War also submit applications to Heliopolis as Mayan Ironclads approach. The ivy-covered halls of Constantinople U produce the 6th Zoological Army; no early admission is granted as the committee considers. Built Taormina at the NW tip of Hermann’s Hideaway (West Island); no further hotels will be permitted as the beaches are getting crowded.

1560 – MASS PRODUCTION (start Motor Transport—6t—to be followed by Radio).

1565 – Student brawls get ugly as the 2nd Zoological Army barges in to Hierconopolis on Bryansk Island. Headline: “Byzantine Bombardment Bounces Russian Rubber.” (Editors live for that sort of thing!) An Elite Frigate bombards a Russian Ironclad, but an English Man o’War sinks it. Poacher.

1570 – A brave team of vulcanologists returns from “cleaning” Mt. Fujikillyouall (brave, but schtupid). The largest zoological expedition in Byzantine history—dare I say in all of academic history!—departs Ohrid for the fabled Russian mountains, plains, grassland, and everywhere else. [FIVE transports, 3 armies, 8 artillery, miscellaneous infantry and cavalry, and two elderly elites hoping to find cripples (even though we are now building armies). Armies can’t rush Minor Wonders and Big City Improvements).]

1575 – The first successful flying machine is sent to Tyrana on the east coast of Byzantine Hatti; we can’t wait to show it to our Russian colleagues. Their eyes should pop…among other things. Trade Electronics to Maya for Wines and Silks as our people are becoming accustomed to a luxurious lifestyle. Declined to trade Flight and Mass Prod to the Dutch for Radio. Embassy opened in London: Pop 12, 20 shields, Magellan, Wall Street in 13. Embassy opened in Avignon: Pop 5 and only 7 shields! England signs a military alliance with us vs Russia.

1580 – Heraclea launches a new oceanographic research vessel equipped to carry flying machines, and christened the R.S. Theodora II. (Apparently modern shipwrights have forgotten the lesson painfully learned after the sinking of the original R.S. Theodora.) The Russian Rubber continues bouncing.

1585 – Russian oceanographers arrive off Heliopolis, apparently jealous of the Byzantine and English scientists who have established a field camp on the mountain outside the city. The scientists use pArty Poppers to redecorate the Russian Ironclads, and a Dromon damages a Caravel…which then sinks our Elite Frigate. (Seafaring? What seafaring?) The Frigate is avenged by a Cruiser/Destroyer team.

The 5th Zoological Army (Infantry) demands admission to Heliopolis, which reluctantly admits the Byzantine students (who demand fewer term papers) and scientists (who demand tenure); those newly admitted are delighted to find the harbor and barracks intact. Irate Cossack frat rats try to stage a panty raid in Heliopolis, but the local fraternities defend their sister sororities. On Bryansk Island, the 2nd Zoological Army (Knights) enters the namesake city, completing the field study there. [I guess it wasn’t a feint after all!]

OK, now we’ll trade Mass Prod and Flight to the Dutch for Radio and 80gpt, to enter the Modern Age next turn.

1590 – Motor Transport, and The Modern Age The Zoological Academy is delighted to have the field of Ecology opened for study. The sanitary engineers are also pleased, but others would have preferred studies more directly applicable to the field work in Russia.

It must be time for the Heliopolis Bowl Game, as the Russian team shows up with many busloads of fanatic supporters. Some of the fans appear to be from the Society for Creative Anachronism: 3 Inf, 2 Musket, 2 Longbow, 2 Pike, and 5 Spear. The Russian team relies on the old single-wing offense, and is stunned by the newly-developed aerial game of the Byzantines, as the “bombs” of the flying machines devastate the Russian secondary (followed by naval bombardment, followed by Arty). With the game opened up like that, the Byzantine ground game seals the win. The Rhodes scholar quarterback (with the unlikely name of Irene) is honored by the old academic honor, and is named Military Great Leader. Theodora orders parades in honor of the victory, and Irene boards a transport back to Tyrana, then by train to Tarsus, where he dedicates Wall Street. In a flurry of academic activity, research is started toward Fission. (Theodora does not understand how splitting something can unite nations; the advisors despair of explaining the point.) A Solar Plant is begun in Hattusas. (Theodora does not understand why the treasury should pay for a tanning center, but then she’s never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

1595 – A few stubborn Russian fans think they can avenge the Bowl Game defeat off the field, but are swept away by the triumphant Byzantine crowd. The Russian Rubber keeps bouncing (we need something amphibious to get rid of those stubborn workers). The Zoologists can’t wait to enter Elephantine, as there must be more Big Gray Beasts there!

