Old February 9, 2004, 15:26   #31
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
J.R. is hilarious. His constant commentary is what the game needs. His so called hit on Tkachuk was all in good fun and laughingly he was jesting to his buddy Keith about it.

And his 4 for 4 in skills shooting puts him in a select crowd.

All in all a good time had by J.R.

and

All in all one of the best all-star games I've seen.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 9, 2004, 15:35   #32
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40

wake me up when its playoff time
Old February 9, 2004, 18:43   #33
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
You'd owe a lot of people money if you made that bet.
NYE was stuck, so I didn't care.

Still, the game was good. Like Naslund and Bertuzzi get a chance to show off. It is so nice having such a good Canucks team for once!
Old February 9, 2004, 18:55   #34
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
NYE was stuck, so I didn't care.
Stuck? Stuck how? You are the one trying to argue that a broadcaster should not have some control over what they broadcast. All you can come up with is that some of of the other things they broadcast (or might broadcast) upset some people, so they should not disallow anything.

Your logic is somewhat deficient.
Old February 9, 2004, 19:01   #35
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
You are the one trying to argue that a broadcaster should not have some control over what they broadcast.
I do place some limits, such as advocating violence in the case of the KKK.

Finally, they are a PUBLIC broadcaster, not a private enterprise so 'freedom of association' doesn't apply.
Old February 9, 2004, 19:03   #36
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Very good All-Star game.

If only we could have that sort of game, with checking, but without obstruction/stickwork/fighting. That would be, unquestionably, far and away the best sport in the world.
Old February 9, 2004, 19:37   #37
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 10:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Kontiki

That's an interesting misconception you have there, considering there's a Quebec league (not sure if it's the QMJHL or another one) that is widely known as being probably the toughest, dirtiest league in the world.

And I'm sure the likes of Donald Brashear, George Laraque, Andre Roy and inumerable other French-Canadian enforcers would disagree with that assessment as well. Quite frankly, on average, I'd say that French-Canadian players are at least as physical, if not moreso, than their anglo-Canadian or American counterparts.
I agree with this. Laraque & Brashear are the two premiere bruisers in the league today.

However, I still think they're going overboard with Cherry.
Old February 9, 2004, 19:45   #38
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000
I just hope Philly doesnt trade Mike Comrie to Phoenix for Burke as rumored. That would ruin my day...
Yeah, quite frankly, I think Philly is looking to take it in the rear with this deal.

While I don't deny the fact that Burke will improve their playoff chances (though I do like Esche quite a bit), giving up Comrie seems like a steep price (even if Mikey still doesn't seem to 'fit' quite right in the Eastern Conference).

Also, the latest rumour is that Philly will toss in D Dennis Seidenberg, and the Yotes will add RW Branko Radivojevic to the deal... But I find that a little hard to believe, seeing as the Flyers just traded Weinrich for nothing (salary dump), and would seem to be running low on D-men, then.

Still, if Burke/Radivojevic for Comrie/Seidenberg happens, I'll be patting Mike Barnett on the back for a job well done.
Old February 9, 2004, 19:46   #39
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

The all-star game is lame and has been for a very long time. I have nothing against it really, but I do not watch it - it is too far from the real thing. I bet there were maybe 2 half-hearted hits and no penalties, right?

I do concur that Hockey is the Best Sport though. No other sport, IMO, combines the 1) level of teamwork, 2) continual effort and intensity, 3) skills, and 4) talent. Consider any other major league sport and I think at least 1 if not 2 of those elements are absent.

Cherry has to be taken with 2 CUPS of salt. Enough said.

Is BC included in people's perception of a redneck western Canada? If so I just do not understand. BC has marijuana, gay rights, environmentalists and has elected NDP governments (although not most recently).
Old February 9, 2004, 19:56   #40
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hey, if the cross burns you must be Westerners alright.
Old February 9, 2004, 20:07   #41
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

I do place some limits, such as advocating violence in the case of the KKK.

Finally, they are a PUBLIC broadcaster, not a private enterprise so 'freedom of association' doesn't apply.
Bull, and you know it.

Should one of their editorialists start spouting of about how the n***** and ch*** immigrants are ruining the country, they should not be able to haul that twit off the air?

Standards, Ben. The CBC has standards that they have every right to enforce on any and all whom they broadcast. The fact that they are a public broadcaster reinforces the argument that they should have higher standards, because they represent all of us.

To be honest, the reaction to the CBC putting Cherry on a 7 second delay is going overboard, I think. The way you are going on about it, you'd think the books were burning.
Old February 9, 2004, 20:15   #42
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
they should have higher standards, because they represent all of us.
Fair enough.

Quote:
To be honest, the reaction to the CBC putting Cherry on a 7 second delay is going overboard, I think

Now, can we talk hockey for awhile?
Old February 9, 2004, 20:22   #43
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
Now, can we talk hockey for awhile?
Seconded!

Is this Toronto's year?

(I hope not...)
Old February 9, 2004, 20:26   #44
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch

Seconded!

Is this Toronto's year?

