Local Date: November 3, 2010
Street Fighter 2
Old February 10, 2004, 01:28   #33
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No One Lives Forever 2... and yes it isn't a poll, NOLF 2 is BY FAR the best .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 10, 2004, 02:25   #34
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:40
Morrowind!

Oh, wait, sorry i
Old February 10, 2004, 02:52   #35
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 10:40
I think it's a toss-up betwixt Thief: The Metal Age and System Shock 2 for this category.

RIP, Looking Glass. Ion Storm can't hold a candle to you.
Old February 10, 2004, 06:38   #36
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 18:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
You obviously never gassed your enemies and then threw darts at their heads.
Or carried around a crate of TNT to throw at your enemies (and then try to run away from the explosion before it took out both of your legs as well).

Darts are loads of fun.........dart everyone and see if you can dodge until they die.
Old February 10, 2004, 06:44   #37
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 17:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Street Fighter 2

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old February 10, 2004, 08:09   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Marid Audran
I think it's a toss-up betwixt Thief: The Metal Age and System Shock 2 for this category.

RIP, Looking Glass. Ion Storm can't hold a candle to you.
While good choices, Thief is only an action game if you stuff up when playing it.
Old February 10, 2004, 11:33   #39
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40
Back on topic, just finished round one of MP2 and having a blast.

I did not like the part where you have to escape from the burning building, but other than that, wow, better than the first so far.

Maybe it was because I was 2 shots away from dying for the longest time until I finally found some painkillers (Thought I was going to have to restart). Still love the bullet time. Also like the secondary weapon. It is nice to be able to toss a grenade and go back to my twin uzis without batting an eye.

I did finish MP1 BTW. I plyed SysS2 and DE for quite a while, but was unable to finish. I ran out of ammo in both games and could not get past where I was at, the baddies were just too tough. Also tried thief, but I'm really not into the sneaking games (hated those parts of DE and SS2).

Just recently finished NOLF and did not the sneaking in that game either. NOLF2 is on the shelf just waiting, waiting....

Classic comment from the Cowgirl yesterday while I was playing MP2, "Honey, you can finish saving the world tomorrow, it is time to come downstairs."

BTW, my new system rox. Love the logitech 640 speakers. Occasionally in the game, you'll knock on a locked door and dogs will bark. This made my dogs start barking.
Old February 10, 2004, 14:48   #40
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
Back on topic, just finished round one of MP2 and having a blast.

I did not like the part where you have to escape from the burning building, but other than that, wow, better than the first so far.

Maybe it was because I was 2 shots away from dying for the longest time until I finally found some painkillers (Thought I was going to have to restart). Still love the bullet time. Also like the secondary weapon. It is nice to be able to toss a grenade and go back to my twin uzis without batting an eye.

I did finish MP1 BTW. I plyed SysS2 and DE for quite a while, but was unable to finish. I ran out of ammo in both games and could not get past where I was at, the baddies were just too tough. Also tried thief, but I'm really not into the sneaking games (hated those parts of DE and SS2).

Just recently finished NOLF and did not the sneaking in that game either. NOLF2 is on the shelf just waiting, waiting....

Classic comment from the Cowgirl yesterday while I was playing MP2, "Honey, you can finish saving the world tomorrow, it is time to come downstairs."

BTW, my new system rox. Love the logitech 640 speakers. Occasionally in the game, you'll knock on a locked door and dogs will bark. This made my dogs start barking.
Well Bullet Time is now too powerfull altough so cool.
Run out of ammunition in SS2 and DE?
You are playing it tha action way
Well in SS2 all minor enemies have to be put down by wrench.
But even I ask how did you run out of ammunition in DE?
And sneaking parts are not required every part has more solutions.
Wait for C2 of MP2 it is the most fun
Old February 10, 2004, 14:53   #41
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I see I didn't make it all clear about what I wanted to say. Here's the short version:

MP1: Very boring... I hate the bullet-time
SS2: (As in Serious Sam 2) I really like
Deux Ex: Never kept me interested enough for me to finish first mission...
What!
You found DE boring!
Begone to Abyss!

Serious Sam? I thought on serious player ( ) liked that ***** we made.
Old February 10, 2004, 15:11   #42
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obstructor

Well Bullet Time is now too powerfull altough so cool.
Run out of ammunition in SS2 and DE?
You are playing it tha action way
Well in SS2 all minor enemies have to be put down by wrench.
But even I ask how did you run out of ammunition in DE?
And sneaking parts are not required every part has more solutions.
Wait for C2 of MP2 it is the most fun
I fall into the action type yes, but seems like I get stuck in those, grab cover and trade shots at the AI who is also good at grabbing cover. Plus early on, I killed everything, later finding out that this was a waste of ammo. I remember quiting in the rocket silo after being downed by an augumented dude.

In SS2, I got to lv6, but could only manage to sneak around with some special power I had that made me invisible. Could not figure out how to get past all the baddies to see what was next. I was basically out of ammo at that time and none to be found. Tried a couple of reloads snooping while invisible, but could not figure it out.

