Old February 9, 2004, 06:04   #121
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
"Hi, guys, we're Metallica. You may remember us from such songs as 'Master of Puppets,' 'One,' 'For Whom the Bell Tolls,' and 'Turn the Page,' just to name a few. I know we've been one of the best and longest-standing metal bands, but with this album, we really thought it was time to appeal to the nu-metal crowd, and thus experimenting with a style that does not fit us in the least. We really should have the crap beaten out of us for making such a bad album."
I think you're too harsh. I didn't love the album, but they deserve points for audacity.
Old February 9, 2004, 06:20   #122
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:38
Actually, I think some of St Anger works live. Musically it's pretty crap, but Frantic get's crouds, even ones who don't like St Anger, going. Wouldn't listen to the album though.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 9, 2004, 06:35   #123
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
I have "My Immortal" as the ringtone on my cellphone.
Old February 9, 2004, 06:39   #124
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
I have "My Immortal" as the ringtone on my cellphone.

There is no helping some people...

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 9, 2004, 06:46   #125
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 13:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Actually, I think some of St Anger works live. Musically it's pretty crap, but Frantic get's crouds, even ones who don't like St Anger, going. Wouldn't listen to the album though.
i have to agree with you. "unnammed feeling" isn't too terrible either. there's evidence of actual songwriting somewhere in there.
Old February 9, 2004, 12:33   #126
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 09:38
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Let's see... bands named in this thread so far:

Evanescence - suck
Lacuna Coil - suck (mostly due to that guy in the band that thinks he's a happy vampire)
Linkin Park - not quite suck but close (they basically wrote one song and made it 30)
Creed - suck
POD - suck
Metallica - suck (but didn't used to, pre Black album they rocked), also IIRC St. Anger is more Bob Rock's fault then Metallica's.

This hasn't been too good of a thread so far. And has anyone else noticed that when someone insults Asher he starts talking about his penis?

[rant]Why doesn't anyone hear ever discuss good music? It can be popular and still be good. I'm amazed at how many people like The Mars Volta, though At the Drive-In was better. How come I am the only freakin' Mike Patton fan on the entire site? How can so many people like Linkin Park?[/rant]
Old February 9, 2004, 12:56   #127
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Opeth
Old February 9, 2004, 14:29   #128
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:38
Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

Evanescence - suck
Lacuna Coil - suck (mostly due to that guy in the band that thinks he's a happy vampire)
Linkin Park - not quite suck but close (they basically wrote one song and made it 30)
Creed - suck
POD - suck
Metallica - suck (but didn't used to, pre Black album they rocked), also IIRC St. Anger is more Bob Rock's fault then Metallica's.

This hasn't been too good of a thread so far. And has anyone else noticed that when someone insults Asher he starts talking about his penis?
You missed
Five Iron Frenzy - awesome
Relient K - good

Old February 9, 2004, 14:30   #129
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
Opeth
2nd best band EVER That's more like it.
Old February 9, 2004, 14:32   #130
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
You missed
Five Iron Frenzy - awesome
Relient K - good
Oops. Actually I haven't heard enough of either of these bands to make a judgement yet.
Old February 9, 2004, 16:14   #131
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by curtsibling
I know what you mean, Namaste.

I stuck with Megadeth through the 'Risk' era.
Good to see Dave Mustaine may be making a comeback from his injury.
really? I thought the were done for good.

I didn't like risk. But I liked cryptic writings alot.
Old February 9, 2004, 16:17   #132
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Potassium
St Anger is the worst cd I've ever heard.

"Hi, guys, we're Metallica. You may remember us from such songs as 'Master of Puppets,' 'One,' 'For Whom the Bell Tolls,' and 'Turn the Page,' just to name a few. I know we've been one of the best and longest-standing metal bands, but with this album, we really thought it was time to appeal to the nu-metal crowd, and thus experimenting with a style that does not fit us in the least. We really should have the crap beaten out of us for making such a bad album."
I don't think it sounds like nu-metal at all. The only thing they really sold out on was the lack of guitar solos. As that is the trend now days. But how can you say it is nu metal? It sounds like their old ****- just crappier sound quality .
Old February 9, 2004, 16:19   #133
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

Evanescence - suck
Creed - suck
POD - suck

[rant]Why doesn't anyone hear ever discuss good music? It can be popular and still be good. I'm amazed at how many people like The Mars Volta, though At the Drive-In was better. How come I am the only freakin' Mike Patton fan on the entire site? How can so many people like Linkin Park?[/rant]
yeah Mike Patton rules!!

but seriously, what's he doing lately?
Old February 9, 2004, 16:52   #134
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
yeah Mike Patton rules!!

but seriously, what's he doing lately?
He's been hanging out with Tomahawk too much. That band is ok, but it's beneath him. Even the Mr. Bungle guys have publicly said they think Tomahawk is beneath him . He did release a new Fantomas album pretty recently I think, but I don't have it yet. IIRC he described it as 60 minutes of surgical ambience. I think it's all one track .

Quote:
I didn't like risk. But I liked cryptic writings alot.
Yeah, risk was mediocre. Cryptic Writings was good. Their last one though, World Needs a Hero, is as good as any album they've ever released. I love it.

The word is here that Dave is supposed to be coming out with some solo stuff pretty soon.
Old February 9, 2004, 18:24   #135
Namaste
Settler

Local Time: 12:38
mmm...Opeth...

