Old February 15, 2004, 21:31   #1
Lansing
Settler

Local Time: 17:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'd like to play games against more AI opponents...is this possible in Civ Conquests?
Hiya,

I am brand new here, and this is a really fantastic site/forum!

Looking through the FAQs and so on, there was some mention on modifying the .biq file to allow me to play against more AI opponents on the various map sizes (like 16 opponents on a small map). I really want to do this!

However, I tried modifying the file as was suggested, but when I tried to save conquests.biq, it said it was a read-only file. This, of course, was really disspointing, as I had visions of large scale warfare on very small worlds swimming through my head.

Can anyone help, or is this even possible? I'd like to be able to start up new games and choose more opponents, and not just make my own worlds to accomodate my preference for many opponents.

Thanks!
Old February 15, 2004, 21:56   #2
Lansing
Settler

Neeeeeevermind, I figured it out

YAY!
Old February 15, 2004, 22:36   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
welcome to 'poly

playing against 31 opponents is a blast (until it slows waaaaaaayyyyyyyy down on my machine)

Old February 15, 2004, 23:06   #4
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 09:59
small maps with lots of opponents are great! I never played small with 31 though... i wonder how it is, or maybe even 31 civs on tiny?
Old February 15, 2004, 23:08   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
small maps with lots of opponents are great! I never played small with 31 though... i wonder how it is, or maybe even 31 civs on tiny?
crazy. I tried it in PTW. IIRC some civs didn't even have enough room to plant their settler.
Old February 16, 2004, 01:40   #6
lethe
Warlord

I'm having a blast playing a standard sized map with 31 civs. Took some time to get lebensraum, but now it seems the rest of the game is just mopping up.

I think many AI's actually make it easier. 10+ civs paying me 120gpt each, and the rest whatever they have for the same techs. I've got such a devastating tech lead in the early industrial that they at best end up one less tech down on me.

Just go to Civfanatics to get this great mod.

It's sure fun once in a while.
Old February 16, 2004, 16:50   #7
Sovereign
Prince

31 AI's on a Tiny map?

That reminds me of Sudden Death or a Ladder Match.

I think I'll try that out later this week.
Old February 16, 2004, 19:20   #8
Lansing
Settler

Oh my, 31 Civs on a tiny or small map is FUN.

F-U-N!
Old February 16, 2004, 19:26   #9
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 18:59
Doesn't the tech development happen alot faster than usual?

The new iPod nano: nano
Old February 16, 2004, 20:58   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:59
The factor for tiny maps is 160, for std it is 240. So research should be much faster, all other things being equal.

They are not equal though. One item is the increased number of civs and the lowering of of available tiles for each one.

Also you now will have all science civs in the game, so the lowering of the shared cost will get civs to the next age quicker.
This means sci civs get their free tech.
Old February 17, 2004, 10:43   #11
lethe
Warlord

There just plain is no tech hoarding. Once you discover a tech just sell it to everyone able to pay anything even resembling a decent amount for it. Because if an AI discovers it next turn it will be sold to everyone who can pay, and is then so devalued it will be sold to most of the rest.

Playing an archipelago map slows down contacts some, then atleast not everyone will know everyone else before Printing Press, but there sure won't be all that many contacts left to aquire.

This isn't a builders game though. Atleast not until you have kicked all the squatters off your continent. You probably shouldn't even wait to see if you have iron, just archer rush your first neighbour. It's not like you'll plant more than 2-3 cities before you have to rush someone.

In my second game now, and still not even a sign of a KAI. I've had well over 40 cities in both games, and no AI has belly crawled over 10. Before nationalism everyone was 'merely' in rolling wars against 1-2 opponents. Now you'd be hard pressed to find a single civ who is not in atleast 4-5 wars. I've never played such an active naval game.
Old February 17, 2004, 20:53   #12
Lansing
Settler

Amazing level of strategy required when there are 31 civs. It's a totally different game like this. I am playing on demi, and cannot win unless I save-cook it hugely.
Old February 19, 2004, 17:32   #13
Sovereign
Prince

Which maps do you think would be more fun for 31 AI's...

Archiaplego

Contient

Pangea
Old February 19, 2004, 17:43   #14
Lansing
Settler

Archipelago usually gives you an advantage, as there are often civs right next to you. They are so close that they don't plant colonies, and often you can get 4-6 workers right after your first warrior just by killing them. So that's sort of fun. However, archi worlds are constantly at war, so if you're a builder, don't bother. Just conquering your own island is tough enough, nevermind the rest of them.

Pangea is basically all out war too. Continents is the best builder world. They're both really fun though! You must be very careful to protect your borders.

I now play on a cooked Sid level. I don't give them any advantages to start, but let them have everything else on Sid. Makes for a fun game.
Old February 19, 2004, 17:57   #15
tj1974
Settler

Local Time: 11:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Lansing
Neeeeeevermind, I figured it out

YAY!
You couldn't let me in on the secret could you?

Is it just a case of modifying the attributes within 'properties' of the *.biq file to uncheck the read-only box??
Old February 19, 2004, 21:10   #16
Lansing
Settler

Yup, that's the secret/