Old February 10, 2004, 12:58   #1
nomwin
Settler

Local Time: 17:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
City to city tile switch possible?
I have read posts that seem to indicate that it is possible to switch a tile from one city to another if their boundaries overlap. I have not been able to find any documentation on this. Is this possible and if so, how. Thanks in advance.
Old February 10, 2004, 13:20   #2
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 18:44
What do you mean by "switch"? Any tile that falls within the boundaries of two or more cities is workable by any of those cities. You can't assign a worker from one city to a tile that's currently being worked by another. So if you're in the city screen of City A, you cannot assign workers to tiles being worked by City B. What you need to do is go to the city screen for City B, reassign the worker from the tile in question, and then go back to City A and work the tile.
Old February 10, 2004, 13:27   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:44
That is a common way to share a bonus tile. It is most useful for two cities that are close and very early in the game.

You may have say a cow that is within the borders of two towns.
You can use it in town A to grow fast for as many turns as need and then when you need an extra shield and do not need the food, you move the citizen in town A off the cow to maybe a forrest tile.
Now town B can move a citizen onto the cow to gain the extra food.
Old February 11, 2004, 15:30   #4
nomwin
Settler

I got my answer. Thanks. The part I didn't understand was the bit about not being able to assign a citizen (from City A) to a tile that is already being worked by the citizen of another city (City B).
Old February 11, 2004, 18:05   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:44
You can even use those twice , as in both cities can use during the same turn.(under the right circomstances)
Old February 13, 2004, 09:39   #6
Scriblerus
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
You can even use those twice , as in both cities can use during the same turn.(under the right circomstances)

ummmm.....what circumstances would those be? All the calculations of food/gold/shields for all cities are actually managed in one pass at the end of the turn, no?

unless that old cow has become a mobile unit......
War can so easily be gilt with romance and heroism and solemn national duty and patriotism and the like by persons whose superficial literary and oratorical talent covers an abyss of Godforsaken folly - G B Shaw
Old February 13, 2004, 11:40   #7
Dry
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Scriblerus
ummmm.....what circumstances would those be? All the calculations of food/gold/shields for all cities are actually managed in one pass at the end of the turn, no?
Yes, but no.

During same turn: production complete in city A and city B gets 1 more citizen.
During the 'management phase', city A round comes first. The city screen popups and you may move the cow square workers to another one.
After that comes the city B round and the AI puts the new citizen in the 'best square' that may be the same cow square.

Very, very specific circumstances.
Old February 13, 2004, 12:39   #8
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 12:44
I never knew that, after playing Civ3 for 2 1/2 years!

Thanks, Dry!
Old February 13, 2004, 14:33   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What do you mean "Thanks Dry" !!!!

You don't a new citizen btw, city A does need a complete production so you can switch the workers in city A and City B.
(in city A you take the worker of the cow, while in city B you put him on it, then leave the city screen to complete the overall production phase)

I do consider it an exploit though, bordering to cheating.
Old February 13, 2004, 15:26   #10
Sovereign
Prince

I guess I gotta give u credit, Alva. This is the first time I've heard of such an exploit or cheat.
Old February 13, 2004, 17:31   #11
vmxa1
Deity

I agree it is an exploit. Not to mention a lot of work.
Old February 13, 2004, 19:11   #12
alva
Deity

Yeah it, but it you fine tune it (having some 1 or 2 turn production core cities combined with close city placement and of course trying to make sure (especially) cows are shared), it can be very powerfull during the early game.
Old February 13, 2004, 22:05   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign

I guess I gotta give u credit, Alva. This is the first time I've heard of such an exploit or cheat.
well, alva's the one to go to if you want exploits...
Old February 14, 2004, 11:30   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Surely this is a well-known tactic where the originator had faded into legend...?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 15, 2004, 10:43   #15
Sovereign
Prince

Heh.

To be honest, guys, I don't like to exploit. Well maybe I do when I'm on the verge of defeat, then again, who wouldn't?

I've tried Emperor level before and failed miserably. I guess I *could* win at Emperor by using Exploits, but that would be cheap.

I'm curious though. Did the programmers overlook these exploits, or left them in game intentionally as a "crutch" for the player?
Old February 15, 2004, 14:58   #16
vmxa1
Deity

I don't think this is going to come up enough to matter. I have never thought to use it. The extra boost is not going to be the difference between winning and losing. It will be the difference between one run of the game and other pass. This would matter in some sort of a comparison test, but not worth fixing for general play.

Fixing some exploits, may be hazardous to the game. IOW they may find they will have a lot of trouble making a correction and not breaking anything else.
Old February 16, 2004, 09:24   #17
Scriblerus
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
What do you mean "Thanks Dry" !!!!

You don't a new citizen btw, city A does need a complete production so you can switch the workers in city A and City B.
(in city A you take the worker of the cow, while in city B you put him on it, then leave the city screen to complete the overall production phase)

I do consider it an exploit though, bordering to cheating.

Well, here's me the advocate of micromanagement since the days of Civ I, and I've never thought of that one.....
War can so easily be gilt with romance and heroism and solemn national duty and patriotism and the like by persons whose superficial literary and oratorical talent covers an abyss of Godforsaken folly - G B Shaw
Old February 16, 2004, 16:56   #18
Sovereign
Prince

Micromanagement... that reminds me...

I can't seem to figure out how to "save" my production queries of a particular city, then apply it all to the rest. I remember reading somewhere that it says SHIFT with a certain key?

I think it would be nice to add CTP style building query saves / loads to cut down considerably on micromanagement.