Old April 21, 2004, 14:14   #421
oerdin's sis
Settler

Local Time: 09:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: A busy day
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Oerdin
As we were driving we considered going into the shi'a neighborhood to find the three guys but the captain decided engaging in possible urban combat with six men without back up in a shi'a neighborhood wouldn't be wise.

Good decision!!
Old April 21, 2004, 15:23   #422
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 19:53
Same shi'it, different day. Just 10 months left, huh? Don't be sloppy with your gear, and let's hope it doesn't turn worse. But I have my doubts about the Iraqi people's attitude.

This morning, there was a terrible terrorist act in Basra, killing about 70 civilians, among them 20 kids on their way to school. The suicide tactics and ruthlessness smells Al-Queda, but the angry crowds on my TV were accusing THE BRITS!
Old April 21, 2004, 15:54   #423
Auntie H
Settler

Local Time: 17:53
Yikes!
Is your humvee uparmoured????
Old April 21, 2004, 17:53   #424
Duvan
Settler

Just wanted to say thanks for the really intresting reports
Old April 21, 2004, 18:00   #425
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Oerdin - glad to know you're getting what appears to be at least a competent 1SG and that you folks are alrite despite those mortaring and snipering incidents. Sounds like you have at least a prudent captain.
Old April 21, 2004, 23:26   #426
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:53
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
When you hit the deck, do you take a flying leap or just drop like a sack of potatoes?
Potatoes baby. It's all about the potatoes.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 21, 2004, 23:29   #427
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Auntie H
Yikes!
Is your humvee uparmoured????
No, but supposedly they are working on it. I can only hope the new 1SG does a better job then the old 1SG.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 22, 2004, 06:10   #428
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 18:53
Re: A busy day
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I actually meet our new 1SG four years ago when I was mobilizing to go to Kosovo. He was the 1SG for the Psyop company that was going to Bosnia and he was in the infantry during Vietnam where he was awarded a Silver Star with V device for bravery under fire. He was stationed with the Brigade HQ in Baghdad but he will now move to our company's HQ in Tikrit. I think he will be a big improvement.
By the sound of it, a baboon would have been just as effective as your original 1SG - so the new incumbent should be a big improvement.

Quote:
The whole thing took maybe 60 seconds. As we were driving we considered going into the shi'a neighborhood to find the three guys but the captain decided engaging in possible urban combat with six men without back up in a shi'a neighborhood wouldn't be wise. Especially considering what has recently happened in Sadr City, Fallujah, and Najaf. Instead we radioed the location and "report of contact" into the local infantry company and left the ambush site. In Najaf the Shi'a tried to trick soldiers into a bigger ambush by firing a few rounds and getting the soldiers to move down narrow streets.
SMART MOVE! Brit slang for this is a "come on". Losing your head in combat is the last thing many do.

Quote:
As of right now I don't know if the infantry has acted on our ambush report.
Almost certainly not... if the Northern Ireland experience is anything to go on.

After a contact, the Reaction Force would loose off at anything - trees, farm animals, each other, all too often the poor buggers that had reported the contact.

It got to the stage where most units where asking for the cops (Ulster Royal Constabulary) to back them, simply because they wouldn't go apeshit and hose down the area.

Can't comment on whether the Iraqi cops are up to this yet - probably not, although for chasing down small scale ambushers they might be competent at least.

Take care Oerdin - I think of you and the rest of the folks in Iraq every day.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 22, 2004, 06:53   #429
East Street Trader
Prince

Very frightening stuff. Maybe you have taken up your allocation of being fired at for a good long time now.

When you think of all the amazing things human beings achieve by co-operating with each other in friendship it is just extraordinary that we still sometimes find ourselves striving to maim and kill fellow human beings.

Your gunners did well not to fire indiscriminately.

Good luck, Oerdin.
Old April 22, 2004, 12:08   #430
Oerdin
Deity

Pchang: He will not be demoted but he will get a letter of reprimand which means he almost certainly will never make E-9. As of right now they are moving him to the Psyop over all HQ in Baghdad's green zone where he will shuffle papers and generally be a waste of space. Sadly, that may mean his living conditions may actually improve.

