Old February 2, 2004, 12:21   #31
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think the action is reasonable... I wonder... if the shirt had said "Jews are stupid, throw rocks at them" would people feel the same?
Old February 2, 2004, 12:34   #32
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 09:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
The thing, is a similar "humourous" T-Shirt could not be made in this society about some form of violence against women.
Given the relative frequency of real violence, along with the general disparity in physical strength and propensity for violence and physical aggression, the situation is hardly symmetric enough for a reciprocal t-shirt to carry any similar message with the same degree of humor.
Old February 2, 2004, 12:45   #33
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Osweld: It is telling them to throw stones. Even if it's meant as a joke, I don't give 5-10 year olds the credit of being able to see that. Not the vast majority at least.

A cartoon character dropping an anvil on someone's head is:
a) Not an instruction. It's just showing it as something funny, not telling kids to go and do it.
It can be done in an instructional way. It's been a while since I've watched any cartoons, but I'm sure of it.

Quote:
b) Not violent acts on humans. It's easier to decern it as a joke when it's a cat and a mouse, or a roadrunner, as opposed to a human.
There's alot more then just looney toons. Lots of cartoons involve violence between human characters.

Quote:
c) On TV, as opposed to on a t-shirt, worn in public.
And when did T-shirts become more authoritive then Television? T-shirts always have bad jokes on them. It's practically what they're for!

Quote:
Would you think it's ok to sell t-shirts in Israel saying "Pals/Israeli's are stupid - throw stones at them",
It'd be cool if they could be so light hearted about it.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	merocks.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	63378  

Do It Ourselves
Old February 2, 2004, 12:46   #34
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Wow.

Sava made a serious, rational post.

I think I'll go lie down.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 2, 2004, 12:47   #35
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I think the action is reasonable... I wonder... if the shirt had said "Jews are stupid, throw rocks at them" would people feel the same?

I think this homosexual propoganda to drive women away from men into each others arms...
Old February 2, 2004, 13:08   #36
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"
Given the relative frequency of real violence, along with the general disparity in physical strength and propensity for violence and physical aggression, the situation is hardly symmetric enough for a reciprocal t-shirt to carry any similar message with the same degree of humor."

Well of course violence against women is wrong and ought to be condemned. But as blackice and others have pointed out, female-on-male domestic violence does occasionaly occur, and is large part supported by the fact that society views female on male violence as acceptable and even funny, whereas male on female violence is not acceptable. This creates situations where the guy is left without options, as the police are often unwilling to help, and if he tries to strike back then he will become the criminal and face severe sanctions.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old February 2, 2004, 13:08   #37
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Wow.

Sava made a serious, rational post.

I think I'll go lie down.
OMFG OMGFD OMFG NO WYA !

Old February 2, 2004, 13:08   #38
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
The thing, is a similar "humourous" T-Shirt could not be made in this society about some form of violence against women.
I agree Shi. If you really believe people should be able to have t-shirts like this, then they should make some for boys.

Quote:
Given the relative frequency of real violence, along with the general disparity in physical strength and propensity for violence and physical aggression, the situation is hardly symmetric enough for a reciprocal t-shirt to carry any similar message with the same degree of humor.
Among children, MtG? Girls mature faster than boys, so you would have a disparity the other way for a few years, with the girls being bigger than the boys.
Old February 2, 2004, 13:18   #39
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Damn, there are so many other things to be offended about.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old February 2, 2004, 13:20   #40
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

I dont need some santimonious Libertarian telling me what i should or shouldnt protest against, who i should or shouldnt boycott, who i should or shouldnt shame.
Who said I was telling anyone anything of the kind? As the article stated, it was the acts of a FEW protestors that dictated what others should find offensive in the shirts, and not have access too it, and that's wrong.

Is it now up to chain retail stores to sift through every piece of merchandise and filter out every piece that "might" offend a few people? Who becomes the arbiter in those cases?

Quote:
Context is, of course, everything. Stupid, dopy kids throw rocks at each other because they're stupid dopy kids, and the t-shirts play on that for humor. People that read into as some gender indoctrination or tacit approval of gender violence, are morons.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old February 2, 2004, 13:21   #41
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay

And what gives them the right to take away others' enjoyment of the humor they find in the shirts? Let the free market make these decisions- If they don't sell, pull 'em. I don't need some sanctimonius pokenose dictating what products I should/n't be exposed in the open marketplace.
You need to take a chill pill -- I was merely defining what I think PC means. I agree with most people in here, in that those who want the t-shirts stopped are in the wrong.
Old February 2, 2004, 13:26   #42
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

