Old February 21, 2004, 02:06   #1
Teqxan
Settler

Local Time: 18:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
newbie wanting a game
anyone interested in setting up a game ??
Old February 21, 2004, 05:22   #2
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:14
You might have a better luck if you go to multiplaying forum.
Old February 21, 2004, 05:42   #3
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Local Date: November 3, 2010
So long as you adhere to their PBEM rules.

Fair to say that I won't be a part of such a thing!
Old February 21, 2004, 18:09   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:14
E_N, everyone else is willing to negotiate about PBEM rules. It's just you who stated: "My game, my way". That's fine, but then we should have the free choice to say: "We choose not to participate in this kind of game."
Old February 22, 2004, 00:13   #5
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Choices need be neither well informed nor logically decided.

Ensure everything is explained so that no idiot can misunderstand it and enacted so that no moron could botch it.
This prevents a lapse of competency or understanding from ruining a game.

Watch people attack me based on statements they have justified with errors, and since the errors are common to many, lots of people join in the attack.

My response is to tell them to **** themselves and go find better people to play with.

It's time for me to start a new PBEM - and hope that the emotionally misconfigured people like Flubber and Maniac don't spread their resentful opinions to others.
Of course I'll get my revenge if I do, but it's hard to play a PBEM when the largest mass of people is converted to foolish prejudice.

Trash Talking over a dead game is redundant.
Old February 22, 2004, 11:45   #6
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
You are a real piece of work.
Old February 22, 2004, 18:15   #7
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 19:14
nice rant
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old February 23, 2004, 01:57   #8
Starfarer
Chieftain

Location: The endless oceans of Darkness that surround us all...
If it's redundant, you've certainly managed to show more pointless redundancy than the entire US government and military combined.

In any case, be careful who you get into a game with, and be prepared for the game to take for-freaking-ever.

And don't expect anybody to pull any punches to teach a newbie how to play. Some people are nice, others, as Enigma as so kindly proven with his meaningless flaming, are not so nice. And I'm sure there are some who believe if you don't go back and read the entire history of this board to find out all their little tactics, you're a moron and thus DESERVE to be brutally gang-raped by the entire complement of other players for daring to get into their games.

G'luck from one newbie to another.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:47   #9
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Being bitter does not imply being selfish.
Old February 23, 2004, 13:28   #10
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 19:14
I'm curious now as to what happened ....

I remember my first online game, people didn't even bother considering me a target, i was just a handy large pile of population to be bribed into making them govt, was cool getting 6 techs in a single go then using them to wipe out 2 AI and have a large military being payed to "protect" a neighbour

and hurah king status
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old February 23, 2004, 17:58   #11
Starfarer
Chieftain

Location: The endless oceans of Darkness that surround us all...
Heh.

Basically I got a group of prickish players... this was awhile ago, I don't even remembr their names... but they, in essence, seem to have decided that I, the poor newbie player, was worth exactly one thing... building ready-made bases for them to conquer.

Which probably I wouldn't have minded so much if ALL SIX OF THEM hadn't hit me at once.

And no, Enigma.,.. you're right. Being bitter doesn't imply being selfish. But then, you don't show any signs of being bitter.

However, the fact that you are so obviously TRYING to be a ***** does.

There's absolutely no need for uncalled-for insults to be thrown around, especially when a new poster is just looking for some gamers.
Old February 23, 2004, 18:10   #12
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
Trash Talking over a dead game is redundant.
Then why not quit doing it ??
Old February 23, 2004, 18:15   #13
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Teqxan

AS suggested you might better post in the MP forum.

AS for starfarer's experience, I have never seen that many players co-operate ever so I would think it is rare. I actually doubt that SIX players were in on an attack together. More likely he got jumped by an alliance and his weakness made it profitable for others to jump him. Usually you will see alliances of 2 players and sometimes a group will work together to rein in a clear leader.

PBEM can be a lot of fun but games do take a long time unless you restrict yourself to players with proven records of playing quickly
Old February 23, 2004, 20:26   #14
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 13:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber

AS for starfarer's experience, I have never seen that many players co-operate ever so I would think it is rare. I actually doubt that SIX players were in on an attack together. More likely he got jumped by an alliance and his weakness made it profitable for others to jump him.

That's likely what happened.

Another distinct possibility was that one alliance jumped him and the others had no choice but to take the rest of his empire to keep it out of the hands of the alliance that jumped him. Acting out of self preservation.

Mead
Old February 23, 2004, 20:50   #15
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Starfarer
And don't expect anybody to pull any punches to teach a newbie how to play. Some people are nice, others, as Enigma as so kindly proven with his meaningless flaming, are not so nice. And I'm sure there are some who believe if you don't go back and read the entire history of this board to find out all their little tactics, you're a moron and thus DESERVE to be brutally gang-raped by the entire complement of other players for daring to get into their games.

G'luck from one newbie to another.
I wouldn't mind being 'brutally gang-raped' as you affectively put it as long those players are kind enough to provide me with their feedback after the fact so next time I'd play better.
Old February 24, 2004, 11:17   #16
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DataAeolus

I wouldn't mind being 'brutally gang-raped' as you affectively put it as long those players are kind enough to provide me with their feedback after the fact so next time I'd play better.
Generally it can be pretty simple. If you don't have enough defences to make attack unprofitable, SOMEONE will decide to try to appropriate your efforts . .. When I am the victim there are always one or more of two simple reasons

1. While I had a contending empire, I neglected military preparation ( techs and/or units, infiltration and patrolling) making a suprise attack possible--

2. an empire is behind in tech, empire size, production etc such that you people do not fear warring with you since they know they can take you out. An empire can get behind for any number of reasons and often, opposing players will have no idea as to what the crucial mistakes were since they would lack infiltration in the earliest years.

THis might seem like pretty obvious stuff but the reality is that most PBEMers will go to war for obvious reasons. I believe that I have only seen a few PBEMs played where there was no war between the humans ( excepting challenges with artificial restrictions of course).
In the peaceful games there was generally a clear superiority and a pretty early capitulation by the others, although in one game two humans allied to transcendance and not a shot was fired among the humans.