Old February 3, 2004, 15:57   #1
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 17:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Day I betrayed the world
Well, ever experienced to have everyone against one? I did in my current game. It wasn't my fault. Briefly: I'm the second economic power, military I suck, no wars during my entire existences. The year is 1260 AD, don't be fooled I'm at the end of the industrious era. Tree techs to go. I play on a huge earth with 31 civs on emp. So in that magic year, facist china had been terrorising the eastern world for the last 500 years or so. Having established a hegemony of indispute power and having destroyed mani cities before hand, has led to the city limit to be down, it was reached many centuries ago, so Me - Russia has managed to occupy only the european part of russia of today and the Balkans. Instabul has long falles to the russian Cossacks. So I send a settler to colonised the vast free territories in the east and find a sweet spot with ivory and spices to improve my self suffieciency. In that year fasict china declared war on my empire. Given that there are 22 other civs around us, all entangled in never ending wars since 1AD, I hat two choices either risk ching to trow the rest of the world well some of them at me or me trow them at china. Well I signed alliances against China with everyone, half of them were at war already. the others well they were quiete eager to go to war with me. An obsolete tech here no more than a lump sum of 20GP there and so on. It is good to mention that there are very few advanced countries, only me china and 5 more. The rest had barely entered the ind era. So at that time my IA was availible and I build it rather quickly. Factories and coal plants were everywhere. I mean I had 1/3 of china cities and have the bigges productivity. So since I had planted a spy i knew what China had. The problem was that well I needed ruber which was only in abundance in China and the trade we had only lasted for me to upgrade all my troops to infantry. In the first turns was a phoeny war. Suddenly at the old indian border on the easter shores of the sea, where one olf babylon city lies that I had conquered for the Dye around 40 Infantries showed up. China had ~280 of them - me only 30. My empire was RR everywhere so I quickly moved troops there. Mobilised and found that my Cossacks were completly inefective against the infantry, dunno maybe I had a bad seend for 15 turns or soemthing but around 40 of those died with lilling max 5 infantry and scratching the rest. Then again I saw the stupidity of the AI, whcih instead of conquering my two cities there was wandering around and taking the scratched troops to China. Somehow my two cities were intact, democracy was unstable as war weariness was high. Still the anarchy would be around 7 turns so didn't ris to change gov. Instead I sold techs to some rich countries to get money and rush my cossacs, which every turn were dying and dying and such. The chinese troops used some RR that were in no territory and were at my border in Europe, with artilery i manged to chase the division that would have wrecked havock otherwise since most of my cities had no troops all was send to war. I couldnt atack with teh infantry had very few, did atack but China was maintaining her presence. I did manage to kill her cavalry my cossacks were better against them. In that very moment china was pissed and soon I had 100Infantry at my doorsteps. There were 8 turns left for some of the alliance to end, others were brocked two turns after the war. China managed to trow two countries at me but they were on anotehr continent. In the end I had no choice, cossacks inefective my so called allies were in wars between them, no troops came to help me but at least the didn't atack me. So i signed peace, made China pay 80GP thoug . I'm buying rubber and oil and building my armies cause I had only cossacks and around 5 infantries, nothing else. So in that very turn I broke 20 alliances, the other two countris had broken them a couple of turns and were at war with me. hehe So i betrayed the world!

Since i could produce a cossakc and inf in two turns in around 10 cities the next 6 turns i rebult my troops and unleashed my defeated wrath on my neighbours. Good to mention that only 5 countries have rubber,3 of which are in america and Im the 6th one but am buying from china again. So no one has infantries. My 9 bobmers that were bought wained bombs with my 20 remaining artilieries and I soon expanded. Now everyone is pissed it is 1320 I'm with 3 others am in the Modern era, gave free techs to everyone to catch up and the amazing thing was that in one turn China prduced 42 tanks :S that's all she has cause its running out of money, the infantry are down too, but WOW 42 in one turn in that same turn i had only 1 . So now am preparing for another war with China, first though have to find a way get rubber from Portugal, the only rubber for europe.
Anyway that's my story on when I betrayed the world. No alliances cost me huge amounts of money no longer the usual 10GP
Old February 3, 2004, 17:22   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:27
Sounds like you have your hands full. But to answer teh question, yes I have been at war with all civs a few times. Never with that many on a game though.

