Old February 2, 2004, 05:32   #1
Irgy
Warlord

Local Time: 03:24
Local Date: November 3, 2010
New, want to PBEM
Hi guys, I'm new here

I've played a fair bit of SMAC/X single player but only a couple of multiplayer games, due to having nobody to play against.

I win pretty much consistantly on transcend in single player, so I like to think I've got at least some idea what I'm doing.

Basically just want to know how to go about organising a game, either a PBEM game or, if someone has some free time on a Sunday, even a real time game over the net?

Are there any things I ought to know before I start? I read the rules in that tournament PBEM thread at the top already

Irgy
Old February 2, 2004, 06:43   #2
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 20:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
U oughta know bout all kinds of cheatin,so one could not take U out without any strategy!

About that RTGame -> count me in (would like to play as BELIEVERS)

We can also do one in a weekday->I have a plenty of time!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 2, 2004, 07:33   #3
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
I can play pbem. But also i could CMN, but that would be my first time
Old February 3, 2004, 17:54   #4
Walek
Prince

Local Time: 18:24
I want PBEM sign me up.
Old February 4, 2004, 01:23   #5
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:24
I'm interested also. Warning although, I'm so inexperienced that your 'very green' scout would laugh himself to death at me. If you guys don't mind, well I'm up for it.
Old February 4, 2004, 12:11   #6
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

And forgot-> also want to PBEM!
Give me Believer fac on SMAC!

If SMAX ->count me out-> dont have one!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 4, 2004, 12:39   #7
Barinthus
King

I guess I should add that I prefer PBEM, I rarely have a whole day off to myself so.

And as for SMAC/X, it doesn't matter but I do prefer SMAX if possible. As for which faction, I don't care. You can randomly pick one for me if you wish.
Old February 4, 2004, 16:56   #8
binTravkin
Emperor

So we are 5!
I suggest not waitin for more players->as the number grows, the game slows!

So,there is our votes:

Irgy:
Game ->any
Fac ->any

binTravkin
Game -> SMAC: I dont have SMAX!
Fac ->Believers

mart7x5
Game-> any
Fac -> any
or: can be CMN!

Walek
Game->any
Fac->any

DataAeolus
Game->SMAX
Fac->random

So vote for game type and fac!
And Irgy has to choose which fac to give to DataAeolus
It will probably be after the others have chosen (3facs will be left)

DataAeolus seems a powerful player,if he allows others to choose his fac..

Lets get ths game started!

Also, what about CMN? Do we need one, or do we play random or some known map?
What do u all think?
Old February 4, 2004, 17:55   #9
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

I can CMN this game, just write if it's ok with you, or if someone else do it or no CMN, i can play....

Irgy, your opinion is needed, as you called us for this game
Old February 4, 2004, 19:10   #10
Walek
Prince

I vote on smac, because binTravkin don't have smac.
I take hmm. what fac i take hmmm maby hive no i lose were what i must do maby univ. Ok i take univ.
Old February 4, 2004, 19:37   #11
binTravkin
Emperor

So response from Irgy is very needed!

But for now:
Votes for game SMAC:SMAX = 2:1

Facs:
Irgy:??
binTravkin:Believers
Mart7x5:??
Walek:University
DataAeolus:random from left
..damn hard to spell your nick

Last edited by binTravkin; February 4, 2004 at 19:43.
Old February 4, 2004, 22:29   #12
Irgy
Warlord

Hi guys

Ahh good lots of people to play by the looks of it : )

I guess it had better be smac so we can all be involved

As for faction, I am capable of using University, Hive or Gaians, mabye peacekeepers if I absolutely have to just because they're fairly generic. I usually prefer University but as that's taken I guess I'll be whichever of Hive and Gaians nobody else wants to use, probably Hive if they're both free.

What's a CMN by the way? is it some sort of impartital game master or something?

As for rules, I'm not that fussed really, my preferences include
Choose your tech (the complexity of the tech tree is one of the best parts of the game imho)
Tech Stagnation (I find you often invent things faster than you can prototype them even with stagnation)
Unity Survey (like being able to plan a good base arrangement, it's not that important though)
Large average random map preferred, I don't know any custom maps other than planet, and I'm sick of planet - it only comes in standard and huge anyway

Anything else I ought to know?

Irgy
Old February 4, 2004, 22:54   #13
Barinthus
King

Quote:
Originally posted by binTravkin
DataAeolus seems a powerful player,if he allows others to choose his fac..
That's funny! Trust me once we start playing, you probably be begging Irgy to kick me off and give my faction to AI since it'd play better

I just figured I have to start somewhere so what's wrong with random? Overally I'm a very flexible guy.

Anyway it appears it'd be for the best if we were to use SMAC since it appears not everybody has SMAX. As for maps, I don't care.

