Old February 11, 2004, 17:14   #1
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 09:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Opinions on "questionable" tactics in MP
This thread is geared toward the more experienced players, but I'd recommend everyone reading it. Some of you might learn a stupid trick or two .

I recently picked up playing SMAC again after about a year off in a MP game against one of my friends. Both of us are very rusty which is making the game interesting. My friend has done several things this game in a feeble attempt to beat me (we both understand that I'm the stronger player) but some of his tactics I'm not sure should be allowed in future games. I'll make a list, tell me what you think.

Deceptive renaming of units - IMO this is ok, especially cause it's funny most of the time. Earlier in the game he upgraded a sizeable number of recon rovers to gas-impact rovers, but renamed the unit type to recon rover (note the 2 spaces) in the workshop. I almost didn't notice the "new" recon rovers were 4X-1-2 . We used to do this a lot, naming choppers as sea formers or other ridiculous things, but it had been so long it almost caught me off guard.

Renaming of bases - He renamed ALL his bases to Mike Sucks. This makes it a horrible pain in the ass to figure out what base did what, and it would be even worse if I didn't have him infiltrated. IMO this isn't ok, and it takes away from the role-playing aspect of the game that helps make SMAC so good.

Free Market Military Base - When running free market, going on offense is hard... unless you create a size 1 base that is well protected and crawler enough minerals to it to support your entire army. I had completely forgotten you could do this and was counting on him not being able to maintain his energy output + a good offense. This is one of those game loopholes that I don't think should be allowed.

What do you guys think?
Old February 11, 2004, 17:20   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:47
All allowed IMHO.
Old February 11, 2004, 17:58   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 06:47
Local Date: November 3, 2010
IMO base renaming to all the same name shouldn't be allowed. The game should probably do a check to ensure the base name is unique (atleast within the faction).

Otherwise I really think it depends on whether your playing it like an RPG or strictly as a pure strategy game.
Old February 11, 2004, 18:03   #4
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Busta,

Renaming units - Funny and allowable

Renaming Bases - Funny, insultable and allowable. Just remember its gonna be a bit of a pain for him as well.

Military Base in FM- Absolutely allowed. You wanna be a bastard to him pick off his crawlers and watch his units evaporate and/or get rehomed to other bases causing riot. Now if he made those units all clean thats a different story, but he still had to pay more for them.

Sorry Busta, but I'm of the opinion of Maniac.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 11, 2004, 20:47   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
All allowed IMHO.

Agreed
Old February 12, 2004, 12:08   #6
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
you guys play mean. That's fine then, I'm really good at playing mean too. I'll let him know others think it's just fine.
Old February 12, 2004, 15:28   #7
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 18:47
First is funny, second does detract from role play and i wouldnt use it in a serious game and the last is perfectly fine (every govt deceives its citizens about its activities when it goes to war anyways so think of it that way, top secret military base nobody can complain about)
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old February 12, 2004, 18:29   #8
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 12:47
Maybe if you changed your name , #2 wouldn't bother you as much.
(even better if you were able to change your friend's name to Mike while you were at it).

The game provides punishment spheres, which also convert a base into a suitable home for your foreign legion, so they were possably thinking of ways to allow for overseas forces. In SMAX, the Brood Pits also give you a partial exemption with the local +2 Police benefit (let you at least get 1 out of the faction unit per Brood Pit base).
Old February 12, 2004, 19:38   #9
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:47
All allowed if you ask me.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:07   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:47
Plink his crawler farms, you got a lotta dead bugs enemy units.
Old February 13, 2004, 15:28   #11
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Twinkish if you ask me and shouldn't be allowed. But hey, to everybody their own. However if you're playing a MP, those kind of detials should be ironed out and agreed upon before the game starts. Once a game has started, it's too late.
Old February 14, 2004, 18:03   #12
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 13:47
First, legal and used by as a classic move in military counter-intelligence to mislead the enemy. Allowable, and historical.

Second - I'd never thought of that. Really tacky, perfectly legal, highly obnoxious.

Third. Standard tactic. Good target for suicide choppers or needlejets - fission w/impact weapons. Choppers will wreak havoc if you can get them through, needlejets have a better chance of getting through but will only get one kill. Crawlers cost 30, suicide units cost 20. Simple math.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old February 14, 2004, 19:38   #13
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:47
One of the great things I would do, is to rename my units with spaces or underscores (all of them), and rename my bases to their co-ordinates.

We all know the bug where if you tell a unit to move over the base on (24, 56) the text comes up: Move to: The Hive
So in my games I rename my base to (24, 56) until I'm infiltrated, then I rename them to -entirely different- co-ordinates, possibly the same ones.

I loved the expression on my opponent's face when I went ICS and he tried to use above bug to find my bases - I had named my pases in -reverse grid- order, so (1,1) was bottom right.
The central base had the right number.
Drove him nuts until he got a probe team round to figure out WTF was going on.
Old February 14, 2004, 20:21   #14
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
We all know the bug where if you tell a unit to move over the base on (24, 56) the text comes up: Move to: The Hive
Btw, what is everyone's opinion about using that bug?
Old February 15, 2004, 02:50   #15
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Btw, what is everyone's opinion about using that bug?
I think it's cheating personally.

Oh, and as for the game I was talking about I won pretty easily anyway.