Old January 29, 2004, 20:05   #1
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 13:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Victory from the jaws of defeat
In games where you have emerged victorious, what is the most you've been otherwise behind?

Just finished my first game as the Dutch, spaceship victory (by the skin of my teeth). Huge random map. Not a single SGL, didn't gain even the merest hint of a tech lead until early Industrial Age, and it was gone by the time the Modern Age arrived. Sumeria dominated virtually the entire game; I took great pains to keep peaceful relations, as I would've been overran in a heartbeat if I had picked a fight. Here's the victory status screen:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	yikes.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	63139  
Old January 29, 2004, 20:07   #2
Guynemer
Emperor

And here is the power graph... never seen anything like it. Sumeria was building their final three parts of the SS when mine launched.

Monarch difficulty... I must suck.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	yoinks.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	63140  
Old January 29, 2004, 20:12   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 11:16
You were third, there's a lot civs that look as if they got squashed.
Old January 29, 2004, 20:17   #4
Guynemer
Emperor

It was unreal. Christ, even when the Ruskies were the first to go, they were 2x their nearest competitor.

Especially in the final part of the game, from the end of the Industrial Age on, it was one after another... Iroquois, India, Hittites, Ottomans, Aztecs... these were civs that, while small, were very nearly equal to us in tech. And by small, hell, the Ottomans & Aztecs were probably 80% my size. Sumerians went through them like butter.

Of the ones that didn't survive to the end, the only one the Sumerians didn't wipe out were the bass-ackward Yanks, who were squashed by the Zulu.

I think this was my first true "killer AI" experience. It was very impressive.
Old January 29, 2004, 20:44   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:16
good stuff

what was the level on this
Old January 29, 2004, 20:49   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I have felt the AI does better with the Sumerians than other civs in my Conquests games.
Old January 29, 2004, 20:56   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think NYE posted a game recently where he was down 11 techs and won. I foget what type, but I thinl it was domination.
Old January 29, 2004, 20:59   #8
vmxa1
Deity

That graph looks about as strange as it can be. Aztec are not even on the score board and have power of 3/4 of the map.

Summeria has nothing much and its score it way past all?

Was this a std epic game and rules? What map size?
Old January 29, 2004, 21:11   #9
Guynemer
Emperor

No, you're looking at the Sumerians; it doesn't line up right w/16 civs, so you have to go by color & order. Aztecs are the brighter green who disappear near the end.

This was on Monarch.

What are Sumerians' traits? Agri/Sci?
Old January 29, 2004, 21:12   #10
Guynemer
Emperor

It was a huge map; slight alteration of game rules: no cities in desert, tundra, or jungle (to encourage more colonies and eliminate the stereotypical crap city landgrab the AI does), and no mining in grassland (more an aesthetic choice than anything else).
Old January 29, 2004, 23:36   #11
vmxa1
Deity

I should have notice the colors did not match up.
Old January 30, 2004, 03:14   #12
pauli
Prince

Quote:
no cities in desert, tundra, or jungle (to encourage more colonies and eliminate the stereotypical crap city landgrab the AI does)
hmm. i may have to try this.
Old January 30, 2004, 10:58   #13
steven8r
Prince

Guynemer, are you playing 'unpatched'? It looks like the Sumerians are benefitting from the gpt bug.

I had a game as the Spanish that was similar to the one you describe. I wasn't able to expand too large at first, and I was always behind in tech AND I didn't have Horses, Coal, or Rubber for the longest time. The Koreans and the Hittites were BOTH KAI's in my game, though the Hittites were just a bit larger than the Koreans.

I managed to launch my spaceship before the Hittites had built their final part. Whew! :releif: Just barely eeked-out a win on that game.

Congratulations on your hard-fought victory. It just goes to show that even when behind, the human has an edge that the AI will never have (at least not till about CivXV).

Steven
Old January 30, 2004, 11:23   #14
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I think NYE posted a game recently where he was down 11 techs and won. I foget what type, but I thinl it was domination.
That would be me, but its an honor to be confused with NYE I'll post some screenies to this thread, probably.
Old January 30, 2004, 11:56   #15
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Emperor
Standard, 8 civs
Archipelago
all standard rules, except no diplomacy victory and....

no culture flipping. Which definately skewed the game in my favor, as I was whipped by all comers in culture. I'm not sure if this "cooks" the game, but I just don't like playing with cf on. an embarrassing admission.

A few notes before the pics. I ended the game about 11 techs behind. I say about, because in all likelihood, the Dutch would build ToE within a few turns. Luckily for me, they researched bad techs like ironclads and every optional tech save music theory (!) so they were only a few real techs ahead, but they had gained replaceable parts. They also built 9 medieval wonders (ie. all but Bachs, too bad I didn't have time to research and build it) and Universal sufferage, on top of having several ancient wonders, lighthouse and a few others.

