Old February 2, 2004, 23:52   #1
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Rebellious City Governors?
Not sure if this is a bug - probably not since it's been around for as long as I can remember, but it's still damn annoying!

When I capture AI cities then garrison them to stamp out resistance, it usually takes a few turns to get this done, depending of course on the city size.

In order to starve it down I always put the non-resisting pop on entertainment, which means your temple starts building and should keep the city out of dis-order, reducing that chance of flipping.

But every turn, all non-resisting citizens are automatically reset to be working tiles, which of course triggers unhappiness and disorder.

Is there any way to stop the entertainers being re-set to workers every turn during this process? It's very annoying and often leads to flipping since you're in dis-order all through the resistance phase.

Cheers!
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2004, 01:24   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Put the gov for "this city" on happiness. I think that will work. I do it manually so I am not positive.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2004, 05:30   #3
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

That's my point...how do you do it manually (ie without using the governor) and avoid the entertainers being re-set to work the tiles each turn, triggering disorder due to unhappiness?
Old February 3, 2004, 06:14   #4
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
Unfortunately, you can't. If you capture a size 12 city and have 8 resistors, you can set all the remaining population to entertainers to starve/keep happy the population. You then garrison troops there to reduce the resistance. If any are stopped, the default setting of work force placement is reset (this being food). You will then get massive unhappiness. The only way to curb this is to make the default setting to happiness through the governer.

The reasons for this is similar to how you can get free shields in a "four-turn-settler-pump". It has to do with the order in which things occure at the begining of a turn. The first thing that gets computed is commerce (research), the next is happiness (to include resistance) then growth and ending with production. The only way to intervene in this cycle is the governer. It cannot be done manuely (just like you can't pick the tile to be worked during a turn of growth).
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2004, 06:42   #5
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

...er, I think thats it anyway. I know that happiness computation comes before growth (or starving) because on the turn that a city would grow, your city stays in happiness even if the new population point would put the city into riot. I also know that resistance is calculated before happiness as you will get the message "You troops have quelled 'x' resistors." Followed imediately by " 'City' is rioting."

Hmmm... is there a thread that describes, indetail, what order things happen inbetween turns?

Here is my assesment:
Research
Taxes
Resistance
Happiness
Growth/Starve
Production

I'm not sure about the Taxes part. It might come at the same time as Research but I know that it comes before Growth/Starve (or else we would be getting free commerce just like we can with shields).
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2004, 13:34   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Manually is no problem. If I have set enough lux and entertainers to ensure no anarchy and then hit end. The city will not lose production. The turn starts with citizens reallocated and now I have too much unhappiness. I got my production from the last turn and now I have to check that city to see if I need to reassign pop.

This is something I will do for any newly aquired city. Late in the game, I may use the Gov as I no longer care that much about getting everything I can.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:50   #7
vmxa1
Deity

donegeal's point on the 4 settler pump is very critical.
Look at the AU501 start and see that you can lose growth if you do not take care about when you switch your pop to what tile.
You have to time it so that you have a citizen on the fish and not the bonus grass on the turn that the town will grow. Otherwise the gov will not place the new citizen on the forrest and you will not have the shields needed.
Old February 3, 2004, 14:40   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
That's my point...how do you do it manually (ie without using the governor) and avoid the entertainers being re-set to work the tiles each turn, triggering disorder due to unhappiness?
You can't do it if you're starving your cities. As soon as a citizen dies off, the rest will go back to working the tiles. You'll have to do it manually every turn until you get the city down to where you want it to be.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2004, 23:03   #9
Aqualung71
Emperor

Thanks guys, help appreciated. I've finally found a use for the Governor!
Old February 4, 2004, 14:20   #10
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 10:25
How to use governors:

1. Only want no revolts
Yes, this city to Manage Happiness

2. want no revolts and hopefully reduce pop
Yes, this city, Manage Happiness
Yes, this city, Manage Production

Only value I have seen for governors. Use one of above with newly c aptured cities, or very corrupt cities.

PF
planetfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2004, 16:28   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 12:25
Planetfall, are you saying that with both manage happiness and manage production the governor won't reset the work force like it does for manage happiness on and everything else no?

On a similar note, I've noted that on the first cultural expansion, the AI forceably relocates your workers and so you if you have a different priority than the AI you have to reset them.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2004, 19:42   #12
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Set your gov to manage hapiness, he will automaticly, when there is a small change in the happines of a city correct so it won't drop in disorder, ofcourse if there are not enought lux/ent to counter unhappyness he won't be able to do it. Still do some old communist techniques when you conquer a city to avoid fliping relocate around your empire, create workers or settlers send them in your central cities, take a settler from there and so on. You will need some GP to rush, but you will avoid unhappyness and disorder that way and most of all flipping. It is a good strategy. A city of 12 you can get rid of 6 by settlers in 3 turns I say build 4, bring other four and the city is yours. But of course this is not your question adn im just rambling along, still the answers is at the start of my post
BulMaster is offline   Reply With Quote