1600 – Harran University opens a new department called the Intelligence Agency. (Theodora now understands why her advisors never made sense, this explains their lack.) The Zoologists eagerly enter Elephantine, but are outraged to discover that the Russian Big Gray Beast paper is a hoax the magnitude of Piltdown Man! The city is almost razed out of anger, but Theodora orders that it be preserved as a lesson in bogus science. However, she also orders that all rail and road access to the field study area be severed to minimize Russian frat pranks; the flying machines cut a swath six tiles long across the entire peninsula.
Old March 5, 2004, 17:34   #68
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

AU501 – DAR6 (Part II) Stock, Merely Monarch

1605 – The Elderly (but Elite) Knights of Ni are too much for crippled Russian Cavalry lacking Shrubbery. The Head Knight is NOT honored as a Scientific Great Leader, but rather gets the same title as the most-honored Zoologists and Quarterbacks, the M.G.L. He is rushed to Heliopolis and there rushes an Airport, and thus passes into history.

New all-terrain vehicles are ready to expand fieldwork in Russia; these are given a bizarre name: Terrain Access for Non-Kosher Scholars, henceforward known by the acronym. [Well, if you can come up with a better “K” then let me hear it!] The first two are airlifted to Ur to be added to the waiting 6th Zoological Army.

1610 – Some dummy didn’t react to the Russian Galleon approaching Kadesh on South Hatti Island. (“I thought it was just a cruise ship!” he screamed on the rack; Theodora got up on the wrong side of her cage that day.) Two Cossacks and two Infantry land, all vets. Theodora orders the upgrade of defenders, the rushing of an Airport in Ankuwa, and sends reinforcements from home via Transport. Unfortunately the Transport won’t arrive until next turn.

The 5th Zoological Army gains admission to Thebes, but finds that all the famous hieroglyphs have been defaced with Cyrillic graffiti. Flying machines from the Theo 2 cut off the sole Russian coal field and the sole remaining horse farm. The Russian Rubber bouncers have now cleared an area two tiles deep, and Smolensk is rioting. Meanwhile, Dutch zoologists have taken over adminstration of the College at Alexandria (however, they were sorely disappointed by the quality of the library). In a fit of pique they cut off Russian access to the colleges at Khabarovsk and El-Amarna.

1615 – Elizabeth of England offers MPP and ROP, but expects to get 2gpt for the deal. Theodora thinks that Elizabeth is having delusions of grandeur, but decides to humor her royal cousin. (Queens have to stick together, you know.) William renews the 45gpt deal for our Incense and Ivory.

Down on South Hatti Island, the Russians sack and burn Vidin, but fail in their assault on Kadesh (stripping the other cities and the upgrades were just enough!) Better still, they did NOT try to sieze Akuwit before the hasty completion of the airport. The first small flying machine demonstration (near Akuwit) does not impress the Russians, but then two large flying machines show up and knock the Russians down to 1hp each. Constantine’s Cavalry (the 3rd Zoological Army) lands in Agade accompanied by vet infantry. The fresh vet infantry attacks the 1hp cavalry…and dies. “This is your rifle; it works better if you take off the safety.” Constantine’s Cav shows the few survivors how to deal with Russian cavalry and Russian infantry.

Back on the Russian Mainland (or rather, just offshore), a Russian ironclad sinks a Mayan DD off Khabarovsk. Oceanographers in the newly arrived Byzantine Bathyscaphe (BB) make short work of the ironclad. The 6th Zoological Army (T.A.N.K.S.) lands in Heliopolis. The Chief Zoologist wonders whether to cut the rail line to Memphis, which looks like the next target. Yes, for the moment; he’s tired of those Russian students trying to commute.

On the tech front, massive MM can’t get the research time down from 4t to 3t (this tech has been in the works for a while), but we can reduce research to 60% generating +185gpt (needed for upgrades). Note that some cities are now in a food shortage.

