Old February 2, 2004, 18:12   #1
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 20:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Game mod fiction: About link between techs of modern times and AC
I read a thread somewhere in this forum
(but cant remember where )
where some guys were discussing about the link between AC and modern Earth.

It interests me alot
(and i hope others too)
which techs we already have here on Earth and if there's any tech not found on AC
for example:
tech:GeoEcology
instead of
tech:CentauriEcology

So I open a thread where anyone can express their opinion about:

1) Which techs form AC are already discovered on our homeplanet

1a) Same about secret projs
(it came to my ears lately that "The Human Genome project" is being "constructed" in real life represented by numerous researches in DNA decipherating)

2)Which techs are Earth-specific and is there an equal on AC
(as above with "Eco" techs)

3) If a list of Earth techs is created for a game not called AlphaCenaturi, but maybe Sol or something about that,
(in real life this project will be just a set of modifed AC setting files as "alpha.txt" for example)
what techs must be in this list and how do they relate to each other - tech levels and prerequisites and what opportunities do they open - SecretProjs, BaseFacilities, SE choices etc.

4)What factions should there be on Earth
(I propose US and China as "must-be" ones)

5)And in the end - everything you've heard about new discoveries or research directions in science which somehow relates to SMAC
(for example - nanotechnologies are showing up,so Hovertank on earth seems not a level 8, but maybe 4 to 6 tech)

If enough information will be gathered,a game mod called "how-will-you-call-it?" will appear with the techs and facs from this thread included.
This is your opportunity to participate in creation of a new game!
For information about mods see http://www.geocities.com/alde_baron/
(aldebaran project)

Hoping for free flow of information
binTravkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2004, 15:56   #2
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 12:25
Sounds interesting.
Old February 3, 2004, 17:40   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Check out this "SMAC Tech in the News" thread from a while back:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...38#post1323238

Here's another thread about a space elevator.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...space+elevator

They're making major new advances in viral and microbial studies. It's not quite Retroviral Engineering, but there is an experimental vaccine against the Ebola hemorrhagic fever made from RNA replicons from Venezuelan equine encephalitis. It has a 100% success rate in guinea pigs and other animals capable of carrying Ebola - which is strange when you consider that VEE is a mosquito-borne disease from South America and Ebola is a monkey disease from central Africa. Something to ponder. Here is a link to that article's abstract. Like I said, it's not quite SMAC technology, but it is microbial engineering.

The U.S. military has been interested in mind-machine interface for pilots and remote-control vehicles. Just recently, scientists connected a robotic arm to a monkey's central nervous system and taught the monkey to move the arm just by thinking about it, the way you do with your own arm.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/medicin...576464,00.html
Old February 3, 2004, 20:22   #4
Sovereign
Prince

Thats some creepy and interesting reading.

Modern Tech is catcing up pretty quickly to Sci Fi tech. We'll probably see contact with aliens, or at the very least, a ship actually going to Alpha Centauri in our lifetimes, at the rate our tech is developing.
Old February 4, 2004, 12:34   #5
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

I will make a reply "in full sentences" soon, if interested theres a similar thread in "AC Creation" forum, but the replies are not the same!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 4, 2004, 18:40   #6
Sovereign
Prince

Are you going to design the whole thing, BinTravkin?
Old February 4, 2004, 18:55   #7
binTravkin
Emperor

I expect some help from those which are interested and some testing of Alpha.txt and "Facfiles".txt
Also - I cant write perfect blurbs and interludes,because my English is not so good to do it, so expect some guys will help me to do it
I already know some candidates,but I dont know, will they agree to do that
If there is anyone who thinks, he could make some blurbs or short stories, he could help me a bit
Im not asking much - write one good blurb and your name will be in "creators" or "storywriters" list of mod!

Anyway - soon(next week!) Im going to publish 1st level techs for further discussion, when the 1st level will be completed or at least some techs will be approved, it will be the time to write blurbs for them
You must see what the tech is to brain out something good..

Also - about those fac pic files - if anyone has suggestions for fac leader portraits or base outlooks - just send me in and the best will be chosen (elected)

This week was a bit slow, I hope for more progress in the next - I will have more time, I hope
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 4, 2004, 19:10   #8
binTravkin
Emperor

Found a good blurb,but dont know if its not included somewhere in AC (maybe in SMAX, because I havent seen this in SMAC):

“Grab the back of your hand and pinch the extra skin that resides there. Now, take a knife and cut that slab of skin and fat away. Next, take a cup of sand and pour it over the wound. The final step is to attach gauze overtop the wound. Planet is much like my example; Planet after Meskha Treibek, that is. There is simply not enough gauze on Planet to repair the wound she inflicted.”

