Hang Tough Oerdin.
Old April 10, 2004, 01:24   #332
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Barinthus
Torture chambers?!? Have you seen those up close? It must felt strange to be in one. :shudder:
They are located on my compound though the original "equipment" has been removed as evidence by the Iraqi Ministry of Human Rights. The cells are 3ft by 4.5ft and there are no lights or air holes. They are made out of solid concrete and a solid steel door covers the entrence. When the door is closed the only light comes from a small crack at the base of the door.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 10, 2004, 02:02   #333
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:53
Creepy, Oerdin.

Sirotnikov, there was a documentary on Saddam on the History Channel. It mentioned there were three or so intelligence agencies in Iraq spying on each other. Saddam was so paranoid so he had spies spying on spies which was spying on spies.
Old April 10, 2004, 02:38   #334
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hey Oerdin do you think you guys could use some more guys to help out? I'm sure it couldn't hurt at least...

Mis Novias
Old April 10, 2004, 14:01   #335
pchang
King

Local Time: 17:53
Are you volunteering Ted?

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old April 10, 2004, 14:16   #336
Oerdin
Deity

Ted: There is always room for one more. Though if you started training now you wouldn't be ready from another 6-8 months.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 10, 2004, 14:38   #337
Oerdin
Deity

Today had it's share of ups and downs. It started with us doing an assessment for a new turkish language TV station that's being built in Kirkuk during which the owners asked us to do an interview for their first broadcast. I suspose I will have my picture on TV even if only in one of the more backwards and out of the way places.

A few of the neighbors have complained to the city council about the TV station being built in a residential neighborhood so I took the opportunity to walk around and try to get a feel for how the people really felt. I spoke with seven families, including one Assyrian Christinan family who's daughter spoke excellent English and who's mother kept asking me if I was married, and all of them voiced concerns about the station being a possible terrorist target. They felt that since they were so close to the station their property might be damaged or their family hurt in any terrorist attack. Three claimed the TV station was blocking reception to other channels (which is strange since Turkman Tv hasn't even started broadcasting yet) and two others thought they might get cancer from the television waves. Still, the security concerns are valid so when I wrote my report I recommended that hesco barrier be constructed on the street leading to the station and that grant money be allocated so the station can hire armed security guards.

The down time came when I was listening to the radio on our way back to Alpha company's safe house in Kirkuk. A truck load of guys from the IO company I often work with got hit by an IED approximately .5 miles from my compound. They were making the one mile trip between the Kirkuk Air Field and the CMOC when a buried bomb exploded on the side of the road. No one was killed but three were injured and I know and often work with all three. One suffered a blown ear drum from the explosion, another had a piece of shrapnel go through his left hand breaking several bones, and the other was hit in the head and neck by shrapnel. The last fellow had his life saved by his helmet and the kevlar neck guard which is part of our body armor.

The rest of the day was spent in the town of Amle Shobby which is located adjacent to the far west side of the Kirkuk Air Field. Amle Shobby is an entirely Sunni Arab town and most of the people moved there to take part in Saddam's Arabization campaign of the Kirkuk area. Still, the people seem friendly enough and three days ago we spoke with several leading figures in the town about refurbashing several public buildings. A Civil Affairs team had the local high school redone last summer and the place still looks nice though the elementry school was completely looted a year ago (we're talking even the glass stolen from the windows and the electrical wires riped out of the walls) and day care center is in truly sorry shape (it looks like the yard for the day care center has been turned into a village trash dump). We're trying to get CA to refurbash the elementry school and the day care center plus we'd like to see if we can't find 5-10 local businessmen to write business plans and apply for small business grants from the CPA. It's not much but its a start and maybe just maybe Amle Shobby will stay in the Coalition camp instead of joining in with the insurgents.
Old April 10, 2004, 15:06   #338
Barinthus
King

I hope your comrades will be able to recover from their injuries without any problems.

Hope the efforts to keep Amle Shobby from joing the insurgents will be successful.
Old April 10, 2004, 15:08   #339
Oerdin
Deity

Me too.
Old April 10, 2004, 15:51   #340
pchang
King

Local Time: 17:53
Try to vary your routes. Don't go the same way all the time. Have you looked into getting a cell phone jammer?

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old April 10, 2004, 15:57   #341
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 03:53
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Hey Oerdin,

I may not agree with the reasons behind the war but you seem to be doing good things over there, so keep up the good work and stay safe!
Old April 10, 2004, 17:15   #342
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
Are you volunteering Ted?
I feel bad for these guys getting blown up while I'm here safe in the USA living a spoiled life.

If there was a magic machine that would let me trade my life to bring back one of the guys with families I would do it. And that's not an exaggeration.

But the question I was asking was actually does Oerdin think he needs reinforcements or are there enough troops there already to keep the situation handled?

