Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
It's not an attitude -- it's reality.

There are no Democrats today, nor Republicans today, that are not corrupt in one way or another -- from something minor, to something significant.
Let me help you out here. The system is corrupt. All Americans have a vote but we do not all have a voice. When folks go into Washington as elected representatvies of the people they run into a stone wall built by over hundreds of years by lobbyists.

These lobbyists serve monied interests, the wealthy individuals and corporations. They do not care about the needs of the average american.

The middle class and working poor have the vote but they have no voice. They can't afford to flood congress with lobbyists. They depend on their elected officials to speak for them.

But the elected officials can't. Whenever an issue comes up the very information they get to review is prepared by or heavily influenced by lobbyists. Oh, out of deference to partisianship you will have your progressive version of the facts and the conservative version but their is no objective positions even tabled for consideration. If a Congressman takes a position outside of these norms then they irelevant to the process.

National lobbies welcome new Congressmen into the fold with the equivalent of guaranteed reelections for years, if they play the game, and little chance for a second term if they do not. It's called campaign money.

So, the Congress forgets that they are supposed to be the voice of the people and become pawns in the game of competing special interests.

This is why so many people do not vote.

And this is why many people who do gravitate to outsider candidates. Only with them is any real change possible.

And this is why electability is such a big issue. We all know that we can vote for Ross or Ralph for the next two hundred years and we all know that they can never win.

Insiders are having a harder and harder time wining the White House because people want real change. Carter, Reagan, Clinton, and Bush ran from the outside. Dean got early interest as an outsider this year but fizzled. That leaves only Edwards with a real chance to catch the public's imagination. Otherwise Bush wins by default. No insider longterm Senator from the northeast is going to win.

Even if he did, or if Edwards wins, it is hard to see how much change we can get. The best chance for change would be Edwards in '08, riding the crest of a grass roots populist effort.
Old February 5, 2004, 12:51   #32
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:32
I'm sorry, I thought this was old news.
Old February 5, 2004, 12:57   #33
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

And I will say something else. When Kerry says that the lobbyists are going to be out when he gets to Washington, that statement is false on its face. He says, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out".

The government can't function without lobbyists. It would not know where the freaking bathroom is without a lobbyist to point it out.

It is no more than campaign rhetoric.
Old February 5, 2004, 12:57   #34
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:32
Good Post JT

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 5, 2004, 13:07   #35
Japher
Emperor

Whose this Kerry guy anyway?

Oh, and MrFun I'm a republican whose not corrupt... at least not much
Old February 5, 2004, 13:10   #36
Patroklos
Emperor

If your premise is that all politicians are corrupt, or that every time Bush is "proved" to be republicans gloss over it, then how can you come here and say it doesn't matter that Kerry is?

Its pathetically partisain, your line changes from thread to thread.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:13   #37
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

If you reanimated Al Capone, made him a Democrat, and told people he could beat Dubya I'm willing to bet a lot of people in this thread would vote for him.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 5, 2004, 13:14   #38
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick

Let me help you out here. The system is corrupt. All Americans have a vote but we do not all have a voice. When folks go into Washington as elected representatvies of the people they run into a stone wall built by over hundreds of years by lobbyists.

These lobbyists serve monied interests, the wealthy individuals and corporations. They do not care about the needs of the average american.

The middle class and working poor have the vote but they have no voice. They can't afford to flood congress with lobbyists. They depend on their elected officials to speak for them.

But the elected officials can't. Whenever an issue comes up the very information they get to review is prepared by or heavily influenced by lobbyists. Oh, out of deference to partisianship you will have your progressive version of the facts and the conservative version but their is no objective positions even tabled for consideration. If a Congressman takes a position outside of these norms then they irelevant to the process.

National lobbies welcome new Congressmen into the fold with the equivalent of guaranteed reelections for years, if they play the game, and little chance for a second term if they do not. It's called campaign money.

So, the Congress forgets that they are supposed to be the voice of the people and become pawns in the game of competing special interests.

This is why so many people do not vote.

And this is why many people who do gravitate to outsider candidates. Only with them is any real change possible.

And this is why electability is such a big issue. We all know that we can vote for Ross or Ralph for the next two hundred years and we all know that they can never win.

Insiders are having a harder and harder time wining the White House because people want real change. Carter, Reagan, Clinton, and Bush ran from the outside. Dean got early interest as an outsider this year but fizzled. That leaves only Edwards with a real chance to catch the public's imagination. Otherwise Bush wins by default. No insider longterm Senator from the northeast is going to win.

Even if he did, or if Edwards wins, it is hard to see how much change we can get. The best chance for change would be Edwards in '08, riding the crest of a grass roots populist effort.
Good post -- thanks for agreeing with me on why all politicians are corrupt - because the corrupt system has poisoned them.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:16   #39
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
If your premise is that all politicians are corrupt, or that every time Bush is "proved" to be republicans gloss over it, then how can you come here and say it doesn't matter that Kerry is?

