Old February 23, 2004, 16:32   #181
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 09:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
im talking about all drugs - weed, hash, coke, heroine, shrooms, x etc.

and i hope you get arrested for being gay and get thrown out of a helicopter.
Old February 23, 2004, 16:34   #182
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 14:48
All drugs? What are you stupid or something? Weed... well.. I don't give a damn about it any more. But cocaine? Heroin? LSD? What the hell are you on? HELL NO. And your second sentence isn't worth a response.... what the **** is wrong with you? Being gay is not the same as being a stupid drug addict.. so don't even try it with your stupid half @$$ed comparsions.

Just curious, are you high?
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 23, 2004, 16:37   #183
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

hahaha nah. being high doesnt make you confrontational - it makes you chill out. at least high on bud. i have no desire to try anything else.
Old February 23, 2004, 16:39   #184
Giancarlo
King

Just don't compare me to a drug addict. I don't appreciate that.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 23, 2004, 16:41   #185
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

the arguments against drugs and gays are very similar.
Old February 23, 2004, 16:52   #186
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
the arguments against drugs and gays are very similar.
No they aren't.
Old February 23, 2004, 17:01   #187
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

yea they are. you say drugs are immoral, people say that gayness is immoral.
Old February 23, 2004, 17:03   #188
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
yea they are. you say drugs are immoral, people say that gayness is immoral.
But neither are comparable in any other sense.
Old February 23, 2004, 17:04   #189
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

one connection is enough.
Old February 23, 2004, 17:05   #190
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
one connection is enough.
No it isn't.
Old February 23, 2004, 17:14   #191
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

yea it is.
Old February 23, 2004, 18:21   #192
Giancarlo
King

no it isn't.
Old February 23, 2004, 18:22   #193
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:48
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I never thought a debate would actually devolve to this point......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 23, 2004, 18:23   #194
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

yea it is.
Old February 23, 2004, 18:23   #195
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I never thought a debate would actually devolve to this point......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I'm just playing along.

I wonder what he'll reply with..

And he beat me to it.. so my reply:

No it isn't!
Old February 23, 2004, 18:57   #196
rev
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo

But neither are comparable in any other sense.
Yes: both are examples of government legislating based on morals rather than crime. Government and its associates don't want someone ingesting marijuana based on a moral repulsion to the very idea of it, so it's made illegal and lies, damned lies, and far-fetched statistics are employed to scare the populace into agreement. Similarly, government and its associates don't want a male 'ingesting' another male's genitals in gany method, so they employ untruths or rexaggerations as scare tactics to keep the populace in agreement: Homosexuals shall never be allowed to do anything together because it will result in your offspring suffering molestation, or THEY MAY EVEN BECOME HOMOSEXUALS THEMSELVES!!1! (scary music goes here).

Government should make *crimes* illegal -- crimes in which there is a victim and a victimizer; they should not legislate morality.
Old February 23, 2004, 19:07   #197
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 13:48

This is ****ing hilarious...
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 23, 2004, 23:16   #198
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

exactly rev. just as there is no victim with using drugs, there is no victim with being gay.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:54   #199
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rev

Yes: both are examples of government legislating based on morals rather than crime. Government and its associates don't want someone ingesting marijuana based on a moral repulsion to the very idea of it, so it's made illegal and lies, damned lies, and far-fetched statistics are employed to scare the populace into agreement. Similarly, government and its associates don't want a male 'ingesting' another male's genitals in gany method, so they employ untruths or rexaggerations as scare tactics to keep the populace in agreement: Homosexuals shall never be allowed to do anything together because it will result in your offspring suffering molestation, or THEY MAY EVEN BECOME HOMOSEXUALS THEMSELVES!!1! (scary music goes here).

Government should make *crimes* illegal -- crimes in which there is a victim and a victimizer; they should not legislate morality.
You haven't changed. You still are the same old joke you always have been.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:57   #200
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

whos the 'victim' of drug usage? whos the 'victim' of gayness?
Old February 23, 2004, 23:58   #201
Giancarlo
King

Victim of drug usage = you.

Homosexuality is like heterosexuality.. drug addiction is not.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:59   #202
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

and what if i dont consider myself a victim of drug use? how can i be a victim when i voluntairly use it?
Old February 24, 2004, 00:16   #203
rev
Chieftain

Quote:

You haven't changed. You still are the same old joke you always have been.
Well, for one, I've never claimed to have "changed", so don't put words into my mouth.

