Old February 4, 2004, 15:31   #61
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 13:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
I'm not sure that every one of these ran in the primaries that year, but: Lieberman 2000, Kemp 1996, Gore 1992, Bush 1980, Mondale 1976, Dole 1976, Muskie 1968......
Only Bush ran in the primaries of all of them, IIRC. I'm not sure about Gore, but I think he didn't run in 1992 (though he did in 1988). Lieberman and Kemp I am 100% sure didn't run in the primaries.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 4, 2004, 15:35   #62
randomturn
Prince

Local Time: 17:27
Miller: no chance at all. He is a vain and unpredicatable opportunist and Kerry would never trust him.

Edwards: would certainly take it and may be offered the role. Edwards was looking at an extremely tough Senate fight in NC, where his presidential ambitions were lowering his poppularity. He cannot afford to sit around for 4-8 years as a lawyer and then jump back in. His ONLY chance is to be the veep. However, he may not even be able to carry the Carolinas, so his selection is not slam dunk. Also, he did some things in his trial lawyer days that won't look too good under a microscope.

Graham: a possibility, if it seems like he can bring Fla. He is very popular there. Florida is emerging as the Rep.s version of California: they can't win without it. But if he can't guarantee Florida he won't get it, since he is weird and boring and won't be much help anywhere else.

Breaux: a possibility. Louisiana has strong democrat leanings, and he would certainly carry it, but wouldn't help much elsewhere.

Richardson: a very real possibility, for his ability to carry New Mexico and maybe Arizona as well. If those two states go Dem, the Reps have no chance at all. His hispanic heritage also helps a lot in California and Illinois.

Hilary: 0% chance

regarding the south: you've got to figure Kerry to win WV. It has always been very solidly dem: only Gore's incompetance lost him the state. FL, LA, and Arkansas are also in play. Given the 400,000 jobs lost in the Carolinas, they may be in play if Edwards is the veep.

Other swing states: NH will go Dem this time, as it is increasingly dem anyway from Bostonians and New Yorkers moving up there. It was the only Northeastern state to go for Bush. Ohio and Missouri are big states that went for Bush that have been hit hard on jobs. They will be fiercely contested. Bush's chances without either of those look pretty dim.

Jimmytrick, in general:
With regard to Bush getting 400 electoral college votes, I'll bet you $1,000 right now that doens't happen. Barring the capture of OBL, I'll be amazed if Bush wins at all, given his record on jobs, health care, the defecit, the size and spending of his government, education, the environment, immigration, and his open patronage of corporations and the ultra-wealthy. If there's a blow-out, it's more likely to be against the Reps rather than for them.
Old February 4, 2004, 15:36   #63
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 09:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Veep is usually a dead end job.

GHW Bush, Nixon, Johnson, Truman, Coolidge....... Not exactly a dead end job.
Old February 4, 2004, 15:40   #64
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Why would anyone vote for the dems. if Zell MIller was there?
Because Zell is the Veep and thus does not matter. Do you think people voted for George Bush I based on Dan Quayle? A vast majority of people vote on the guy at the top. The Veep is just bonus to get some states to lean your way (in a favored son type of way). The Veep doesn't do anything except take orders from the President and will never really hurt the top of a ticket.

Though Graham and Breaux wouldn't be bad either.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 4, 2004, 15:47   #65
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
Quote:
The Veep doesn't do anything except take orders from the President and will never really hurt the top of a ticket.
People exagerate the problems Quayle presented in 1988, and by 1992, it was a referendum on the BUsh years, so it was irrelevant-just why keeping Dick Cheney as the runnin mate won't hurt Bush.

The thing is, you need a VP who can work with the president- I don't think Miller and Kerry have much of a relationship or would be able to. Miller is too different from Kerry to make sense. Its like saying Bush should take on HIllary Clinton as VP to shore up his ticket and win New York.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 4, 2004, 17:25   #66
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I think either Richardson or Graham would swing enough votes to make Kerry the odds-on favorite in November.

Miller? Not gonna happen. Too conservative. Maybe Breaux, but he's not as well known as the other two.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:35   #67
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
I think either Richardson or Graham would swing enough votes to make Kerry the odds-on favorite in November.

Miller? Not gonna happen. Too conservative. Maybe Breaux, but he's not as well known as the other two.
I presume both Breaux and and Richardson are Catholics. Havent had one on a national ticket in quite some time - (Geraldine Ferraro?) Does that still matter?

General thoughts
Wild card - the economy - signs of growth - employment often lags - strong employment growth by 3rd quarter could impact things.

For Policy - a large portion of the swing vote will be very concerned with this. wild cards:if things break well in Iraq - Ayatollah Sistani could influence the US election.
Revolution in Iran. and of course capturing an AQ big wig, OBL or Zawahiri.

Kerry - can he make the case to the center that he has a plan for building democracy in Iraq and the region in general. (I think he should promise to make Lieberman his Sec of State - didnt Bush make that promise wrt to Powell before the 2000 election?)
Old February 4, 2004, 17:37   #68
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
GHW Bush, Nixon, Johnson, Truman, Coolidge....... Not exactly a dead end job.
If we take out those who have taken over when the President dies (Johnson, Teddy Roosevelt, Truman, Andrew Johnson) and after the passage of the amendment which makes the Prez and VP a ticket, three out of how many Presidents is considered usually?