Everyone else: At my father's suggestion I'm going to tell you all about the 1SG at my old Psyop company in Upland, CA. 1SG Herb was (he's now retired) a one of a kind man. He was born in Germany after WW2 to Lithuanian parents. His father fought in the Lithuanian Army against the Soviets during WW2. That meant the Lithuanians had to ally themselves with Nazi Germany but the Lithuanian people were so enraged by the Soviet invasion and occupation of their country that the decided Germany offered them the only chance they'd get to free themselves from Russian occupation. In any event as the German army retreated his family retreated with it and Herb found himself growing up in post war West Germany where the West German government had tried to resettle several Lithuanian refugees.

In the mid 60's Herb joined the US Army as a way to gain US citizenship and because he proved himself to be an exceptional soldier he applied and was accepted into the famed 3rd Special Forces Group as a Green Beret. Herb completed two combat tours in Vietnam where he was wounded and decorated several times (including a Distinguished Service Medal which is only two steps below a Congressional Medal of honor). In any event Herb rarely talked about his experiences in Vietnam but he earned all of our respect though his great leadership and how he put the soldiers first both as our 1SG and through the unit administrator's position (he held both positions).

In 2000 our unit got activated and sent to Kosovo and one day during the deployment we went to see a speech being made by General Sheffield who had been Herb's SF Captain in Vietnam. I walked with Herb up to the General and the two hugged each other like old friends (FYI NO ONE normally would ever be allowed to show such familiarity with a General). They exchanged greetings and Herb called the General "Captain Sheffield" to which the Sheffield asked if that was the proper way to address a General. Herb responded that "To me you will always be the Captain Sheffield who dressed up in a pink tootoo." and they both laughed. Then the General called to his wife and said "Honey, this is the guy I've been telling you about!" His wife asked him what he was talking about and then General Sheffield said "you know" while making stabbing motions at his crotch. His wifes face immediately lite up with recognition and she began to laugh while Herb began to turn bright red.

To this point I had just been a spectator to the whole conversation but I was now so curious as to what they were talking about that I asked. What they told me I will never forget. During Herbs first combat repell (which was just inside North Vietnam; the 3rd SF Group often went into the north or to Loas & Cambodia) they came under fire while Herb was repelling down. He was 15 ft off of the ground and Herb decided he'd just jump it rather then stick around to be shot at, unfortunately, he hit the ground right on top of a pit filled with pungee sticks (sharpened bamboo rods)! He said that after he fell the first thing he noticed was that his finger was cut but he heard the gunfire all around him so he tried to stand up so he could climb out of the pit. That's when he noticed he'd been stabbed right through the groin by a pungee stick! Dispite having 1.5 feet of bambo stabbed in his nuts herb climbed out of the hole, took part in the combat (saving one friend's life), and was later flown back to Saigon for medical treatment. That's how herb earned his DSM.

I have many other stories about herb but right now I think you all have gotten a feel about what sort of man makes a great 1SG. Herb really was the best.
Old April 22, 2004, 12:26   #431
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
OW!
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 22, 2004, 12:33   #432
Last Conformist
King

Local Time: 18:53
That's something to tell the grandchildren!

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok
Old April 22, 2004, 12:40   #433
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Too... much... information... :Ouch:
Old April 22, 2004, 12:42   #434
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Conformist
I think something like that might preclude the ability to have grandchildren.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 22, 2004, 12:51   #435
Barinthus
King

Whoa, definitely a kind of man I would want in my unit if I was in one.

Re: Lithuanians - Romanians were the same. A friend's father was a child during WWII in Romania and I enjoyed hearing his stories. He said that Romanians preferred Germans to the Soviets back then due to their different approaches to civilians (other than 'undesirables,' that is).
Old April 22, 2004, 14:10   #436
Auntie H
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Conformist
You are assuming he was able to father children after that!!!
Old April 22, 2004, 14:38   #437
Oerdin
Deity

herb never had children though he did get married to a nice black woman.
Old April 22, 2004, 14:59   #438
Theben
Deity

I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old April 22, 2004, 16:36   #439
Chemical Ollie
King

That guy had balls (for a while)
Old April 22, 2004, 18:40   #440
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Fortunately the Iraqis don't use tiger traps.
Old April 24, 2004, 18:07   #441
Stuie
King

Bump for an update, please!
Old April 24, 2004, 19:54   #442
Hueij
Emperor

Maybe a dumb question, but what is a 1SG?

When I was in the army (1975/76) our platoon sergeant (sp?) was a Korean War veteran and he had to put up with all these young career officers, knowing that he would never surpass them in rank. He was the only professional soldier I had any respect for...
Old April 24, 2004, 20:25   #443
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij
Maybe a dumb question, but what is a 1SG?
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Sergeant
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 24, 2004, 20:29   #444
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Sergeant
That site sucks in Opera

But thanks, so the guy Oerdin was talking about was something like the guy I was talking about. A vet that has to put up with career officers for the rest of his professional life. Sad really...
Old April 24, 2004, 20:59   #445
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij

That site sucks in Opera
Sorry.

Quote:
But thanks
NP
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 26, 2004, 23:26   #446
Oerdin
Deity

Latest news.
Here is the latest news. Last Friday the dinning hall on base officially stopped serving lunch and cut back on what's available for breakfest on the grounds that Kellog, Brown, and Root (a subsidary of Hallburton) was having difficulty getting supply shipments from Europe. You'd figure that since Hallburton is charging $20 for breakfest and lunch ($25 for dinner) they'd want to bend over backwards to keep their facility open, but, I guess not. There are all sorts of rumors floating around some say Hallburton gets paid a fixed amount so if they don't deliver some of the meals then their profit goes up, others claim that Hallburton got fined for over charging the Army and so agreed to provide "free" meals for a certain period to cover the over charge. That means that if meals aren't served during that period or if the meals are smaller then ussual then Hallburton gets to walk Scot-free. I'm not sure I believe any of the rumors but I thought I'd report them just the same.

In other news one of our teams has returned after one month in Najaf. I have no reason to doubt their word but if things are as bad as they say they are then Iraq is much worse off then I've so far observed. The team spent 20 hours convoying to Najaf from Kirkuk with the 1-14 infantry and during that time they hit 6 different IED traps including one trap that consisted of 10(!!!!!) IEDs daizy chained togeather so that they would staff the whole convoy. After they got to Najaf they were involved in a two day long running gun battle with Sadr's militia which is bad enough but the worst is how the politicians handled the whole event. It seems President Bush and donald Rumsfield have taken a personal interest and so they are micromanaging the battle from back in Washington. They over ruled field officers and set up a "red zone" in Najaf where soldiers cannot fire into even if they are fired upon. Of course Sadr's forces quickly figured out where these red zone was and then began shooting at the soldiers from their new safe area. Even if an enemy troop column was spotted outside of the redzone they still had to get the local Marine General's permission to engage before they could open fire.

What the hell happened to Bush's promise that soldiers would be able to defend themselves when fired upon? Why they hell do they need a general to ok a target when it is obviously enemy forces? This whole thing stinks like President Johnson's micromanaging of the Vietnam war. Soldiers need to be free to defend themselves and local area commanders need to take advantage of targets of opportunity as they become available. The politicians simply need to set goals and then sit back and let the military proffessionals decide how best to achieve them. We should not let draft dodgers and people with no military experience condicend that they know better then people who have studied and trained for their whole lives on the subject and who are actually located right where events are occuring.

EDITED

Last edited by Oerdin; April 27, 2004 at 07:36.
Old April 26, 2004, 23:31   #447
Barinthus
King

Someone posted a quote from Sun Tzu in some other thread which said it all... to win a war, military needs to be free of political meddlings. Too bad battlefield commanders can't say screw you to the administration and do what's best but that's the price we pay for a military that answers completely to our civilian government which is a good thing in the long run. Hopefully Bush will wake up and let right people take over.
Old April 26, 2004, 23:34   #448
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Latest news.
EDITED

removed nude pictures of AH

Mis Novias

Last edited by Ted Striker; April 27, 2004 at 23:48.
Old April 27, 2004, 00:50   #449
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Oerdin,

I couldn't agree more with what you say. The condition is fubar and it is getting guys killed. But I can say that; you can't. We don't need for you to get court martialed for speaking about the CiC. Please change the wording of your post so you are not subject to UCMJ hassles. And keep your head down. Please.

Monk
Old April 27, 2004, 02:03   #450
Barinthus
King

mmmm I wonder if the first amendment applies to those in military? Surely he can voice his opinions as long it's at an appriorate time (not under fire or whatever) and as long he's still following orders.