You need to take a chill pill --
I'm intense. Very intense.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old February 2, 2004, 14:05   #43
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I agree with most people in here, in that those who want the t-shirts stopped are in the wrong.
I think freedom of expression is freedom of expression. Yet, if the same were to happen against other ethnic or sexual groups there would be a huge uproar, but then it too should be acceptable. Personally, I would never wear anything advocating violence towards one group...
Old February 2, 2004, 14:07   #44
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 09:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Among children, MtG? Girls mature faster than boys, so you would have a disparity the other way for a few years, with the girls being bigger than the boys.
I suppose if you had six to nine year olds in total isolation from other age groups, girls would be able to hold their own. Real violence at that age is pretty rare, and pretty minimal. Unfortunately, reality is that attitudes and a sense of right and wrong are formed young, then we go on to a world where 90% of their lifespans, most males are physically capable of dominating most females, and for the loser who can't hold his physically in a straight up confrontation, there's always rope and weaponry.

We're not that far days when the "she asked for it" mentality prevailed, and rape, domestic violence and stalking stats show that there is far too much violence against women on an ongoing basis for the subject to be considered in the same way (whether humor material or seriously) as the reverse.
Old February 2, 2004, 14:09   #45
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

I think freedom of expression is freedom of expression. Yet, if the same were to happen against other ethnic or sexual groups there would be a huge uproar, but then it too should be acceptable. Personally, I would never wear anything advocating violence towards one group...
advocating violence is not protected speech... that's why you can't threaten someone with murder or violence.
Old February 2, 2004, 14:09   #46
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"We're not that far days when the "she asked for it" mentality prevailed, and rape, domestic violence and stalking stats show that there is far too much violence against women on an ongoing basis for the subject to be considered in the same way (whether humor material or seriously) as the reverse"

That's a good argument for not allowing reverse, but it doesn't touch on why the current example is acceptable.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old February 2, 2004, 14:15   #47
Q Classic
Emperor

boys are stupid. but if you throw rocks at them, you're only giving them more ammo to throw back at you.

stupid, when will these idiots learn?
Old February 2, 2004, 14:27   #48
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

MTG already provided a rebuttal for this, Japher.
Old February 2, 2004, 14:27   #49
Japher
Emperor

Personal experience Q^3

[sarcasm]

I got a shirt to counter those:

"Black people are criminals - shot them."

[sarcasm]

Not funny.
Old February 2, 2004, 14:30   #50
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 18:24
I believe in my right, if someone throws a rock at me, to throw one back.

Mind you, I'll rarely bother. Most rock throwers can't aim.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old February 2, 2004, 14:37   #51
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Unfortunately, reality is that attitudes and a sense of right and wrong are formed young,
So why is it right to encourage violence against men, and not against women?

Quote:
most males are physically capable of dominating most females,
But not all? What do we do for those losers who refuse to resort to rape?

Quote:
We're not that far days when the "she asked for it" mentality prevailed, and rape, domestic violence and stalking stats
And how does this t-shirt condone any of these actions? If you argue that having a shirt that says, 'throw rocks at girls' condones rape, than what does the t-shirt against boys say to them?
Old February 2, 2004, 14:41   #52
Q Classic
Emperor

hey, he was asking for it, dammit! dressing like that!
Old February 2, 2004, 14:54   #53
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay

Who said I was telling anyone anything of the kind? As the article stated, it was the acts of a FEW protestors that dictated what others should find offensive in the shirts, and not have access too it, and that's wrong.
Dictated!?! What, so people don't have the right to free speech in your libertyrrany? They dictated nothing. They protested, just like you are doing.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 2, 2004, 15:02   #54
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
MTG already provided a rebuttal for this, Japher
I don't like his reasoning. Saying that is o.k. because it is funny, still doesn't make it right.
Old February 2, 2004, 15:19   #55
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Dictated!?! What, so people don't have the right to free speech in your libertyrrany? They dictated nothing. They protested, just like you are doing.
Yeah, Im protesting alright Im "protesting" that most people are intelligent and sophisticated enough to decide for themselves what is humorous and what is offensive. and make their purchasing choices accordingly.

The self-proclaimed PC crusaders that want these pulled from the shelves have apparently made that decision for us already. Good thing we have them to watch over us....

This whole thing reeks of hypocrisy. How many of these stores carry South Park merchandise? Violent video games?
Old February 2, 2004, 16:02   #56
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Americans are stupid - throw rocks at them!
Old February 2, 2004, 16:06   #57
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:24
this is terrible.

men are turning into as big as pussies as women

men should not fall to their level
Old February 2, 2004, 16:07   #58
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Dissident is stupid - throw rocks at him!
Old February 2, 2004, 16:12   #59
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
men should not fall to their level

That's a starter for equality, eh?
Old February 2, 2004, 16:30   #60
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Dissident is stupid - throw rocks at him!
Now that's funny