Unless you think they are counting on Kerry to get killed?

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; February 4, 2004 at 17:43.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:41   #69
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Graham would probably carry Florida. He is very popular here.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 4, 2004, 17:44   #70
Guynemer
Emperor

Lieberman as Sec. of State?

Meh. He doesn't exactly fire people up.

But there is one guy people get really excited about--Colin Powell.

Hear me out on this. Powell is what is derisively referring to in many circles as a RINO--Republican in name only. It is one of the worst kept secrets in government that he has been at odds with the rest of the Administration over a number of issues. There has been much speculation of whether he would return for a second term with Bush. However, he might--a very small chance, but a chance all the same--be amenable to serving as Sec. of State under a Democratic admin that would be more likely to share his foreign policy views. Or Sec. of Defense.

I also wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see John McCain offered a high-level cabinet post in a Kerry administration.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:52   #71
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
General thoughts
Wild card - the economy - signs of growth - employment often lags - strong employment growth by 3rd quarter could impact things.
Well, while growht in the third quarter was strong, growth in the fourth quarter, while there, as not nearly as strong. The economy has to grow at unprecedented rates to make up for the job loses.

Quote:
Kerry - can he make the case to the center that he has a plan for building democracy in Iraq and the region in general. (I think he should promise to make Lieberman his Sec of State - didnt Bush make that promise wrt to Powell before the 2000 election?)
Lieberman has no base of support to bring to the table. Powell was beating Bush in the polls back 1999. Liberman ran, and failed.
Old February 4, 2004, 17:57   #72
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
However, he might--a very small chance, but a chance all the same--be amenable to serving as Sec. of State under a Democratic admin that would be more likely to share his foreign policy views.
Not a chance, Guy. Not a chance. If Powell was amenable to serving in a Dem administration, Clinton would have swooped him up (he was trying as well).
Old February 4, 2004, 18:04   #73
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:27
Quote:
Quote:
The other southern candidates are not as strong in terms of secondary support, that Edwards has.
That's because he's the only one running. Here is a partial list of the Southern Democrat Senators retiring this year:

Bob Graham - FLA
John Breaux - LA
Zell Miller - GA
Fritz Hollings - SC

I think Breaux or Miller would be a great pick for Kerry. They are both conservative southern Dems who have experience (especially Miller) and are wildly popular in their home states and in the South. MUCH more so than Edwards.

IF a Big Big IF, Kerry could persuade Miller as VP, Kerry would be a lock. All of a sudden the Bush South lock is broken wide open.

I do however doubt Zell would agree to be VP.

OTOH, if Bush talked Cheney out of a second go 'round and drafted Rudy J. as his VP, he would have a much more solid chance in the North east.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 4, 2004, 18:30   #74
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
OTOH, if Bush talked Cheney out of a second go 'round and drafted Rudy J. as his VP, he would have a much more solid chance in the North east.
Nah, people in NYC still remember rudy before 9/11. His image as a saint is large in upstate NY perhaps, and outside on NYC. Sure, he is still popular int eh tri-satte area due to 9/11, but he could not bring Bush any states. Certainly not NY or NJ.
Old February 4, 2004, 19:31   #75
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Edwards is definitely Kerry's best choice. He's obviously an incredible campaigner (as was emphatically not the case with Lieberman in 2000), connects really well with ordinary people and the backbone of the Democratic Party with his working class background and his focus on poverty. And the NC appeal also carries to vital places like WV and Ohio.

Graham would be an interesting pick as well, insuring the win of Florida.

Breaux is a possibility, but probably wouldn't be enough to carry Louisiana, so might not be worth it (being not a particularly interesting candidate). Miller is similar WRT Georgia, and is an insult to the left by picking the leader of the Democrats for Bush movement, a recipe to depress votes.

Quote:
I think he should promise to make Lieberman his Sec of State
Why do you say that? He's obviously seen as out of step with mainstream Democratic foreign policy; and as the incredible turnout at the primaries have demonstrated, getting your base excited enough to vote is what will win the election.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 4, 2004, 19:57   #76
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Nah, people in NYC still remember rudy before 9/11. His image as a saint is large in upstate NY perhaps, and outside on NYC. Sure, he is still popular int eh tri-satte area due to 9/11, but he could not bring Bush any states. Certainly not NY or NJ.
His appeal would go beyond that. Higher up in New England and in the Great Lakes people still love Rudy as the 'guy who cleaned up New York' and, of course, 'Mayor Hero' (TM).
Old February 4, 2004, 21:19   #77
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by randomturn

Jimmytrick, in general:
With regard to Bush getting 400 electoral college votes, I'll bet you $1,000 right now that doens't happen. Barring the capture of OBL, I'll be amazed if Bush wins at all, given his record on jobs, health care, the defecit, the size and spending of his government, education, the environment, immigration, and his open patronage of corporations and the ultra-wealthy. If there's a blow-out, it's more likely to be against the Reps rather than for them.
If Kerry is the nominee I put $2,000 on Bush to get 370 or more electoral votes. If Ming agrees to hold the money.

