Old February 20, 2004, 07:41   #1
Lansing
Settler

Local Time: 18:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I feel SO ripped off! *cry*
Arg! I was having a GREAT game on Sid. Everything was moving along swimmingly. I was playing with 31 civs on a tiny archi world, so it was pretty intense, but I finally managed to conquer my island and has conquered one more. I was able to fend off any of my enemies, and had two main rivals. However, I was slowly pulling ahead of them, as I had more cities and more population. I'd amassed a large army to defend myself (attacking is useless on Sid after a certain point, as all the AIs have literally 50 troops in each city), and had 4 actual armies on the go as well. I had caught up in the tech race, switched to democracy, and was about to pull ahead in the tech race. I controlled about 50% of the total map (80% water) and had about 40% of the population. Life was good! And then ...

No coal.

None. Lots of mountains and hills on my land, loads of iron and other goodies, 5 luxuries under my command ... no coal. So no railway. And no way to get coal, as the AI, as I mentioned, is unassailable on Sid.

I WAS GOING TO WIN A SPACE RACE VICTORY, @#*&$*!!

The balance is so tight on Sid level that not having coal pretty much ruins me completely. I bet I wouldn't have had any aluminum either. So now it is 6:35 on the wrong side of midnight, and I just shut it down after making a valiant, yet doomed, attempt at the only freaking coal I had a chance at.

/weeps
Old February 20, 2004, 08:05   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 19:11
Yes, strategic resource appearance is screwed in Conquests. I can feel with you. There are 2 possible solutions:

- increase the resource appearance in the editor by approximately 1/3 (yes, it's cheating)
- don't play Conquests (works for me)
Old February 20, 2004, 09:21   #3
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:11
I assume no way to trade for Coal either....did some of the AI's have it, but wouldn't trade with you? That's doubly frustrating...
Old February 20, 2004, 12:27   #4
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
Did you manage to get into the Modern Age and start a Spaceship race?

If there is an AI with coal, mass produce artillery and infantry, then move huge stacks of them to destroy the AI.

Look at BamSpeedy's Beyond Sid game on CivFanatics to get an idea what I'm talking about.

Hope that helps.
Old February 20, 2004, 13:17   #5
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:11
Don't forget the resources can move.

However, wihen you set 31 civs, there aren't 31 of each resource on the map?
Old February 20, 2004, 16:12   #6
Lansing
Settler

Heh, no there aren't 31 resources on the map. There appears to be 1. :\

I'd love to try to take the coal, but frankly it's impossible I think. I won't be able to fend off the AI without coal, as I'm barely ahead as it is. Sigh.
Old February 26, 2004, 13:06   #7
MotownDennis
Warlord

If there are 31 civs in the game, why not try to get as many other civs as you can to declare war on the fortunate civ that has coal? When they finally sign peace, rinse and repeat.

That'll soften em up a bit for you to come in and take the coal.
Old February 26, 2004, 13:54   #8
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 14:11
There is always a way.
Post the save!
Old February 26, 2004, 22:08   #9
Drachen
Prince

I'd be interested in a save game also. Could you flesh out a bit how you were able to pull ahead in tech? It sounds like the extra science from owning 50% of the world offsets the AI's reduced research costs. True?

Anatole France
Old February 26, 2004, 22:49   #10
Antrine
Prince

Mod like hell! Then it becomes a science and not 'cheating'.
I'll send you elsewhere
Old February 27, 2004, 04:40   #11
Daz
Prince

Well you just do what real countries do when they use up treir resources; invade another which has them...