Old February 5, 2004, 15:55   #62
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Calling Kansas a modestly-sized state is like saying a grain of salt is somewhat small.
That's nice, but he was talking about Nevada, you airhead.
Old February 5, 2004, 15:58   #63
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 12:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Docfeelgood
I didnot vote for that son-of-a-Bush
Yes, you did. Stop lieing.
Old February 5, 2004, 15:59   #64
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Local Time: 17:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
"There are polls out now that have Kerry ahead."

Yes, and polls at this time in Clinton and Reagan's first term that showed them fare behind and with far less in the way of approval ratings.

Kerry has his own weaknesses. He has an extremely liberal voting record, even on security issues, and he has taken a number of unpopular positions that won't be popular in the general election.

But more importantly, voters are prospective moreso then retrospective. Voters aren't go to base their selection on what the candidates were doing 30 years ago.

Remember, Bush defeated McCain, a Vietnam POW, even though at one time he was far behind him in the polls. And that was among the strongly pro-defense Republican primary electorate.
Bush patort act doesnot improve america security at all it just tick off alot of people who want to be free to say what they want and do what they want. The Department of Home Land Security is than joke. The coast guard doesnot have than enought partol ships to all it is ask to do. First the Department of Homeland Security need more money to pay their increase staff they will needed and to buy the necessary everyday equipment they will need.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:00   #65
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff

First to many american Bush commitee perjury with then about the WMD in Iraq.
While I hope you are right, ironically I suspect that he will get a pass on this one for the same reason Reagan did with Iran-Contra: neither of them are the brightest bulbs in chandalier and as such, they depended heavily on advisors. All Bush needs to do is to finger an Oliver North and he'll probably skate free.

That being said, the war in Iraq is much worse than Iran-Contra. Going to war should always always always be a last resort for any nation. It was simply poor judgement on his part to invade with such shaky "evidence". You told us to trust you, George. We did. You let us down. Now you must pay the price.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:01   #66
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, you did. Stop lieing.

Old February 5, 2004, 16:02   #67
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

That's nice, but he was talking about Nevada, you airhead.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:10   #68
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
The number of people who think Bush should be re-elected are lower than the number of people who think he should not be re-elected.

There are polls out now that have Kerry ahead.

While a poll at this point is poor evidence at best, it is still some evidence that Bush is not particualrly popualr with anyhone outside his given base (where he is widely popular)

So the one not showing anything is you.
Two week ago some poller call me up and ask me about the president race and who I would vote for they didnot like the fact that I wouldnot vote for Bush that they hung up on me. Which show me that two week ago the Poller where trying to make the poll come out showing that Bush will win they where afaid of telling him that he might lose. Plus the only ask between 1000 and 2000 people nationwide too few to give than accurate reading, if they ask 23,000,000 people then if might have some meaning.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:13   #69
mindseye
King

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
I also find it amusing that many voters are deluded to think that someone who bankrupted 2 or 3 companies in his only chief executive experience is qualified enough to be Commander in Chief.
I remember thinking of that while he was being touted as America's first MBA president!
Old February 5, 2004, 16:19   #70
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
Plus the only ask between 1000 and 2000 people nationwide too few to give than accurate reading, if they ask 23,000,000 people then if might have some meaning.
take a stats course.
Old February 5, 2004, 17:20   #71
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 13:31
Quote:
Your point about the leftist leaning in general of this forum is well taken, but more to the original intent of this thread conservatives are ticked as well.
Exactly. I'm a former president of a College Republican group and have been a died-in-wool Republican all my life. I'm sick of this 'compassionate conservative' spending crap. Kerry may not trim down the social spending that much, but as long as he's got a Republican Congress, he won't be able to cut taxes too far from their pre-Bush II days.

That's my dream ticket. Kerry and Republicans in Congress.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 5, 2004, 17:28   #72
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Your point about the leftist leaning in general of this forum is well taken, but more to the original intent of this thread conservatives are ticked as well.
Exactly. I'm a former president of a College Republican group and have been a died-in-wool Republican all my life. I'm sick of this 'compassionate conservative' spending crap. Kerry may not trim down the social spending that much, but as long as he's got a Republican Congress, he won't be able to cut taxes too far from their pre-Bush II days.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 5, 2004, 17:35   #73
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:

Better dream ticket is Kerry and X where X is a solid moderate Dem like Rendell or Miller. Kerry gets impeached (wouldn't wish death on him) and removed.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 5, 2004, 17:59   #74
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

This is a good place to thread jack. I have a question. It was widely reported as fact that Hussein openly supported Palestinian terror by paying bounties to the families of suicide bombers.

This alone, insofar I am a concerned, is more than sufficient reason for the regime change. I never got the issue of WMD. Heck, in his speach after 9/11 made it clear that any nation supporting terror would be a target and I think it a perfectly logical, almost essential policy.

Is there a hole in my thinking?
Old February 5, 2004, 18:01   #75
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

nooooooooo
Old February 5, 2004, 18:02   #76
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

Is there a hole in my thinking?
You really shouldn't ask a question if you do not want an honest answer to it.
Old February 5, 2004, 18:04   #77
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
died-in-wool Republican all my life.
While I have no objections to dead Republicans, I believe you meant "dyed."
Old February 5, 2004, 18:05   #78
MrFun
Emperor

Imran must be an airhead!!!!!!!!!
Old February 5, 2004, 18:07   #79
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Well, he did once argue that 2+2 could be made to equal 5, so take that as you will.
Old February 5, 2004, 18:14   #80
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Regarding the importance of a military record:

In the 2000 primaries McCain was 'supposed' to have won, right?

Now I don't know if he exactly had some policy aims that could have turned off any Republican if he or she thought objectively about it. A military man with a strong anti-corruption aganda. (anti-corruption was parhaps his fall?)

Nevertheless my question is this. If Karl Rove had not conducted his push poll campaign were Republicans were asked if they would vote for a man, McCain, who had an 'illegitmate black child', would Bush then have lost?

As it were McCain had actually adopted a child from Bangladesh. So neither black nor illegitimate. As if it would matter.

Naturally the calls made it evident that Republicans would rather not prefer a man who had an 'illegitimate black child', so Bush got the ticket.

Now if Kerry who has a military record, but is apparenty in cahoots with the Chinese (this rabbit was also pulled against Gore, remember - those dirty Chinese!), but he does not have an illegitimate black child, would this mean that Bush is in trouble?

Of course Kerry will now have to 'disprove' that he is not on the Chinese payroll. This will probably be as difficult as Saddam 'disproving' his possesion of non-existent WMDs.
Old February 5, 2004, 18:18   #81
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Well, he did once argue that 2+2 could be made to equal 5, so take that as you will.
As did many others in a thread I asked you to look at, but you never did . In fact I believe at least 3 or 4 people there said that based on the mathematical system 2+2 did not have to equal 4. I believe GePap may have been there.

Quote:
That's what they tried with Bush and the underestimation worked for him .
Old February 5, 2004, 18:23   #82
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
As did many others in a thread I asked you to look at, but you never did . In fact I believe at least 3 or 4 people there said that based on the mathematical system 2+2 did not have to equal 4. I believe GePap may have been there.

Quote:
That's what they tried with Bush and the underestimation worked for him .
This 2 + 2 = 5 bullsh*t? Was this from a philosophical thread or something?
Old February 5, 2004, 18:29   #83
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
This is a good place to thread jack. I have a question. It was widely reported as fact that Hussein openly supported Palestinian terror by paying bounties to the families of suicide bombers.
There is a bit of distortion here. It was 'widely reported' by the....BBC.

However the story was that in the case of a suicide attack, subsequently the Israeli Military would bulldoze the home of the family. Collective punishment.

Then Saddam Hussein (or some underling working in the foreign dept, fourth floor), would send a check to the family sounding 25.000.

These payments were however insignificant compared to the war reparations this selfsame underling had to pay to israeli cinema owners who during the first gulf War had suffered incurable losses due to the Scud Attacks, and the general interest in the war which kept people at home glued to their televison screens.
Old February 5, 2004, 19:14   #84
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Washington DC runs on integrity. If you don't have it, you won't last long. I bet you guys have much less knowledge about this than you believe.
As H.L. Mencken put it, elections are advance auctions on stolen property. And that was ~50 years ago.

Quote:
I call BS. If you were ever really planning on voting for a party other than Libertarian, I'd be shocked and awed.
But I don't even know if the LP will be around, as I said, voting for Bush would be an illusion at best.
Old February 5, 2004, 19:24   #85
Ned
King

Local Time: 09:31
Agathon, in your post you said that much of the world hated Bush but you did not say exactly why. Iraq is not the only reason is it?

Btw, the democrats in this country really hate Bush as well. The hate is visceral. That is why Dean got an initial bump. He tapped into the hate with his rage.
Old February 5, 2004, 19:30   #86
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know about any other thread discussing it, but the bottom line in the initial thread was that your reasoning involved changing the definitions of the terms, which of course is a patently ludicrous way to argue.
Old February 5, 2004, 19:31   #87
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ned -
Quote:
Berz, I don't fully understand your antipathy to Bush. You cite his spending, but because of it you are willing to vote for a party that wants to spend more?
If it was just between Kerry and Bush, I might vote for Kerry. Hopefully I'll have a libertarian to vote for. But I don't see any proof the Dems could outspend the GOP and Bush. Their spending makes the Clinton years, including when he had a Democrat Congress, look like a time of fiscal sanity.

Quote:
Bush is a phenomenon. He is showing the Republican party a new ideology in "compassionate" conservatism. I frankly like it. The social safety net is important. We should expand it and support it to the extent we can afford it. At the same time, we need to be true to our beliefs that competition is necessary to keep quality up and prices low. Thus Republicans will introduce new programs with competition built in. Democrats will not. The difference is important.
Translation: The GOP strategy is to take away as many key Democrat issues as possible. Result, we get the usual Democrat spending in addition to the usual Republican spending.
Instead of a ~5% increase in government spending we get a ~10% increase. All those years the Repubs were whining about the Dems spending too much was just BS, they were really whining about not having more control over where our money ended up.
Old February 5, 2004, 19:32   #88
Sinapus
Warlord

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
If I were an American of any political leaning other than a fundamentalist warmonger I would elect anyone but Bush.
Or... you'll get called a "fundamentalist warmonger" and other rude names?

Glad to see you have such an open mind about differences in opinion.
Old February 5, 2004, 19:47   #89
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc

There is a bit of distortion here. It was 'widely reported' by the....BBC.

However the story was that in the case of a suicide attack, subsequently the Israeli Military would bulldoze the home of the family. Collective punishment.

Then Saddam Hussein (or some underling working in the foreign dept, fourth floor), would send a check to the family sounding 25.000.

These payments were however insignificant compared to the war reparations this selfsame underling had to pay to israeli cinema owners who during the first gulf War had suffered incurable losses due to the Scud Attacks, and the general interest in the war which kept people at home glued to their televison screens.
I would say that direct financial support to terrorists is fairly significant. Clear justification for the invasion.

And war reparations. Yeah, those are clearly justified.
Old February 5, 2004, 19:50   #90
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc
Naturally the calls made it evident that Republicans would rather not prefer a man who had an 'illegitimate black child',
This is the state that elected Strom Thurmond for fifty years, right?

Just checking.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...