1620 – Russia and France signs a peace treaty (now I bet Katerina sleeps better at night with the French on her side!) Then the Maya sign a peace treaty. Katerina’s envoy Theodora to sue for peace, but balks at giving up even a single city. The envoy is forcibly ejected from the Palace, unfortunately from an upper floor. “Can you say ‘defenestration’? I knew you could.” The Maya declare war on the Russians! (I guess they have a long history of throwing envoys into pits, and appreciate the practice in others.) Trebizond builds the first Commercial Dock. The Dutch probe Khabarovsk and are repulsed, their infantry to the south is KIA, and two Russian Vet Infantry come up a road I couldn’t cut to threaten Alexandria. NOW my naval bombardment cuts the road behind them, and our flying machines abuse the infantry. The Chief Zoologist starts considering the long-delayed field trip to Isin, the island where Gilgamesh is on sabbatical.

1625 – Alexandria fights off the Russians, then sends a single cavalry to probe Byblos on the east coast. Russian workers abandon the attempt to reconnect Rubber and Smolensk. Constantine’s Cavalry (3rd Z.A.) returns to the capital; that transport will go on to Isin. A valiant old Dromon sinks a Russian ironclad off Memphis (a Dromon approximately 2,000 years old—and the Brits think H.M.S. Victory is impressive!) All that work Bouncing Russian Rubber, and a second source has appeared down in the Siberian Forest (maybe it was there all along). Flying machines from the second Byzantine Oceanographic Research Vessel devote themselves to that plantation; but Byzantine botanists can’t wait to study rubber trees hardy enough to grow in Siberian forest!!

1630 – On the Dogpile Front, Anglo/Dutch ground forces battle Russians between Alexandria and Byblos, while Anglo/Mayan warships shell Smolensk. The English have taken Khabarovsk, so only the Maya have yet to get a piece of the Bear. The Dutch cancel the big Rubber/Spices/Alliance/gpt deal. William will renew the alliance straight up. For EITHER rubber or spices they want Saltpeter AND Motor Transport. Theodora thinks not.

Byzantine students swarm into Memphis, but the resulting riot burns the city to the ground. Theodora wonders if the student leaders can be encouraged to do the same at Novgorod. She orders settlers to be built and shipped to Russia. The Chief Zoologist starts studying the course catalog for Moscow U.

1635 – Absent-minded Professor Whaddadummy left artillery and workers unguarded outside Thebes, and suicidal Russian cavalry captured them. The Dean knows that he’ll get them back, but the Professor still hasn’t paid for all the glassware broken in the lab when a Big Gray Beast got loose. (Talk about a bull in a china shop!)

The T.A.N.K.S. army takes Novgorod almost single-trackedly, but the big ATVs wreck the city. Theodora smiles… J (with compliments to Alexman). The flying machines have interdicted Russian Iron, Coal, Rubber, Horses, 2/3 of their Saltpeter, and ¾ of their Dyes. Theodora likes flying machines.

Scientists tell Theodora that Byzantium needs glowing green rocks, but there are none to be readily had. There is a deposit in the Dutch heartland (perhaps the reason for the elevated Dutch cancer rate), another next to the English city of Norwich on the Anglo/French/Dutch island north of the Dutch mainland. There is a tempting deposit on English soil on the Mayan mainland, only two tiles from Copan! (Theodora wonders who gerrymandered THAT district.) OH! There’s one WAY down in the Siberian forest (along with what seems like every resource the Russians will ever need!) Perhaps Katerina can be “persuaded…”

1640 – Incense and Electronics to England for Furs and 5gpt. Smolensk is being pounded to scrap; apparently it’s no longer a city, it’s just a naval gunnery range. A huge British squadron is using it for practice, along with half a dozen Mayan ironclads and destroyers, and we lob in a shell from time to time (peer pressure!) Back at home, war weariness is setting in. Most celebrations have been cancelled, and four cities fell into unrest (Theodora’s smile turns upside down). L I guess we need to end this war quickly. First thought: take Moscow and demand Rostov. Problem: Rostov will likely be the new capital..so take it first, then Moscow, and demand Yekaterinberg to get uranium. Minor problem: should I create another Army or does that leave me with too few independent units?
Old March 5, 2004, 17:36   #69
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

AU501 – DAR6 (Part III) Stock, Merely Monarch

1645 – Smoke-Jag renews 8gpt for Incense; William offers 17gpt for Gems. Sumeria resigns military alliance with the Dutch vs Russia. (Whoop-te-doo.) Harran completes Solar Plant (now 56spt-6 waste=50spt, a very convenient number). Build Barracks while waiting for a new source of Rubber (road construction underway on the island). Rostov captured!