Mmmm what else? Shoot I wanted to say something.... Oh yes, why don't we stay with PBEM official rules? But if you want to change them around that's fine. Just make sure I understand how they work. For instance, tech stagnation, what's that? I usually play with standard rules on SP games so.

Whee my first PBEM, I can't wait.

EDIT: Yeah I know, I didn't realize there was double As in my name, duh me. If there's a way to change my name I'd like to do it, know how?

EDIT2: On second thought, I'll take Gaians only if nobody else wants that one.

Last edited by Barinthus; February 4, 2004 at 23:02.
Old February 4, 2004, 23:21   #14
Mart
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irgy
...What's a CMN by the way? is it some sort of impartital game master or something?
Yes, you could make that comparison to RPG games. I am new to multiplayer SMAC, but i was gamemastering in Warhammer RPG (that's popular in Europe). I play already in a number of games so i thought i might CMN this one. If this is ok with all of you.
I guess 4 players and 3 AI is quite ok and turns do not take too much time then.
About tech stagnation - it slows down the game a bit which in PBEM might make it too slow, but if someone do not mind long waits for the techs - it is actually nice option. I play single player mostly with tech stagnation for the purpose of better usage of prototypes, as you Irgy wrote.
I propose also to make a table of selected options by us, it will be easier to see what is preferred.
Old February 4, 2004, 23:24   #15
Barinthus
King

Ok what does CMN stands for?
Old February 4, 2004, 23:30   #16
Irgy
Warlord

Which rules are the official PBEM rules? My rules suggestions were only preferences, and all based entirely on my single player experience, so if there's standard rules to be playing with in PBEM we might as well just use them I guess

By the way, how does the timing in these games usually work? during the week I can only do a move in the evenings, *mabye* the morning if I have to (evenings being after 7pm, at gmt+10 (it might be really +11 at the moment because we have daylight savings going)). Weekends I'm free at random times all over the place of course : )

mart7x5: If you're happy to CMN, then that would be good. : )

Irgy
Old February 5, 2004, 00:19   #17
Mart
Emperor

The rules are mainly to make gameplay easier and prevent exploits of game bugs. Mostly the rules prohibit using bugs. here is the link (you need to scroll a bit):
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=14379
As for the map and game option it can be arranged. Irgy, you might judge all by yourself, as you started the thread, or you can go for voting from all players, the choice is yours. It is about those custom rules, (when you choose custom rules when starting a game you are offered all those options)
-------------------------------------
CMN - Coordinator Moderator Narrator.

Last edited by Mart; February 5, 2004 at 00:27.
Old February 5, 2004, 02:05   #18
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 13:24
Since you already have five, I'll volunteer to CMN. I'm already doing another game that's working out fine. However, since I've always been a hybrid/builder type, I better at large or bigger maps. If you fellows are wanting a balanced small map, you might try Darsnan or mart7x5. However, Darsnan does give each faction 3 formers/3 pods/3 scouts, on a small map that can result in a very different faction balance. He's an awesome map designer.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old February 5, 2004, 02:25   #19
Mart
Emperor

If you can CMN Shawn, they I can play. I will take Spartans they - they are still free.
Old February 5, 2004, 04:02   #20
Mr. Harley
Prince

If you can take over and poll everybody and send me the game conditions, I'll get it built asap. Also how much can I tweak the AI factions, I prefer to make them pretty tough on the bigger maps because you make contact with them later, and they are so pathetic. I usually like to give them some extra techs, facilities, terraforming, and units, especially formers. I try not to make them too strong, or its players against AI, and that's not any fun either. hjcarr01 at athena.louisville.edu
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old February 5, 2004, 04:30   #21
binTravkin
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah I know, I didn't realize there was double As in my name, duh me. If there's a way to change my name I'd like to do it, know how?
Goto control panel of Apolyton (on top of this page) and choose to edit your profile..
Im not sure, though, if change of name is allowed, but it should be!

New votes:
Fac:
Gaians : Lord DataAeolus
Hive : Chairman Irgy
University : Provost Walek
CEO Morgan : Nwabudike Morgan
Spartans : Marshall Mart7x5
Believers : Pope binTravkin
Peacekeepers: Commissioner Pravin Lal

Game:SMAC (3 votes/majority)

Table of options to came
Old February 5, 2004, 04:37   #22
Mr. Harley
Prince

I tweak to fit the personality. Morgan will be tweaked defensively so he can grow some and not be a pushover, while the Peacekeepers will be more of a threat.
Old February 5, 2004, 04:57   #23
binTravkin
Emperor