Did you not have stacks and stacks of arties to bring to bear on China? No riflemen waiting to upgrade once you got resources?
Old February 3, 2004, 17:40   #3
BulMaster
Warlord

Nope I wasn't planning to be a war mongering game. Just had a some basic troops to defend, that's all. I had merely 20 Cossacks to start with and 3 artileries. Have to say that in the war turns I did produce large quantities of cossacks and artileris. Ended with 20 art alive and 50 cossacs. Given that I probably trew another 50 to their death
Old February 3, 2004, 21:01   #4
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 03:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
a few games ago i played 32 civs on huge map and the AI China declared war on me, The Americans, in the year 150BC or there abouts.

They landed a large invasion force on the West coast if USA and after two turns the other AIs joined the war and within 10 turns had all 31 others allied agaisnt me.

Dotn know how it happened or why, i was only slighlty ahead of all other civs at time.

Needless to say with Aztecs on my continent and China and India landing forces and with no allies of my own for trading GPT , i lost many citys and although i eventually managed to get peace, i was so far behind i didnt end up continuing.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old February 3, 2004, 21:20   #5
Prot
C3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Chieftain

Hehe, once I was playing as the Germans and declared war on China(why does everyone go to war with them?) and decided to test out some ICBM's. I had quite an arsenal. After only 2 nukes the entire world declared war on me. So that's when I showed them who's the man. Every capitol except Berlin in the world was nuked(I was playing on a huge map with 32 civs). After that, I mobilized for war and prepared for the massive defensive war ahead. That's my story, and since it was my first time at war with the world I thought it was fun.

New Hittite MGL: Howard Dean(listen to what their UU sounds like when it attacks)
Old February 4, 2004, 00:10   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Well having lots of troops has nothing to do with playing war or not. If you look on the F3 screen and see a top civ with 200 infantry, it is time to get the armory opened. Otherwise they will come a calling.
Old February 4, 2004, 11:53   #7
BulMaster
Warlord

287 :P to be precise
the only that bothers me is that well it's the year 1300 and im in modern age ! wonder if i will send the SS before 1500
Yeah well I signed peace with my china as i said and you know how the AI loves telling you your bad history, well it has a huge number of betrayale to talk about
Old February 5, 2004, 09:43   #8
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 12:27
I've had the rest of the world against me(7 nations). I was able to eliminate one, a weak neighbor, and all but crush a second; however, the other big kid on the block, Persia IIRC, finally overwhelmed my western coastline with the aid of the others.

It was at that point I turned most of the earth's surface to radioactive waste. Never surrender to mongrels!
Old February 5, 2004, 13:00   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 11:27
I personally love it when MPPs trigger excalations in wars. Its so "historic" feeling.

When the AI starts docpiling me I usually look for somebody I can make a quick gain against, bloody their nose, and then make a quick peace with them.
Old February 5, 2004, 18:56   #10
BulMaster
Warlord

I'd say they should forbid the AI to make alliances, seriously that think is extremely stupid and doesn't know when to stop and when not to sign an alliance. Basicly for the right PRICE it will always go to war! Now that's freaky
Old February 6, 2004, 10:46   #11
Sovereign
Prince

Nice story.

I never had the entire world turn aganist me.

Could be because I'm good at keeping friends.

Or could be that I eliminate the civ's who are "annoyed" with me.
Old February 6, 2004, 13:52   #12
vmxa1
Deity

I am now at war with all civs in the middles ages. Normally I would not be concerned, but this is my first real crack at Sid, so I am not sure what to expect.

They all have gunpowder and I am only doing Invention. So it could get ugly, especially if they get frigates to bombard my shores.
Old February 6, 2004, 16:02   #13
Sovereign
Prince

Good luck, VXMA.
Old February 6, 2004, 17:01   #14
BulMaster
Warlord

that will be nasty! can we see some screes of your complete destruction
Old February 6, 2004, 17:38   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Gee I hope not. How about some of their surrender? Ok, it is more likely to go the other way. I have now got peace with all BTW and it cost me nothing.
Old February 6, 2004, 20:00   #16
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 18:27
You must have scared them with the size of your military.
Old February 6, 2004, 20:07   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Well it was timing. Korea had been bounced off the land, so they were ready to deal.
Celts had been in a state of war with me since first contact and finally landed one long bow.
Indian landed 9 units that turn (5 elephants, 1 musket) and Arabia land 2 units the turn before.

So they all had lost a few units and had been at war for a long time, doing nothing. They all had other wars, so they were ready to go. When one asked for peace, I decided to go to peace all the way around and switch governements to Monarchy.

India was the unfortunate one. They fell for my trap. I had a long row of workers blocking landing, with one gap. Yeah they came in the gap. I had 1 cat and 6 units in that city, but could cover with other units and cats from near by cities. So I whacked them down.