1650 – William renews MPP. We have Rubber! Headline: “Harran Tanks in Two” (the Editor’s Smile).

Moscow captured! Factory, Coal Plant, Hospital, Stock Exchange, and the Hanging Gardens! Theodora does not understand why there is no gallows in the gardens, thinking about those ungrateful “war weary wretches” (as she calls them). Theodora is getting a bit ruthless in her old age. Theodora summons a Russian envoy to discuss Peace, demanding either Vladivostok/St.Pete/Giza or Yekat/Smolensk. The envoy stoically replies that Katerina will only part with Giza. That and $1.50 will get her on the subway…which apparently is where this envoy impacted.

Flying machines now drop leaflets on Vladivostok, but those who survive the leaflets fend off the freshmen of the 7th Zoological Army (T.A.N.K.S.), who could only make one attack. Belisarius’ Guard Cavalry (4th Z.A.) follows, and one lone Russian infantryman reduces Belisarius’ Guard to 2hp before expiring. Artillery and the 6th Z.A. (T.A.N.K.S.) move up to renew the effort next turn. The Chief Zoologist is concerned that the field teams may be getting too scattered across the vast Russian field area. He expects some trouble.

1655 – No fewer than 8 English Men o’War continue gunnery practice at Smolensk. Lots of workers flee INTO Smolensk (lots of very dumb workers who must like fireworks); others abandon the attempt to restore road access to the mines outside Vladivostok (isn’t it a pity that those are stuck in the open?) As expected, several Russian units are wandering around in the lines of communication of the leading Z.A.s (curiously, they attack nothing and they pillage nothing; are they sight-seeing?) Smoke-Jag renews the ROP.

The Byzantines found New Constantinople on the ruins of Novgorod; this new city will control two sources of Dyes once the borders expand. Theodora wants at least two more new cities to close the gaps between Moscow/Rostov and the earlier conquests. The plan is for one Settler to arrive every five years.

After an artillery bombardment, Byzantine students swarm into Vladivostok and leave most of the buildings intact: Barracks Hall, Market Hall, Courthouse Hall, Aqueduct Hall, even Bank Hall and Stock Exchange Hall). The Geology Department looks forward to building the first Byzantine Iron Works. The T.A.N.K.S. rush on and take the new capital of Yaroslavl, complete with its factory and coal plant. Riding Master Justinian leads a charge against Vet Cossacks outside Rostov, and for his valor receives the M.G.L. at the head of Justinian’s Guard Cavalry. Justinian will get a well-deserved vacation, then will probably rush the Iron Works. Captured 7 workers in and around Yaroslavl.

1660 – War weariness is starting to bite. Ur falls into unrest, with Umma right behind. Theodora’s advisors claim that her students can afford one more turn of war providing there are no major setbacks. Theodora wants St. Petersburg for a cool summer retreat, but the Z.A.s can’t reach it quickly through the forest. The easiest cities to reach are Pi-Ramesses (the new Russian capital) and Orenberg (on the east coast). Taking P-R will force the capital to Yekaterinberg, then perhaps Katerina will yield the southern cities and their resources.

The entrance exams at Pi-Ramesses are the toughest yet, but heavy leafleting and three Z.A.s gain admission. Unfortunately, in their enthusiasm they left not one stone upon another…though they left them upon many Russians. Orenberg opened its doors to the Russians, denying admission to the Dutch right outside. [Yakutsk in the far southeast is already a Dutch center of learning.] We have cut Rus in half; will Katerina negotiate? The trembling envoy stands before Theodora, who demands St.Pete, Krasnoyarsk, and Giza. The envoy bravely replies “Two out of three ain’t bad,” and lives to tell the Tsarina that Krasnoyarsk is still Russian.

So we made peace with the Russians, and will take Gilgamesh’s Retreat next turn. We gained uranium, along with new sources of iron, coal, rubber, and saltpeter. OOPS. It seems that William is now Furious, after centuries of politeness. I guess he really hoped for admission to Orenberg! Then there might be the small matter of our alliance vs Russia…or perhaps of HIS alliance with Gilgamesh. In minor diplomacy, France gives 5gpt for Horses, and England gives 18gpt for Gems. On the tech front, Rocketry in 4t.

1665 – The Dutch demand “Ecology for Friendship,” and we agree…for now. Rushed library in Moscow, hoping that the surviving natives like to read. New Adrianople founded on the ruins of Pi-Ramesses. Many cities celebrate the end of the Great Russian War. Theodora once again.