There was an article I read somewhere that supposedly quoted one of the Marines saying it would be nice to have some more guys to close off the escape routes. I was wondering if that was the author's spin though he was putting on it.

Mis Novias
Old April 10, 2004, 18:06   #343
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 13:53
Hey Oerdin. Has the CPA been disbursing funds at a good enough clip for the work that you are doing?

Keep up the good work.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 11, 2004, 01:17   #344
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
Try to vary your routes. Don't go the same way all the time. Have you looked into getting a cell phone jammer?
No cellphone jammers are currently available and we vary our routes as much as possible.
Old April 11, 2004, 16:59   #345
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 19:53
Recent events raise some reasons to worry. I've seen burning Abrams, burning Humvees, burning oil tankers, burning mosques, burning helicopters, everything burning, you name it...

And what's this buzz about an armistice? An armistice sounds like a better wording of US army begging for mercy? Hope you are OK, Oerdin!
Old April 11, 2004, 17:12   #346
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah right the US Army begging for mercy

By the way keep this crap out of Oerdin's thread and put it in another thread dude.

Mis Novias
Old April 11, 2004, 17:18   #347
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker

By the way keep this crap out of Oerdin's thread and put it in another thread dude.
Just looking for first-hand accounts. Do you have any better place to ask for that?
Old April 11, 2004, 17:28   #348
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
Recent events raise some reasons to worry. I've seen burning Abrams, burning Humvees, burning oil tankers, burning mosques, burning helicopters, everything burning, you name it...

And what's this buzz about an armistice? An armistice sounds like a better wording of US army begging for mercy? Hope you are OK, Oerdin!
I've heard of no armistice nor have I seen anything about burning tanks. I have heard the Marines called a halt to offensive opporations in religiously sensitive cities out of respect to the Shi'a Arbaeen holiday. That is only in certain places and as soon as the religious event is over then we will finish rooting out the armed groups in those cities.
Old April 11, 2004, 17:28   #349
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Just looking for first-hand accounts. Do you have any better place to ask for that?
Fine, so keep the heckling and trolling out of it.

Mis Novias
Old April 11, 2004, 17:30   #350
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The "burning tank" that has been referred to isn't an Abrams, it's a LAV that the Marines use that got hit by an RPG. It rattled the crew inside pretty bad.

Mis Novias
Old April 11, 2004, 17:45   #351
Last Conformist
King

Local Time: 18:53
There's apparently been a local cease-fire in Fallujah. So says various mainstream newspaper's webpages, at any rate.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok
Old April 11, 2004, 17:50   #352
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

I've heard of no armistice nor have I seen anything about burning tanks ---
BBC used the word "truce". Being a non-native in the English language, someone has to explain the difference for me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3618559.stm

The burning tank was on Swedish TV news. I guessed it broke and was hand-grenaded by its' own crew to keep it from falling into enemy hands, but Ted has other news above. It wasn't an Abrams, but an armoured vehicle, and it was killed by the guerillas.
Old April 11, 2004, 17:51   #353
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:

Fine, so keep the heckling and trolling out of it.
That's your words, not mine
Old April 11, 2004, 18:48   #354
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 13:53
Quote:
I spoke with seven families, including one Assyrian Christinan family who's daughter spoke excellent English and who's mother kept asking me if I was married

Quote:
and two others thought they might get cancer from the television waves
Wow... they're Americanized already!
Old April 11, 2004, 19:13   #355
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
---
Loosing initiative might perhaps be a more politically correct term, election year and all. But isn't it really the same thing?
Old April 11, 2004, 19:29   #356
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

See what I mean? You are TROLLING. It's disrespectful. Start your own damn thread if you want to talk about it.

Secondly you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

They are letting up because of the religious festival.

Once it's over there is going to be hell to pay.

Nice try though.

Mis Novias
Old April 11, 2004, 19:41   #357
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
See what I mean? You are TROLLING. It's disrespectful. Start your own damn thread if you want to talk about it.

Secondly you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

They are letting up because of the religious festival.

Once it's over there is going to be hell to pay.

Nice try though.
Here we go:

http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=112694
Old April 11, 2004, 19:58   #358
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Mis Novias
Old April 11, 2004, 20:03   #359
Barinthus
King

It's ok... a big difference between truce and armistice.

Well, after looking up the dictionary, they basically means the same thing. However to a native speaker of English, there are differences in the nuance among those two words that non-native speakers might not catch onto. It happens all the time. A truce tend to be regard more of a temporary situation and limited in its scope than an armistice.
Old April 12, 2004, 01:17   #360
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Conformist
There's apparently been a local cease-fire in Fallujah. So says various mainstream newspaper's webpages, at any rate.
There is a difference between a cease fire and a halt to offensive opporations. One you get to fight back when attacked and the other you don't.