Got their complete discography

Bands to be listed in the "kick ass" category also include Dark Tranquillity, Ulver, Agalloch, Katatonia, Amorphis, Kreator, Edge of Sanity, Devin Townsend, At the Gates, Nevermore, Symphony X, Skyclad (preferably with Martin Walkyier), Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Death, Samael...

If I haven't succeeded in making myself sound like a complete music snob by now, this will do it. I own every Maudlin of the Well album, and albums by Anglagard and Viikate.

[/blatant showing off]

Lacuna Coil aren't the greatest band in the world, true, but their debut EP was pretty excellent. Their two albums after that were a little dissappointing but Comalies is a damn good album. Saw them live last year too and I thought they were enjoyable. A lot of people hate the male vocals, but I think they fit the music.

If this post had a point, it's gone now.
Old February 9, 2004, 18:29   #136
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Namaste
mmm...Opeth...

Got their complete discography

Bands to be listed in the "kick ass" category also include Dark Tranquillity, Ulver, Agalloch, Katatonia, Amorphis, Kreator, Edge of Sanity, Devin Townsend, At the Gates, Nevermore, Symphony X, Skyclad (preferably with Martin Walkyier), Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Death, Samael...

If I haven't succeeded in making myself sound like a complete music snob by now, this will do it. I own every Maudlin of the Well album, and albums by Anglagard and Viikate.

[/blatant showing off]

Lacuna Coil aren't the greatest band in the world, true, but their debut EP was pretty excellent. Their two albums after that were a little dissappointing but Comalies is a damn good album. Saw them live last year too and I thought they were enjoyable. A lot of people hate the male vocals, but I think they fit the music.

If this post had a point, it's gone now.
I must be out of touch with current music now days.

The only one's I have heard of are Kreator and Lacuna Coil (which I wasn't overly impressed by)
Old February 9, 2004, 18:33   #137
Namaste
Settler

Either that or my spending of over $1000 per year on music is maybe a bit excessive. Probably the latter.

I've only bothered to buy one Lacuna Coil album (Comalies), but I'll still support them. They impressed me live and most of everyone else in the room seemed to agree.
Old February 9, 2004, 18:35   #138
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Most of the bands on your list are great, especially Edge of Sanity and Skyclad
Old February 9, 2004, 18:59   #139
The Mad Viking
King

What happens to people that make them listen to 100 different deathmetal bands?

Nothing wrong with the genre, but you know, it reminds me of the guy who ate only Kraft Dinner, breakfast, lunch and supper, 365 days a year.

A little disfunctional...

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old February 9, 2004, 19:05   #140
Namaste
Settler

Death metal isn't my preferred style although I like a few bands (I'm much more into doom, thrash, progressive and increasingly more avant-garde stuff these days). It's not really the vocals that you're supposed to pay attention to. The riffing and drumming are what's important in that genre and a lot of that rhythm playing is pretty damn amazing.

Tons of fun live to.
Old February 10, 2004, 12:02   #141
The Mad Viking
King

Grindcore and Screamo.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old February 16, 2004, 04:15   #142
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I just can't see not liking Metallica's new album solely based on them selling out. Because Metallica sold out years ago. I can't see liking the black album, but not liking this one. The black album is a serious sellout, and imho one of their worst albums. Some people claim they sold out in 1984 when the put out a ballad song on an album. I don't agree with that. But you could see a radical change in 1991.

Now if you don't like the new album because it sounds like crap, well that's okay .
Old February 16, 2004, 04:18   #143
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

anybody listen to the Metal channel on Cox digital cable? I've always enjoyed that one. I used to think I listened to a lot of metal, but they play so much metal I have never heard of. Although a lot of it is crap .

They were just playing Morbid Angel. I have heard of them, MTV actually played them (on headbangers ball of course). Although I normally don't like that kind of gutteral screaming/singing. It gets kind of annoying. But musically- I like morbid angel.

Right now they are playing someone called Byzantine. The singer is crap- as is most singers of this type of metal band. I have never heard of them, but they do kind of rock. 2004 it says. I'm impressed how well death metal has hung around. It has outlived pretty much all metal styles.
Old February 16, 2004, 12:19   #144
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 18:38
Just like to point out that the only reason I've heard of Matchbox 20 is through Asher, had no idea they'd sold 23 million records but they are still totally crap regardless.

We've got both kinds
Old February 16, 2004, 12:46   #145
Namaste
Settler

Quote:
It has outlived pretty much all metal styles.
That's not really true at all. Old school Floridian Death metal and grindcore is still popular in the US but it's been losing ground in relation to more Gothenburg and thrash oriented stuff recently, and in Europe its power metal that is huge and Gothenburg metal is also ridiculously popular there. There are also plenty of active and innovative doom metal bands floating around. My Dying Bride just released a new album today! Whoohoo!
Old February 16, 2004, 14:59   #146
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
Just like to point out that the only reason I've heard of Matchbox 20 is through Asher, had no idea they'd sold 23 million records but they are still totally crap regardless.

I'll never forget how badly I wanted to punch this guy I saw singing 3 AM badly with all his heart at some bar during the karaoke hour. As if I didn't already hate that band enough.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident anybody listen to the Metal channel on Cox digital cable? I've always enjoyed that one. I used to think I listened to a lot of metal, but they play so much metal I have never heard of. Although a lot of it is crap .
I'll flip to it occasionally. I've heard some good stuff on there, and some bad. They do play King Diamond a decent amount I've noticed and that's good.