Well - the results of poll at present:
but remember that Irgy has an executive veto!
DataAeolus.Irgy.Walek.Mart7x5.binTravkin
Difficulty: ? ? ? ? Transc.
Planetsize: ? Large ? ? Huge
Ocean cover: ? ? ? ? 30-50
Erosion: ? ? ? ? Weak
Nativeforms: ? ? ? ? Rare
Clouds: ? ? ? ? Dense

Victory
Transc.: ? ? ? ? Yes
Conquest: ? ? ? ? Yes
Diplomatic: ? ? ? ? Yes
Cooperative: ? ? ? ? Yes

Do or die: ? ? ? ? No
Tech stag: ? Yes ? ? Yes
Spoils of War: ? ? ? ? Yes
Blind research: ? No ? ? No
No Un. Survey: ? No ? ? No
No Rand.Evnts:? ? ? ? No
Time warp: ? ? ? ? No

Hope CMN will "randomize" those faction leaders "a bit"
Old February 5, 2004, 06:14   #24
Mart
Emperor

EDITED
Code:
SMAC game, version release 5.0
(5.0 is update for compatibility with WinXP)

Factions:

Gaia's Stepdaughters	DataAeolus
Human Hive		Irgy
University of Planet	Walek
Morgan Industries	AI
Spartan Federation	Mart7x5
The Lord's Believers	BinTravkin
Peacekeeping Forces	AI

When tie - Irgy's vote counts most

Map size	L	L	S	L-H	H	|	Large
Ocean		?	50-70	30-50	50-70	30-50	|	50-70
Erosion		?	Aver	Aver	Weak	Weak	|	Aver
Life		?	Aver	Aver	Abund.	Rare	|	Aver
Clouds		?	Aver	Aver	Dense	Dense	|	Aver
Difficulty	?	Transc.	Transc.	Transc.	Transc.	|	Transc.

Transcend	?	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	|	Yes
Diplomatic	?	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	|	Yes
Economic	?	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	|	Yes
Cooperative	?	?	Yes	Yes	Yes	|	Yes
Do or Die	?	?	Yes	No	No	|	No
Flexible start	?	Yes	?	Yes	Yes	|	Yes
Tech stag	?	Yes	Yes	Yes	Yes	|	Yes
Spoils of war	?	?	No	No	Yes	|	No
Blind research	?	No	Yes	No	No	|	No
Intense riv	?	?	?	No	No	|	No
No survey	?	No	Yes	No	No	|	No
No scatter	?	No	?	No	No	|	No
No rnd events	?	No	No	Yes	No	|	No
Time Warp	?	?	3xNo	No	No	|	No
Iron man	?	?	?	No	No	|	No
Rand person	?	No	?	No	Yes	|	No
Rand social	?	No	?	No	Yes	|	No

Last edited by Mart; February 5, 2004 at 15:25.
Old February 5, 2004, 06:58   #25
binTravkin
Emperor

Change for me:
Flexible start: Yes
Intense riv, no scatter & ironman : No
Randomize both: Yes
Old February 5, 2004, 07:05   #26
binTravkin
Emperor

Walek sent in his table:

From top:

Standard
30-50
All average
Transcend

Victories:all Yes

Do or die: Yes
Stagnation: Yes
Spoils: No
Blindres:Yes
No survey: Yes
No Random events: No
Time warp: No
Old February 5, 2004, 07:31   #27
Irgy
Warlord

Some more preferences, most of them are the same as everyone else has voted for. Just go with whatever gets the most votes, no need for me to veto anything; unless it's a tie and someone has to tip the balance it or something...

Difficulty Transc.
Transcend yes
Diplomatic yes
Economic yes
Flexible start yes
Tech stag yes
Blind research no
No survey no
No scatter no
No rnd events no
Rand person no
Rand social no

Everything else that I've left out you can count me as abstaining.

Iron Man is a bit of a moot point in PBEM isn't it? You're not supposed to load more than once anyway are you?

Irgy
Old February 5, 2004, 08:19   #28
Walek
Prince

Iron man is not mater in MP You always had only one load, second and next will be treat as cheating. Sometimes happen but You must tell why You load game twice or more times. I had time when game hang on wiithout any reason. Once i reload game about 4 times or 5. After i change my pc i have no problem now.
Old February 5, 2004, 08:57   #29
Mr. Harley
Prince

Okay, I've got the info I need, it's a pretty standard start actually. The only variation is technical stagnation, plus the fact no body is playing Morgan . Unless you can think of anything else, I'll get started on the map ASAP, hopefully will have it done sometime on the weekend.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:03   #30
Barinthus
King

Everything seems to be going along terrific .

As for the game, I'd prefer Large map and as for the rest, yep consider me as abstaining, I'll just go along with the majority.

How does CMN works anyway? We all do our own narratives or we have one narrator doing all the narratives?