Old February 3, 2004, 10:53   #1
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The reign of Zedd
2100 BC
This island home is a wonderful place, but our people are growing restless, they want to build more cities and for that they must have new lands. Therefore Zedd declares his intention to build better rafts to carry our people further, and find new lands to settle. To do this we will grow our populous and begin a new process of ¡§Zinning¡¨ REVOLUTION

2050 BC The sun rises and Zedd has taken his place in the palace proper, His first order of business is to order a monument created for Mr. cavebear.
Taxes set to 3.0.7 = 15 turns/tech

2000-1800 BC Workin¡¦ the fields

1750 BC
Apolytonia reaches size 4, 100,000 ppl

1700-1550 BC Workin¡¦ the fields

1500 BC
Wise men discover Writing--> Map Making
Settlers begin irrigation of forest to provide further food resources and encourage growth.

1450-1400 BC Workin¡¦ the fields

1350 BC
Forrest becomes Plains

1300 BC
Plains irrigated

1250 BC
Apolytonia grows to size 5
LET THE ZIN BEGIN

1200 BC
Zulus abandon HG

1150 BC
Zulus undertake HG

1100-1050 Alternate Zinning

1000 BC
Wise Men discover Map Making--->Mysticism Goal is astronomy for Copes

950-850 BC

800 BC
Mysticism, Astro not a choice so Literacy (for eventual republic?)

775 BC
First Carth Trireme built, Sails due east.

750 BC Trireme still kickin¡¦

725 BC Trireme sinks and Zedd, determined to find land orders new boats to be constructed.

700 BC Machiavelli says we are Pathetic (6), Zulus build HG

675-600 BC building Trireme, Zinning

575 BC build Trireme and heat north east

550 BC Trireme Lost

525 BC Perepolis builds Light house, Wise men discover literacy and we have WC, HBR, Masonry, Bronze working, or Philosophy as choices¡K---> Philosophy! (Zedd crosses his fingers)

500-275 BC Build trireme and Zin

250 BC New Trireme in Apolytonia, Wise men research Philosophy and divine enlightenment takes over in Apolytonia, Republic is discovered and we choose to research Bronze working over Warrior code and Horse back riding.

At this I will pause to allow the people to catch up on history and decide if the time is right for republic. I am divided on the issue as republic can boost trade and growth, however we have many units to support and no resources for building happy wonders which will be an issue at size 6.
There is a NON settler wondering the island waiting for a lucky sailor to locate land. There were some Barb boats that passed by from the North West in 300 BC so that was to be my next direction in the search for land.

Last edited by Zedd; February 3, 2004 at 10:58.
Old February 3, 2004, 11:06   #2
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

The save and my 2 cents
I feel that I may have played too many turns but i was so eager to find land that I lost track of how many turns I was acctually playing.

The citizens now have an oportunity to revolt if they wish, and my declare a republic or a new monarch if they wish. I will contine to serve as King Zedd and will post another thread calling for recomendations for a science advisor, which at the moment is the only position viable. Once we discover land Some one will have to take on the daunting task of foreign relations, other than that we really don't need any other positions for now.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ap_b250.sav (140.5 KB, 6 views)
Old February 3, 2004, 11:46   #3
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 18:26
I'm not sure that the Xinning was worthwhile, because our capital will never have corruption, so maybe we could have got more beakers by actually working the tiles and building a library. Just a thought - you were playing the game after all, and in a better position to make that decision at the time. But with so many sea squares I'm not sure we need to Xin at all. Xinning is best if you have cities of a decent size without any good trade squares, and those who would normally lose most of their arrows to corruption.
But we're moving on up!

Stop moving all those triremes to their doom!
Land is obviously not just next-door to us, and you'll only waste hundreds of shields sending the poor seamen to Davy Jones' locker. We should be building things that will get us to non-sinking boats quicker, like caravans to build a wonder or a library. Otherwise we're just pouring away useful shields. Pile up the camels so we have something to put on the boats once finished, and so we can get a wonder built.

*Duke decides to take a rest from RCC*
Old February 3, 2004, 14:04   #4
Zedd
Prince

Acctually by Xinning (sorry for the previous mis-spellings) each citizen produces three beakers, which meant 13 beakers from the city IIRC. the best trade we can get is 3 arrows from the ocean squares which causes a food shortage so realisticly we had 13-15 trade arrows with all workers arranged optimally and only 70% of that can go towards science at the research cap. I may have only earned a couple extra beakers every other turn by Xinning but every little bit helps.

