Old February 23, 2004, 06:23   #61
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Progressive taxation has nothing to do with financing the government since there are too few rich to tax for their taxes to matter much. Progressive taxation is punitive and can only be justified by some demonstration that it benefits society in some manner.
It actually depends on the banding, but I'll take the US as example. In 2000, 37.4% of federal income taxes were paid by the top 1% of income earners, who incidentally had an income share of 20.8%.

You can't say that either of those figures are small.
Old February 23, 2004, 06:24   #62
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 18:18
Quote:
If one opposes taxation to assist these people, as well as charitable donations, to what option have you left the poor, but to rob their more fortunate neighbours?
I don't oppose charity, rather, I think that charity should be the method of support for the destitute.

Quote:
They must survive, and their survival ought to weigh of more value than mere property.
Why? Are not property rights an extenion of my right to life? If I have a right to be alive, surely I have a right to my labor, and the products produced by my labor. To deny any of that is to deny my right to life.
Old February 23, 2004, 06:28   #63
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:18
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
And poor people benefit from an education they couldn't otherwise afford, poor people benefit from a police and court system, and poor people benefit from roads. Arguing that the rich benefit more than the poor is kinda silly, because without rich people, poor people would be ****ed.
But I benefit more, hence I pay more. Simple, really.

Quote:
You personally could not provide those things, but other people would be able to set up road building companies and make a profit, and other people would be able to build schools.

And if you feel as if it is in your benefit for workers to be educated, then by all means, feel free to donate your money and time to educating them. Don't force others who disagree to do the same.
And then someone would have to pay for those roads and those schools. If taxes did not pay for it, wages would have to be higher so that people could pay for them themselves. One way or the other, they have to be paid for. That is unless you are advocating an illiterate population walking in the mud along wagon tracks.

Quote:
So, to get back to my mattress example, you concede that stuffing your mattress full of money does not limit anyone's freedom.

By taking your money out of the mattress and generating commerce, you are helping both yourself and others. Why should you be punished for this?
I'm not punished. I'm taxed if I make a profit. The same way I'd be taxed if I worked for someone else. It is simply the case that I stand to make a sizable amount more profit than the average person earns in wages, or I wouldn't invest the capital in the first place.

If I am taxed a fair amount, and can see that profits outway risks, then I will let the capital ride to accrue more profits.

Quote:
And finally, your arguments about utility miss the point. If everyone agrees with you, then people will donate their time and effort to educate workers. If people disagree, then they won't. Those would-be workers certainly have no right to an education, and you certainly have no right to expect other people to contribute to what you feel is beneficial. If someone wants to get an education, they can pay for one, and if you feel as if it's in your interest to help them, by all means do so.

The issue is one of freedom, not one of benefits or entitlements. You aren't entitled to an educated workforce any more than some random poor guy is entitled to an education. You may need an educated workforce to generate more profit, but need doesn't create entitlement. If it did, we'd be back at the kidney donation example.
And now you are into silly land.

If libertarians can ever get broad agreement that people pay for their own education, good luck to you and the basket case of a country that you would be living in.
Old February 23, 2004, 06:29   #64
M. Robespierre
Settler

Quote:
but most of them probably have made bad decisions contributing to their homelessness.
Such lack of sympathy causes me to suspect your lack of charitable donations to the poor. Why give to those who have inflicted their own wounds?

Quote:
Are not property rights an extenion of my right to life? If I have a right to be alive, surely I have a right to my labor, and the products produced by my labor. To deny any of that is to deny my right to life.
You speak of the right to life, to one who would have supported the Terror?

Curious. The right to life does not justify crimes against the state, for surely you agree the state ought to support capital punishment, where there is no other alternative to maintain law and order.

If one would allow another person to suffer and die, for want of food and shelter, I would think this to be a capital crime. Such mercy withheld, also should be withheld from him.

Why would one give to charity, if one believes that the poor are responsible for their own plight?
Old February 23, 2004, 06:30   #65
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 21:18
Quote:
Sure, an intrusive operation is akin to mutilation, but you miss the point. Mutilating me is wrong, and robbing me without mutiliating me is wrong. Saying that one is "less wrong" is a value judgment I don't necessarily agree with, but you don't seem to dispute the fact that both are wrong.
On theirselves, of course they're both are "wrong" in the sense they carry negative utility. However, there are more results to these actions rather than your discomfort. In taxation, these benefits outweigh your discomfort.
Old February 23, 2004, 06:34   #66
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
But I benefit more, hence I pay more. Simple, really.
But let's say you provide a job to someone who is unemployed. As a result of that job, your profits increase by a certain amount. Obviously, the salary you pay that person will be less than your profits (otherwise they aren't profits). So, then, who benefits more? If you go by numbers, you benefitted more, but on the other hand, you provided a job to someone who had no job, so speaking relatively, THEY benefitted more.

Quote:
And then someone would have to pay for those roads and those schools. If taxes did not pay for it, wages would have to be higher so that people could pay for them themselves. One way or the other, they have to be paid for.
Obviously. I only advocate that the funding be voluntary, and that those who do not wish to make use of the services should not have to pay for them.

Quote:
I'm not punished. I'm taxed if I make a profit. The same way I'd be taxed if I worked for someone else. It is simply the case that I stand to make a sizable amount more profit than the average person earns in wages, or I wouldn't invest the capital in the first place.
Sure you're punished. By putting your capital on the market, others are deriving a benefit. You are as well. The more money you earn, the more capital you can potentially put on the market. Sure, without taxes you can't have things such as universal health care, but so what? You are essentially doing others (and of course yourself) a favor by building a mall (or whatever). That this isn't your primary motivation for doing so in no way means that you should be taxed for doing so.
Old February 23, 2004, 06:41   #67
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Such lack of sympathy causes me to suspect your lack of charitable donations to the poor. Why give to those who have inflicted their own wounds?
My lack of major charitable donations have more to do with the fact that the government already forces me to donate.

Quote:
You speak of the right to life, to one who would have supported the Terror?
I'm in no way in favor of either the French Monarchy, the anarchy after the overthrow of the monarchy, the Terror, OR Napoleon's system. None of them were free and non-coercive.

Quote:
The right to life does not justify crimes against the state, for surely you agree the state ought to support capital punishment, where there is no other alternative to maintain law and order.
No. First of all, I can't quite get what you are trying to say, I'll do the best I can. You seem to assume that the existence of the state should be an end unto itself. I disagree - the state is properly a means to an end, that end being individual liberty. Do I support capital punishment? I lean towards "no", and I certainly oppose classifying "crimes against the state" as capital crimes.

Quote:
If one would allow another person to suffer and die, for want of food and shelter, I would think this to be a capital crime. Such mercy withheld, also should be withheld from him.
Oh, so now we get down to it. By allowing you to live, the state is simply being merciful. You no more have a right to your life than a right to your property. That is the concept you are supporting, whether you realize it or not.

Quote:
Why would one give to charity, if one believes that the poor are responsible for their own plight?
I probably wouldn't give to those responsible for their own plight

Azazel,

Quote:
On theirselves, of course they're both are "wrong" in the sense they carry negative utility. However, there are more results to these actions rather than your discomfort. In taxation, these benefits outweigh your discomfort.
Ah, but in forced organ donation, you are saving lives, and surely that also outweighs discomfort. Right?
Old February 23, 2004, 06:53   #68
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Ah, but in forced organ donation, you are saving lives, and surely that also outweighs discomfort. Right?
I am not sure. But this would be right, I'd support it.
And of course, as always, the fact that post mortem harvesting is BY FAR more ethical makes this choice very wrong. so is keeping the current situation as it is, more or less.
Old February 23, 2004, 06:57   #69
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
Azazel -
Quote:
No you don't become happy when someone steals from you. But by collecting tax, you create things that benefit society as a whole, things that wouldn't have been created without taxation.
So stealing becomes moral if the thieves put the money to a better use (as determined by the thieves) than the rightful owner? Fascinating...

Quote:
Why not?
Because that's how the word "right" is defined within the context of this country's founding ideals. Rights are branches on the tree of liberty, and those branches must first qualify under the meaning of freedom before they can qualify as rights.

Quote:
The quality of life does decline greatly from kindey donation. However I donated all of my organs that would be harvested post mortem,.
After you don't need them any more, gee, that's mighty utilitarian of you. Why not commit suicide at 50 so younger people in need of those organs can live? Btw, you have 2 kidneys and some people need just 1...

Ned -
Quote:
Progressive taxation is punitive and can only be justified by some demonstration that it benefits society in some manner.
"The good of society must prevail over the good of the individual" - Benito Mussolini

NYE -
Quote:
No, mobs would do their stealing and looting directly from the rich, a la the French Revolution.
You didn't answer my question...

Quote:
Society and the rule of law enable the accumulation of wealth and safe guard those who possess it. The least the rich can do when they are protected and fostered by society is to pay back in proportion to what they derive.
Remove "government" from that equation and you have the Mafia extorting "protection" money from their victims. What if my friends and I don't want your "protection"? What will you and your friends do to us (with "government" as your means)? Assuming you wouldn't leave us be, would your actions be moral without government as your means?

Quote:
We all benefit from public safety and good roads, the rich who need trucks to carry the goods to market in safety on good roads benefit a little bit more and should thus pay a little bit more.
But "progressive" taxes aren't designed with that "little bit" in mind. How about a gas tax so those who use the roads more get to pay more? And what if I'm rich and I don't have a delivery truck or a market? Btw, what do you think those "rich" people do to the prices of those goods after you hit 'em with a higher tax? Ah yes, your "tax" on them is pushed off onto us consumers... Another sales tax, and we know how "regressive" those are...

Quote:
You expect a response to such tripe?
If you're a utilitarian, yes.

Proteus -
Quote:
You can more easily survive with less money than you can if you only have a single kidney.
If your remaining kidney fails, you are in grave danger of loosing your life. But if you (as a rich one) have less money it wouldnīt threaten your life, it would only result in a slight inconvenience, as you maybe arenīt able to afford your third Plasma TV Set.
But utiltarianism is based on the notion that the greater good matters more than your good, so if someone is going to die for lack of a kidney, utilitarianism requires they get a kidney from someone who has two. This question merely shows that most utilitarians are full of sh*t. That's why they introduce "limits" on their desire to achieve the greater good, i.e., they only want the greater good when they don't have to give up much.

Robespierre -
Quote:
So who would fault such a man, on being denied the basic comforts of life, from looting a careless miser?
If I was the victim and the thief was truly in need, I could forgive them. But the fact that I would be in the position of forgiving them still shows what they did was wrong. If what they did was right, it should be legal to steal in these cases and the victims of theft should ask the thieves for forgiveness.

Quote:
Such mercy you withhold, will also be withheld from you.
I can forgive a truly needy thief who steals from me, but I cannot morally consent to helping them steal from others. That is what liberals expect of me, my consent and my help to steal from others...
Old February 23, 2004, 06:59   #70
M. Robespierre
Settler

Quote:
None of them were free and non-coercive.
Such would be anarchy, and the cessation of personal liberties. Personal liberties requires a state in which to enforce them.

Quote:
the state is properly a means to an end, that end being individual liberty.
True, but the one cannot survive without the other. Liberty requires the state.

Quote:
By allowing you to live, the state is simply being merciful. You no more have a right to your life than a right to your property. That is the concept you are supporting, whether you realize it or not.
No. I merely hold that such clear elevation of property
cannot benefit either the liberties of people, or the state. There is no difference between denying one who asks for aid, and actively strangling the one who asks. Such aid would not prove difficult, or burdensome, ought to be compelled by the necessity of those in need.
Old February 23, 2004, 07:04   #71
M. Robespierre
Settler

Quote:
If I was the victim and the thief was truly in need, I could forgive them. But the fact that I would be in the position of forgiving them still shows what they did was wrong. If what they did was right, it should be legal to steal in these cases and the victims of theft should ask the thieves for forgiveness.
But how would one determine truly needy? Could you not merely label such a person, as blameworthy due to his own actions?

