Old February 13, 2004, 01:06   #121
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 11:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
If you want to deal with math though, answer me this. Does the value of the number "5" somehow change if I call it "go" instead of "five"? I would submit that the value of the number would be equal in both cases, despite the change in nomenclature.
It's more than a change in nomenclature.

They are very different by definition, where marriages are a more restricted form. It's like real versus whole numbers.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:09   #122
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 12:51
Quote:
Quote:
How can something be equal if it is different?
Just because things are different does not automatically make them unequal.
I recall how segregationist justified their position on the doctrine, "separate but equal" -- is this how you justify your position?
Old February 13, 2004, 01:13   #123
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 13:51
Quote:
I recall how segregationist justified their position on the doctrine, "separate but equal" -- is this how you justify your position?
Yes. I'm not going to let a strained comparison to segregationists scare me away from what I view as the most pragmatic course of action. There's no sense in overthrowing the definition of marriage when you can give homosexuals equal rights with a different form of union.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:14   #124
MrFun
Emperor

Ok, I can accept that as a legitimate position -- even if I disagree with it.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:15   #125
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Yes. I'm not going to let a strained comparison to segregationists scare me away from what I view as the most pragmatic course of action. There's no sense in overthrowing the definition of marriage when you can give homosexuals equal rights with a different form of union.
So you find it acceptable that a religious doctrine is unabashedly backed by the government?
Old February 13, 2004, 01:15   #126
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

The question that I have is whether gays value social acceptance or legal recognition more. The tactics to achieve each of these sometimes work against the other.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 13, 2004, 01:16   #127
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
So you find it acceptable that a religious doctrine is unabashedly backed by the government?
It's not religious doctrine; it's a customary definition of marriage that has been in place for generations.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:18   #128
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
It's not based on religious doctrine; it's based on a customary definition of marriage that has been in place for generations.
It is most certainly based on a religious doctrine, as its supporters frequently prove with their references to the bible. It's also extremely likely that if a person opposes gay marriages, they are religious. It's also apparent to anyone with half a clue that the reason it's "customary" is because the US is, by and large, a Christian nation with Christian customs. A "been in place for generation" is no excuse for non-action, if it was we'd never change a thing. We'd still have slavery. Women could not vote...
Old February 13, 2004, 01:23   #129
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
It's also apparent to anyone with half a clue that the reason it's "customary" is because the US is, by and large, a Christian nation with Christian customs.
What's your point? The fact that the current societal definition of marriage is rooted in Judeo-Christian moral thought (as are many other aspects of American society) does not make it a "religious doctrine" anymore than proscriptions against murder can be viewed as some sort of Christian conspiracy.

Quote:
A "been in place for generation" is no excuse for non-action,
I never said it was. It does explain why large sections of the American populace are opposed to gay marriage, however, an opposition that could turn ugly if social change is carried out via judicial fiat as opposed to more democratic measures.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:23   #130
DanS
Deity

Asher, that's not true. Religion has dressed itself up with marriage, but the institution itself has been around for thousands of years in societies very far removed from judaism and christianity.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 13, 2004, 01:26   #131
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Asher, that's not true. Religion has dressed itself up with marriage, but the institution itself has been around for thousands of years in societies very far removed from judaism and christianity.
Thanks for proving my point -- religions were the ones that defined it between man and woman.
Old February 13, 2004, 01:30   #132
DanS
Deity

As far as I know, marriage in the Western World is an Ancient Greco-Roman institution. Perhaps it even goes further back. I don't remember that religion was particularly involved. Of course, in the US, religion has been decreasingly involved in sanctioning marriages.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:13   #133
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 09:51
the bible says a man cant lie with a man the way he lies with a woman. what about woman on woman?
Old February 13, 2004, 02:18   #134
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I'm pretty sure God approves of that. He is a man, after all.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:50   #135
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
marriage is a contract between individuals, or individuals and their church.
LoA:

Then why does the state restrict people from marrying two others at once? Why have any state involvement at all?

Finally, why should the state provide benefits, if this is merely a private contract?
Old February 13, 2004, 02:51   #136
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Strawmen indeed, Bennyboy.
Sorry.

