Old February 18, 2004, 11:32   #1
MqsTout
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
SGLs & custom tech trees
I don't do much editing, but I've read a lot about people making their on tech trees, sometimes having custom techs for certain civs or having a civ with entirely its own tech tree.

Other than Civ3 having to be "kludged" into making these possible (by giving a free tech), this wasn't a 'problem' in PTW.

However, I am thinking about this in C3C. With the advent of SGLs, would not each of these one-civ-only techs count as "first discovered" in terms of creating an SGL?
MqsTout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 14:23   #2
MqsTout
Chieftain

I just threw together a test scenario, made up a tree of techs named 1-0, Each tech had the previous as a prereq, and had the 'cannot be traded' 'not required for era advance' flags set. 2-0 were "Ancient" era and 1 was "none". I also lowered the minimum turns to 1 just to hasten my testing.

I assigned tech 1 as a starting tech to a scientific civ, and ran through it in a game with preserve random off just in case. I researched 2-7 and I was starting to wonder. Then, with tech 8, a SGL appeared.

So, is it possible, I wonder, to set a tech so it does not trigger a SGL? If people try to create custom tech trees, SGLs would probably have to be disabled if they can't be, else there would be an unusual number of them.

I know techs from goody huts can't generate SGLs, but what about Philosophy and Darwin's?
Old February 18, 2004, 17:06   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Quote:
Originally posted by MqsTout

So, is it possible, I wonder, to set a tech so it does not trigger a SGL? If people try to create custom tech trees, SGLs would probably have to be disabled if they can't be, else there would be an unusual number of them.
SGL's happen so rarely that I don't think it's really an issue. I've played a number of games now that I was in the tech lead, and I think I've only seen one so far. If you're really that concerned about it, on the units page there's a flag that you uncheck from a leader unit regarding Scientific Leaders.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2004, 10:34   #4
MqsTout
Chieftain

They aren't so rare when every tech of a custom tech tree is 'first discovered' therefore possible for a SGL. That greatly increases the SGL chance, when every tech you get has the 3-5% chance.
Old February 19, 2004, 15:38   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
I know techs from goody huts can't generate SGLs, but what about Philosophy and Darwin's?
both can generate SGLs

And I see your point, if you are the only nation able to research certain techs, I can see how that would up your chances at generation.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2004, 17:25   #6
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

And I see your point, if you are the only nation able to research certain techs, I can see how that would up your chances at generation.
But if other civs have exclusive techs as well, that evens things out.
Old February 19, 2004, 19:45   #7
MqsTout
Chieftain

It'd really destroy the race to build great wonders.
Old February 20, 2004, 04:36   #8
Lord God Jinnai
King

Local Time: 12:06
True, but then again if you're the only civ building certain wonders because its a wonder exclusive to you...
Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.
Lord God Jinnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 14:34   #9
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
It'd really destroy the race to build great wonders.
The trick is to have a good mix of Wonders, some that are civ specific and some that are open to competition. If done right it could make for a dynamic game; not only would you be dealing with a civ's UUs, but you'd also be up against a wonder that gives them a specific advantage. And using government specific wonders, and/or making them obsolete with a certain tech, you could arrange it so that this advantage only occurs for a short while.
Old February 21, 2004, 08:56   #10
PaulWilliams
Settler

Local Time: 18:06
SGLs????

Pardon my ignoance but what are they?
PaulWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2004, 17:16   #11
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulWilliams
SGLs????

Pardon my ignoance but what are they?
Scientific Great Leaders, a new leader type in Conquests. They're sometimes, though very rarely, created if you're first in researching a tech. They allow you to either rush build a Great Wonder or increase your research rate by 25%. Military Great Leaders can now only rush Small Wonders or create an Army.
Old February 22, 2004, 17:22   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:06
MGL can rush structures and units IIRC. Nearly anything except great wonders.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2004, 16:46   #13
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
MGL can rush structures and units IIRC. Nearly anything except great wonders.
Yeah right. I think it's a waste to use Leaders for those sorts of things so I never think of using them that way.
Old February 23, 2004, 17:22   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:06
It is not common for me either. It can come in handy during an IC. You can rush an airport with one. I have used them to rush a battleship in some conditions.
Mostly after having many armies and the MA built.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2004, 18:11   #15
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 19:06
They can give a civ a nice jump if used to rush a wonder. What you can do, is to disable the SGL's ability to rush buildings. This way, he can only be used to increase science a bit. You might think it's still unfair, but life contains luck, right?
Old February 25, 2004, 15:06   #16
Lord God Jinnai
King

Local Time: 12:06
I'd only do that though if you disable the same for military...
Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.
Lord God Jinnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2004, 16:51   #17
swat-spas2
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:06
Actually considering the usual time you get scientific leaders is when you (probably the player) have a lead, the point of the leader is to continue to build that lead, not to maintain, but to extend it. This way, so long as you would have some balance on special techs or tech trees, each civ would have chances to keep up or advance a lead. This would make a bit of balance.

As far as I can tell you can disable the rush building, but it appears to be for both military and scientific leaders. I'm not sure how unwanted this would be, personally I wouldn't suffer much. Armies and science ages are definitely almost as good as some wonders anyway. Getting that FP up fast is sorta useful though.