[qutoe]
That is what liberals expect of me, my consent and my help to steal from others...
[/quote]

No. We liberals espouse the balance between the benefits and burdens. Where one benefits greatly from the state, and structures of the state in accruing wealth, one ought to be required to compensate the state for these benefits. For without the state, the wealth would be worthless.
Old February 23, 2004, 07:12   #72
Az
Emperor

Quote:
So stealing becomes moral if the thieves put the money to a better use (as determined by the thieves) than the rightful owner? Fascinating...
what is "better use"? is it by creating more short-term, and long term utility? then, yes. This is a gross approximation, though, since things such as negative utility from it being unacceptable by the surrounding must be taken into account.

Quote:
Because that's how the word "right" is defined within the context of this country's founding ideals. Rights are branches on the tree of liberty, and those branches must first qualify under the meaning of freedom before they can qualify as rights.
Why is forcing you wrong? "because I don't want to" Isn't an aswer, since that's the definition of forcing someone.

Quote:
After you don't need them any more, gee, that's mighty utilitarian of you. Why not commit suicide at 50 so younger people in need of those organs can live? Btw, you have 2 kidneys and some people need just 1...
Actually, yes, it's mighty utilitarian of me. That's the best solution to this problem. I no longer use any of those organs, and give them away, to save someone's life. That someone deserves to live as much as the guy who'll need the kidney when I am dead, and I won't lose any welfare from it.

Did you sign up to donate your organs post mortem?
Old February 23, 2004, 07:15   #73
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
So all the homeless are responsible for their plight?
If not them, whom? If the reason you're homeless is because I'm a liberal who taxed you out of your home, then I'm responsible. Yes, that happens, not that any liberals will admit it.

Quote:
Their wounds are self-inflicted?
Often times, yes.

Quote:
I should only hope, that you find yourself in a similar situation, where one could learn empathy for the poor.
I need no lecture from you, I was poor and...ahem...homeless...

Quote:
If one opposes taxation to assist these people, as well as charitable donations, to what option have you left the poor, but to rob their more fortunate neighbours?
Why would anyone oppose charity? What option? Get a job!

Quote:
They must survive, and their survival ought to weigh of more value than mere property.
And freedom means you get to help them with your property all you want.
Old February 23, 2004, 07:29   #74
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 20:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker

I need no lecture from you, I was poor and...ahem...homeless...

Why would anyone oppose charity? What option? Get a job!
And so, I assume you lived from money that was taxed from other people
and I also suppose that your Parents didnīt pay for your Education, but that you were educated in schools which were funded by the state.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:00   #75
Berzerker
Emperor

Robespierre -
Quote:
But how would one determine truly needy? Could you not merely label such a person, as blameworthy due to his own actions?
The thief would try to explain why he stole from me and I would decide if he was sincere and if he deserved forgiveness. And I just told you he is blameworthy due to his actions... Forgiveness wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't...

Quote:
No.
Then why are y'all trying to convince us (and others) that we should continue legally stealing if you don't want others to help?

Quote:
We liberals espouse the balance between the benefits and burdens.
Where is your equation? I've never seen a liberal produce any equation, that's an ad hoc rationalisation and you guys know it.

Quote:
Where one benefits greatly from the state, and structures of the state in accruing wealth, one ought to be required to compensate the state for these benefits. For without the state, the wealth would be worthless.
You mean all wealth would vanish if there was no state? Fine, y'all want those who benefit more from society to pay more. Tell me, how many poor people have employed you? None? How much should the poor compensate the state for providing them with protection? If you and I don't want a rich person to benefit from "society", can't we just refuse to give them our money for their goods? But we can't stop others from doing the same, so what does that mean? It means that a rich person doesn't benefit from society, they benefit from individuals within society who want to give them money in exchange for the goods created by the rich person. If you and I walk up to this rich person and the people he is exchanging labor/goods with and demand money because we say they "owe society", aren't we really saying they owe us for nothing?