I admit sending boats to their doom is a futile effort and building a libraty would be better use of the shields, however if our city grows to 6 we will begin to see some hapiness issues and i stink at OCC, give me 10 size 8 cities in republic any day.
Old February 3, 2004, 19:48   #5
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
Just to remind everyone of the restrictions we placed on our game:

1. One city on a 5 square island at least 7 squares from the nearest land.
2. A second city cannot be established until 1040 AD.
3. There will be no Ironclads or Diplomats built.
4. Trade (Caravans) are allowed.
5. Spies are allowed.
6. We must maintain a “spotless” reputation.

So, it is pretty doubtful that we can reach any other land with a Trireme. And I hope we didn't send any Settlers on those Triremes, as we can't build a 2nd city yet.

I don't think we are ready for Republic, unless we trade in some of those Warriors to build something more useful (and reduce our shield support costs).
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old February 4, 2004, 03:46   #6
rjmatsleepers
King

Local Time: 17:26
In a republic we could celebrate our way to a decent size and thus increase our research rate and fatten the treasury. Since we're not fighting anyone and no prospect of reaching another continent just yet, we can keep all units in the city. But how far can we celebrate without trade routes and hapiness wonders?

RJM at Sleeper's
Old February 4, 2004, 14:51   #7
Zedd
Prince

Quote:
2. A second city cannot be established until 1040 AD.
This one slipped my mind
It seems my time would have been better spent trying to rush the Lighthouse. I felt that magellans would be the better wonder.

No settlers were dispatched on the boats, I wanted to locate the land first. I usually have luck with triremes and do not sink any, I am now 2 for 3.

Well, i will go brush up on my OCC tips, and prepare to play tomorrow night. That will give some more time for any RCC, or ministerial applicants.
Old February 5, 2004, 05:41   #8
duke o' york
Emperor

Are we going to vote on whether to establish a republic at this early stage, or to wait a bit?

I think we should stay in Monarchy for the time being anyway.

I need to brush up on my OCC skills too. I was playing one last night, and got a wonderful start with Colossus, HG(!) and Cope's early on, tonnes of trade and 10 shields a turn, but didn't have the autosave on and popped an advanced tribe in my first hut for many years, having forgotten to save beforehand. Most disappointing. If I can find the save from the start of the game then I might post it in the general forum so everyone can have a go.
Old February 5, 2004, 09:40   #9
Zedd
Prince

Revolution, NO
As king I have decided it best to remain in monarcy (still two or three secret passages in the castle I havn't walked thru yet.

If the people wish to turn to republic they can allways revolt, but i think most are in agreement with me.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:23   #10
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
I need to brush up on my OCC skills too. I was playing one last night, and got a wonderful start with Colossus, HG(!) and Cope's early on, tonnes of trade and 10 shields a turn, but didn't have the autosave on and popped an advanced tribe in my first hut for many years, having forgotten to save beforehand. Most disappointing.
Ah, the first thing you learn when you are playing mp - always have autosave on.
Old February 14, 2004, 11:53   #11
Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 17:26
Yeh, just a thought: all those warriors in our magnificent city.. are they there for a reason? Seems to me that we could get rid of two of them so we have full shield production

I think we definetly need the benefits of tech and money from a republic though.

Even if we have some units out fighting, the sheer happiness and joy of our citizens will stop the cities falling into disorder
Old February 14, 2004, 19:25   #12
cavebear
Emperor

We have all those Warriors because there was a period where there were no city improvements to build. We could either disband them for 1/2 their shields, or keep them around until we can send them with Settlers to protect new cities.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old February 16, 2004, 05:56   #13
duke o' york
Emperor

I say disband them! We're still quite a way from developing the ships to carry our settlers away to new lands and have no extra settlers built so we may as well just lose the warriors for the time being, gain 10 shields and research our way to Navigation asap.
Old February 16, 2004, 11:04   #14
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

definitely disband them - you'll get 5 shields towards whatever we decide to build for each warrior + 1 additional free shield in production. we have far too many to be a republic, and even too many for a one city monarchy. we can deal with a lack of a military once we get off the island.