Old January 30, 2004, 08:32   #1
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Weird stuff you did in Conquests
I'm wondering what things you do to milk the fun from a scenario by taking it to it's limit?

I've tried two things so far:

1) In the Age of Exploration scenario, I was bringing home units carrying treasures and kept them outside my capital until the last turn when I finally sent them home. That way, I got over 100 000 points instead of the 35 000 that triggers victory.

2) In the Middle Ages scenario, I conquered England playing the Swedes, and found a relic that I picked up. I then sailed all the way to Jerusalem, conquered it and won (I've never been able to win as a tribe that is SUPPOSED to win by capturing Jerusalem).
Old January 30, 2004, 10:05   #2
Exquisitor
Settler

Local Time: 17:18
In the Middle Ages as the Swedes, I conquered all of the _coastal_ cities in N. Europe. Very little penetration inland except for England and Finnland. The amphibious attacks of a Berserk army were most enjoyable.
Exquisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 15:12   #3
Urglab
Settler

yeah berserks own!

I myself pillaged every coastal town I met and destroyed almost all of great britain

also brought the holy grail to jerusalem and had a big war with the swedes which made me enough points to win...
Urglab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 17:14   #4
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 19:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Exquisitor
In the Middle Ages as the Swedes, I conquered all of the _coastal_ cities in N. Europe. Very little penetration inland except for England and Finnland. The amphibious attacks of a Berserk army were most enjoyable.
I wouldn't consider that as particularly weird, as that is close to what actually happened in real history. Well, not Swedish Vikings doing all of that perhaps, but the Viking nations combined. Did you win?

I'm asking more for things like players invading Japan playing China in WW2 or settling all Africa playing the Inca in Age of Exploration.
Old February 2, 2004, 09:14   #5
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 20:18
Well, technically I didn't do this, but it's still weird: I lost the WW2 scenario playing as America, the turn after I conquered Tokyo and Kyoto. Apparently, the Japanese had been eating the Chinese faster than I was eating the Japanese. The turn after I entered Kyoto I got the message that the Japanese destroyed the Chinese and then they scored enough victory points to win.
Old February 2, 2004, 17:18   #6
Exquisitor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

I wouldn't consider that as particularly weird, as that is close to what actually happened in real history. Well, not Swedish Vikings doing all of that perhaps, but the Viking nations combined. Did you win?
Yep, I won. I had a lot of fun trying to figure things out. I rush built a palace near London, then didn't have harbors to export resources to my true home base of Sweden. By the time I got harbors, I'd lost out on the Krak de Chev wonder. The increased production in London didn't help in my victory over the Poles but did facilitate against Germans and Franks.
Exquisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2004, 14:24   #7
Proserpine
Warlord

Currently playing the Fall of Rome Scenario as the Ostrogoths - does that count?

I don't know why, but I always wanted to be an Ostrogoth.
Proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2004, 14:30   #8
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
cant rember the name of the scenario... but i am the egyptians and just finsihed settling half of europe..... bypassed the mid east and left me neoghbours to do the fighting...

havent finsihed it yet so not sure if i going to win, but well on way on victory screen
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2004, 08:28   #9
Proserpine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
cant rember the name of the scenario... but i am the egyptians and just finsihed settling half of europe..... bypassed the mid east and left me neoghbours to do the fighting...

havent finsihed it yet so not sure if i going to win, but well on way on victory screen
Rasputin, did you win?
Proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2004, 18:08   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Proserpine
I don't know why, but I always wanted to be an Ostrogoth.
I find that seriously funny.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2004, 20:47   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:18
I want to play the Dutch in the WW2 scenario. haven't done it yet, not sure if you can.

one thing I still want to do is play the weakest faction-err I mean nation in each of the scenarios and try to beat the scenario with them. I may have to drop a difficulty level to do this though.
Old July 27, 2004, 13:57   #12
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Talking about weakest nations, I once captured Brest as the Incas in Age of Discovery. It was some way before the end too. But I was playing on Monarch.
Nor Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2004, 14:27   #13
barbeerhj
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

How are the Incans weak?

Unlike other Mesoamericans, you don't have to worry as much about Europeans trying to start a war and succesfully fight it with you.

Since corrupt is almost gone on close cities, you can easily colonize most of south america and have a corruption clean empire.

I played the Incans and dominated on Monarch level too. The Europeans arn't that great once you have caught up to their epoch, because most of them have about 4 core cities that are jumbled together with about 2 or 1 tiles seperating them.

Catching up to them is pretty easy, considering how willingly they are going to trade you a tech just to fill their gold store.

I once had control of Portugal, Spain, Mayans, and the Aztec capitol (stopping because their other cities were too lame to waste units trying to get).

-Ron
Old July 27, 2004, 15:37   #14
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Yes, you can but it takes me more time than it normally does with the Maya and Aztecs. I think I might have had almost all of Central and South America in that game.

It's basically because The Inca start off with the worst terrain and further away from any targets. I know the Maya have much less room to expand, have fairly bad terrain, don't get as much gold from map-trading and are very vulnerable to amphibious assaults. It's just that they start slightly faster and have the opportunity to take out the Aztecs. If they can do that, they'll be a long way ahead of any Incan option I've tried.
Nor Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2004, 19:47   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by barbeerhj
How are the Incans weak?

Unlike other Mesoamericans, you don't have to worry as much about Europeans trying to start a war and succesfully fight it with you.

Since corrupt is almost gone on close cities, you can easily colonize most of south america and have a corruption clean empire.

I played the Incans and dominated on Monarch level too. The Europeans arn't that great once you have caught up to their epoch, because most of them have about 4 core cities that are jumbled together with about 2 or 1 tiles seperating them.

Catching up to them is pretty easy, considering how willingly they are going to trade you a tech just to fill their gold store.

I once had control of Portugal, Spain, Mayans, and the Aztec capitol (stopping because their other cities were too lame to waste units trying to get).
-Ron

I was unable to trade for any of their good techs . they wanted more than I had to give them.

Last edited by Dis; July 28, 2004 at 19:28.
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2004, 21:49   #16
barbeerhj
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Thanks for repeating me Dissident

Old July 28, 2004, 19:26   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm sure I meant to say something there. But I can't remember what I meant to post. So I guess I have nothing to add to that post
Old July 28, 2004, 19:28   #18
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

now I see it. The part I added is in the quoted section.

it's the last line.

I stated:

I was unable to trade for any of their good techs. . They wanted more than I have to give them.