Local Date: November 2, 2010
Building Bridges Turn Tracking Thread
Building Bridges

Gaians: dataaelous aeolusdata at yahoo.com
Hive: irgy irgy_ at hotmail.com
University : Provost Walek alewalek at wp.pl
Spartans: martin mart7x5 marcin777 at hotmail.com
Believers : Brother binTravkin ivantravkin at hotmail.com

Parameters : large planet, all victories, Look First, No Unity Survey, tech stagnation.

"It is the finding of this tribunal that you are guilty of conspiring to commit mutiny against the legitimate authorities of the United Nations Ship Unity, and you will be refrozen until such time as the colony on Alpha Centauri is well established and can offer the appropriate treatment for you and your followers to be reintegrated into a peaceful society. This Court is now adjourned."

Five times this sentence was read out, and five groups and their leaders were all put back into suspended animation. The conspiracy uncovered by Nwabudike Morgan, and the tribunals carried out by the Captain, with Commissioner Previn Lal as the chief prosecutor, guaranteed a relatively peaceful and auspicious start to the colonizing efforts in the Alpha Centauri system.
Official history of the founding of Centauri Colony, 2010 - by Commissioner Previn Lal.

"Lady Diedre, thank the earth mother you're awake," Laura said urgently as she took off the Oxygen mask. Laura had volunteered to stay on the ship to tend the internees, as the refrozen vicitims of the trumped up tribunals had been euphamistically termed. Maybe that paramilitary nut Santiago, or the authoritarian creep Sheng-Ji Yang had been guilty of it, but Lady Diedre had just been assembling supplies in case the fanatics managed to scrub the mission. She'd been innocent! Laura injected Diedre with a stimulant, bad procedure but they had to hurry.

Diedre snapped awake, as the uppers coursed through her veins. "What's going on, why am I awake?"

"Some nutcase follower of Godwinson figured out how to get her loose, and bypass all the security interlocks."

Diedre got up, noticing the darkened room and the glow of emergency lights. She heard this creaking, and then sheering noise. "What did he or she do?"

Laura noddeed approval, Lady Diedre always used gender neutral language, no matter what. Laura started dragging her toward the escape pod. "The idiot placed explosives in various critical parts of the ship. When they went off, the emergency evacuation protocol came on, and unfroze everybody."

Diedre shook her head. She'd set up the security interlocks, but she'd never anticipated someone deliberately destroying the ship to get someone loose. Clever, simple and staightfoward if you were willing to take the risk.

As she followed Laura her mind wandered, remembering the kangaroo court when they frozed her. She hadn't expected that misogynist Previn to set her up as well for his power grab. She wasn't sure any more who had been in a conspiracy, and who had been set up. Time enough to sort that out when the got to planet's surface.

They entered the escape pod. Diedre looked around. She walked up to the receiver for the colony's homing beacon, and turned it off. "We aren't going to the main colony, they'll have us in cells before we can climb out. Let's use the emergency lander, set it for auto - secondary site selection. That was put there so if there was an emergency landing, we'd have mutliple landings and a better chance for humanity. Since we know Lal took the best location, this guarantees he won't get his grubby hands on us."

She felt and heard the emergency seperation charges fire, seperating the pod from the Unity. Down to planet, with the basic survival gear in an escape pod, while all the good equipment was already at the main colony. There had been so much of it! She didn't know how, and she didn't know when, but of one thing she was certain. Previn would regret it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Mr. Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 07:03   #2
Walek
Prince

Local Time: 19:03
Ok we wait for first turn.
Walek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 08:09   #3
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:03
..hhm.. interesting story..

Thanx for CMNing Shawn!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
binTravkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 08:31   #4
Irgy
Warlord

Local Time: 04:03
Local Date: November 3, 2010
looking good : )

who's got the first turn? I'm guessing it's the Gaians from the story?

Irgy
Irgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 12:52   #5
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:03
Yeah I think it's a safe guess I'm first. I'm excited .

Unfortunately I'm at work right now so it'll be a while before I can start :/. I promise you guys the second I'm home is the second I'm booting up my computer.
Old February 18, 2004, 04:32   #6
Barinthus
King

Ugh, I bet you guys won't like me very much now - I've been unable to figure how to load the save file I got. I kept getting on this loading error message. Emailed Shawn re: this. Open to any ideas although.

EDIT: this is my first time at PBEMing so it might be something so obvious and duh to you but not to me
Old February 18, 2004, 04:50   #7
Irgy
Warlord

It isn't that you've got a different version or something? If the savegame was from a more recent version you'd probably get an error like that...

Irgy
Old February 18, 2004, 05:48   #8
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Path is Multiplayer\Hotseat-PBEM\Load Multiplayer Game

If doesnt work, try downloading newest patch from http://www.firaxis.com
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old February 18, 2004, 11:02   #9
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 14:03
No - it's the CMN's fault, he saved the game in SMAX. Before getting into PBEM all I played was SMAX, so my desktop shortcut is SMAX. I keep accidently clicking and forgetting I'm in the wrong game. Corrected and resent.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Mr. Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 12:06   #10
binTravkin
Emperor

Im out for weekend now,my turn will take place next monday
Old February 18, 2004, 22:51   #11
Barinthus
King

Chairman Irgy, the ball's in your court now Turn passed.
Old February 19, 2004, 02:26   #12
Irgy
Warlord

OK, done my first turn, it all worked I think : )

Passed it on to Provost Walek - if you haven't got an email yet let me know

Irgy

Last edited by Irgy; February 19, 2004 at 04:31.
Old February 19, 2004, 07:59   #13
Walek
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by binTravkin
Im out for weekend now,my turn will take place next monday
I hope this very long weekends (from wensday to monday) is rare thing not usual.