Secondly, all I did was reply to your argument with an illustrated standpoint of my own, and all you can do is retaliate with a personal attack.

I'll let that speak for itself.
Old February 24, 2004, 00:45   #204
Aeson
Emperor

For some drugs (in some situations) the only 'victim' is the user (and they are free to determine whether they are a victim or not IMO). For other drugs there definitely are victims who are not the ones chosing to use the drug or not. In some cases it is the taxpayer, having to support the user or their children. In other cases it's victims of violent crime by those under the influence.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/satsfp97.htm (picture from the pdf)

I'll agree that these statistics aren't too meaningful (based on the criminal's word), but they represent the best collection of data I could find on drug use and violent crime. Anyone have a better source of data?

From personal experience I can attest to the effect of drugs on a user's agressiveness, and have been attacked by friends under the influence.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	drug.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	65160  
Old February 24, 2004, 00:48   #205
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 13:48
Shameful, isn't it Aeson?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 24, 2004, 03:13   #206
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:

Legalize drugs? In your dreams. Why the hell should we do that? So people can sell their **** freely in the streets without getting arrested? And maybe some cops want to work in narcotics. Several cops I know here in LA like the job they do.
Legalize drug is the best way to kill the drug catural. If cocain was legal 1 kg will be worth 6 dollar instead 30000 dollar a kg. Heron will be worth 10 dollar a kg instead of 1000,000 dollar a kg.
Old February 24, 2004, 04:12   #207
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

cool stats. interesting how drug consupmtion is less likely to make you do violent crimes, since a lot of drugs chill you out, while they are more likely to make you rob houses. alkie seems to have a differnet effect, and makes people more beliigerent.
Old February 24, 2004, 04:20   #208
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
If cocain was legal 1 kg will be worth 6 dollar instead 30000 dollar a kg. Heron will be worth 10 dollar a kg instead of 1000,000 dollar a kg.
I'll say this. I understand the positions that people have on marijuana legalisation. But legalising cocaine or heroin? People who want that are half wit idiots who do not have an argument for such a stupid argument.

And just ask yourself this: Who can buy drugs at such high prices? Fewer can. And your numbers are bogus. Also... legalising it will bring in an influx of supply, thus cancelling out any loss in sales for the illegal drug trade.
Old February 24, 2004, 04:48   #209
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:48
Quote:
if we legalized drugs, there would be no more overcrowding of jails in california. then we could say a lot of money. not to mention closing the narcotics division of all the police stations and transfering those guys to real crime divisions - like homicide, rape, etc.
That's wrong. I saw a study which showed less then 5% of the people who were in jail were there solely because of drugs. It's a myth to say that legalizing drugs will solce jail over crowding because California already releases most no violent offenders to rehab programs due to over crowding.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; February 24, 2004 at 05:27.
Old February 24, 2004, 05:26   #210
Aeson
Emperor

Quote:
cool stats. interesting how drug consupmtion is less likely to make you do violent crimes, since a lot of drugs chill you out, while they are more likely to make you rob houses. alkie seems to have a differnet effect, and makes people more beliigerent.
Well, if you assume that on average, every person in the US is on illicit drugs more than 30% of the time, then you can make a case for using drugs to reduce violent crime rates. I very highly doubt that though, as only 8% of the population uses illicit drugs regularly, and while a good chunk of the remainder may use illicit drugs occasionally or once in a while, it would be virtually impossible for the 8% to pull the 'average time on drugs' up to 100% for 30% of the population (or any equivalent). Given the lack of data in this area, I don't think any hard conclusions can be drawn, so didn't make that assertion. It's too much assumption either way really.

If you do just go by the numbers though, alcohol has more of an impact on crime than drugs. Given that alcohol's effects are similar to many illicit drugs, you would have to assume it is in large part the ease of obtaining alcohol (and perhaps even it's legality) that results in it's higher costs to society. This would disagree with an argument that legalization of drugs with similar effects as being in society's best interest.

I wish there was more defined data though. (anyone know of a source?) To show things well, we need comparable counts of who uses what (lumping all illicit drugs together is bordering on useless) in the criminal (violent or otherwise non-drug violation related) and general population. Then any discrepancies could be made much clearer.