Status: 42% area, 50% pop (to Maya 14/20%), Adrianople is envious of Amsterdam’s culture (4595 vs 6009); total culture 46679 vs Mayan 30145. Looks like all victory options are still open, though tech progress has been slowed by the war. We’re two techs ahead of the Dutch.

[If anyone wants me to attach any screen shots, I have *lots* of saved positions.]

To Be Continued (the play, then the account) . . .
Old March 5, 2004, 18:13   #70
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 11:11
Quote:
The first successful flying machine is sent to Tyrana on the east coast of Byzantine Hatti; we can’t wait to show it to our Russian colleagues. Their eyes should pop…among other things.

Oh, man, you're killin' me!

Quote:
Some of the fans appear to be from the Society for Creative Anachronism

Oh, oh, ow, stop it, oh, my side.

Oh, man. That is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while.
Step 1. Set up AU game.
Step 2. Have Hermann play
Step 3. ????
Step 4. Hilarity ensues.
Old March 5, 2004, 18:35   #71
vmxa1
Deity

Yes very entertaining.
Old March 7, 2004, 23:21   #72
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
1605 – The Elderly (but Elite) Knights of Ni are too much for crippled Russian Cavalry lacking Shrubbery.
Oh no, please, not the dreaded Knights of Ni again!!!!

("we shall say 'Ni' to you again......")
Old March 8, 2004, 14:37   #73
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller

Oh no, please, not the dreaded Knights of Ni again!!!!

("we shall say 'Ni' to you again......")
I regret to say that the Knights of Ni are no more. In the next part of my DAR you will hear how the perfidious Dutch declared war; the Knights died bravely charging 1hp infantry. (I think the Dutch may have tripped over a submarine--[has that been fixed yet?]--I know that the opening shots were three frigates attacking my sub, promoting it to elite and then sinking it. Drat.)

A question in context: I had an MPP with the Dutch. The Russians attacked me; the Dutch declared on them; Theodora's forces beat the crap out of the Russians. Once I took almost everything I wanted, I offered peace for a few more cities. Then I noticed the Dutch were furious with me. Is the likely cause making peace or because I was getting so strong? Does this change if we had an alliance vs the Russians (which we did)?

The question is quite relevant because I couldn't get the Dutch above "Annoyed" so I made an MPP with the Mayans. The Dutch attacked, the Mayans declared, I beat up the Dutch...is it imprudent to make peace? I suppose if I keep my units out of Dutch territory the WW won't build up too fast (in Democracy), but I hate to wait for them to come to me!
Old March 8, 2004, 16:05   #74
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:11
The sub collision war-causing bug is still there -- escort your subs with surface ships (how craaazy is that?).

The likely cause of the Dutch attitude change was making peace with a common enemy. See Bamspeedy's AI Attitude article at CFC,
which is assumed to still be valid with Conquests.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 9, 2004, 06:07   #75
Aqualung71
Emperor

Yes, making peace with Russia broke your MPP with the Dutch (remember, they were at war with Russia too and YOU had pledged to protect them, you disloyal queen!!!!). So the only way to keep William's attitude favourable would have been to continue the Russian war until the 20-turn MPP expired, then make peace without renewing the MPP....but that might not have been possible due to WW concerns. Beware of MPP's!
Old March 9, 2004, 10:36   #76
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Yes, making peace with Russia broke your MPP with the Dutch (remember, they were at war with Russia too and YOU had pledged to protect them, you disloyal queen!!!!). So the only way to keep William's attitude favourable would have been to continue the Russian war until the 20-turn MPP expired, then make peace without renewing the MPP....but that might not have been possible due to WW concerns. Beware of MPP's!
Disloyal? Off with his head! (I told you Theodora is getting a bit blood-thirsty in her old age.) Perhaps I would have been OK on WW if I kept my forces out of Russian territory after maiming Katerina. There wasn't much left to keep out of. OTOH, perhaps I could have simply pressed on to finish off the Russians, since when they attacked the Dutch I was right back in the war anyway!

Clearly MPPs are the bane of limited war.

I've never read a good discussion on WW; could someone point me in the right direction?

AHA! My thanks to the King of Corruption!

Last edited by Hermann the Lombard; March 9, 2004 at 15:55.
Old March 9, 2004, 10:38   #77
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:

I've never read a good discussion on WW; could someone point me in the right direction?
How does War Weariness work? by Oystein.
Old March 9, 2004, 22:19   #78
Aqualung71
Emperor

Quote:
Perhaps I would have been OK on WW if I kept my forces out of Russian territory after maiming Katerina. There wasn't much left to keep out of. OTOH, perhaps I could have simply pressed on to finish off the Russians, since when they attacked the Dutch I was right back in the war anyway!

Clearly MPPs are the bane of limited war.
Yes, I believe either of those choices would have helped.....but the latter would have stopped WW in its tracks.

I avoid MPP's like the plague, preferring MA's and even then only when necessary. But I'm sure others favour them for certain strategic purposes.
Old March 10, 2004, 15:42   #79
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Ugh. I'm bogging down, an estimated 50 turns from finishing the game. I'm starting to get another WW lesson in my Dutch war, now showing unhappiness 75% from overcrowding and 25% from peaceniks. Thanks to Oystein's article I understand better what's happening...and that I think I have to take a 20-turn break before trying to go for the kill and a domination win. (I'm at about 66% pop right now, but only about 56% area.) I hate to give the Dutch 20 turns to recover, but I'm sure I can get more out of those 20 turns than they do.

The 50-turn number represent the estimated time to research all the techs needed for a spaceship, as my reseach time is regrettably long: 9-11 turns if I want to stay in the black. 50 turns is also the approximate time to hit 100,000 culture points at my current rate. In theory "culture" would be the easiest way to go, but I'm a bit concerned that in the meantime the Dutch or the Mayans would develop nuclear weapons, and those could play hob with culture buildings. "There goes the neighborhood."

Modern turns take a long time even by MY standards; there's just so much to do, especially while at war.
Old March 10, 2004, 22:39   #80
Aqualung71
Emperor

DP
Old March 10, 2004, 22:40   #81
Aqualung71
Emperor

Hermann, this negative attitude is very unlike you!!!!

Switch to Communism and get the extra 10% land from the Dutch and whoever is next. I presume you've got stacks of ground forces in there?

This will only cost you "x" turns of Anarchy, will solve your WW problems, and if you're going for domination who cares about research rate and the spaceship?

Did you build the UN?

Last edited by Aqualung71; March 10, 2004 at 22:48.
Old March 11, 2004, 00:48   #82
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Hermann, this negative attitude is very unlike you!!!!
William was right! Guess I need to adjust my medication.

Quote:
Switch to Communism and get the extra 10% land from the Dutch and whoever is next. I presume you've got stacks of ground forces in there?
Stacks on nearby islands and en route, nothing in "Holland Proper."

Quote:
This will only cost you "x" turns of Anarchy, will solve your WW problems, and if you're going for domination who cares about research rate and the spaceship?
Ugh, late-game anarchy! I got lucky on my switch from Republic to Democracy (only 5 turns, IIRC); I don't know if I want to try my luck again!

Quote:
Did you build the UN?
Ah, I forgot to mention that! Yes, I did, and I was lucky enough to survive being silly enough to call a vote.

Actually, Elizabeth voted for me Smoke-Jag voted for himself and the William/Joan Axis of Evil abstained Anyway, I don't have to worry about the AI winning that way unless I'm dumb enough to try it again.
Old March 11, 2004, 01:07   #83
Aqualung71
Emperor

Quote:

Ugh, late-game anarchy! I got lucky on my switch from Republic to Democracy (only 5 turns, IIRC); I don't know if I want to try my luck again!
Well if you're in Democracy and the WW continues much longer, you'll be in anarchy anyway

Better 5 turns of anarchy and then crush the opposition than 20 turns of waiting for your WW to expire cos you still really wanna crush the opposition
Old March 12, 2004, 18:50   #84
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:

Well if you're in Democracy and the WW continues much longer, you'll be in anarchy anyway Better 5 turns of anarchy and then crush the opposition than 20 turns of waiting for your WW to expire cos you still really wanna crush the opposition
So I'm one step away from that slippery slope that leads straight to Communism. You filthy fellow traveler, you!
Old March 16, 2004, 15:25   #85
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Having gone down that slippery slope, Chairman Theodora submits the following brief report to the Supreme Senate of the Roman People's Republic:

