Old February 13, 2004, 17:54   #241
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm thinking more long the lines of a counter for religious arguments against gay marriage. Since not all religions oppose it, banning it is staking a side on a religous issue, which is banned.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 13, 2004, 18:04   #242
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 12:51
I see your point. And that is the primary reason why the government has a seperartion of church and state... because religions don't even agree on this or most subjects
Old February 13, 2004, 21:28   #243
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:51
Well, my partner John and I just had a discussion.

John asked me if I wanted to go to San Francisco City Hall tomorrow to get married.

After an long discussion, we've decided to hold off for a while.

Why?

Well, we are already registered as Domestic Parners with the State of California (for what good that does), but if we were to get married (and yes, we both want to), we need time to plan for it. We don't want a rush job.

I want a ceremony (nothing big or special) but I want a fabulous reception with my whole family and John's whole family present (along with various friends, of course)....but to plan for something like this takes time.

So, even though in my earlier posts, I stated that I don't care if they call my union between my partner and I a "marriage" or something else....I was not being fully honest with myself and Starchild's earlier post helped me to open my eyes to the entire issue at hand (ie, seperate but unequal).

Any how, John and will be married (laws allowing), but after being together for almost 14 years (hows that for a dating period!), we want and need the time to plan for our special day.

I don't want the entire process to end up being a rush job, that's all.
Old February 13, 2004, 21:34   #244
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
Wittlich you rock

As a republican I actually like Newsom, but I feel that this little "stunt" of his will be short lived, unfortunately.

If anywhere, SF should be the have for gay marriage. Sheesh! Go down to the Castro (like I did a while ago to help friends move) and you will understand why; it's the most normal place in all the bay area!

Anyway, I hope your special day is well planned. I am getting ready to go to a friends, uh, whatever you call it, "wedding" soon. I am most certain it will be more tasteful and fun than any of the 7 weddings I went to last year.
Old February 13, 2004, 22:01   #245
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:51
Wow, 14 years. On your pic, I would never have thought you were old enough to have a 14 years old relationship
Old February 13, 2004, 22:05   #246
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
On your pic, I would never have thought you were old enough to have a 14 years old relationship
That's because of secret homosexual fashion products which make you look 10 years younger .

Wittlich: Hope your wedding ceremony is a very nice one, planned to the detail in the way you like it
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 13, 2004, 22:38   #247
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Best of luck to ya, Wittlich.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 13, 2004, 22:50   #248
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
First... BK thinks all those people will burn in hell
Be thankful I'm not Catholic...

Otherwise, that would be the case.
Old February 13, 2004, 22:52   #249
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
So the crack head mother of 12 children who spends her welfair money on more drugs has shown she is more worthy to receive a benefit than two gays who want to get married...
No mention of her marriage, so no.

Quote:
At first, their was a penality in the tax structure for those that got married. Living in sin actually was better for tax purposes.... Married straight couples NEVER had to prove that they were worthy of the benefits... so why should gays.
Why the change, Ming? At some point the married folks had to argue to change the tax laws.
Old February 13, 2004, 22:59   #250
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Wow, 14 years. On your pic, I would never have thought you were old enough to have a 14 years old relationship

What? It's a picture of a 41 year old gay man...are you telling me that my picture doesn't look like a 41 year old straight man?

But I understand your post Spiffor, thanks for the compliment!

PS Imran is right, it's because of products I use from: http://www.nancyboy.com Though I doubt that it's because of NancyBoy products....I guess it doesn't hurt either!
Old February 13, 2004, 23:01   #251
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

John asked me if I wanted to go to San Francisco City Hall tomorrow to get married.

Wittlich, you suck. I bet that Glonkie and Fez would be first on the block. Now you're going to make me lose.

Congratulations BTW.
Old February 13, 2004, 23:03   #252
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:

I want a ceremony (nothing big or special) but I want a fabulous reception with my whole family and John's whole family present (along with various friends, of course)....but to plan for something like this takes time.
Well, if it will be fabulous, count me in!
Old February 13, 2004, 23:06   #253
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:51
You're 41

I must DEFINITELY not have seen the picture in a bigger size then
Old February 13, 2004, 23:13   #254
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

It would only end up being a bigger picture of me.

And no, I don't have wrinkles (yet) but my hair is greying through-out...however, everyone tells me that the grey just makes me look sexy. I don't care if my hair turns purple - as long as it doesn't fall out!
Old February 13, 2004, 23:15   #255
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Emperor Fab, when we have all of our plans in place, you'll be first on the guest list!
Old February 13, 2004, 23:20   #256
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
How exactly would it corrode any marriages?
Very fair question. In my analogy, I argue that marriage being a contract denies the connection between men and women who get married ought to continue after the marriage. That you can flip a switch off and on between marriage and not marriage.

This change now removes any concept of marriage with respect to gender roles. You are changing the very nature of the connection. I can see plenty of confusion, as to what would be expected, from the husband and the wife, and how they are to live with one another.

You also deny that there are differences between men and women, and that these differences not only should be respected, but embraced. Husbands will get frusterated with wives, and wives with husbands as to why they act differently, then the way in which they expect.

Quote:
And why would other people embrace the philosophy, treating marriage as anything less than they do now?
Why? Because they are good liberals. They do not want to offend anybody by saying anything different, from what they are told. The cost to them, is that they have less justification for affirming their own decision to get married, and to stay married.

Quote:
You admit that it wouldn't change your opinions on it, why would it change others?
Why wouldn't it change mine? Because I draw my comfort from other sources than secular society. Those who do not, would find it much more difficult to maintain their convictions, given the current hostile climate to these ideas.

