Old February 4, 2004, 02:00   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 13:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Democratic Vice-Presidential Candidate
Time for speculation. The presidential field continues to narrow. But putting the top of the ticket aside for the moment, who do you think will be up for VP?

Assuming Kerry gets it, I suppose its mandatory he selects a southern VP. Now obvious choices are Edwards and Clark, but if its gonna be a close race to the end I'm not sure they would just jump on as second banana. What are some other options?

Max Cleland?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old February 4, 2004, 02:02   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

How many defeated primary opponents become vice president candidates? It's rare for a reason. I think hoping that Edwards or Clark takes the nod is asking too much. Look for someone else.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 4, 2004, 02:06   #3
Mordoch
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:27
I don't see Clark, that's simply overkill on the military angle. The Vice-President should balance out the ticket and cover any possible weaknesses. Are there any possible candidates from Florida?
Old February 4, 2004, 02:08   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
It's obvious that there is no choice for Kerry -- he has to offer the opportunity to Edwards.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:11   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff

And Edwards will turn it down. It's better for him to do so. Veep is usually a dead end job. Only recently has it been worth anything and even then it isn't that great (you only get to be Prez from Veep if the former Prez was a two-termed really good one and the country doesn't fatigue him).

If Edwards wants to become President he'll say no to Kerry and wait until the next open primary for the Democrats.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 4, 2004, 02:11   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Are there any possible candidates from Florida?
Former Senator Bob Graham, and that's actually where I think Kerry may go.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:12   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Damn it!! If Edwards could find some compelling reason to accept, this would be a viable way to gain more support from the South!
Old February 4, 2004, 02:13   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
If Edwards could find some compelling reason to accept
Who wants to be a Veep? Unless you are willing to wait 8 years for your chance? Look at Lieberman, he was a veep candidate and 4 years later, no one wants him at all.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:14   #9
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Edwards may have lost his chance for the nomination tonight by a few votes in Oklahoma. I think Edwards has set his sights on a run versus Clinton for the 2008 nomination. He will not take it.

It really does not matter who Kerry chooses. A northeastern Democrat can't win in November.

Maybe Richardson?
Old February 4, 2004, 02:15   #10
MrFun
Emperor

So Kerry is suppose to gain support in the South how then?
Old February 4, 2004, 02:15   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
And Edwards will turn it down. It's better for him to do so. Veep is usually a dead end job. Only recently has it been worth anything and even then it isn't that great (you only get to be Prez from Veep if the former Prez was a two-termed really good one and the country doesn't fatigue him).

If Edwards wants to become President he'll say no to Kerry and wait until the next open primary for the Democrats.
It's not just that -- we haven't had a VP elected prez immediately after serving as VP for a long, long time. It's like tacking an additional four years (minimum) to the end of your wait.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:16   #12
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Pick a Southerner? Edwards isn't the only Southern Dem you realize?
Old February 4, 2004, 02:17   #13
MrFun
Emperor

The other southern candidates are not as strong in terms of secondary support, that Edwards has.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:23   #14
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 02:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

It's not just that -- we haven't had a VP elected prez immediately after serving as VP for a long, long time. It's like tacking an additional four years (minimum) to the end of your wait.
Hmm.... George Bush the First wasn't president that long ago, and IIRC he ran against Reagan for the nomination in 1980.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:25   #15
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

It'd really be kind of stupid for Edwards to turn down being Veep. With him not running for Senate Re-election and his poll numbers down in his home statem, Veep may be his best shot for his political future.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old February 4, 2004, 02:26   #16
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
So Kerry is suppose to gain support in the South how then?
Run with Clark over Edwards. Clark will do better than Edwards in the West.

Edwards is just a hopeless dream, to pull away the south from Bush.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:31   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The other southern candidates are not as strong in terms of secondary support, that Edwards has.
That's because he's the only one running. Here is a partial list of the Southern Democrat Senators retiring this year:

Bob Graham - FLA
John Breaux - LA
Zell Miller - GA
Fritz Hollings - SC

I think Breaux or Miller would be a great pick for Kerry. They are both conservative southern Dems who have experience (especially Miller) and are wildly popular in their home states and in the South. MUCH more so than Edwards.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:32   #18
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I don't think anyone can carry a northeastern democrat on his back in the South. I am sorry folks but I live down here and it ain't gonna happen. I know some argue here that a democrat can win without the south. I don't agree with that one either, but that is what Kerry is looking at. If my wife would let me I would bet everythink I own that Kerry is going to get slaughtered. I project 400 electoral votes for Bush.

Kerry's record is being looked at very closely and it is not good. More liberal than Kennedy on the one hand and on the other, he speaks against the Patriot Act, but he voted for it. He speaks against the war, but he voted to give Bush the authority for it. He says he is strong on national defense, but he voted against Desert Storm. He won medals but he threw them away. Too much contradictory behavior.

But the worst strike against him is the fact that he is not inspirational. He is an insider running as an outsider. Anti-lobbyist rhetoric while spending dollars contributed by lobbyists. Spends $150 bucks on haircuts and gets botox injections and then lies about it.

