Old February 20, 2004, 02:08   #1
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG ιirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
City Name Thread

A Ministry of the Interior Notice Board

---------------------------------------------------------

It is time to discuss the names for our fine Cities.

Here are some to kick the discussion off:

Apolyton (For our Capital)

Arcadia

Atherton Tablelands (Upon a hill)

Gaia's Rise (Upon a hill)

Bacchus Marsh (For near Swamps)

Xouthos

Last edited by Paddy; April 9, 2004 at 09:01.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 03:31   #2
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 10:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Olympia for next to a mountain.

Dude'anthea because i'm cool

Antigone's Revolt, don't know why

Last edited by Duddha; February 20, 2004 at 03:46.
Duddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 10:58   #3
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 14:11
I think we need to also discuss how we are going to name cities.

A simple idea would be to have everyone submit possible names.

With the addition of if you want that name to go to a particular or type of Location such as:

Apolytonia: For the Capital

Lakeview: For any city near a lake.

conmcb25grad: for the forbidden palace.

GhengisFarbville: For any city in a swamp

Athens: For any city at all

These are just examples!

Then Paddy can collect the list and we can begin polling on names to name cities.

If a name recieves more than 50% of the vote it can get added to the Official list.

Then as we build cities we could possibly have an approved name for each city up front with another poll that can be based on the city site plan we will eventually develop as the game progresses.

My goal here is to have a simple system that ensures maximum participation of the team.

And lets face it coming up with names for our cities is definately one of the fun things we can all participate in

Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks Paddy for setting this up
Old February 20, 2004, 15:51   #4
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:11
Let's name them all after Greek Gods!
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 15:59   #5
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG ιirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

yeah, but want more than 15 cities....
Old February 20, 2004, 18:05   #6
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Here's a few names we could start with. If we run out, I will find some more.

Code:
Immortals of Greek Mythology

Aphrodite	Goddess of Love
Apollo		Son of Zeus
Ares		God of War
Artemis	        Daughter of Zeus
Athene		The Spoiler
Cheiron	        The Centaur
Circe		The Dread Goddess
Dawn		The Goddess Eos
Demeter	        Goddess of the Harvest
Dione		A mother to Aphrodite
Enyo		One of the Gray Sisters
Eos		Goddess of the Dawn
Erida		The Goddess, Hate
Erinyes	        The Mist Walker
Eris		Twin Sister of Ares
Eros		Archer of Love
Eurynome        Mother of The Graces
Fates		All will kneel before them
•	Clotho, Life is woven by
•	Lachesis, Life is measured by
•	Atropos, The thread of life is cut by
Graces		May They Bless You
•	Aglaia (Splendor)
•	Euphrosyne (Festivity)
•	Thalia (Rejoicing)
Hades		God of the Underworld
Hebe		Wife of Herakles
Helios		The Sun
Hephaistos	God of the Smith
Hera		The Most Beautiful Olympian
Herakles	The Ultimate Hero
Hermes	        Messenger of the Gods
Hestia		Goddess of the Hearth
Hours		Sisters of the Fates
•	Eunomia (Harmony)
•	D"y"ke (Justice) (censor won't allow)
•	Eirene (Peace)
Hyperion	The Titan, Father of Dawn
HypnosSleep	Brother of Thanatos
Io		The Heifer Maiden
Iris		The Swift Footed Messenger
Kalypso	        The Queenly Nympth
Kronos		Lord of the Titans
Leto		Mother of Apollo and Artemis
Medusa	        The Gorgon
Muses		The Nine Sisters
•	Kleio, history
•	Euterpe, flute playing
•	Thaleia, comedy
•	Melpomene, tragedy
•	Terpsichore, dance
•	Erato, love poems
•	Polymnia, sacred music
•	Ourania, astrology
•	Kalliope, epic poetry
Nereids	        Daughters of Nereus
•	Agaue
•	Aktaia
•	Amphinome
•	Amphithoe
•	Apseudes
•	Dexamene
•	Doris
•	Doto
•	Dynamene
•	Galateia
•	Glauke
•	Halia
•	Iaira
•	Ianassa
•	Ianeira
•	Kallianassa
•	Kallianeira
•	Klymene
•	Kumodoke
•	Kumothoe
•	Limnoreia
•	Maira
•	Melite
•	Nemertes
•	Nesaie
•	Oreithyia
•	Pherousa
•	Panope
•	Proto
•	Speio
•	Thaleia
•	Thoe
Odysseus	A Very Resourceful Traveler
Pan		The Goat God
Persephone	Wife of Hades
Poseidon	The Earth Shaker
Prometheus	The Rebel God
Rheia		Mother of the Olympians
Skylla		The Beast with Six Heads
Styx		The Oath River
Thanatos	The God of Death
Thetis		Mother of Achilleus
Winds		Children of the Dawn
•	Boreas (North)
•	Eurus (East)
•	Notus (South)
•	Zephyros (West)
Zeus		The Alpha of Immortals
Old February 20, 2004, 18:06   #7
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

