Old February 3, 2004, 12:10   #1
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 18:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why do you believe in the Big Bang?
It seems to me that a huge proportion of our society and indeed people who post here have an unswerving belief in the Big Bang.

I am no creationist (in the fundie sense), but I certainly don't see the evidence for the Big Bang that a lot of you seem to see, so could you please explain to me why you believe in it?

I am genuinely curious because the same people also seem to put a lot of store in scepticism of religion and discredit the idea of faith. So they presumably don't just 'have faith' that it happened, or indeed just have faith in the discovery channel, but havesolid scientific grounds for their stance.

Have you solved all the problems associated with Big Bang models too? Do you even know what they are?
Old February 3, 2004, 12:12   #2
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 13:26
The religion of (often bad) science.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 3, 2004, 12:17   #3
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
It fits best with my belief in an uncaring, indifferent-to-our-lives universe.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 3, 2004, 12:22   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:26
Because it's the most plausible theory, and because there is evidence that the stars have been expanding from a point.

I trust most eminent scientists, who have to conform to peer review, standards of evidence and proof and the debate of theories, more than I trust an eminent theologian, who studies ancient texts. They have evidence, if not proof, that the Big Bang happened, and I see it as the most plausible theory because of that.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 3, 2004, 12:22   #5
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Well, extrapolation backwards of galaxy movement, cosmic radiation, etc. fits the Big Bang theory. It matches what we know about force, distribution of the elements, and the age of the stars.

Of course, the "Big Bang" theory was named by someone who didn't accept it, but the name stuck.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:23   #6
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

I agree with Starchild.

We are microbes in a far bigger macro-cosmos.

How it began is moot, we had best understand our surroundings first.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:24   #7
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 10:26
The big bang theory certainly has problems with it, just like any scientific theory where concrete evidence is not available.

What the big bang theory does is give a working explanation /possibility for observations that we have observed, such as the expansion of the universe, or rather that objects in space are moving further apart.

It is just a working hypothesis, and I have little doubt that it will be built upon and reworked as our knowledge and observations increase.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:25   #8
Stuie
King

I don't "believe" in it (that is, I do not blindly accept that it is the truth), but I do accept it as the most plausible theory available for a start point for our universe as we know it.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:26   #9
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Are you saying there's no difference between belief in a theory and deep, personal faith in god Rogan?
Old February 3, 2004, 12:38   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I don't believe in it, per se. I see it as the most plausible theory out there, at least that I can understand, not being an astrophysicist myself. Having said that, given that our knowledge of the universe is still very limited, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the BB ends up being disproven.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 3, 2004, 12:40   #11
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I believe in ignorance, personally.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 3, 2004, 13:12   #12
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I trust most eminent scientists, who have to conform to peer review, standards of evidence and proof and the debate of theories, more than I trust an eminent theologian, who studies ancient texts.
Have you actually read any papers written by these 'eminent scientists'? Or are these theories translated to you via the popular media? So are you saying that you believe pro-Big-Bang scientists because they have the best PR? I too am an 'eminent scientist', but you never believe anything I say

The Big Bang is an extrapolation of known physics over 17 orders of magnitude. Doesn't that seem like a big leap to you?

Let's tackle just one problem with the big bang. The idea with the BB was that there was an initial explosion of energy and all matter was created out of that energy, right? Basically, there was a wash of photons (light) and a lot of the photons split into particle-anti-particle pairs, creating the matter we see around us today. But what happened to all the anti-matter? The theories all tell us that anti-matter must have been produced in equal amounts - so where did it go?

This is known as the Baryon-Asymmetry problem and is just one of the many many problems we have with the BB. But we never hear anything about it in the popular press.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:15   #13
Cruddy
Warlord

While the Big Bang theory isn't perfect, it does seem more likely to me on the observed fact; most of the observable galaxies (apart from the very nearest ones) are seperating at very high speed.

Roll the sequence back and it becomes obvious they must have had a common origin... that is, the Big Bang.

Also, the fact that the cosmic wavefront was detected back in the 60s (the energy residue of the leading edge of the explosion - not quite the right words but close) seems to me further evidence.

At the end of the day though, it just gives astrophysics something to argue about, rather than doing a useful job like driving a bus.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old February 3, 2004, 13:16   #14
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh

I too am an 'eminent scientist', but you never believe anything I say
That's because you post here. All OT posters are seen as unreliable at best (I mean, Civ players?).
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old February 3, 2004, 13:18   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 12:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I believe in ignorance, personally.
same here.

i've read a lot of publications on the big bang, and it does seem to follow logically from many things scientists have cited, and it appears to be "our best guess".

a theologiest would ask, "well, what if the big bang was created by god?", and ascientist would scramble to find the answer that isn't there.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:24   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I don't believe all matter in the universe was originally concentrating in one place... that just doesn't make sense to me. I think the big bang was probably a real event, but I doubt it contained all matter. I suspect that when planets and star systems fall into black holes, they concentrate into larger and larger anomalies until they reach a sort of critical mass... then they expand (like the big band theory). I suspect that all the matter visible to us was part of a regional big bang (so to speak)... but if space goes on infinitely, it's reasonable to think there is more matter that's VERY FAR AWAY that was not part of the big bang that created the universe as we know it.

Even though I have formulated such a theory, I don't "believe" in it the same way religious people believe in their god. It's a theory that will no doubt change as I learn more. It's a static understanding I have... that's the difference between the religious and myself.
Old February 3, 2004, 13:25   #17
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

I think that the Hot Big Bang theory explains the universe after the first 10E-49 of a second (or however long they can go back) better than any other theory we've got so far.

It's a bit dumb thinking it's the complete answer because it isn't.

We've got both kinds
Old February 3, 2004, 13:27   #18
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX

a theologiest would ask, "well, what if the big bang was created by god?", and ascientist would scramble to find the answer that isn't there.
Apparently Stephen Hawking did the math that proved you didn't need an initiator for the Big Bang.

Mind you, he would type that on his synth voice, wouldn't he?

(He couldn't say it because he can't talk).
Old February 3, 2004, 13:49   #19
Rogan Josh
Prince

Stephen Hawking is a case in point I think. The guy is a pretty decent physicist I think, but there a lot of smarter kids on the block (so to speak). We never get to hear about the other guys because they aren't so 'weird' - the media focusses on SH and make him into some kind of supergenious just because of his disability. Star Trek even had him playing chess with Einstein -- pleeeease!

(That must really piss off Ed Witten, who most physicists think is the smartest kid on the block...)
Old February 3, 2004, 13:53   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy

Apparently Stephen Hawking did the math that proved you didn't need an initiator for the Big Bang.

Mind you, he would type that on his synth voice, wouldn't he?

(He couldn't say it because he can't talk).
whenever I think of Stephen Hawking, I always think of Ned from South Park... you know... the Vet who talks through that throat microphone...

[ned voice]
mmmmm... the universe was not created by god.mmmmm
[/nedvoice]
Old February 3, 2004, 13:57   #21
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:26
Actually more and more scientists are starting to say that they find religion and science to be comptiable. Seeing God in science, that sort of thing.

What blows my mind is how did Big Bang come to be? What was there before Big Bang? Then what was there before that? How did God came to be? Was there a beginning or perhaps there was no beginning?
Old February 3, 2004, 14:14   #22
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
I believe in the big bang everytime I see a nice woman....
Old February 3, 2004, 14:14   #23
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

God is physics.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 3, 2004, 14:21   #24
centrifuge
Prince

The problem with the whole science vs religion debate is that people often seem to think that it has to be one or the other.

Why can't science just be thought of as a way of coming in closer contact with God? Science in no way disproves God's existance and should rather be thought of by fanatical theologians as a way of better understanding what God has created.
Old February 3, 2004, 14:37   #25
yavoon
Warlord

there is one insoluble point w/ what I perceive as ur conclusion rogan.

you are attempting to poke holes in a scientific theory in order to forward a non-scientific theory. or even in general, shooting one theory up does not promote another.

it is obvious there is much about the universe still to be explained. but the utterly myopic view that shooting up honest, rigorous and effective attempts to explain the universe in favor of reffering to an old book a hunch or common sense is doomed to failure.
Old February 3, 2004, 14:37   #26
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

@centrifuge:

If only!

The creed of religionists: It's their way...Or some mythical hell place they have dreamed up.

The creed of scientists: There is no punishment for ignoring the logical world, only eventual humiliation.
Old February 3, 2004, 14:47   #27
Verres
Settler

Its so much better to know nothing about the origins of the universe at all - I can just look at the night sky and see a lot of pretty stars without wondering how they got there
Old February 3, 2004, 14:58   #28
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

cosmic background radiation bud. that says it all. i would go so far as to say this proves the big bang - or at least something like the big bang did occur.

and the Big Bang sounds better than just 'god created it all', and I certainly don't see the evidence for a universe created by some god.
Old February 3, 2004, 15:01   #29
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

'The theories all tell us that anti-matter must have been produced in equal amounts - so where did it go? '

wrong Rogan Josh... where did u get this bit of info. the universe was not perfect, more matter than anti-matter. i guess god would have been better... but there aint one! :O
Old February 3, 2004, 15:28   #30
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by curtsibling
@centrifuge:

If only!

The creed of religionists: It's their way...Or some mythical hell place they have dreamed up.

The creed of scientists: There is no punishment for ignoring the logical world, only eventual humiliation.
I'm a research scientist(Chemistry), I have authored several refereed article in the scientific literature etc. and yes I do believe that the majority of natural phenomenon can be explained by scientific means.

I also go to church every Sunday (well almost every Sunday ) I do so because I know that there is a difference between science and religion, and that one often compliments the other.

Moral of the story: Just because you believe in God doesn't mean that you can't believe in science and vice versa