(I hope not...)
Naw - those old fogies won't have any gas left in the tank. It would be sweet to see a Leafs-Canucks final though.
Old February 9, 2004, 20:27   #45
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
If only we could have that sort of game, with checking, but without obstruction/stickwork/fighting.
Though I'd still have it #3 on my list after Baseball and American Football... but a sole #3 (rather than tied with soccer) .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 9, 2004, 22:14   #46
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
it seems to me the french-canadian and european styles stress speed, finesse, stickwork, and passing... not hard hitting like in the US and Canada...
Yeah, Forsberg never throws his weight around and he never takes a shot at someone behind the play.
Old February 9, 2004, 22:24   #47
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
If only we could have that sort of game, with checking, but without obstruction/stickwork/fighting. That would be, unquestionably, far and away the best sport in the world.

Stickwork and obstruction gone, leave the fighting in.

Now if they only had a all star goon competition.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 9, 2004, 23:32   #48
cinch
Warlord

Burke Deal Finalised!

Flyers, Coyotes finalize deal

Does Sean Burke's arrival in Philly make the Flyers instant contenders?

The Philadelphia Flyers and Phoenix Coyotes have finally put an end to all the whispers and rumours surrounding the future of Sean Burke. Phoenix shipped the veteran netminder to Philadelphia Monday along with forward Branko Radivojevic and prospect Ben Eager of the Oshawa Generals in exchange for centre Mike Comrie.

The deal, concluded at the NHL general managers meeting in Henderson, Nev., addresses the needs of both teams.

The Flyers were down to rookie Antero Niittymaki in goal. Jeff Hackett retired Monday because of vertigo, and Robert Esche, once Burke's backup in Phoenix, is sidelined by a sprained knee.

The Coyotes are 0-4-1-1 in their last six games, and sorely in need of offence.

The 37-year-old Burke is 10-15-5 this season with one shutout and a 2.81 goals-against average. He had a short stint with the Flyers late in the 1997-98 season, and also has played for New Jersey, Hartford-Carolina, Florida and Vancouver.

Comrie, 23, has only four goals and five assists in 21 games for the Flyers this season, but scored 33 and 20 goals in consecutive seasons for Edmonton before running into contract problems with the Oilers last summer. He sat out the first two months of the season before the Oilers traded him to Philadelphia on Dec. 16.

Eager is an unsigned minor leaguer who was picked 23rd overall in the 2002 draft.

No Seidenberg? Looks like this deal turned out more to Philly's benefit than I imagined...

Hm.

Old February 10, 2004, 00:50   #49
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Nah..

Just Sean Burke, after all.

They'll regret trading Comrie, down the line.
Old February 10, 2004, 01:04   #50
Tingkai
Prince

They don't have a choice at this moment. With Esche out and Hackett retiring, the Flyers need a veteran goalie. The flyers are not going to miss Comrie.

But Burke?
Old February 10, 2004, 01:10   #51
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Still not enough.

No one fears Burke.
Old February 10, 2004, 19:35   #52
cinch
Warlord

From Sportsnet.ca:

Change on the horizon?

In an attempt to add a little more offensive punch to the game, the league's general managers believe they have the answers.

HENDERSON, Nev. (CP) -- Smaller goalie pads, three-point victories and limits on goalies playing the puck are among far-reaching changes proposed by the NHL's 30 general managers Tuesday.

The rule changes still have some important hurdles to clear, but it's hoped a more entertaining league will evolve from these decisions.

"A couple of these changes will make a major difference to the way the game is played," New York Islanders GM Mike Milbury said as the day-long meeting ended.

Tuesday's recommendations will be further re-examined at another GMs meeting in the spring, and then passed on in July to a blue-ribbon panel of hockey experts including coaches, players, media and some GMs.

Then the end package must be approved by the league's owners at a board of governors' meeting in late summer.

"In the final analysis it is subject to a board vote but as far as I'm concerned I think this process is moving along the way I anticipated," said commissioner Gary Bettman.

The GMs' recommendations include:

-- Goalies can no longer handle the puck behind the back-end red-line (behind the net);

"The original thought right now is that if the puck is behind the line and the goalie touches it, it's a two-minute penalty," said Bettman.

-- The width of goalie pads will be reduced to 10 inches from the current limit of 12 inches; also, the league's head office will act as a clearing house for goalie's equipment before they can wear it, in other words inspect it before giving it to goalies.-- The nets being brought back to 10 feet from the back boards from the current 13 feet;

-- The tag-up offsides will be brought back;

"The sense in the room is that the tag-up offsides will lead to less whistles," said Bettman.

-- The AHL will be asked to try out three points being awarded for a victory in regulation time with the NHL possibly going to that format in 2005-06 if it works well in the minors; that would also include two points for an overtime win; it may also include two points for a penalty shootout win.

"We'd like to provide an incentive for teams to win in regulation," Bettman said.

-- The AHL will also be asked to try out the so-called "fat lines" of both blue-lines and the centre red-line next season. But they will be 24 inches instead of the 36 inches tried out this year in the AHL. They're currently 12 inches wide in the NHL.

