Old February 22, 2004, 02:17   #61
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

Yup, but it is not their role to teach discipline IMHO. And enforcement of discipline at school definitely doesn't requires corporeal punishment: put the unruly kid one hour in an empty room (except for the warden), where he'll get bored like hell, have him lectured by the director, or simply give him bad marks and warn the parents for them to teach their kid accordingly.
Spiffor, This simply does not work. Great idea...no practical value. Most of the kids that misbehave are also poor students. What jackass came up with the idea of taking poor students, who don't want to be in class anyway, out of the classroom as punishment? I can tell you for a fact that this is no problem to the kids. Now threaten to bust them and suddenly, magically, they become reasonable and want to try to improve.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 22, 2004, 05:59   #62
Ned
King

Local Time: 10:15
I read this entire thread without encountering one explanation as to why corporal punishment is morally wrong when it is acknowledged to be effective with respect to kids of a relatively young age. Lack of discipline plagues many school systems in United States and is a proximate cause of the very poor education of American youth. Corporal punishment may be just the ticket for correcting the decline in American education.
Old February 22, 2004, 06:00   #63
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:15
yes. I was never punished physically as a kid. And look how bad I turned out...
Old February 22, 2004, 06:10   #64
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 12:15
I live in a civilized country, and I was never paddled, nor smacked, nor physically touched in any manner that could be construed as violent. Nor has anyone that I know of in my years of public schooling, and we had no problems really.

I think there are better ways, even though I won't deny corporal punishment is effective and sometimes most effective, it's not the only effective way for most children.
Old February 22, 2004, 06:15   #65
Ned
King

Asher, I went to Catholic schools growing up. We were not corporally punished, but we had discipline.

My Daughter went to public schools both in Minnesota and California. The kids were well disciplined in Minnesota and utterly undisciplined in California. The schools were like that in 1975 as well when I visited my nephew's school in San Diego. Complete chaos.

Thus, I know that schools can be well disciplined without corporal punishment. However, when one sees what is going on in California, one begins to wonder if there is any realistic alternative.
Old February 22, 2004, 06:17   #66
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I went to school in California for four years, grades 5 through 8, and I don't see what you're talking about. It was a fine learning environment.
Old February 22, 2004, 06:21   #67
Ned
King

Asher, good for you.

Where did you go to school?
Old February 22, 2004, 06:24   #68
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

San Ramon. It's a suburb in the Bay Area.
Old February 22, 2004, 06:25   #69
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Let's be honest:

Today's schools are churning out mentally weak pussies by the droves.

Sometimes the best thing you can give somebody is a swift kick in the azz. You then follow this up later by talking to them to build them back up. You can't just kick their azz and then just leave them there, that makes them get worse. But if you kick their azz and then follow it up with encouragement, that is a solid method of shaping a young kid's mind. Certainly he will remember it for a very long time.

Being sensitive and being tough are not mutually exclusive

John Kerry is an example of the kind of person who is both tough (has 3 Purple Hearts) but also sensitive to others (took up the plight of US atrocities in Vietnam)

Mis Novias
Old February 22, 2004, 06:25   #70
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

We need to look to men like Kerry to shape our youth

Not Oprah

Mis Novias
Old February 22, 2004, 06:28   #71
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
San Ramon. It's a suburb in the Bay Area.
I am willing to bet that you got a relatively good education there as well.

I wonder why some schools are completely out of control and others well disciplined?
Old February 22, 2004, 06:30   #72
Ned
King

Plight of US attrocities in Vietnam!!!

Kerry has earned the undying opprobrium of Vietnam veterans for that!!!!!
Old February 22, 2004, 06:33   #73
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
Let's be honest:

Today's schools are churning out mentally weak pussies by the droves.

Sometimes the best thing you can give somebody is a swift kick in the azz. You then follow this up later by talking to them to build them back up. You can't just kick their azz and then just leave them there, that makes them get worse. But if you kick their azz and then follow it up with encouragement, that is a solid method of shaping a young kid's mind. Certainly he will remember it for a very long time.