I think that maybe more than 15

But BF we cant possibly use those until you provide the short biography of each.
Old February 20, 2004, 18:16   #8
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by conmcb25
I think that maybe more than 15

But BF we cant possibly use those until you provide the short biography of each.

We may not hear back from Big Free for some time... and he has been doing all the UN stuff...

Hey, thanks for the laugh... much needed in this heat....

Old February 20, 2004, 18:59   #9
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 12:11
Doughnutia: A mystical realm of Greek myth where all had doughnuts...
Old February 20, 2004, 23:12   #10
solax
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

I think the idea of Greek Gods is a cool idea, especially with conmcb25's idea of the voting process. Perhaps we can also find mythical cities of Greece and add them to this thread or new thread that can be used as ideas for our polls. I have to agree, having not played a Democracy game before that this is a fun thing. I often read these threads and have little knowledge about what is really going on because I don't have the background. I would love to contribute more to this great Greek Nation considering I have hours of free time everynight, but just need to know what I can do?
Old February 20, 2004, 23:35   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
greek names for this one.

if we make it to round 2, then we can really personalize the game. prelims, lets just get through as quickly as possible.

solax: not much to do around here til game time.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 23:37   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Octavian X-

I like your location, but where I;m living now, Bloomington Indiana, I long for Columbia Mo. Bloomington is far more boring than Columbia.
Old February 21, 2004, 00:49   #13
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by solax
I think the idea of Greek Gods is a cool idea, especially with conmcb25's idea of the voting process. Perhaps we can also find mythical cities of Greece and add them to this thread or new thread that can be used as ideas for our polls. I have to agree, having not played a Democracy game before that this is a fun thing. I often read these threads and have little knowledge about what is really going on because I don't have the background. I would love to contribute more to this great Greek Nation considering I have hours of free time everynight, but just need to know what I can do?
Well you could assist Paddy by being the city naming guy if you like, you could also be the organizer of the names for the workers and military units.

That would mean maintaining these threads running poll threads to vote on cities and then maintaining the master lists.

Its hould not take more than 15 to 30 minutes a night at first and then less as the system develops.
Old February 21, 2004, 00:49   #14
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Octavian X-

I like your location, but where I;m living now, Bloomington Indiana, I long for Columbia Mo. Bloomington is far more boring than Columbia.
Really? Are you an IU student?

I live on the SW side.
Old February 21, 2004, 01:11   #15
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Really? Are you an IU student?

I live on the SW side.

scary

my wife is a grad student (poly sci)

I live on the...SW side as well, off of 2nd street, Rolling Ridge.

Old February 21, 2004, 01:18   #16
Paddy
Prince

Old February 21, 2004, 02:43   #17
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

You have to understand, there's little for a poor high school sophmore to really do, especially when he has one too many honors classes.

(And I still think the Kewpie is a terrible mascot...)

Anyway, back on topic...
Old February 21, 2004, 10:22   #18
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

scary

my wife is a grad student (poly sci)

I live on the...SW side as well, off of 2nd street, Rolling Ridge.

I could probably drive to your house in less than 10 minutes.

Im just south of where Rockport intersects HWY 37.

Wow
Old February 21, 2004, 13:11   #19
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
Suggestion: just go with the Greek Gods list that BF has submitted.

Select a number (15 will do) of them, and vote on them.

The winner will be the name of the first city after Apolyton, etc.

This is way easier than all the systems that were brought up in the ISDG. And we needed a system there, because discussions on this subject were becoming rather extensive.
BigFurryMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 15:15   #20
Paddy
Prince

Quote:

Well you could assist Paddy by being the city naming guy if you like, you could also be the organizer of the names for the workers and military units.

That would mean maintaining these threads running poll threads to vote on cities and then maintaining the master lists.