Which brings me to another point. NOLF and MP1 were the perfect length for me. DE, SS2, and even Half-Life were too long for me to finish. Serious boredom started to set in and there are always more game to play than I have time. Case in point: Bought them, but still waiting to be played: NOLF2, Diablo2, Call of Duty, Capitalism 2, I'm not at home to look at the rest.
Old February 10, 2004, 15:15   #43
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:

I fall into the action type yes, but seems like I get stuck in those, grab cover and trade shots at the AI who is also good at grabbing cover. Plus early on, I killed everything, later finding out that this was a waste of ammo. I remember quiting in the rocket silo after being downed by an augumented dude.
Rocket silo? That`s near the end of game!

Quote:
Which brings me to another point. NOLF and MP1 were the perfect length for me. DE, SS2, and even Half-Life were too long for me to finish. Serious boredom started to set in and there are always more game to play than I have time. Case in point: Bought them, but still waiting to be played: NOLF2, Diablo2, Call of Duty, Capitalism 2, I'm not at home to look at the rest.
Bad news: MP2 is short.
Old February 10, 2004, 15:18   #44
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:

Rocket silo? That`s near the end of game!

Bad news: MP2 is short.
I figured that I was close, it is still installed and saved, maybe I see if I can stomach the final.

I do not mind MP2 being short, too many other games to play, and no time. I'm sure that I've seen all that it can do by the end and will be iching to move on, not begging for more.
Old February 10, 2004, 15:21   #45
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:

I figured that I was close, it is still installed and saved, maybe I see if I can stomach the final.

I do not mind MP2 being short, too many other games to play, and no time. I'm sure that I've seen all that it can do by the end and will be iching to move on, not begging for more.
There are three endings of DE and they are quite interesting.
Old February 10, 2004, 18:51   #46
DrSpike
Deity

DE and SS2 are too long? That's a strange point to make. When games are that good you want them to have some meat.
Old February 10, 2004, 19:23   #47
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I'm assuming they were too long, cuz I gave up and was not able to finish them. I also do not like the how much longer is this going to take feeling. Never had the feeling that I was getting close to the end in either of those games.

Also SS2 seemed to have a lot of backtracking. In DE you felt like you should explore everything, but in the end it was a waste of lockpicks and sometimes ammo.
Old February 10, 2004, 19:27   #48
DrSpike
Deity

Then you should love MP2.
Old February 10, 2004, 19:45   #49
pg
Prince

doom and doom 2 win easily imo(for fps at least). nothing is so intense, fast, and choatic while remaining very skillful(see doom speed running for proof). doom 2 and it's megawads are unmatched. one thing central to doom's great gameplay is the sheer mass of enemies coupled with the speed, and power of the player character which leads to more permutations and better gameplay. games with few enemies who are strong and a crippled player character(compared to the enemies anyways) end up with gameplay based on gimmicks and the player taking advantage of ai stupidity.

ss is sort of doom lite because it has worse game and level design not to mention the fact enemies load as you walk around, unlike doom where they are always around(which is quite important for gameplay). in de you are very dependent on what you are given to work with and against. in other words de is more of a puzzle game - the action part is generally weaker compared to other fps games.

doom
Old February 11, 2004, 14:25   #50
Qilue
King

Local Time: 03:40
After reading this thread, most seem to interpret "action game" as being "first person shooter". But there are other kinds of action game. In particular Diablo and it's sequel Diablo 2.
Old February 11, 2004, 14:41   #51
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by pg
in de you are very dependent on what you are given to work with and against. in other words de is more of a puzzle game - the action part is generally weaker compared to other fps games.
Umm DE and SS2 are not fps games!

HERETIC!
Old February 11, 2004, 17:51   #52
pg
Prince

de is a hybrid, and by ss i meant serious sam(not system shock), so that's definately a fps!
Old February 11, 2004, 18:26   #53
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
NOLF2 is a little bit shorter than NOLF, but only a little bit--and just about everything else is noticably better.
Old February 11, 2004, 18:45   #54
Spiffor

Quote:
HERETIC!
No offense, but Heretic sucked compared to other games of that time. Doom2 was clearly superior IMHO, even if the graphics weren't as good.
Old February 12, 2004, 06:41   #55
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 01:40
Well, AFAIK, Heretic used the Doom engine, which made it less refined than Doom 2.
Old February 12, 2004, 10:39   #56
Spiffor

Oh, I thought it used Doom2's engine (not that they were radically different )

Heretic had pretty colors, and a doom-like in a heroic fantasy setting was original. But it lacked the joy of killing thousands of mindless monsters with overpowered weapons
Old February 12, 2004, 11:17   #57
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Okay, back on-topic, just finished part 2 of MP2 last night and it was sweet! I liked the concept of playing Mona for the last part of the chapter.

Gave up and went to bed went I got to part 3, and you have to find a weapon in the hospital with that guy chasing you. I'm sure that I'll figure it out this weekend.
Old February 12, 2004, 14:09   #58
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

No offense, but Heretic sucked compared to other games of that time. Doom2 was clearly superior IMHO, even if the graphics weren't as good.
??????????????????????????????????????????

What are you talking about?
I was insulting PG for daring to call DE a fps.

There is a game called Heretic?
Old February 12, 2004, 14:35   #59
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I think I once heard a game called that... but as far as I know, I never saw it...
Old February 12, 2004, 14:47   #60
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:

??????????????????????????????????????????

What are you talking about?
I was insulting PG for daring to call DE a fps.

There is a game called Heretic?
Yes, almost like Hexen, both of which were hard.