Note that included Democrats and Republicans in my statement of corrupt politicians.

Also, I do find myself angry with the Bush administration's shady dealings. But I also know that because there is no uncorrupt politician for me to vote for, I have no choice but to try to pick the cleanest mudball.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:16   #40
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Whose this Kerry guy anyway?

Oh, and MrFun I'm a republican whose not corrupt... at least not much
I'm not talking about Republican and Democratic voters. I'm talking about Republican and Democratic politicians.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:19   #41
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 09:32
This does sound like a pretty desperate stretch. As Drogue implied, if there was any problem here, wouldn't it be a Clinton problem and not a Kerry problem?
Old February 5, 2004, 13:21   #42
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:32
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
If you reanimated Al Capone, made him a Democrat, and told people he could beat Dubya I'm willing to bet a lot of people in this thread would vote for him.
And yet no one here has yet answered why Kerry did not even come up back when this was "hot news" and republicans were out there calling Clinton a traitor...

I bet if we ressurected Atilla the Hun, said he was pro-life and that he could keep the WH in republican hands, plenty of people here would vote for him as well-which proves sh1t.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 5, 2004, 13:22   #43
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I'm talking about Republican and Democratic politicians
Well, yeah, all politicians are corrupt. Yet, only because who ever they run against pulls out their dirty laundry and airs it to the world... Then, if there is no dirty laundry you just make it up, like Gov. Arhnold molesting women.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:23   #44
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Well, not to quibble but the Democratic party did traffic with Stalin and allow Mao to come to power in China, a mess the Republican party is still dealing with.
#1, would you rather be speaking German? Let's see, dealing with Stalin or letting the Nazis conquer the world, hmmm, tough choice there.

#2, if Imperial Japan, the Nationalist Chinese, and the backstabbing of Stalin couldn't stop Mao, what chance do you think the Americans had? In any event, it isn't as if Truman didn't try and stop the Reds. They did, they just failed. The U.S. isn't all-powerful you know.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 5, 2004, 13:23   #45
MrFun
Emperor

Actually Japher, a couple of weeks ago -- IIRC -- CNN reported that Arnold was accused of illegally borrowing money. Or something along that line.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:26   #46
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
...well-which proves sh1t.
I was just having a good natured go at the statement, "I would vote for Al Sharpton before Bush."
Old February 5, 2004, 13:27   #47
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Once the nominating conventions are over, I'm sure that will start again.
It's the lead story on Salon today.

Bush's Missing Year.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 5, 2004, 13:28   #48
Japher
Emperor

Campaign stuff, or something... still, compared to Davis, Arnie is awesome

I just like having a repub back in office... I miss Pete Wilson
Old February 5, 2004, 13:28   #49
MrFun
Emperor

You're a sick man, Japher -- but I still love ya.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:32   #50
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
OUCH!!! And I just posted a positive thread about Kerry... There's no point in trying to extol the virtues of any of these people, it'll just come back to bite you on the a$$.
berz buddy i saw it ....don't feel bad...... i don't know who or what im going to vote .... so much mud flying around and its going to get more dirty... get out the tarps don't you think politics is a bit like being at a Gallagher show
Old February 5, 2004, 13:39   #51
chequita guevara
Emperor

Anyone who believes a Newsmax story needs to be hospitalized for stupidity so severe they are a danger to themselves and others.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:39   #52
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

at Boann's Gallagher

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 5, 2004, 13:39   #53
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

Oh, and one more thing -- for the record -- I lost all respect for Billie Clinton during his second term in office for several dumb things he did.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:42   #54
chequita guevara
Emperor

Took ya that long?
Old February 5, 2004, 13:43   #55
MrFun
Emperor

whatever, Che
Old February 5, 2004, 13:43   #56
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I was just having a good natured go at the statement, "I would vote for Al Sharpton before Bush."
I ould vote for Bush over a re-animated Cappone solely becuase I am a bigot vs. the undead.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 5, 2004, 13:46   #57
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
at Boann's Gallagher

im so glad someone got that
Old February 5, 2004, 13:48   #58
Patroklos
Emperor

MrFun,

You are a rare exception as you do seem to apply the same standards to all sides. I will admit that I am biased in that I would rather see Kerrey slandered than Bush, but if Bush had accepted money from China I would be all over that too.

And there is a big difference between bieng wrong and corrupt.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:52   #59
MrFun
Emperor

That's the whole problem with spins that we get from politicians who pull explanations out from the seventh dimension Pat -- makes it difficult to determine if Bush has been an idiot, or is lying.
Old February 5, 2004, 13:53   #60
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
MrFun,

You are a rare exception . . .
Now you've done. His head is gonna be swelled for days. Thanks.