The lighthouse is what made the dutch the KAI. They were allowed to leave their solitary island and raid the other islands of the world. Had it not been for that, and their seafaring ability, they would have been just another backward civ.

While the game doesn't appear close land/population wise, the game was a struggle from the beginning. Compare my start to the following end game dutch shot. Note: the vast majority of the land sorrounding and north of london was swamp and jungle.

Old January 30, 2004, 12:01   #16
asleepathewheel
Emperor

dutch homeland at the finish

[IMG]http://apolyton.net/upload/files/asleepathewheel/dutchstart.jpg
[/IMG]

My end home territory

F8 screen, pay attention to the culture gap
Old January 30, 2004, 12:16   #17
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Now I know what you're saying, what's so special about a domination victory?

Well, this game was rough from the start. I had craptacular land, save the ivory. I was surrounded by jungle and swamp, and built 2 cities at a double choke to wall off the scandi's. I got a SGL for writing I think, and got phil first. Chose math rushed Zeus. I had no iron, and the nearest horse was across the shallows to the east, ie. needed mapmaking and two harbors. I eventually built up enough anc. cavs to take down most of the scandi's, forcing them to move off continent and captured iron, then moving north to take out the mayans, who also had relocated partially. (also one an. cav. army helped)

I then moved east and took out tenochticlan, (lucky for me, was a coastal city) home of the great library. Pulled me up to the medieval age (was way way behind at that point) Then through a series of wars I eliminated or crippled the other civs around.

One thing I did in this game, that I hope I never have to do again, was delay metallurgy as the last medieval tech, due to the pathetic production of my cities. that extra unit every 5 turns was invaluable, as only 2 cities could produce knights at a decent rate. I needed bodies more than anything else. Corruption was rough.

The dutch were the problem. They would continuously drop off powerful units. Cavs and crusaders when I had ancient cavs and knights. Luckily I never quite spread myself thin enough to lose much (I think I lost a viking city on my home continent and a persian city once). I did see a ton of privateers, so was very very careful about my galleys (didn't have anything else at the time).

The man o war was awesome. I ended with 56 of them, they saved the game. I blocked off most of the sealanes, allowing me to move units to threatened areas and for attacks. At the end, I was bombarding Dutch cities with 20 at a time, trying to crack the barracks so they wouldnt heal completely each turn. (didn't want my cavs to be demolished after landing)

A good victory for me, not the best I know. And the skill required diminished due to the archipelago map, as the ai can't do as well as the human, the most units I saw dropped off at one tile at one time was 8.

but nonetheless, fun game.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:02   #18
vmxa1
Deity

Sorry asleepathewheel, you know I am older now and everything is going fast.

I guess I should be happy I remembered any of it.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:14   #19
Guynemer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
Guynemer, are you playing 'unpatched'? It looks like the Sumerians are benefitting from the gpt bug.
Nope. v1.15 beta.

Actually haven't heard of the gpt bug... what's that?
Old January 30, 2004, 13:16   #20
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The original release of the game had it:

When you did a trade for gold per turn, the actual gold you received was doubled.

It didn't cost the payor more, but the payee got 2x the gold they were entitled to.

So imagine an AI civ with a tech lead, selling techs to other AIs for gpt.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:19   #21
Guynemer
Emperor

Cripes. It's a wonder I didn't see an AI like this before, when it could have taken advantage of that.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:21   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

FIFTY-SIX Men-o-War?!?! That's a lot of production.

edit: in response to Sleepy.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:29   #23
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
FIFTY-SIX Men-o-War?!?! That's a lot of production.

edit: in response to Sleepy.

-Arrian
Its the only area that I had an advantage in, everything else they had a counter for, so I had to go with my strenght and try to cut them off before they landed, which after I bulked up, was effected. I split them into 5 or 6 mow teams that did the trick. I had maybe 10 defensive units and 43 cavs. Actually, I miscounted, I only had 53 (men or war) But I did have, after counting, 16 captured Men-O-war!

Oh, one thing I did in that game but forgot to mention, was to use the Egyptians. They were one of the typical backward AI civs, no contact until Navigation. I was going to take them out, but there cities had about 20 units each. Granted, they were just archers, spears and wcs, but I didn't have the manpower to take them on. So I got them to declare war on the dutch, who steamrolled them, but I imagine took quite heavy losses.
Old January 30, 2004, 14:31   #24
Guynemer
Emperor

Clever strategy.