We are slogging advancing steadily [in glacial play] through the homeland of the perfidious Dutch. Five cities have passed into our hands (one razed & replaced) in "Holland" including the capital and its five Wonders of the World. The rest of Holland is at our mercy. [Theodora is fresh out of mercy.] One city has been taken and one razed to deny their access to rubber in the northeast. Our flying machines have cut their access to aluminum and oil, and have cut the French from iron. We are annoyed to see that all this has brought us from control of 56% of the world area to a mere 57%! We hope this will improve when our temples bring the light of communism to the Dutch populace. We have begun using conscript mech infantry to garrison the captured Dutch cities.
Old March 16, 2004, 17:20   #86
vmxa1
Deity

Hob nailed boots, sounds brutal for such a lady as Theodora.
Old March 16, 2004, 18:04   #87
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Local Time: 18:11
Quote:
We have begun using conscript mech infantry to garrison the captured Dutch cities.
Just a quick question, but where were they conscripted? In the Dutch cities themselves, after growth/conversion?

EDIT: good game, you seem ready to make the jump to emperor, Hermann.
Old March 17, 2004, 13:06   #88
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Hob nailed boots, sounds brutal for such a lady as Theodora.
Chairman Theodora has grown grumpy in her old age.

Quote:
Originally posted by KrillJust a quick question, but where were they conscripted? In the Dutch cities themselves, after growth/conversion?
Mostly in ex-Sumerian and ex-Rus cities. I would be a bit concerned about loyalty in cities where the "mother country" still exists. Also, the flying machines hammered most of the Dutch cities down to small sizes before capture. What's the Dutch for "Incoming!"??
Old March 23, 2004, 02:50   #89
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

G A A A S S S S P P P P

HtL AU501 on Merely Monarch

The issue has been a foregone conclusion since before the teaser for AU502, but here's Tail End Hermann dragging it in over the threshold and landing like a sack of rice. I said some time ago that I could win in any of several ways, but I think I said that diplo was unlikely. Naturally, that's what I got.

Theodora's speechwriter and archivist is in coma, so I regret that this AAR is extremely brief. [Of course I have detailed notes, but does anyone care at this point?]

Some quick highlights: Dutch declared war on Byzantium in 1730, French joined the war on the Dutch side, Maya and English joined the Roman side. in

1816 - French destroyed, en passant.

1828 - Dutch destroyed in 1828, bringing the controlled area to 64%, pop to 71%, culture to 80,942, and score to 3591. SGL (yes, Virginia, there *is* a Santa Claus!) Geminus completes the Cure for Cancer in Alexandria.

1836 - Our esteemed ally Smoke-Jaguar makes an outrageous demand for the highest product of our greatest scientists: Robotics. Theodora is disinclined to accomodate such rudeness, but in a moment of weakness grants the request. [It was about 0300 hours, IIRC. ]

1838 - Produced first tac nuke, and discovered that I can't ship it on a transport. "Yo! Water taxi!"

1840 - Treacherous, ungrateful, rotten, STUPID Mayans declare war! Theodora wants to crush Smoke-Jaguar like a bug. However, her diplomatic advisors point out that the Mayans have an MPP with the English, and while OF COURSE we could smash both of them, there might be an easier way. Theodora signs an MPP with Elizabeth, and we hold our fire for a turn (except for sinking miscellaneous Mayan vessels on the high seas).

1842 - A great year in the history of Byzantium, the Roman Empire, and the World! Our satellites reveal the world! (Please ignore that the Mayan satellites did so about a decade earlier.) The Longevity Project is completed in Constantinople. The loyal and faithful Elizabeth comes through, declaring war on the Maya! Now if I grab a few remote Mayan cities, I'll probably achieve the domination victory! Eh? The Minister of State is yammering about something. What do YOU want? The United Nations? What about it? A vote? Surely you jest. Yes, Elizabeth has consistently voted for Us, and Smoke-Jaguar consistently voted for himself...OH. All right, call a vote. Our dear sister Elizabeth supports us!

Victory at last!

Final status: 65% area, 71% pop, culture 85700, score 4557. The Mayans had 15/20%, 49735, 1535. The only trailing indicator was city culture, where Chichen Itza outshone Constantinople (don't tell Theodora ) by 8717 to 7343, and C.I. was size 22 to our compact capital at size 12.

Now I can finally look at the Postgame Thread! Oh, and maybe get some sleep. Ah, it feels so good when we stop.
Old March 23, 2004, 02:52   #90
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

One screen shot for General Glacier here.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	htl-au501 final.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	67870