Its hould not take more than 15 to 30 minutes a night at first and then less as the system develops.
Thanks Conmcn25...

Solax, drop me a PM and we can organise to have a chat about all of this.
Old February 21, 2004, 15:30   #21
asleepathewheel
Emperor

I swear, this is my last spam here (in this thread I mean, no promises for other threads)

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
You have to understand, there's little for a poor high school sophmore to really do, especially when he has one too many honors classes.

(And I still think the Kewpie is a terrible mascot...)
Kewpie is an awful name. Hickman, eh? I drove by there all the time when I was living there. Pretty good school.

Quote:
I could probably drive to your house in less than 10 minutes.

Im just south of where Rockport intersects HWY 37.

Wow
cool.

we'll have to chat sometime, are you very active at MZO? I've been more so lately after a long layoff. Perhaps there its more appropriate to spam
Old February 21, 2004, 15:43   #22
Paddy
Prince

cheeky buggers
Old February 21, 2004, 15:58   #23
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel we'll have to chat sometime, are you very active at MZO? I've been more so lately after a long layoff. Perhaps there its more appropriate to spam
Yes I spam there QUITE frequently There is another site as well, it is secret, but I heard rumor yesterday you may get invited. That place is spam heaven. I did over a 100 posts in my first two hours there

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
cheeky buggers
Just what is the definition of "cheeky"? I LOVE that word BTW, but we uncultured Americans dont use it unfortunately.
Old February 21, 2004, 16:18   #24
Paddy
Prince

Cheeky usually refers to someone who has done something that when found out raises a blush into the cheeks on their face.

This can be through things such as pride, embarrasment, or the most popular one, laughter...
Old February 22, 2004, 16:06   #25
solax
Chieftain

Well, Paddy and I have yet to chat about how to organize this, or what my role will be, however I have alredy started researching the topic and using ideas given by other citizens in this thread and the other two related to naming. Please give more ideas on what type of names we would like to see... example: Greek Gods, Greek Mythology, ect. From your ideas I think we will be able to come up with some great options for our Great Consul to use. Hopefully I will soon bring out a large list of names for cities, military units, and workers and from there we may be able to better assess our Polling options. Thank you for those who gave their support to me in heading up this cause for our Minister of Int., Paddy. I look forward in assisting our great Nation in anyway I can.
Old February 22, 2004, 17:37   #26
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by solax
Well, Paddy and I have yet to chat about how to organize this, or what my role will be, however I have alredy started researching the topic and using ideas given by other citizens in this thread and the other two related to naming. Please give more ideas on what type of names we would like to see... example: Greek Gods, Greek Mythology, ect. From your ideas I think we will be able to come up with some great options for our Great Consul to use. Hopefully I will soon bring out a large list of names for cities, military units, and workers and from there we may be able to better assess our Polling options. Thank you for those who gave their support to me in heading up this cause for our Minister of Int., Paddy. I look forward in assisting our great Nation in anyway I can.

Great! The more people we can get involved and keep invilved the bettter! Thanks for volunteering solax!
Old February 23, 2004, 04:09   #27
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
Cheeky usually refers to someone who has done something that when found out raises a blush into the cheeks on their face.

This can be through things such as pride, embarrasment, or the most popular one, laughter...
And here I thought it always refered to the nether region.
Old February 24, 2004, 01:44   #28
solax
Chieftain

***** Announcement *****

I need all of you to start posting your favorite city, besides Apolytonia which I believe everyone has agreed to name OUR Capital city. I know it may be difficult to do because many of you consider land area a major factor in your decisions. However, it is my understanding that we have come to some conclusion on sticking to the Greek theme which sounds very exciting. We have a great list given to us by those posted and by BigFree.

ATHENA:
Athena was the Greek goddess of wisdom and warfare, the daughter of Zeus and the patron goddess of the city of Athens in Greece. She is associated with the olive tree and the owl

This is just an example..... now it's your turn!!!!
Old February 24, 2004, 04:37   #29
BigFree
Deity

BIGFREE:

BigFree was a God of Love and Hate. Some people hated to love him, while others loved to hate him. This town should be placed in a location that is neither good nor bad, but somehwere in between.
Old February 26, 2004, 04:52   #30
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 10:11
DUDDHA:

God of baby eating and infanticide. Town should located where this can be done best (i.e. near cliffs, mountains, hills, jungles, evil forests) or in a captured enemy city that has been purged of its heathen populace.
Duddha is offline   Reply With Quote