Old June 29, 2000, 14:18   #1
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Looking for dedicated players...
Dedicated players (not to be interpreted as ultimate civilization Gods ) wanted for regular civ sessions.

DaveV and myself currently play one hour each day during Dave's lunch hour, which is 12.00 Eastern Daylight Time Zone (= 17.00 GMT = one hour ahead of Apolyton time, hope I got that right!). I know for sure though that it's 18.00 PM my time (Sweden).

We usually (up until now, anyway) play 1x1 and no city bribe, other than that I think we're pretty flexible. We play on different difficulty and barb levels, and have also tried a no wonders game.

We try to play that single hour five days a week, but sometimes reality strikes. The advantage of being more players is that two or three can always start a new game when one is absent. That way we are not dependent on every player showing up every session. Those who are there simply pick up a game with that constellation of players.

Furthermore, Dave beats the crap out of me every game so I need someone to ally with...

Four players and one hour sounds like a rough deal, but (I'm speaking for myself here) I have no problem with double production to speed things up. Also, I have a decent connection (moderate lag and no disconnections).

If you want to join post here or ICQ me at 45251833.

Carolus

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited June 29, 2000).]</font>
Old June 29, 2000, 15:57   #2
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

I would like to join your game. I like proposed time. If you guys are willing to keep your game going,you can definitelly count on me.
My only problem is that i only play on Deity level and single movement. I don't care about production type or barbarian level.

I propose 3 players,no alliances(it unbalances 3-players game),no tech trading(stealing is allowed),no city bribe(it minorising conventional warfare),but i am open to negotiate about all features except Deity and single movement.

If that suits you,am looking forward to play you. How about tomorrow?

------------------
No i ain't doing much,doing nothing means alot to me (AC/DC)
Old June 29, 2000, 18:22   #3
88keys
Settler

Local Time: 23:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I would be into something like this, except that I cannot make it at 12:00EST. I am on the West Coast, so I could play either at 4:00-5:00pm EST (my lunch hour) or at 7:00-8:00pm EST. If anyone wants a game at those times, lemme know! E-mail me at adam.kummins@abc.com
Old June 29, 2000, 20:07   #4
Carolus Rex
Emperor

88keys,

I think we have to stick with that time, but I'm always looking for a game... Maybe we can get one going!? It's 3 AM over here, I'll have to figure out the time zone difference later, too tired now...

SmartFart,

Great! I have no problem whatsoever with your suggestions. I don't play double movement either and we mostly play on deity, so it should be right up your alley!

Tomorrow is fine, but Dave told me today that he'll be 20-30 minutes late. But we can fire up a duel while waiting for him...

Carolus
Old June 29, 2000, 22:50   #5
SmartFart
King

Fine. I'll be online on 18:00 CET and we will work something out i believe.
I might have tournament game later so am not sure about duel,but it seems like tourney game slowly fades into oblivion and we may start one after Dave's gaming hour expires.

Starting a duel which is going to lasts 20-30 mins doesn't make sense to me. In most new games i keep up restarting half an hour to eliminate free tech(s).

Regards.
SF
Old June 30, 2000, 19:29   #6
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:05
My lunch time is 12 - 1 EDT too, and I am interested in the idea. But I will have to find out if my office LAN will permit it. They hate non-system .exe files on the LAN.

I've been playing civ at work (during lunch) using a special CD I made that lets me play without having any files on the local or LAN drive, but I'm not sure what would be seen if I use the IP connection. And I'm not sure if it is the MPE files on the CD.

Any hints from the underground?
Old July 1, 2000, 00:12   #7
Carolus Rex
Emperor

We're off!

See you guys Wednesday, but I'll be here on Monday too if someone wants to play.

Carolus
Old July 1, 2000, 01:10   #8
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 18:05
How about some renderings from IS when we catch you? Especially if you accidently introduce a virus or worm to the system.

Ken
Old July 7, 2000, 14:40   #9
SmartFart
King

Early barbarian rides slowed my expansion. Finding Warrior Code in the hut forced me to skip Horseback Riding until Monarchy.
Map looking terrible for x1 production game,but Archers fortified on mountains are great bait for barbarian leaders. Now when i am prepared,they stopped comming
Dave jumped up in PG,so i have to build more cities.
150 barb $ already used,but terrain problem remains. Swamps,jungles and lakes. I almost consider grasslans as a special in this one.

------------------
No i ain't doing much,doing nothing means alot to me (AC/DC)
Old July 8, 2000, 00:25   #10
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:05
Game update as of 1200 BC. I just built Hanging Gardens; no other wonders yet. A nicely paced game so far (except the day when I could barely connect).

Vikings = Carolus Rex
Aztecs = SmartFart
Americans = DaveV

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited July 07, 2000).]</font>
Old July 10, 2000, 05:50   #11
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Amen on the terrain, SF!

Cool pic! I wonder if posting it has anything to do with Dave being in the lead?

Last session was decent for me, more than doubled my number of cities. BUT, I lost one of them in the final turns to barbs... AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

It was a size one city on hills, it had peat and it produced five shields. I built a warrior that I sent out to explore. Couldn't be risky, right? In two turns I'll have another one in it, right? WRONG!!!

A barb ship pops up, one archer lands outside the city and the other on the peat square. No new warrior in the city, which now has the same colour as the city in "High Plains Drifter" with Clint Eastwood: red!

Oh well...

See you soon!

Carolus
Old July 10, 2000, 07:40   #12
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

CR - no, I'd have posted even if I weren't in front on the PG (which most people dismiss as meaningless anyway ). I just wanted to be part of one of those cool "tales from..." threads.

I've had very good luck so far this game - I've seen exactly one barb, and had good results from huts. The map is certainly full of swamp/jungle, but I've found some acceptable city sites. I guess I'm overdue for some bad luck...
Old July 10, 2000, 14:08   #13
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

SF - strange that you're having trouble with light blue barbarians - I've been seeing a lot of yellow barbarians! They even seem to have settlers!

I think a lot of huts must have drowned in the lakes on this map - I've only found 4 or 5 so far. After bragging about the barbs ignoring me, I popped a barb horse out of a hut and had a horse killed by a barb archer.
Old July 11, 2000, 00:57   #14
SmartFart
King

I forgot to say...Barb cities are free to bribe.

Sooo tipical. When i have nothing but warriors i have barbs all over my screen. Once i have Archers ready,they simply choose someone else
It can't be coincidence. It always happen to me. Haven't seen a single one after i grabbed one leader,except some disguised in light blue color

You guys really cleared the place from the huts. I've found only 2. Non-Archer and Warrior Code. I just hope some barbs will arrive soon.
Old July 12, 2000, 00:15   #15
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

As of 725 BC, nothing new on the WoW front. SmartFart just discovered Philosophy.

Old July 14, 2000, 11:35   #16
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Soon time for kick-off!

"The evil Americans have completed another wonder which they refer to as Sun Tzu's War Academy. Viking wise men have never heard of such a thing before, but find that the name has a certain, eh..., aggressive ring to it.

Meanwhile the mysterious people known as the Aztecs has built the Pyramids, leaving the Vikings as the only civilization without wonders of the world."

Hm... What to build? It doesn't seem to be a world with lots of water... I want a happy wonder, but have chosen another tech path...

Hm...

Carolus
Old July 14, 2000, 13:11   #17
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Status report as of 300 BC. More building and consolidation (yawn). The forecast for Washington: mostly sleazy with a chance of wonders .

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited July 14, 2000).]</font>
Old July 18, 2000, 21:37   #18
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

CR and SF - as I said earlier, I'm in the first of two weeks on the road. This week I have an irregular schedule, but next week I should have some (US) evening hours available. Also, I'm flying into Buffalo early, and should be able to play from 13:00 EDT for several hours on Monday, July 24th. This is conditional on me being able to connect to the internet from my hotel room.

So here's my offer: if my flight is on time, and if the hotel lets me check in early, and if my internet connection works, I'm available! How's that for a solid commitment?
Old July 18, 2000, 22:28   #19
SmartFart
King

Err...whats EDT? Could you translate it for me into EST? Time zones are pain,i wish the Earth is flat.
Monday,24th could work for me but i need precise time.
Old July 19, 2000, 04:48   #20
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Count me in!

Me too confused about time zones, me too needs help. [A lazy man's rephrasing of "Yes, I have the link provided by Sten Sture, but why bother when you can ask someone else?" ]

This game is pretty much like my life at the moment: aimless, a random walk.

HELP, I need a strat!!!

BTW, I liked the weather report...

Carolus
Old July 19, 2000, 21:02   #21
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

More than you ever wanted to know about US time zones: EDT is Eastern Daylight time, which jumps an hour ahead in the spring & summer. Some locations don't believe in Daylight Savings Time, and remain on Eastern Standard Time year-round.

I used to refer to Apolyton time, but that's been kind of variable lately . As of this posting, EDT is one hour ahead of Apolyton time. I think 13:00 EDT is 20:00 for both of you. Another explanation: 13:00 EDT is when I have to quit my regular lunchtime sessions and go back to work.

I'll be on ICQ on the 24th if all goes well. If I'm not there, assume something went wrong and I can't make it.
Old July 20, 2000, 16:49   #22
SmartFart
King

Unfortunatelly,monday is no good for me. I had 2 weeks off and too much of work have been acumulated during that time.
I can afford few hours on weekends,but when you finish your trip i'll be available to play regular every day at 18:00 - 19:00 CET.

SF

Day 5 without a Civ
Old July 25, 2000, 03:47   #23
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Hm, I figure you couldn't get on-line from the hotel room?

I can't make it tonight (Tuesday), though.

Carolus
Old July 25, 2000, 14:44   #24
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I was able to get online, but didn't arrive at the hotel until 16:00 instead of 13:00. Sorry...
Old July 26, 2000, 10:39   #25
Carolus Rex
Emperor

No problem.

Game today?

Carolus
Old July 27, 2000, 18:35   #26
Carolus Rex
Emperor

As if these two weeks were not enough I'm gone next week...

Will be back Saturday the 5th and ready to pick up our game on Monday the 7th.

Carolus
Old July 27, 2000, 19:14   #27
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

The tale of woe continues: I'll be gone the 7th through the 9th of August. I'll be back on the 10th. Your turn to declare your unavailbility, SmartFart...
Old July 31, 2000, 11:51   #28
SmartFart
King

If everything goes well,am going to my summer vacation on Aug,15th. I will have my laptop with me and therefore I'll be available to 1 hour sessions most of my weekdays. Wife wont be pleased so I have to start negotiating ASAP.

Cya on Aug,10th
Old August 1, 2000, 11:32   #29
Civmew2

Looks like you people won't be playing for awhile. I would volunteer to play, but the game's already started. Maybe after your finished (When'll that be? When we have to worry about Y3K?).
I mean it, though. Once you're finished with your game, I'd like to have my very FIRST Multiplayer game. The AI is getting just too easy. If it doesn't work out, I'm okay with it.

Old August 4, 2000, 07:37   #30
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Fine with me (only speaking for myself here)!

I don't know when we finish the current game, but Y3K sounds about right...

Stay tuned!

Carolus