Btw, we live in rural Kansas and our police "protection" sucks. We might even be better off if there was no local police so we could legally deal with criminals on our own terms.

Anyway, the "state" doesn't do anything for me that I could not do exercising my freedom in cooperation with others. But let's assume we need the state to organise a national defense and provide for local police and courts, what else is there? Don't poorer people benefit from these "services"? And your argument misses several points, I cannot morally walk up to you and demand your money based on my biased speculations that you need my services. You don't benefit from me stealing your money. And you certainly don't have any moral requisite to "compensate" me for "services" I force upon you.

Azazel -
Quote:
what is "better use"? is it by creating more short-term, and long term utility? then, yes. This is a gross approximation, though, since things such as negative utility from it being unacceptable by the surrounding must be taken into account.
It's whatever the takers say it is, just as you've done.

Quote:
Why is forcing you wrong? "because I don't want to" Isn't an aswer, since that's the definition of forcing someone.
You asked me for the meaning of the word "right", I gave it. Where did I say "because I don't want to"? It sure wasn't in the quote you chose to respond to...

Quote:
Actually, yes, it's mighty utilitarian of me. That's the best solution to this problem. I no longer use any of those organs, and give them away, to save someone's life. That someone deserves to live as much as the guy who'll need the kidney when I am dead, and I won't lose any welfare from it.
But what about the younger person who needs a kidney and you have two? What about the teenager who needs a heart or a liver and you're 55 years old? Telling me about post-mortem organ donations is meaningless since it requires little or no sacrifice on your part.

Quote:
Did you sign up to donate your organs post mortem?
Yup, and I'm not even a utilitarian.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:06   #76
Ned
King

Local Time: 10:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch

It actually depends on the banding, but I'll take the US as example. In 2000, 37.4% of federal income taxes were paid by the top 1% of income earners, who incidentally had an income share of 20.8%.

You can't say that either of those figures are small.
Just for the sake of argument here, but how much tax would these same people pay if the tax rate were flat, but there were no deductions?

Now, how much would they pay if the rate were slightly progressive.

Now continue to interrate.

Once one determines the tax rate, without deductions, that yeilds the greatest return - well that is the right tax rate. Any other rate is the wrong tax rate.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:07   #77
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
And so, I assume you lived from money that was taxed from other people
Nope, and I could have gotten unemployment "benefits" too but didn't. I did what most people do, I got another job and started saving money.

Quote:
and I also suppose that your Parents didnīt pay for your Education, but that you were educated in schools which were funded by the state.
My folks paid plenty in taxes for those state "funded" schools, but are you now suggesting that children who go to public schools are required to support state run schools when they grow up? Ever hear the phrase, "sins of the father"? It basicly means it is illogical (and immoral) to hold the child responsible for the actions of the parents.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:17   #78
Az
Emperor

Quote:
It's whatever the takers say it is, just as you've done.
Difference is, I am right, and they're wrong, unless they use my definition, or use it according to my definition.

Quote:

But what about the younger person who needs a kidney and you have two? What about the teenager who needs a heart or a liver and you're 55 years old? Telling me about post-mortem organ donations is meaningless since it requires little or no sacrifice on your part.
EXACTLY! It requires no sacrifice on my part. and it will still save another teenager/younger person, only later on ( which doesn't mean it has less positive utility) . Therefor it's more utilitarian. utilitarianism isn't about self-sacrifice, it's about utility.

Quote:
You asked me for the meaning of the word "right", I gave it. Where did I say "because I don't want to"? It sure wasn't in the quote you chose to respond to...
I still don't get it. Why is it wrong?
Old February 23, 2004, 08:29   #79
Az
Emperor

Oh, and btw:
Quote:
Yup, and I'm not even a utilitarian.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:44   #80
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:

Nope, and I could have gotten unemployment "benefits" too but didn't. I did what most people do, I got another job and started saving money.

My folks paid plenty in taxes for those state "funded" schools, but are you now suggesting that children who go to public schools are required to support state run schools when they grow up? Ever hear the phrase, "sins of the father"? It basicly means it is illogical (and immoral) to hold the child responsible for the actions of the parents.
So, yes, they were paid for by taxes.
And without those taxes you probably hadnīt gotten the Education you have now (because School Fees for privately owned schools would have probably be too high for you or your Parents to afford).

And so without taxes, you probably wouldnīt even have a job (because without the proper education you probably wouldnīt meet the requirements for many jobs) and so you probably would have to live from charity.

Without taxes (or low taxes) you would have just this:
The poor people stay poor because they wonīt get educated and also their children will most probably stay poor for the same reason, as their Parents canīt afford to get their children properly educated.
At the same time the rich people will grow richer and richer, as they have no need to pay taxes (or only few taxes).

Also, much more people in your own country would begin to starve, as, because Donations are voluntary, much less money is available for Welfare Projects within the country.
So, on the other Hand, tensions between poor and Rich would begin to rise.
Old February 23, 2004, 08:49   #81
The Mad Viking
King

Ned - They would pay 20.8% of the taxes in a flat perecntage tax scenario. (They make 20.8% of the income.)

They would pay 1% of the tax in a head tax scenario. (1% of the population)

DF

Here is the difference between money and a kidney.

I take out some money. It has a picture of Abe on it. It says, "The United States of America" . It says, Federal Reserve Note.

That is who made it. That is who OWNS it. They are only lending it to me, under terms and conditions. If I made one just like it, they would arrest me. If I used a bunch of them to place an illegal wager, they would confiscate it.

I take out my kidney. Oh wait, I can't ! It is a part of my body. I grew it myself. It goes with me wherever I go.

Once you agree to use the governments notes, you agree implicity to abide by their rules. If you don't want to, you are entirely free not to use their notes. There is not coercion, no stealing. You are free to choose. When you choose currency, you are making a convenant with your state.

You are free to disagree with the state, but to suggest that universal principles somehow give you a natural right to an unnatural construct is pure fallacy.

The people who make the currency notes govern financial matters.

One can just as easily make the argument that taxation is not discriminatory, in that it leaves many people with much more than they need. Why not tax everybody to a flat income level?

No tax method is right or wrong. They are all attempts to balance wealth creation and wealth distribution.

We have had hundreds of experiments in this balancing act. I think it has been found that progressive taxation strikes the best balance, and that is why virtually every country uses it.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old February 23, 2004, 09:03   #82
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Once one determines the tax rate, without deductions, that yeilds the greatest return - well that is the right tax rate. Any other rate is the wrong tax rate.
You believe in 100% taxation?

Please carrify your meaning.
Old February 23, 2004, 09:32   #83
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
Btw, we live in rural Kansas and our police "protection" sucks. We might even be better off if there was no local police so we could legally deal with criminals on our own terms.
Maybe you should do a field trip to Somalia or rural Afghanistan and check out how well that works.
Old February 23, 2004, 10:39   #84
GePap
Emperor

Great posts from The Msd Viking and NYE

You guys have far more patience than I would dealing with the liberterians.

And in short, pregressive taxes are better than recessive taxes, and as for a flat tax scheme, for that to work no income could be made excempt- including all gains from stock and so forth, which they are not today.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 23, 2004, 12:25   #85
Berzerker
Emperor

Azazel -
Quote:
Difference is, I am right, and they're wrong, unless they use my definition, or use it according to my definition.
How do you know they're wrong? I didn't even offer their rationale and you just assume you're right and they aren't?

Quote:
EXACTLY! It requires no sacrifice on my part. and it will still save another teenager/younger person, only later on ( which doesn't mean it has less positive utility) . Therefor it's more utilitarian. utilitarianism isn't about self-sacrifice, it's about utility.
But utilitarians want us to sacrifice when it comes to our money, i.e., the time we used up from our lives laboring to accumulate wealth (a 40% tax is a 40% deduction from the time we worked, roughly 16 hours a week not including the extra time we have to work to make up some of the time lost to taxes). Calling yourself a utilitarian and citing post-mortem organ donations makes no sacrifice, therefore it doesn't test the utilitarian principle. It's when you do have to make a sacrifice - actions, not words - that utilitarianism is supposed to matter.

Quote:
I still don't get it. Why is it wrong?
Why is what wrong? You asked me for a definition of the word "right" and I gave it. Are you asking why it's wrong to force another person to attend or build you a church?

Proteus -
Quote:
So, yes, they were paid for by taxes.
And without those taxes you probably hadnīt gotten the Education you have now (because School Fees for privately owned schools would have probably be too high for you or your Parents to afford).
Wrong, my folks would have probably sent me to a Catholic school, paid tuition, and I might have taken it more seriously. Looking back, 12 years to learn what I did was a waste of several years. But that was partly my fault...

Quote:
And so without taxes, you probably wouldnīt even have a job (because without the proper education you probably wouldnīt meet the requirements for many jobs) and so you probably would have to live from charity.
Most jobs in this country involve on the job training. You act as if people wouldn't seek or couldn't afford educations if not for government, that's just flat out wrong.

Quote:
Without taxes (or low taxes) you would have just this:
The poor people stay poor because they wonīt get educated and also their children will most probably stay poor for the same reason, as their Parents canīt afford to get their children properly educated.
Sounds like the welfare system. Businesses seek out people and they would do so even more with expanded training programs if they didn't have the state subsidising their training programs, and they'd be one helluva lot more efficient. There's an irony to that, the left complains about big business and subsidies but support the biggest business subsidy of all...

Quote:
At the same time the rich people will grow richer and richer, as they have no need to pay taxes (or only few taxes).
Ah, so now we get down the real motive - envy. So what if the rich get richer?

Quote:
Also, much more people in your own country would begin to starve, as, because Donations are voluntary, much less money is available for Welfare Projects within the country.
So, on the other Hand, tensions between poor and Rich would begin to rise.
Most starvation in the world is man-made, warring factions or dictators using food as a weapon. The worst starvations were caused by extremely non-libertarian governments, The Irish potato famine, the Ukraine under Stalin, Mao's "cultural purges", and Somalia and Ethiopia... If you see mass starvation, you'll most likely see government as that cause.

Hurricane -
Quote:
Maybe you should do a field trip to Somalia or rural Afghanistan and check out how well that works.
Why? Both countries are products of the Cold War. Since the situation in Somalia has finally started to settle down (at least in the north), would you really like to see how bad crime is there now? You'll be surprised... If police were such a godsend for us here in rural Kansas, we wouldn't all be armed. Shall we point to France in 1940 to indict French socialism? How about the US in 1862 to indict a federal republic? How about 1930's Germany for an example of democracy? Let's look at South Africa, one of the largest governmental systems in Africa.

Last edited by Berzerker; February 23, 2004 at 13:15.
Old February 23, 2004, 12:46   #86
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Re: Is Progressive Taxation Discrimination
Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
Is a progressive tax system discrimination aginst rich people?
Paying or allowing certain people more money than other people is an act of discrimination in itself. So one discrimination causes another. Yet the latter seeks to rectify, not excaberate.

However it is noted that even with a progressive tax system, in most cases it is still groosly unfair to the poor. This is especially so if the value added tax is high, or there are loopholes in the taxlaws which allows large deductions on loans or mortgages.
Old February 23, 2004, 13:33   #87
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:18
Money isn't real. It only exists because we pretend it exists.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 23, 2004, 13:39   #88
GePap
Emperor

The better way to say that Che is that money is a concept, a social convention, which we maintain becuase it has proven usefull in trying to determine the distribution of goods and services but which has no intrinsic worth, and that the distribution of it is also set by soical convention, and not any sort of innate laws.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 23, 2004, 13:48   #89
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:18
I was being lazy.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 23, 2004, 13:55   #90
yavoon
Warlord

obviously it is discrimination. u r discriminating on the basis of income.

or were u implying it is "wrongful discrimination?"