Responding to low-scoring games and dwindling attendance in some markets, the NHL's GMs didn't hold back when given a mandate by Bettman to find ways to open up the game.

"Yes, it is quite a bit," said Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.

There are also two changes that will go into effect as soon as this week. The penalty shot rule was clarified so as to include players who clearly are in a pursuit of a loose puck that would lead to a breakaway and are hauled down will now be awarded a penalty shot. Before, a player had to be in control of the puck.

Also, a clarification of the rule regarding goals scored when the net is slightly off -- those goals will now count.

Of all the changes that could be adopted, the limit on goalies playing the puck behind the net could prove to have the biggest impact, especially on some of the league's top puck-handling netminders like Martin Brodeur and Marty Turco.

But Bettman said GMs put the league ahead of their individual teams' concerns, which has been a problem in the past.

"There was a very candid dialogue," Bettman said.

Legendary coach Scotty Bowman took part in the decision-making Tuesday.

"They're asking me as a coach what I would do in certain situations and since I'm not active anymore I can give an unbiased opinion on that," Bowman said.

There were other issues that didn't make the cut.

"With respect to bigger nets, it was discussed, but we decided it wasn't worth doing now," Bettman said.

St. Louis Blues defenceman Al MacInnis, invited by the league to take part, pushed hard for no-touch icing, an issue close to his heart after suffering a near-career ending injury earlier in his career rushing to a puck on an icing play.

But the league at this point won't go to the no-touch icing, which is in use in international hockey.

"There wasn't quite enough interest on no-touch icing to bring it to the threshold of a rule change but we'll keep it in mind because we know the concerns of the players," Bettman said.

Also passed over was the idea of playing the full two minutes of a penalty no matter whether a goal was scored or not.

WHOA.

That IS a lot.

Thinner goalie pads? I can dig it.

Pushing the nets back? Right on.

3-point wins? Interesting...
Old February 10, 2004, 21:42   #53
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I like thinner goalie pads, but preventing goalies from getting the puck behind the net? I can't agree with that. The goalie should be more a part of the team, passing to defensemen, etc, instead of just being always anchored in the crease, IMO.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 10, 2004, 21:53   #54
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

No coincidence with Martin Brodeur being the most adept puckhandler in the NHL...

No coincidence at all.

I don't like the 3 points, as they distort the records. It becomes more difficult to adjust the statistics, to reflect how well the teams are doing.

You lose, as you have lost now, the 50% principle, in that the points directly correspond to the ratio of wins and losses.
Old February 10, 2004, 22:10   #55
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 02:40
I think the best (and easiest!) change they can make is to get rid of the ridiculous 2-line offside rule. Wouldn't want to have any break-out passes... that would be just too darn exciting.

I'm not a big fan of the 3-point win. If they're that worried about games ending tied, they should just extend the overtime to 10 minutes, and then maybe have a shoot-out. Not that I'm a big fan of shoot-outs, either.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old February 10, 2004, 22:53   #56
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
No coincidence with Martin Brodeur being the most adept puckhandler in the NHL...

You think that we should confine the goalie to the crease? Why shouldn't he be able to help out his offense and be an actually player on the ice.
Old February 10, 2004, 23:58   #57
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:

You think that we should confine the goalie to the crease? Why shouldn't he be able to help out his offense and be an actually player on the ice.
That doesn't go far enough, dagnabit!

They should bring back the old-timey "goaltenders must not leave their feet" rule. That would learn them uppity goalies!

jon.

Old February 11, 2004, 00:04   #58
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
The GMs' recommendations include:
-- Goalies can no longer handle the puck behind the back-end red-line (behind the net);

"The original thought right now is that if the puck is behind the line and the goalie touches it, it's a two-minute penalty," said Bettman.

What a fricken idiots. This is an incredible stupid idea.

This will just lead to more dump and run.

And this means that if the goalies at the post, he's got to keep his stick in front of the red line? He can't put his stick back to block the pass from behind the net!!

Plus, goalies going behind the net make the game interesting, especially when they screw up and get caught out of position.

What are these guys thinking!!!

Old February 11, 2004, 00:07   #59
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I agree with Imran--I like most of the proposed changes, but the rule about goalies not handling the puck is... strange. Perhaps not allowed to grab the puck behind the line, okay; or making them vulnerable to checks behind the line. But I can't see taking away all puck-handling.

I would also love to see elimination of the two-line pass rule, no-touch icing, and no fighting.
Old February 11, 2004, 00:14   #60
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
I agree with Imran--I like most of the proposed changes, but the rule about goalies not handling the puck is... strange. Perhaps not allowed to grab the puck behind the line, okay; or making them vulnerable to checks behind the line. But I can't see taking away all puck-handling.

I would also love to see elimination of the two-line pass rule, no-touch icing, and no fighting.
No fighting? I say bring on the goons! Get rid of the instigator and 3rd-man-in rules and let 'er rip!

As for the goalie issue, just treat them as skaters if they chose to wander outside of the (expanded if necessary) crease. "Problem" solved.

jon.