I had to take off.

Strawman to JohnT, not to you.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:53   #137
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
Quote:
Then why does the state restrict people from marrying two others at once? Why have any state involvement at all?

Finally, why should the state provide benefits, if this is merely a private contract?
If I can speak for myself, I quite agree. The state should neither restrict marriage nor provide benefits for marriage.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:54   #138
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
LoA:

This argument of yours has been shot down by others, namely NYE as I recall.

Polygamy exploits people.
Old February 13, 2004, 02:59   #139
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I'd love to see the proof for this one.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:00   #140
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Ming:

Quote:
Duhhh... and the state chooses to only recogise different sex marriages, not same sex... again, second class treatment.
That's not really the issue here. I wanted other examples of how homosexuals are treated by law as second-class citizens. None of your points stand to scrutiny.

Quote:
I know... but you still won't let them get married... second class treatment.
Would you force churches to marry two men to each other?

Quote:
Again... you asked for second class treatment examples... not on whether gay marriage will solve it.
Second class treatment already targetted by laws. Fez talks about steps. Steps to ensure equality. Now, if in law they are already accorded equal treatment, then this is a salient point.

Quote:
But that doesn't stop it from happening in the first place and is second class treatment.
Again, laws cannot prevent something from occurring, they can only deter. The fact that the state deters is a provision of equality. Another salient point.

Quote:
Not if somebody outs them... plus, it's second class treatment that special rules are applied to them.
Agreed. People who out them ought to be kicked out themselves. Preferences ought to have no bearing on one's occupation.

Quote:
Good... you admit that your usual argument that it will effect straight marriages is a crock...
No. I merely admit that not all problems with marriage can be traced to homosexuality.

All I can do is speculate on the effects of marriage, and frankly, all I see are negative effects. Can you show me a single positive benefit to all marriages by marrying homosexuals?
Old February 13, 2004, 03:00   #141
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
I'd love to see the proof for this one.
Do you lack any common sense at all?
Old February 13, 2004, 03:04   #142
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Because it's simply a different societal status, even then.
And this is the ultimate tragedy, Asher.

Regardless of what you call it, be it marriage or civil unions, or if you are given equal benefits, you cannot force society to give gay marriages equal standing. That is outside the realm of law, and the provisions of government.

You will receive everything yet gain nothing.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:05   #143
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Do you lack any common sense at all?
Appeals to "common sense" usually mean that someone has no proof whatsoever...

Anyway, common sense would dictate that some polygamous relationships are exploitative and some are not. I don't see what gives you (or the state) the right to deny these people the right to the same union that you would give to homosexual couples.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:06   #144
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Asher:

Quote:
So? The state does not prevent one business from signing an unequal contract, providing the contract meets with the approval of all party.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:06   #145
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Can you show me a single positive benefit to all marriages by marrying homosexuals?
Can you show me a single positive benefit to all marriages by allowing YOU to marry? No? Then I guess it's OK to stop you from marrying!
Old February 13, 2004, 03:08   #146
David Floyd
Emperor

BK,

Quote:
So? The state does not prevent one business from signing an unequal contract
Not that it's relevant, but the state does prohibit "unconscionable" contracts or clauses within contracts. Haven't studied the UCC lately, though, so I can't elaborate.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:11   #147
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Can you show me a single positive benefit to all marriages by allowing YOU to marry?
Thank you DF.

Now you see why that is an unfair question.

Thank you very much.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:11   #148
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 14:51
Quote:
Fez talks about steps. Steps to ensure equality.
I did? I want a total reworking of the laws. Not steps. I want something now. I want action now and I want you anti-gay rights people out of the way of the constitution.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 13, 2004, 03:16   #149
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
This move is a step towards equal rights that have for a long time have been denied to us GLB people.
These, I believe are your words, are they not?
Old February 13, 2004, 03:19   #150
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 14:51
Quote:

These, I believe are your words, are they not?
Oops. I didn't mean step. I mean a plan of action. Well the start of a plan of action. We cannot stop there.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.