Being sensitive and being tough are not mutually exclusive

John Kerry is an example of the kind of person who is both tough (has 3 Purple Hearts) but also sensitive to others (took up the plight of US atrocities in Vietnam)
Kerry is a weasal politician. He flip-flops on issues so often it makes me sick. I'm getting tired of him bringup up his Vietnam experience. But I don't like what Bush is doing to the country (and to science especially). I may just abstain this election.
Old February 22, 2004, 06:36   #74
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Plight of US attrocities in Vietnam!!!

Kerry has earned the undying opprobrium of Vietnam veterans for that!!!!!
He IS a vet dude

Got wounded 3 times doing it too

He not only talked the talk but he actually walked it.

He was fighting FOR the common soldier, blasting guys like MacNamera and lower level commanders for doing sh1t like sending a bunch of kids to die for countless stupid hills that were abandoned the next day.

Mis Novias
Old February 22, 2004, 06:53   #75
Ned
King

Ted, you don't have a clue.

Kerry would be torn limb from limb if he were to attend a Vietnam Veterans reunion.
Old February 22, 2004, 06:54   #76
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 19:15
It all depends on my mood.

If any teacher beats my child and I'm in a good mood, I'll merely press charges of assault/indecent assault.

If I'm in a bad mood, I'll beat the living daylights out of them.
Old February 22, 2004, 07:40   #77
Ned
King

Laz, I believe corporal punishment requires parental consent. Does that alter your views?

BTW, how do you or would you handle a kid that was out of control at school?
Old February 22, 2004, 09:31   #78
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 19:15
The article suggests that parental consent is not required in Texas. It doesn't change my stance in the slightest- I would give no such consent, and any teacher going ahead and assaulting my child would be taking a great risk. If I can get my offspring to behave without hitting them, I fail to see why my taxes should pay someone incapable of doing likewise.

If a child was out of control? Detention, followed by suspension, followed by expulsion- any subsequent educational needs to be addressed by home schooling or aspecial schools/secure schools experienced in handling behavioral problems.
Old February 22, 2004, 11:40   #79
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Kerry would be torn limb from limb if he were to attend a Vietnam Veterans reunion.
No, Ned, he wouldn't. Most Vietnam Vets respect him and his stances. He's drawing a great deal of support from them.

You should stop getting your ideas from Ted Sampley, a proven liar. You can repeat the same lies if you want, it doesn't make them true.
Old February 22, 2004, 11:41   #80
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The article suggests that parental consent is not required in Texas. It doesn't change my stance in the slightest- I would give no such consent, and any teacher going ahead and assaulting my child would be taking a great risk. If I can get my offspring to behave without hitting them, I fail to see why my taxes should pay someone incapable of doing likewise.

If a child was out of control? Detention, followed by suspension, followed by expulsion- any subsequent educational needs to be addressed by home schooling or aspecial schools/secure schools experienced in handling behavioral problems.

No more need be said, IMO. There are plenty of ways to discipline kids without beating them.
Old February 22, 2004, 14:25   #81
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
Oh, and Spiffor, I basically agree with what you said, I was just pointing out that some form of discipline IS required; the question at hand was whether physical beating is an acceptable form of discipline at all.

At least, I think it was. Will somebody please tell me what kind of answer I'm looking for?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old February 22, 2004, 15:40   #82
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
Let's be honest:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=109109
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 22, 2004, 17:52   #83
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

No, Ned, he wouldn't. Most Vietnam Vets respect him and his stances. He's drawing a great deal of support from them.

You should stop getting your ideas from Ted Sampley, a proven liar. You can repeat the same lies if you want, it doesn't make them true.
We shall see just how many Vietnam veterans consider themselves war criminals and how many come out to support Kerry.
Old February 22, 2004, 18:13   #84
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Considering he had 10,000 vets mobilized for his campaign in Iowa alone, I would like to see that.