2101 to Spartans.
Second load because i forgot the pas, i tryed 3 times and after 4 i hit it and write it somwhere.

I have question why i didn't recive email that sombody write here a letter?? In almost all games i play i get inforrmation that sombody write somthing in the thread but not here?
Old February 19, 2004, 13:20   #14
Barinthus
King

Ok, I'm brand new to PBEMs. How do we negiotate? I mean, I noticed that we have each other's comlinks but that's kind of useless, perhaps? So how do we conduct tech trade, Pact negiotations and so on?
Old February 19, 2004, 13:32   #15
Walek
Prince

We negotiate via email, in comlink, by phone if you wish or many, many other methods like hmm letter ok ok joking
But only when we find or buy contact to otther facions or met it in the game.
To be sure that evrything is ok You must change this line in alpha.txt this line is about 2 pages down. You must write 0 istead of 1
there is :
1, ; If non-zero, humans can always contact each other in net games

must be:
0, ; If non-zero, humans can always contact each other in net games
Old February 20, 2004, 01:41   #16
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 20:03
2101 to Believers
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 20:11   #17
Barinthus
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Walek
But only when we find or buy contact to otther facions or met it in the game.
I surmise that 'contact' is actually the comlink 'number'? I already have all of yours except for AIs so I suppose I'll have to pretend that I don't have yours until our units meet or I was able to buy a comlink number?

If that's the case, how do I buy a comlink number via here/AIM/phone/letter ? Do we notify shawnmmrc who will then make adjustments in the game?

And how do we actually trade tech? I mean - if we agreed to trade my Tech X for your Tech Y, how wonderful and dainty! However this isn't in-game. How do we translate our agreement into the game reality?
Old February 20, 2004, 20:53   #18
Irgy
Warlord

To trade tech in game:

First, during your turn, open up a comm link and add your side of the deal, then click 'end transmission'

Then, during their turn, a comm link opens up in which they can add their half of the deal, and click the accept button.

Finally, during your turn, if you agree with what they've offered, click accept and the transfer will take place

The reason you have everyone's commlinks is because you need to change the number in alpha.txt that Walek was talking about. If you set it to 0 you won't have anyone's commlink until you find them in game. I recommend doing that asap because until you do you won't be able to buy the commlinks off the AI players.

In actual fact, you don't want to change the line Walek mentions but the one below it, which says "hotseat/email games" instead of "net games".

To try it out just make a new pbem/hotseat game with two players and have a go : )

Irgy
Old February 21, 2004, 02:28   #19
Walek
Prince

heh you right next line too
Old February 21, 2004, 05:29   #20
Barinthus
King

Ah, Irgy, that really clarify it up for me. Thanks!

And yes I'll be sure to change my .txt before I start my next turn.
Old February 22, 2004, 00:10   #21
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 20:03
I will be travelling for the next five days and i may have hindered access to the internet. I will attempt to check mail at least once a day.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2004, 11:54   #22
binTravkin
Emperor

Turn sent To DataAeolus

------------------------------------
God bless you all my brothers and sisters! Awaken from our cryocells we have found a promised land! Let Lord God guide us through this Garden of Eden so nothing could stand in our way! As He has said in the very beggining - "grow and replicate!"...
Let us grow and replicate here, on this virgin planet!

--"And The Lord Spoke To Me"
--Brother Ivan binTravkin
--Datalinks

------------------------------------
This planet is a miracle for it gives us holy signs!
This artifact should be an example how almighty The Lord is!

--Transmission from 1st Believer Scout Corps
--Crusader Chiekurz, The Leader of 1st Scout Corps
--Datalinks
Old February 23, 2004, 22:07   #23
Barinthus
King

Chairman Irgy, the turn is yours.
Old February 23, 2004, 22:16   #24
Barinthus
King

Oh I almost forgot, binTravkin, I had to download WinRAR in order to be able to access to the file you emailed me.

Normally I don't mind but it seems that the version I downloaded is good for 40 days only then after that I'd have to purchase it. I wouldn't want to purchase this program so unless you know of any version that's free, could you please use some other program instead?

Thanks!
Old February 24, 2004, 03:23   #25
binTravkin
Emperor

I think, Mart had an url for free RAR

I can compress the file as ZIP,but it will be almost 3times bigger..
Old February 24, 2004, 03:26   #26
binTravkin
Emperor

Go there for free RAR:

http://www.nathanm.com/en/
Old February 24, 2004, 04:18   #27
Barinthus
King

Thanks, appericate it
Old February 24, 2004, 08:01   #28
Irgy
Warlord

2102 to Uni
Old February 24, 2004, 20:15   #29
Walek
Prince

2102 to Spartans
Old February 25, 2004, 06:20   #30
binTravkin
Emperor

Its comin,its comin to me!