-Provost Prokhor Zakharov,

“The Mind of the University.”
Old February 4, 2004, 19:16   #9
binTravkin
Emperor

Same with these - Has anyone seen them in game?

“In the world of humanities ancestors, those who stole an apple had their hand sliced away on the spot. Those who connived and spied against their countries were publicly hanged or beheaded. Kings and queens who deceived their subjects were ousted out of power, and likely killed. Yet in humanities world today, it’s suddenly considered barbaric to send the evil to their deaths. Where did you go wrong?”

-Shila Zakharov,

“The Words of the Created.”

“Lost within my own mind, aching beyond recourse; My only surviving force that compelled me was to regain control of my being, my people and my faction. The latter two I gained back, but I don’t think I’ve ever regained myself completely. Something of me is still missing…like a final task is still left incomplete…”

“You seem to have insatiable urge to destroy yourselves. You can be the most rational human born, and you’ll still have to suppress yourself to kill your enemies. It’s in your mind, and it’s in your blood. Why fight the urge? I’ll tell you why. Because friendships and sworn enemies could be interchanged in a split second…and the bombs that you were once throwing at an old foe could become friendly fire to a new friend.”

Shila Zakharov,

“The Words of the Created.”

“Once upon a time, there was a vision…unified life among humans. All the faction leaders swore upon it, and we set out towards Planet. Nearly two-hundred years later, I simply have to think to myself…what the hell happened?”

Old February 4, 2004, 20:58   #10
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I have never seen or read those at all! Where did you find them?
Old February 4, 2004, 21:01   #11
binTravkin
Emperor

It is at
http://www.fanfiction.net/list.php?categoryid=735

The 5th story; and also in some others too..
I believe they are from SMAX,but if youve never seen them..
Do u have SMAX?
Old February 4, 2004, 21:35   #12
Mr. President
Emperor

I had SMAX (it's not installed right now), but I've never read through all of its blurbs. So they might be in there somewhere.

However, since they feature prominently at fanfiction.net, it is also possible that someone might have made them up for a story.
Old February 6, 2004, 12:37   #13
Sovereign
Prince

I play a lot of University in SMAC / SMACX when I was playing it a couple years ago.

I can tell you, I've never seen "Sheila" before. She must be a fanfic character, and the Academician's blurbs you posted don't exist in SMAC / SMACX.
Old February 15, 2004, 20:14   #14
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 19:25
About those 'factions', and the whole idea actually.

Is this scenario supposed to go to the launch of 'Unity'?

IOW does it start somewhere after 1950's and goes 'till the Holocaust or 'Unity' launch?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
GeoModder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2004, 16:21   #15
Sovereign
Prince

I think he meant AFTER the nuclear war, GeoModder.

Hence the radioactive tiles, mutant life forms, shattered cities, etc.

Basically, he wants to build a SMAC game based off Earth AFTER the Unity launched, and play the "scenario" as you and the other "factions" rebuild the Earth and its civilizations after the supposedly "World War 3".
Old February 16, 2004, 16:35   #16
binTravkin
Emperor

Well Im back in this thread again!

See, you guys have been discussin a bit..
So:
Quote:
I think he meant AFTER the nuclear war, GeoModder.
My primary aim is as sovereign says, but this idea has split up a bit and some have proposed a
1. something aruond 1950-2060(as launch)
2. 2060-... (my first idea, may include Unity, or 2nd launch or contact AC)
3. a copy of civilisation3 into SMAC interface (this one is very easy)

Also different stories have been proposed - some say that after nukewar it would be much left over to base on, some say - wont be!

I for myself want to create that nukewar scenario,because a future without nukewar will require that most of AC techs (especially chassis) are available without prerequisites, but that will render game somehow weird - imagine yourself having needlejets,rovers, cruisers and missiles at the very beginning
..might be interesting,but reduces the value of techs!

Coming soon - Level 1 techs for my game!
Old February 17, 2004, 11:58   #17
binTravkin
Emperor

This is empty (edited)!
Look below!
Old February 17, 2004, 12:01   #18
binTravkin
Emperor

Ive found that maintaining 2 similar threads in different forums makes some difficulties, so I announce that from now on the main thread will be that in AC Creation forum!

Please post there

Heres a link for that second thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...2731262&t=8779
Old February 19, 2004, 16:39   #19
Sovereign
Prince

10-4 BinTravkin. I'll head over there!