Old February 25, 2004, 10:36   #271
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Spoiler:
Sorry, but you'll have to experiment on Bloodscalp. You will turn ALL the thiefs hostile if you screw up, except Aran. Blackblood - does poison damage - kills trollies

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 25, 2004, 10:46   #272
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Spoiler:
Sorry, but you'll have to experiment on Bloodscalp. You will turn ALL the thiefs hostile if you screw up, except Aran. Blackblood - does poison damage - kills trollies

-Jam
Spoiler:
So is Blackblood the name of the club? I'm a bit confused here.
Old February 25, 2004, 11:06   #273
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Yes.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 25, 2004, 11:13   #274
duke o' york
Emperor

Thanks!

Sorry about all these spoiler boxes Stuie, but we don't want to spoil the game for you! (or me for that matter, but I'll play through the first one a couple of times before thinking about buying the second)
Old February 25, 2004, 11:49   #275
Stuie
King

Local Time: 13:19
Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york

Sorry about all these spoiler boxes Stuie, but we don't want to spoil the game for you!
I'm resisting the temptation to highlight... but I better ignore this thread until tomorrow. I should make some good progress tonight (after wife/kids are asleep) because I'm off tomorrow.
Old February 26, 2004, 03:46   #276
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:19
Which one is Renal? I assume he's the one you don't have to kill. I never new that little tidbit about him. Hmm.
Old February 26, 2004, 05:19   #277
duke o' york
Emperor

Don't give anything away to Stuie!

I'm afraid that I didn't manage to get any turns in last night, but hope to have a fairly good go at it on Friday night (depending upon the status of the Civ 2 SXN games, which have to take priority ).
Old February 26, 2004, 05:44   #278
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Diss: Please spoiler that, in case Stuie hasn't read it. It's not hugely spoilering but for someone who hasn't met
Spoiler:
Renal
it's best to be safe.

In answer to your question
Spoiler:
He's the one who gives you the Mae'Var quest, the thief stronghold. The one you know about, not the one you pay to see, or who Bodhi asks you to kill (Aran Lindvail).

Old February 26, 2004, 14:56   #279
Stuie
King

Glad to see you guys are looking out for me!

Well, I met with Renal and got a quest from him, dumped the poisoned guy and got a quest from the Harpers which I completed in short order.... but, looking for the Harper quest destination, I stumbled across an old "friend" of Jehira's. That caused a slight side quest that (I felt - role playing-wise) needed immediate action.

Then I ran into Xzar, and tried to find his friend Montaron at the Harper's place. Unfortunately my party can't deal with the 2nd floor, so I'm not sure where to go with that one. Maybe I'll have to come back later.

So I found Jehira's "friend" and dealt with that situation.

Now it's time for a rest at the Copper Coronet and then I can tackle the other city quest still needing attention (Renal's).

Any hints for finding Montaron?
Old February 26, 2004, 15:16   #280
Drogue
staff

Stuie: Finding Montaron is not about having decent weapons, or winning fights. It's a puzzle. Make sure you've checked everywhere. Talk to the people on the ground floor, there are many, many hints as to how to be safe on the 2nd floor.

Old February 26, 2004, 17:50   #281
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Or if you're really stuck
Spoiler:
Search the ground floor for a "harper amulet" then grab Montarion (disgiused as a bird in the cage) and leg it sharpish

Now TRY and resist highlighting that till you have at least looked everywhere and spoken to everyone in the Harper's place.

-Jam
Old February 27, 2004, 05:16   #282
duke o' york
Emperor

If I exported my BG1 characters into BG2, could I still do that quest, because I had Montaron killed off (on purpose, thank you ) pretty soon after picking up Jaheira and Khalid.
Or is there a time warp factor in BG2?
I'd like for Montaron to appear in BG2, but then tell my character that the party left him for dead or something like that, but I doubt it's going to happen.
Old February 27, 2004, 05:23   #283
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:19
time warp

well kinda.

Really anything you do in BG1 has no relevance to BG2. Aside from your character stats.

but don't forget the pantaloons .

okay they aren't that important. I have never collected all of them.
Old February 27, 2004, 05:46   #284
Drogue
staff

DoY: Yes. The only thing you export to BGII is your main character, the PC.

Old February 27, 2004, 08:18   #285
Jamski
Deity

Remember if people got killed in BG1, that maybe someone dragged them to a temple and had them raised...

-Jam
Old February 27, 2004, 08:27   #286
duke o' york
Emperor

God knows why they bothered with Montaron though. I'd have just left him to rot (and did, in fact).
Old February 27, 2004, 08:31   #287
Jamski
Deity

Montarion has EXCELLENT stats actually, and he's one of my favorite multi-classes - Fighter/Thief.

He can use a bow with a decent ThacO, or back-stab and actually hit, while always getting more thief skills.

Oh - you have to let Xzar die, but who cares?

-Jam
Old February 27, 2004, 08:47   #288
duke o' york
Emperor

Huh!