I knew the Republicans would go down this smear route to try and dilute the obvious difference in military service between Kerry and Bush. That, plus their slashing of veteran's benefits, just goes to show their support for veterans is a crock. They just support military hardware manufacturers.
Old February 22, 2004, 18:22   #85
Ned
King

There are 3.5 million Vietnam Veterans.

Ten thousand for Kerry in Iowa? If true, this is impressive. But I guarantee that Kerry's anti-war conduct will be an issue.
Old February 22, 2004, 18:41   #86
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

Speak Roughly to Your Little Boy

And with that she began nursing her child again, singing a sort of lullaby to it as she did so, and giving it a violent shake at the end of every line: -- --

"Speak roughly to your little boy,
And beat him when he sneezes;
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases."

CHORUS
(in which the cook and the baby joined): -- --

"Wow! wow! wow!"

While the Duchess sang the second verse of the song, she kept tossing the baby violently up and down, and the poor little thing howled so, that Alice could hardly hear the words: -- --

"I speak severely to my boy,
I beat him when he sneezes;
For he can thoroughly enjoy
The pepper when he pleases!"

CHORUS

"Wow! wow! wow!"

The people who were caned at my grammar school were the same offenders, time and again. The only lesson it taught them was not to get caught, or to pin the blame on someone else.

The lesson I learned from this was that some people like caning others, some people enjoy abusing their authority, and that beating children is wrong.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 22, 2004, 19:23   #87
Thorn
Prince

Local Time: 14:15
if a teacher paddled me I would have put a bullet in their head.
Old February 22, 2004, 19:28   #88
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Tell us about your time in a Turkish prison again, EvC?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 22, 2004, 19:33   #89
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

You've got it wrong. You should have hear the ovation re received at his testimony, all of it coming from vets. He was fighting for the vets most of all, plain and simple.

Certianly there are vets that can't stand Kerry. But they don't understand where he is coming from.

YOU just don't like him because he went directly after Nixon.

Here's an excerpt from his testimony:

Quote:
But the problem with veterans goes beyond this personal problem, because you think about a poster in this country with a picture of Uncle Sam and the picture says: I WANT YOU. And a young man comes out of high school and says: "That is fine, I am going to serve my country," and he goes to Vietnam and he shoots and he kills and he does his job or maybe he doesn't kill, maybe he just goes and he comes back, and when he gets back to this country he finds that he isn't really wanted because the largest unemployment figure in this country - it varies depending on who you get it from, the V.A. 15 per cent, various other sources 22 per cent - but the largest corps of unemployed in this country are veterans of this war, and of those veterans 33 per cent of the unemployed are black. That means one out of every ten of the nation's unemployed is a veteran of Vietnam.

The hospitals across the country won't or can't meet their demands. It is not a question of not trying; they haven't got the appropriations. A man recently died after he had a tracheotomy in California, not because of the operation but because there weren't enough personnel to clean the mucus out of his tube and he suffocated to death.

Another young man just died in a New York V.A. hospital that other day. A friend of mine was lying in a bed two beds away and tried to help him but couldn't. He rang a bell and there was nobody there to service that man and so he died of convulsions.

Fifty-seven per cent, I understand 57 per cent of all those entering the V.A. hospitals talk about suicide. Some 27 per cent have tried, and they try because they come back to this country and they have to face what they did in Vietnam, and then they come back and find the indifference of a country that doesn't really care.
Does that sound like a man who turned his back on his friends to you?

http://members.aol.com/bear317p/kerry.htm

Mis Novias
Old February 22, 2004, 20:00   #90
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

There was this one time in math class my freshman year.

A teacher noticed a student wasn't paying attention. He said "if I come back there and look in your notebook and you haven't taken notes, can I throw you out of your desk?"

The kid, thinking the teacher mental but not irrational, replied "Sure".

The teacher walked to the back, looked in the notebook, and hurled the student onto the floor.

One of the more interesting times at my school in Massachusetts

On a side note, this teacher ended up being one of my favorites, because he knew how to teach.