The whole $2k to Ming within 10 days of the nomination.

Game?
Old February 4, 2004, 21:42   #78
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
Quote:
Miller has endorsed Bush for president. Makes it kinda unlikely, I think.
That was before the primary. Think of the coup! Miller endorsed Bush, but now realizes Kerry is better. After all, you once had a veep who refered to his President's economic plan as 'voodoo economics'.
Two problems:

1. (the biggie) Miller has to actually "realize" that Kerry is better than Bush.
2. You'll have people who'll say "I'm torn between Miller and Bush, but even Miller said that the the Bush would make a good president, too".
Old February 4, 2004, 21:52   #79
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 02:27
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The bottom line with Miller (and its been Lieberman's problem the whole time) is why vote for Bush Lite when you can have the real thing? If the democrats try to act like republicans in order to gain a southern state they will lose and lose big. This is the lesson of the 2000 election. The only reason more people didn't vote for Nader was the scare tactics and arm twisting of the dems in the final days of the campaign. Rule number one in politics is don't alienate your base.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old February 4, 2004, 21:53   #80
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
If the democrats try to act like republicans in order to gain a southern state they will lose and lose big. This is the lesson of the 2000 election.
The Dems DID NOT LOSE BIG! They almost won. A better campaigner at the top of the ticket, and they would have won it.
Old February 4, 2004, 21:56   #81
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
The Dems DID NOT LOSE BIG! They almost won. A better campaigner at the top of the ticket, and they would have won it.
You could probably say that about any election.
Old February 4, 2004, 22:00   #82
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I meant marginally better... not like Mondale to Clinton better.
Old February 4, 2004, 22:05   #83
Guynemer
Emperor

Why is jimmytrick handing out free money?
Old February 4, 2004, 22:17   #84
Imran Siddiqui
staff

It's jimmytrick... nuff said.
Old February 4, 2004, 22:40   #85
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
Why is jimmytrick handing out free money?
We are compassionate conservatives.

I offer one thousand points of light to brighten your day.
Old February 4, 2004, 22:43   #86
Guynemer
Emperor

If only I had one thousand points of light to wager.
Old February 5, 2004, 00:07   #87
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

If Kerry is the nominee I put $2,000 on Bush to get 370 or more electoral votes. If Ming agrees to hold the money.

The whole $2k to Ming within 10 days of the nomination.

Game?
Your arrogance is so great, I can smell it from my apartment.
Old February 5, 2004, 00:10   #88
Kuciwalker
Deity

I'd take jimmytrick's bet, but I don't have $2000 (not that I'd ever have to pay up...)
Old February 5, 2004, 00:37   #89
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

I seriously doubt we'll see Miller. Too conservative to be asked, to conservative to accept.

Richardson is a fantastic suggestion. Bush is gonna be relying heavily on picking up more hispanic voters, if the Dems get a hispanic (though I never would have guessed it if people didn't keep saying it) as Veep, the Dems will totally undercut Bush. Plus strength in southwest swing states would be huge.

Edwards would be good, but I am not confident at all he'd accept the position. I'm amazed he is 50 though, he looks under 40.

Any other popular governors Kerry could tap? Penn's governor maybe? To hopefully get Ohio and WV?

But then again lets examine Bush's choice for Veep in 2000. No one could have predicted that. Dick Cheney was off everyone's radar, and he was from Wyoming. Wyoming as as much a Republican lock as anything. So geography isn't always the reason for a pick. Bush was worried about charges of inexperience, so picked a long standing veteran to strengthen the ticket.

The best way to find out who the Veep will be is to determine some of Kerry's weaknesses. Being from the northeast is just one, but not the only one.

Northeastern
Washington insider
liberal
Little executive experience
elite
hazy policy record over his Senate term

in fact let me repeat "elite" he is winning the primaries now cause he appears presidential, but up against good ol' boy, charismatic Bush, Kerry is gonna get hammered for being a plastic, east coast elite. He may not be robot Al Gore, but he is damn far from Clinton. Bush is gonna paint him as detached from the people, stuck in Washington too long, out of touch with America, etc. This is gonna be Kerry's big weakness, he is gonna need a Veep to address this.

In light of that... I suppose Edwards really is the best choice. Damn, he is screwed if he can't get Edwards, and in a damn nice spot if he does.

Who else compliments his weaknesses?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old February 5, 2004, 00:48   #90
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I'm amazed he is 50 though, he looks under 40.
Doesn't he though? He looks like he is 39 or something.

Quote:
Penn's governor maybe?
I don't think Rendell will go for it in his first term. He may wish to fix up the state and I think Kerry doesn't want to go for a Northeasterner.

Quote:
Who else compliments his weaknesses?
The problem is Southern governors were swept out in the 2002 elections. Barnes of GA or the old Dem governor in SC would have been great, especially since they were for taking down the Confederate flag, which will be good for the base, even if they are fairly conservative in other aspects. That could have been nice... but not anymore.