This guy just won't fly. There is a reason we tend not to elect senators. The people do not trust their government. They like going to an outsider for balance.

If not given an inspirational choice the country will buy into Bush 2004, a flag waving nationalist campaign by Carl Rove.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:35   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff

If Kerry picks Graham or Miller as his running mate, I GUARENTEE Kerry wins big, and takes at least 3 Southern states.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:37   #20
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I don't think anyone can carry a northeastern democrat on his back in the South. I am sorry folks but I live down here and it ain't gonna happen. I know some argue here that a democrat can win without the south. I don't agree with that one either, but that is what Kerry is looking at. If my wife would let me I would bet everythink I own that Kerry is going to get slaughtered. I project 400 electoral votes for Bush.
I think you're being wildly pessamistic about Kerry's chances. Furthermore, Kerry absolutely doesn't need to win most of the Southern states. Just winning Florida would do the trick, and winning two Southern states would be absolutely great. While a few might try arguing otherwise, I'd argue that the California is a lock for a Democratic candidate, and most of the Northeast is as well. (An interesting question is whether Kerry can potentially win New Hampshire this time.)
Old February 4, 2004, 02:39   #21
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
If Kerry picks Graham or Miller as his running mate, I GUARENTEE Kerry wins big, and takes at least 3 Southern states.
That is your heart speaking, not your head.

Miller wouldn't accept the nomination.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:42   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
That is your heart speaking, not your head.
No, that's my head . Miller as Veep candidate would easily help Kerry capture Georgia (he is absolutely beloved here), Florida and either Virginia or Louisiana. As for Miller not accepting the nomination, no one thought Bush I would accept the nomination in '80. Stranger things have happened.
Old February 4, 2004, 02:58   #23
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
As for Miller not accepting the nomination, no one thought Bush I would accept the nomination in '80. Stranger things have happened.
Miller has endorsed Bush for president. Makes it kinda unlikely, I think.
Old February 4, 2004, 03:35   #24
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 18:27
Clark said he wouldn't accept the VP. Edwards was more ambiguous. Kerry hasn't been doing to well in the South, so he'll need somebody with a bit of Southern oomph.
Old February 4, 2004, 05:57   #25
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I'd like to see Edwards take it. He's young, he has time, and a stint as VP (that ticket is pretty electable IMHO) would put him in perfect position to succeed Kerry. It get's him well known, giving him instant supporters and publicity should he decide to run for President at a later date, and is quite a step up for a new Senator. It would give him the experience he needs to be President afterwards, since people claim he doesn't have the experience.

Also, if he feels any duty to the Democrat Party, he'll realise it's a damn sight more electable with him there by Kerry. War experience, a Southern Democrat as VP, while still having a Northern Dem as the Pres gives them the best chance of keeping the North, while taking the odd state or two in the South, such as Florida, South Carolina or keeping New Mexico. Bush couldn't use patriotism arguments (but could have them used against him) either.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 4, 2004, 11:06   #26
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

Kerry's record is being looked at very closely and it is not good. More liberal than Kennedy on the one hand and on the other, he speaks against the Patriot Act, but he voted for it. He speaks against the war, but he voted to give Bush the authority for it. He says he is strong on national defense, but he voted against Desert Storm. He won medals but he threw them away. Too much contradictory behavior.

But the worst strike against him is the fact that he is not inspirational. He is an insider running as an outsider. Anti-lobbyist rhetoric while spending dollars contributed by lobbyists. Spends $150 bucks on haircuts and gets botox injections and then lies about it.

This guy just won't fly. There is a reason we tend not to elect senators. The people do not trust their government. They like going to an outsider for balance.

If not given an inspirational choice the country will buy into Bush 2004, a flag waving nationalist campaign by Carl Rove.
It seems like you sound way too arrogant and superior-minded -- do you lack complete respect for any political leader outside the South?
Old February 4, 2004, 12:03   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Miller has endorsed Bush for president. Makes it kinda unlikely, I think.
That was before the primary. Think of the coup! Miller endorsed Bush, but now realizes Kerry is better. After all, you once had a veep who refered to his President's economic plan as 'voodoo economics'.
Old February 4, 2004, 12:05   #28
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
After all, you once had a veep who refered to his President's economic plan as 'voodoo economics'.
And he was right

What are the other southern dems like, in terms of policies? And Are you saying a southern dem supports Bush for the White House, instead of his party?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 4, 2004, 12:09   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
What are the other southern dems like, in terms of policies? And Are you saying a southern dem supports Bush for the White House, instead of his party?
Yes, Miller has said in the past that he backs Bush over his leadership (and with Pelosi and Daschle, who can blame him). Of course the Dems can't kick him out (the voters voted for him, not the party) and he is BELOVED in Georgia.

Other Southern Dems are more conservative than mainstream Democrats. Some of them are more conservative than Northern Republicans.
Old February 4, 2004, 12:11   #30
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Well if Kerry is going to write off the south and try to cobble together all the other states, he may want a Veep from some of the other swing states like West Virginia or Illinois or something.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah