Old February 7, 2004, 03:36   #121
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 17:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
The Russians and the Americans have a say in who becomes the President of the Ukraine?
Not directly, of course. But indirectly, by exerting the influence, yes.
Old February 7, 2004, 03:41   #122
The Vagabond
Prince

Well, NYE. To judge from your discussion with Paiktis, your views are not alien to geopolitical idealism. Perhaps,we should address this point first, before going into more particular questions.
Old February 7, 2004, 03:42   #123
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
Quote:

So, the impression is that your influence in the former Soviet republics is being poached? Do I have that right?

By the Americans?

Do the Americans have more influence in any former Republics than Russia does? If they do, why?
Georgia, and Azerbaijan.

I don't know how successful we've been, but I do know that we're actively courting them.

This is why:

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 7, 2004, 03:44   #124
The Mad Monk
Emperor

In this case, it really is "all about the oil".
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 7, 2004, 03:55   #125
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:31
That's funny, because I can relate, being from a minor (relatively) country smack between the super powers.

I guess I can see why Russians would be uneasy with developments. Your power has crumbled and the enemy is at the gates (practically).

What I would say though, is that the US (and the West in general) does not have to be your enemy anymore. Let the former Republics go. They will fumble around, they will seek friends elsewhere. It is only natural for them to do so when they live in the shadow of a nation of such massive potential.

Eventually, your economy will grow. Thus will your power. Canada is a captive of the US not because we like them and dislike Britain, rather we are close to them because we have no choice economically while at the same time we maintain ties with Europe. Similar basic political ideology doesn't hurt either. Close to 200 years of peace is nothing to sneer at.

It's a funny world, and people will do the most unexpected things. I really hope that Russia can wait for those unexpected things to happen. They will, as your economy grows and your neighbours see the fact that they can live better as your friends and forget the past. I hope.

It's not very pleasant if it goes the other way. It would be very unpleasant to be Canadian if we had not buried the hatchet with the Yanks.
Old February 7, 2004, 03:56   #126
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
In this case, it really is "all about the oil".
To a large extent. Russia should destroy this damned pipeline project by hook or by crook.

Unfortunately, we are losing here big time.
Old February 7, 2004, 03:58   #127
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond
Well, NYE. To judge from your discussion with Paiktis, your views are not alien to geopolitical idealism. Perhaps,we should address this point first, before going into more particular questions.
What woud you like to address about it?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:04   #128
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
I guess I can see why Russians would be uneasy with developments. Your power has crumbled and the enemy is at the gates (practically).
Quote:
What I would say though, is that the US (and the West in general) does not have to be your enemy anymore.
True, but the big game is still going on!

Quote:
Let the former Republics go.
They were let go. But this doesn't mean that Russia is not interested in whether these republics have a puppet government hostile to Russia or not.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:05   #129
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
What woud you like to address about it?
Do you recognize that a big geopolitical game is still going on?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:08   #130
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I think the question is, why would a government friendly to us necessarily be hostile to you?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:09   #131
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, but are you certain you know what game is actually being played?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:13   #132
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
They were let go. But this doesn't mean that Russia is not interested in whether these republics have a puppet government hostile to Russia or not.
Why do you call them puppets?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:18   #133
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
I think the question is, why would a government friendly to us necessarily be hostile to you?
This tends to be so. Why? I don't know. Perhaps, it's because the former Soviet republics are not big enough for the two of us.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:20   #134
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Did I say anywhere that such games no longer happen? Recent events should put the lie the that, and those events have been between the good old club of liberal democracies.

Quote:
not alien to geopolitical idealism
And the 'all republics are out to get us' is...?

I'm sorry, but the need to defend trade rights with Latvia through a nuclear arsenal seems a little bit thin to me.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:20   #135
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Yes, but are you certain you know what game is actually being played?
Not quite. But I am certain that an important game is being played.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:22   #136
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

This tends to be so. Why? I don't know. Perhaps, it's because the former Soviet republics are not big enough for the two of us.
Or maybe they want very little to do with Russia til Russia learns how to behave when you don't get your way on every point?

I mean, come on, these are the victims of the Russian empire that are being discussed. Can you not see their POV?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:25   #137
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Why do you call them puppets?
OK, that was a bit of exaggeration. Of the former Soviet republics, only Georgia can be said to have a puppet government right now.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:32   #138
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 00:31
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
I mean, come on, these are the victims of the Russian empire that are being discussed. Can you not see their POV?
Victims, my as$.
Then why now, when they are "free" and no longer belong to this evil empire of Russians, absolute majority of them live much, much worse than when they were "slaves"?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:36   #139
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
That's how it always happens. You should better ask your administration about that.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:37   #140
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:

Or maybe they want very little to do with Russia til Russia learns how to behave when you don't get your way on every point?
How do you want Russia to behave?? Russia behaved exceptionally well, by your standards, in the first half of 1990s. It's simply that, little by little, a sense of reality has been coming back to Russia.

Quote:
Of the former Soviet republics, only the Baltics can truely be regarded as victims of the Russian empire.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:41   #141
Serb
Emperor

Vagabond, "whiners" is the proper word here, not "victims".

Last edited by Serb; February 7, 2004 at 05:06.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:42   #142
notyoueither
Deity

Sorry, Vagabond, the trolls demand attention.

Serb, do most Russians live better now? Or does maybe it take time for things to work their course. I'm sure that standards of living went up markedly in 1921 over 1919, or NOT.

Still, you think that Ukrainians should thank Russia for the famine? Why don't you ask Savas what he thinks about the Russian empire. How about the average Pole?

I'm sure the many victims of the gulags, many of whom were NOT Russian, will thank you profusely for the past 80 years, or NOT.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:42   #143
Serb
Emperor

Just in case if Saras will show up. Hi, buddy.
Attached Images:
File Type: gif ussr_flag.gif (30.3 KB, 25 views)
Old February 7, 2004, 04:43   #144
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Of the former Soviet republics, only the Baltics can truely be regarded as victims of the Russian empire.
Countless millions of dead Ukrainians were not victims?
Old February 7, 2004, 04:46   #145
notyoueither
Deity

I seem to recall entire ethnic group or groups uprooted from the Crimea and transported to the East. 'To the East'. Good euphamism for death by labour in camps.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:52   #146
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
Vagabond, "whiners" is the propers word here, not "victims".
No, Serb. We should concede that the Baltics are the victims.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:53   #147
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Serb, do most Russians live better now?
Of course not. As well as absolute majority of peoples of former Soviet Union.
Quote:
Or does maybe it take time for things to work their course. I'm sure that standards of living went up markedly in 1921 over 1919, or NOT.
I think you don't the understand the problem, NYE. For most of the people of former SU, today life standards droped to level of 1919.
Quote:
Still, you think that Ukrainians should thank Russia for the famine?
They should thank themselves and weather. I can explain why, if you really wish (actually I doubt you wish. You already made up your mind about this issue.

Quote:
Why don't you ask Savas what he thinks about the Russian empire.
Savas? Who are this people?
Quote:
How about the average Pole?
I trust them less than Yanks. They born with hatred toward Russia in their veins. Still crying they didn't destroy us when they could.
Quote:
I'm sure the many victims of the gulags, many of whom were NOT Russian, will thank you profusely for the past 80 years, or NOT.
I'm sure many former citizens of SU, many of whom are NOT Russian consider their life in SU better than their current life.
Old February 7, 2004, 04:56   #148
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
No, Serb. We should concede that the Baltics are the victims.
The Baltics were the only victims?
Old February 7, 2004, 05:02   #149
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Russians believe everybody hates them, and are doubtful (to say the least) when told otherwise.

Americans believe everybody loves them, and are shocked (to say the least) when told otherwise.

The constrast is fascinating.
Old February 7, 2004, 05:04   #150
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:

Countless millions of dead Ukrainians were not victims?
That was a horrible event among other horrible events. But the terror of the regime was applied uniformly to the whole Soviet Union. They didn't die just because they were Ukranians. It was because circumstances turned like that while governed by a cruel regime. It could have well been ethnic Russians in their place.