Old February 22, 2004, 16:38   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 11:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Short Civ3 games
I was thinking about some epic games again. I no longer like games that require over 1 day of playing time to complete. Once I take a break from a game to civ3 I never seem to go back to it. I have several unfinished games right now.

I normally don't like tiny maps, but I guess I'll try one. Maybe with the accel production on as well. The thing about accel. production is it really narrows the window for military units. You don't have much time to use units before they become obsolete. Conquering the world with those horseman and swordsmen you conquered your first civilization with isn't going to work. But that might be a good thing. Also it screws up the years. It just doesnt' feel right to have tanks rolling around in 1000 AD or something like that .

Any other ways to speed up the game?
Old February 22, 2004, 17:29   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:17
Never tried a tiny map and I am not even sure it will shorten the game all that much. I doubt it can be made into a 1 day game.
Old February 22, 2004, 17:31   #3
Willem
Emperor

Re: Short Civ3 games
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

Any other ways to speed up the game?
If you have Conquests, try using Victory Points. You can assign any amount you like, up to 1 million, and the game ends as soon as any civ reaches that amount. And there's various ways of acquiring these point and different values you can give to them.
Old February 22, 2004, 19:35   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:17
tiny map +accel prod + 31 civs = fun game that is quite enjoyable and difficult and quick.
Old February 23, 2004, 00:15   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

6 hours and 9 minutes this game lasted. I could have done it in less time, but I was trying to go for a space victory. But this cheating AI really annoyed me. I ended up doing a domination victory.

I guess the default is 4 civs on tiny map? As that is what I had. 2 on each major continent. I have never dominated a game as easily as I have this one. And usually Regent gives me at least a little bit of challenge. But this was pathetically easy. I guess the accel. production and tiny map works for the human advantage.

I was fairly hemmed in, and didn't have a great starting position (other than starting on the large continent which was nice). I had no fresh water, no great resources, just a couple luxeries such as ivory and tobacco. But I did have horses to build war chariots (I was the Egptians for a change). And that is what I used to wipe out my neighbor.

I had a huge tech lead after that, but magically the other civs caught up with me and started stealing my wonders I was building . I got pissed and decided to wipe them out and take those wonders for myself.

Overall I had fun. I'll probably do this again. I just don't have the patiences for late industrial age or modern age epic games. I do kind of miss some of those units. I'll just have to play scenarios to play with aircraft and advanced navies.

I'll even show you a screenie. Although it seems too large. Let me see if I can get it under 50000 bytes.
Old February 23, 2004, 00:18   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

let me try this again. This is the zoomed out view down to 600 X 400.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ3screenie.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	65106  
Old February 23, 2004, 00:21   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

good game. I've seen many people comment that accel prod benefits the human much more than the ai.

try going into the editor and allowing more civs on the tiny map. fun stuff
Old February 23, 2004, 00:24   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yeah I'll do that. Although 32 might be a bit of overkill
Old February 23, 2004, 00:27   #9
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
yeah I'll do that. Although 32 might be a bit of overkill
31, but yes. each civ might get 2 cities each on pangea. the key of course is starting next to iron. without that, its really tough. really tough, unless you are say iroquois and have horses.
Old February 23, 2004, 18:46   #10
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 10:17
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
try going into the editor and allowing more civs on the tiny map. fun stuff
what do you change the tech rate to in the world sizes for 31 civs?
Old February 23, 2004, 20:37   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

If you go into the editor does that make it so your games do not show up in the HOF?

And if you go into the editor, do you have to play as a scenario? I have never messed around with the editor much in this gam. Although I used to do it all the time in Civ2.

I played another game last night on a higher difficulty level. I didn't have much success . I was in second place in tech (although first in points strangely), and far behind in tech.

And I forgot to save the game before I did something stupid .

But I fell behind because I took too long eradicating my neigbor. I played as the Iroquios. But I did not have access to horses. In fact I had a really, really bad starting position. I had to move 2 squares to build my first city- and I still had nothing but wines in my city radius with no access to water. But I did manage to get some iron next to a volcano. I used swordsment to eradicate my neigbor. But the volcano kept erupting knocking out the road to my iron .

How many times to those volcanos erupt?

In any case I couldn't trigger a golden age. I tried doing it in late game, but I was unable to kill any infantry with the mounted warriors.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:44   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes if you make a map with the editor it can show up in the Hof as long as you use std rules.

Yes the are considere scnearios. In C3C I think they load as civ-Content.

No horses with a horse UU, now that is mean. Maybe you could use arties to drop the infantry down to 1 HP and then kill it with a MW. It may still be hard to kill it though.
Old February 24, 2004, 08:42   #13
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

If you have Conquests, try the Quick Civ scenario in Civ-Content. It has half priced buildings and tech with extra food per tile. Played with accelerated production on it usually ends up to be a 3-4 hour game. Also, the game is limited to 135 turns. Because of the accelerated nature of the game usually there will be 1-2 major AIs to give you some good competition near the end.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:45   #14
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 15:17
i like loooong and boring games.
Old March 2, 2004, 10:58   #15
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
tiny map +accel prod + 31 civs = fun game that is quite enjoyable and difficult and quick.
What victory conditions do you make available?
Old March 2, 2004, 11:08   #16
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000

What victory conditions do you make available?
sometimes all, sometimes domination and conquest only. Its not really suited to a builder's game
Old March 2, 2004, 11:21   #17
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:

sometimes all, sometimes domination and conquest only. Its not really suited to a builder's game

How can you put 31 civs on a tiny map? The only way I have been able to force 31 civs on a map is if I make the map larger than 'Huge'.
Old March 2, 2004, 19:16   #18
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 10:17
you can make a scenario with 31 players (scenario properties) or adjust the rules so theres 31 civs on a tiny map (world sizes).

what i wonder though is whats the best tech rate and ideal starting distances. lots of civs on smaller maps is great fun, without a adjusted tech rate though it seems that the tech pace is really fast.
Old March 3, 2004, 00:09   #19
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

My 31 civ on tiny map game
I got interested in trying this style game after reading this thread. It's a great concept.

I'm playing the Celts. My starting position was ideal. Two civs couldn't even start a city due to the proximity, so after building a few warriors, I attacked the settler/worker stack of two civs just hanging out in my backyard. Due to this, and subsequent battles, I have loads of workers - a complete immigrant worker population - no native Celts want to build roads in my empire.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	31civ opening v2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	66079  
Old March 3, 2004, 00:12   #20
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

My 31 civ on tiny map game (cont.)
So, since it's constant war, I got a MGL and built and army. Gallic Swordsman Army KICKS BUTT!!! I picked up a second MGL a few turns after this screen shot, and built a second Gallic Swordsman Army.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	celtic army v2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	66080  
Old March 3, 2004, 00:14   #21
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

My 31 civ on tiny map game (cont.)
So I'm knocking off one civ after another. I think I killed off 9 civs so far. Next on the list: Ottomans, Americans and English. Here's a screen shot of my last turn tonight. I hope to finish the game tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	final celtic map night1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	66081