The section of my land that is close to them, they bypassed. I suspect because I had armies all of the area and lots of cats waiting to see them.
Old February 7, 2004, 09:06   #18
BulMaster
Warlord

That had to be fun
Old February 7, 2004, 15:23   #19
vmxa1
Deity

It was after I managed to kill their units, but it was a close call.
Old February 7, 2004, 18:41   #20
BulMaster
Warlord

hehe we want a pic
Old February 7, 2004, 21:28   #21
vmxa1
Deity

I have posted a few in the Sid Experience thread for Conquest forum.
Old February 8, 2004, 16:21   #22
BulMaster
Warlord

will check those
Old February 8, 2004, 21:37   #23
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Ah, those games are great. Long hard fought wars are the best kinds. I had a game just recently with 18 civs on a large continent. Cramped expansion so I only ended up with 8 cities, but I was going along decently, preparing to wage war on Germany. So I slowly build up, around the start of the middle ages i'm still playing catchup, and trying to build up an army without iron. When Inca, one of the civs on top demands 43 gold.

I natrually decline, since i'm losing gold per turn with a jacked up science rate. I've got Numidian Mercs+Catapults guarding all my border cities. Figure i'd be fine. Since they have to walk across from the other side of the continent. Of course, they have the cash/techs to spare and enlisted my neighbors in their war against me. After that I got swarmed by units from 5 civs. I held out as long as possible, taking out maybe 40 units, but being unprepared my loss was inevitable.

So at the end, with their troops surrounding my last city, I was really kicking myself for not paying that 43 gold, especially since I could have easily. Even still, it was a fun game. I like it when the AI puts up a fight.
Old February 9, 2004, 17:15   #24
BulMaster
Warlord

Ok time for another feed on my game. I left it at the moment I signed peace with China. Exactly 4 turns after had already around 20 infantry built thanks to the rubber I import from Mao again. In the mean time Egypt has destroyed carthage and there was a free spot with oil that I quickly settled as my aggreement for this was running out and I have no resources to buy again at higher price. As I said my defeat was hard to swalow and in the turn I got flight i had 9 bombers the next one in which I went to war with the Celts and Ottomans. I had secured the Istanbul at the the black sea and pushed the remaining two cities and drove the Ottomans out of Europe. They are stuck in the middle of Africa now. I put the celts under heavy bombardment with my 20 artileries and 9 bombers. I can say they were an easy target as those long wars that last now a couple of centuries surely have put the presssure on the empires. The celts had some big cities that were eroding my territories and I mean cities of 12. In the first turn 3 of those felt and in the second one the remaining two came under me too. The other ciities were accrosse Germany so I didn't bother going there. My trade balance is slowly going down and I don't know how long can I sustain my self withoug making changes in the finances. I got Motorised Transport and sold it to China for money. I passed in the modern era as well as them. China built 42 tanks in one turn. I gave some free techs to the scienctific civs and brought them in the modern era. Thanks to the Chinese money I stole the tech they got when going in a new era and with my Science Leader built the UN. In the first vote I got tie with Mao.
Around me China is bored and is giving justice in the middle east, where Hittiesn and Sumerians fighting china and each other. Neither to say that the asiatic road to there pass under my border colony so I saw a good number of chinese troops go there. In the mean time Europe is desperatyl fighing inside. There is no winner yet, but I sense Germany falling to Scandinavia. I see once triving and big cities to be of size one now due to facism and drafting. Even the mighty portuguese cities don't seem a challenge to me. Lisbon is just 6 and it was 14 a while ago. Greece has two cities on the Balkans and one more somewhere else. Neither to say they are at my mercy. Since the Germans are obviously loosing I decided to meddle indircetly. As scandinavia has to pass trough me to go fight Bismarck and revoked their right passage. Furthermore send my new tanks to block the boder, so they can't even enter my territories. I sent some more tanks and cossacks around some german cities to protect them from Scandinavian invasion. Iraq demanded rocketry which I denined declaring war at me! That made me loose 100GP/T which they were paying me and that severly reduced my turn earnings. Wall street is up working to get some interests. Now im deciding what to do. Surely if im to face China again I will need a stronger base like the whole of Europe, which means I need to conquer Germany which is paying me 86GP/T for iron and loosing that will upset my financian balance greatly. In the next turns I expect Iraq to trow someone at me so am waiting to see who that will be. Hopefuly not China. I have some of the new anti tanks unit, hope the do work against tanks if im to wage war on Mao again. That's what;s going on in my game. Nothing much, don't have enough time to spend due to long turns. Will keep you updated. Also since I broke the alliances I don't get any invities to join or any MPP guess no body trust me, which I don't understand given that everyone else has done so many betrayales in those wars that this is STUPID, then again who am I to judge!