When do I have to let Xvar die?
I mean, he won't be with us for much longer, because as soon as I can get Imoen to 100% Find Traps, she's the new wizard, and I may well be tempted to pick up another one along the way, depending upon how well Imoen levels up, and how tough the monsties are at that point in the game.
Old February 27, 2004, 08:52   #289
Drogue
staff

You know tat Imoen will lose her thieving abilities until she gets to the level above her thief level, as a mage. So I'm guessing it will be level 4 to get 100% traps, so she'll have to go from a level 1 to a level 5 mage before she gets those abilities back.

Old February 27, 2004, 09:01   #290
Stuie
King

I get the hint regarding the Harpers, but I haven't been back there yet. I was working through Renal's quest but ran up against some gollems that my party can't seem to handle. How does one deal with a Stone Gollem??

Speaking of dead BG1 NPCs, I ran into Edwin, and one of my conversation choices was something like "I thought you were dead last time I saw you." Apparently someone must have dragged him to a temple and raised him.

Anyway, after fleeing the gollems, I started opening more doors in the Copper Coronet and stumbled into the slave quest. That's been fun (and doable so far). I've gotten through the sewers and into the slaver place, killed a bunch of people (and things) and I am about to face some wizards. But then I had to leave for work.
Old February 27, 2004, 09:02   #291
duke o' york
Emperor

I know tat!
That's why I'm thinking about when I should do it. Sooner rather than later, but I want her to have half-decent thief skills by the time she takes up her new career.
Old February 27, 2004, 09:17   #292
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
How does one deal with a Stone Gollem??
IIRC it needs hand to hand magical weapons. Clay Golems need +1 or better blunt weapons, but I think piercing, slashing and blunt weapons work for Stone Golems.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
Anyway, after fleeing the gollems, I started opening more doors in the Copper Coronet and stumbled into the slave quest. That's been fun (and doable so far). I've gotten through the sewers and into the slaver place, killed a bunch of people (and things) and I am about to face some wizards. But then I had to leave for work.
Slaver stockade For a good team, it's the firt quest to do. Decent XP, fun and goes well with their ideology. Did you do anything interesting in the sewers? It might help with the Stone Golems if you did.

Old February 27, 2004, 09:25   #293
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Did you do anything interesting in the sewers? It might help with the Stone Golems if you did.
Not yet - I managed to get right to the slaver compound with little fuss. I did run into some kobolds that just talked to me - they didn't attack. Should I kill them anyway? I figured leave them be if they don't want a fight. Maybe I'm being too Lawful Good. Anyway, I'll probably poke around the sewers more after dealing with the slavers.

By the way, I am running a "Good" party. My character is a Paladin/Cavalier, and so I'm trying to stay in character. Next time through I'll probably play a Chaotic/Neutral Thief/Mage and see where that takes me. But for now it's strictly goody-goody.
Old February 27, 2004, 09:39   #294
Drogue
staff

Ahhh... If you're a Cavalier, then you *definately* want to be poking around in the sewer.

I presume the cavalier is up 4 in two handed sword and 2 in two handed weapons style? If so he will be a fantastic character later

Old February 27, 2004, 09:48   #295
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

I presume the cavalier is up 4 in two handed sword and 2 in two handed weapons style? If so he will be a fantastic character later
Well, I always had this thing for morning stars.... and I made the mistake of trying to spread out my proficiencies (in BG1 - and I was using tutu so no chance to redo them at the beginning of BG2) instead of specializing. Hope this doesn't hurt me too bad down the road.

I was going to use Minsc as my two-handed-sword guy.
Old February 27, 2004, 09:54   #296
Drogue
staff

Actually, it hurts you less in BGII. In BGI, having 3, 4 or 5 points in a weapon gives you much better to hit and damage. In BGII it gives you a better spoeed factor, and marginally better to hit or damage. Having 2 is important though, you get an extra half attack and a better to hit an damage.

However IMHO not having a two handed sword with your Cavalier will hurt you. This spoiler won't affect you now, since you can't use it, but I thought I'd spoiler it just in case:
Spoiler:
The best weapon in the game is a two handed sword usable only by Paladins. The Holy Avenger: D12+5 damage, +5 to hit, dispel magic on target when it hits and a couple of immunities, IIRC

Old February 27, 2004, 09:57   #297
duke o' york
Emperor

Spoiler:
But doesn't that mean that whenever you hit a monstie you have cast a spell on, it dispels it. So it wouldn't be worthwhile casting a spell that had an effect over more than one turn on your enemies because the paladin will just dispel it whenever he gets a hit in.
Old February 27, 2004, 10:01   #298
Jamski
Deity

Spoiler:
But you use it on wizards with magical protections.... Drogue also forgot the +2d6 damage vs Evil creatures

Xzar has to die if you JUST want Montarion. Normally you have to have both, or neither. Just send Xzar to fight a bear unarmed

-Jam
Old February 27, 2004, 10:11   #299
duke o' york
Emperor

Thanks for that!

Spoiler:
Huh, Drogue must be pretty dumb to miss something as obvious as the +2D6 against evil.
This thread is becoming dominated by spoilers sections, don't you think? Weird. Even for a dummy like Drogue.
Old February 27, 2004, 10:18   #300
Drogue
staff

DoY: I don't have the manual here, I can't remember all the details. So many weapons in BGII have bonuses against characters of certain alignments. Many have special abilities, changes to the character, etc. It's no longer a case of choose the highest +x weapon (even though it is).