View Poll Results: What did you do in AU 501 (AU mod)?
I used the free tech to get Republic faster 3 14.29%
I used the free tech outside the Republic path 5 23.81%
I didn't try to research Philosophy 4 19.05%
The AI beat me to Philosophy 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11, 2004, 11:52   #1
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 13:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU 501: Philosophy feedback
The version of the AU mod used for AU 501 included a change to Philosophy: This technology was no longer required in order to advance to the Middle Ages, and part of the cost of the Republic was added to it.

If you played AU 501 using the AU mod, how did these changes affect your strategy?

Was a beeline for Philosophy the usual no-brainer for you? Or did you think twice before researching a more expensive Philosophy in case an AI was already on its way there? Would your research choices have been different if there were no change to Philosophy? Did you research Philosophy even though you didn't plan to become a Republic?
Old February 11, 2004, 12:23   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

I used Philosophy to get Mathematics, which means that the AU mod did not appear to have its intended effect on Philosophy for me.

Still it was far from a no-brainer. I was aiming for Monarchy, but Japan already had Polytheism. Sumeria had Map Making, Code of Laws, and Literature. So my choices were a) research something that the AI already had at a discount (probably Polytheism), b) try to get Philosophy first, or c) go for Mathematics. Since Sumeria was researching much faster than me, I thought about it long and hard before I chose to research Philosophy. If Sumeria had beaten me, I would have wasted precious time towards my Monarchy goal.
Old February 11, 2004, 12:34   #3
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 11:47
Quote:
Was a beeline for Philosophy the usual no-brainer for you?
Not even close. I had no illusions about getting the freebie.
Quote:
Or did you think twice before researching a more expensive Philosophy in case an AI was already on its way there?
Nope, I still only thought once about it, just in the opposite direction.
Quote:
Would your research choices have been different if there were no change to Philosophy?
I don't think so, being new to Emperor still, I decided early on that I was going for Monarchy.
Quote:
Did you research Philosophy even though you didn't plan to become a Republic?
IIRC, I traded for it, then used it to get other techs I wanted.
As soon as I sized up Japan, and saw the Luxury situation, I knew I was going to need troops and happiness help - Monarchy was the no-brainer this time. At the same time, I also decided that I was going to do Monarchy->Democracy - to the point that I beelined Demo as soon as I had Chivalry for taking out Japan.

I think I even ended up getting Republic in trade at some point, but Monarchy was so attractive I didn't even debate myself when Anarchy was over. "Monarchy was so attractive" - I can't remember the last time I said that, if ever. Which means, to me, we're doing good things with the early government changes - now we just need to make it very preferable to make a second change.
Old February 11, 2004, 13:39   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
I did not make a priority to research philosophy, preferring to get map making sooner and be able to get my dromons out to wage war on Japan. By the time I got around to researching it, no one else had yet, but I ended up missing being the first to research it by a turn or two (the Dutch got it just ahead of me).
Old February 13, 2004, 13:40   #5
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 18:47
I decided to go for Philosophy after I had contacted the first 3 AI civs and suspected that the 'normal' AI would be rather isolated in this scenario. Being able to trade Writing away for some other techs surely made the decision easier.

I wanted to change to Republic eventually, but the Great Lighthouse seemed more important in the short run, so I chose Map Making as (possible) free tech.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old February 13, 2004, 15:48   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Oh darn, I think I might have voted incorrectly. I did research Philo, and I did get there first. I voted that I used it to get to Republic faster (Code of Laws), but now I'm thinking back and I may have used it on Map Making! Arg, I don't remember.

That's what I get for not taking notes.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 13, 2004, 16:24   #7
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Like several others, I used the free tech to get Map Making.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, pursuing Philosophy was still a no-brainer for me, primarily because I was planning on a Republic GA, and wantd to get Republic quickly.

2. No, I didn't think twice about pursuing it, since I needed it anyway. If anything, I was more intent of getting it ASAP, so that I could get MM and start building dromons.

3. No. Most games I beeline for Republic. (I probably should rethink that approach, given the changes that have been made to unit support, etc. for Republic.)
Old February 13, 2004, 17:21   #8
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

I went for Philosophy, and was three turns away when I learned the Dutch had it. As I recall, I stopped for Map Making along the way, in the spirit of seafaring and all that.

I would have used it for Code of Laws, which was still undiscovered, and traded that around. In short, I would have behaved just like I did in stock. First time I was ever beaten to it before, though. That was nice (in retrospect )
Old February 13, 2004, 17:54   #9
Aeson
Emperor

I played Deity stock rules. I got the popup that Mausollus had been built the same turn I finished Writing. Later on I was just barely beaten to the Republic by the Sumerians.

Would be interesting to see if the AI wouldn't have gone for it so quickly as an optional tech. That might affect the player's ability to get to Republic first on high difficulties.
Old February 14, 2004, 00:07   #10
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 03:47
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I went for it, but missed out by 2 turns. The rule change didn't affect my choice, but it gives more flexibility in that you can bypass Philosophy and go for the middle ages more quickly. Of course, that can be counterproductive in the longer term since you'll probably be in Despotism longer unless you've also gone for Mopnarchy.

Overall, it probably adds more flexibility for the human player rather than the AI. Not sure how the AI reacts to the change though.
Old February 17, 2004, 16:44   #11
pvzh
C3CDG Team Babylon
Warlord

I played AU mod, Emperor. Sumerians beat me to philosophy by 2 turns or so with their detour for Literature. They took Code of Law as a bonus. I think AU mod took care of Philosophy beeline nicely.

Last edited by pvzh; February 18, 2004 at 13:47.
Old February 17, 2004, 21:01   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I went for it, got there first (and got an SGL), traded around mid-stream, and took Monarchy as my free tech.

/me still hates early Republic, and ended up sticking with Monarchy the whole game.

I think the AU Mod tweaks on this one are great.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.