Quote:
I can unequivocably tell you that whether or not I get married and how I treat a marriage has absolutely nothing to do with how the government views them from a legal perspective.
How do you view marriage, then? Why would you want to get married? What expectations would you have for your partner?

Quote:
Well, I'm not arguing a libertarian position like LoA, but it's still a non-starter. Most of those benefits are built in to the government recognizing the contract and/or the contract itself. (survivorship, implied POA, visitation rights, etc).
Yeah, or so we would think. But that's not going to be enough to refute the libertarian position, that question of why have any benefits surrounding marriage whatsoever?
Old February 13, 2004, 23:50   #257
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

Why?

Well, we are already registered as Domestic Parners with the State of California (for what good that does), but if we were to get married (and yes, we both want to), we need time to plan for it. We don't want a rush job.

So, even though in my earlier posts, I stated that I don't care if they call my union between my partner and I a "marriage" or something else....I was not being fully honest with myself and Starchild's earlier post helped me to open my eyes to the entire issue at hand (ie, seperate but unequal).

Any how, John and will be married (laws allowing), but after being together for almost 14 years (hows that for a dating period!), we want and need the time to plan for our special day.

I don't want the entire process to end up being a rush job, that's all.
Old February 13, 2004, 23:56   #258
Kontiki
King

That's just....whoa....don't even know where to begin....confusion over gender roles? Difficult to maintain convictions?

Does this stuff actually make sense to you?

Yikes.....
Old February 14, 2004, 00:29   #259
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 03:51
Quote:

What? It's a picture of a 41 year old gay man...are you telling me that my picture doesn't look like a 41 year old straight man?

But I understand your post Spiffor, thanks for the compliment!
Hmm. I'll be 41 on February 26th, and we'll have been together 20 years in November.

Of course I put my youthful good looks down to having an Irish Rose complexion- think Jane Seymour but with stubble, and male bits and no breasts and a skinhead haircut, and a boxer's build, and you're almost there.

It's beneficial to have a parent with red hair- while all those othert folks dash into the sun at the first opportunity I'm slathered in sunblock and they end up looking like crocodile skin luggage.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 14, 2004, 00:34   #260
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
This change now removes any concept of marriage with respect to gender roles. You are changing the very nature of the connection. I can see plenty of confusion, as to what would be expected, from the husband and the wife, and how they are to live with one another.

You also deny that there are differences between men and women, and that these differences not only should be respected, but embraced. Husbands will get frusterated with wives, and wives with husbands as to why they act differently, then the way in which they expect.
Ah....I see Ben's reasoning. Women should be bare-foot and pregnent in the kitchen while the Man is the lord of his house and his rule is law. Of course, why didn't I think this all through?!

And why should this be so? Because, by God, this is the the way that it has always been!

But now with homosexuals wanting to start their own "families," this will put into ruin the enire basis of marriage and the heterosexual's roll of the expectations of a husband and a wife....

Please Ben. Give it a rest. How we live our lives should have no barring as to how you live yours.

Now that I think more on it - Are you actually saying that you are threatend by us?!?
Old February 14, 2004, 00:47   #261
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 03:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Yes it's been downhill since they did away with the concept that a wife was her husband's property or chattel (from which we derive the word cattle).

Of course these days, what with them working and voting, all sorts of nonsense gets into their heads that wouldn't if they were chained to the kitchen sink or handcuffed to the bedposts.

Some of them even think they can be judges, and mathematicians, and doctors, and lawyers, and lawks-a-mercy, politicians.

It's the thin end of the wedge- next they'll be allowing gay and lesbian marriages.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 14, 2004, 00:52   #262
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well put Molly!
Old February 14, 2004, 02:25   #263
gopher
Warlord

According to the AP, 665 Gay Marriges have occured in SF:
Here

665 huh? One more, and the Fundies will have quite a field day.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old February 14, 2004, 02:34   #264
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
I can see THIS case going at least to the California Supreme Court.
Old February 14, 2004, 03:23   #265
MrFun
Emperor

I think libertarians should be prohibited from marrying one another.
Old February 14, 2004, 03:32   #266
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 14:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Wittlich, you suck. I bet that Glonkie and Fez would be first on the block. Now you're going to make me lose.

Congratulations BTW.
My boyfriend is going to come over in a half hour. So don't push your luck agathon. It seems like he was in Miami because of health problems concerning his grandparents and had to leave abruptly.. now he's back and I decided I would give him another chance because of that.

Wittlich, I wish you luck with the future and if you decide to get married, I'll drink a glass... I mean a bottle of spanish wine to that!
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 14, 2004, 03:34   #267
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
It seems like he was in Miami because of health problems concerning his grandparents and had to leave abruptly.. now he's back and I decided I would give him another chance because of that.
You aren't really this gullible, are you?
Old February 14, 2004, 03:35   #268
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 14:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
It seems like he was in Miami because of health problems concerning his grandparents and had to leave abruptly.. now he's back and I decided I would give him another chance because of that.
You aren't really this gullible, are you?
That's what it was. I am pretty good at seeing whether he was lying or not, and since he was nearly in tears, I think I know what to see.

Not only that, I will be speaking to him about everything. He says it is up to me if I want to say with him.

Believe me, he is going to have to explain himself big time.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old February 14, 2004, 09:41   #269
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
That's because of secret homosexual fashion products
I've got some stuff sitting on my desk that promises to make me look 5 years younger. I don't dare touch it because there's no way in hell I want to look 15 again.

Oh and a big yay to Wittlich! Poly's first gay wedding, how exciting. It had better be fab-u-lous.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 14, 2004, 09:47   #270
mindseye
King

Local Time: 01:51
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
I like how they got an elderly female couple, one as far away from the "stereotype" as they could get.

Martin and Lyon are a very famous couple, a San Francisco institution.

Oh, and San Francisco: