Old February 23, 2004, 21:04   #1
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Too much crap-talking going on!
What's it called? Trolling? Spaming? whatever it is, it basically ruins the thread. I don't mean to whinge, but lately all I see in the off-topic is a lot of people talking about nothing in what would have been an interesting thread.

I think you mods and admins need to be a lot more harsh on those who aren't taking the threads more seriously. Like a week ban for example?
Old February 23, 2004, 21:37   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 12:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
...Examples please?

Old February 23, 2004, 21:40   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 12:20
My definitions:

Spamming - posting and not saying anything at all.
Trolling - posting a comment or opinion whose purpose is to atagonize others into counterposting against it.
Smack - taunting others in an overly competitive nature.
Flame - mean degrading comments.
Old February 23, 2004, 21:58   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 13:20
There will always be a certain amount of trolling... spamming and smack... When it get's out of hand, we stop it. If you have a complaint about a specific thread, that's what the complaint button is for. We ban people all the time... but we can't read every post in every thread... give us a hand

Oh.. and just because you complain doesn't mean anything will happen... each case is looked at, but sometimes, we don't agree with the complainer.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:17   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:20
I just wish moderation in the OT was less harsh on the more fun threads. Spammy ones, in other words.
I mean, if the posts don't count for anything, what is the big deal in letting them live?
*sigh*
Old February 23, 2004, 23:44   #6
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
My definitions:

Spamming - posting and not saying anything at all.
Trolling - posting a comment or opinion whose purpose is to atagonize others into counterposting against it.
Smack - taunting others in an overly competitive nature.
Flame - mean degrading comments.
So, why is spam so bad? I mean...what is really wrong with a fun spam thread if it is in the OT.

The other three I can see, but spam can be fun

Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 24, 2004, 00:06   #7
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

sn00py:

You don't be givin' me no jibber-jabber!

Old February 24, 2004, 05:20   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 02:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I just wish moderation in the OT was less harsh on the more fun threads. Spammy ones, in other words.
I mean, if the posts don't count for anything, what is the big deal in letting them live?
*sigh*
AFAIK, OTF is a place where people can discuss things not related to games. At any rate, some amount of spamming is expected, but not when a thread has no point at all.
Old February 24, 2004, 07:48   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:20
Why?
Old February 24, 2004, 08:21   #10
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 03:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
*sigh*
I agree with S. Burns.

This is supposed to be about a game.

I teach my children that games = fun.

Some of the spam here livens the place up a bit. Helps keep the place fun.

We have joints out here called RSL's. These places are clubs for the Returned Service People. I have had the privilge of watching many diggers of the Great War and WWII go through several of these places. These were true warriors, from battle fields that are legend. They believed in fun and happiness, truth and freedom, strength and honour! And that all started with fun. They knew the true horrors of war, and I believe that if they were here right now, they would tell us to lighten up and enjoy the lives we have.

So chill mate, go for a surf, dance with your babe, have a beer. Basically remember that we gather to this site because we play games. Games just like my beautiful neice does with her toys and crayons...
Old February 24, 2004, 08:37   #11
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 18:20
Finally, the law is back.

Ming, could you please take a look in the off topic? There is a certain religious thread that has been screaming for mod action since post 1.

Thanks.
Old February 24, 2004, 09:46   #12
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO
So, why is spam so bad? I mean...what is really wrong with a fun spam thread if it is in the OT.
The other three I can see, but spam can be fun
Yeah... spam can be fun, and it can also get out of hand.
There always is and always will be tons of spam in the OT.
I see a bunch of it every day in the OT... and when it starts getting out of hand, the mods act.

The thing you have to remember is that this is a games forum. The OT was set up as a place for political, religious, sports, lifesytle, music... and many other topics that were disrupting the games discussions in the on topic forums.
It serves that purpose nicely, giving people a chance to talk about other things not game related. It was not meant as a place to spam... or a place to just post meaningless things.
That type of stuff gets in the way of having real discussions.
When it gets out of hand, people whine even louder about how they can't find threads that have been pushed to page two because of all the silly and spammy threads.

Yeah... the posts don't count. The owners of this site feel that only game related posts should count toward your total since it is "gaming site"... they allow the OT to keep those important on topic gaming discussions free from non relevent posts... They have provided the OT as a favor/service to the members.

But just because they have an OT doesn't mean that they condone meaningless and silly posting. It is still meant for "discussions"...

There are many other forums where people can go to post pretty much whatever they want. I know when I feel like getting silly and spammy, their are places that I can go that welcome stuff like that, and it's a part of the sites culture.
Here... it's not. That's the way the owners want it. And since it is a private site... they get to make the rules.

Apolyton is a leading gaming site... and that's it purpose. If you really are looking for a site for other reasons than gaming... there is nothing stopping you from going out and finding such a site.
Old February 24, 2004, 10:05   #13
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

Apolyton is a leading gaming site...
Thats the truth, despite that some (nameless) game developers seem averse to criticism and hang out at that other civ site more. The fun part is that the OT is just as good as the game side (although dominated by the hordes of 'lefties').
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old February 24, 2004, 11:57   #14
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

Thats the truth, despite that some (nameless) game developers seem averse to criticism and hang out at that other civ site more. The fun part is that the OT is just as good as the game side (although dominated by the hordes of 'lefties').
It's the leftist hordes that make the OT good.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old February 24, 2004, 14:07   #15
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:20
It's fun sometimes to be just spammy or whatever. Adhering blindly to rules can be so restrictive sometimes.

We have moderators, let them do their jobs. If they feel somebody has crossed a line, they'll do something about it. If you don't like something, report to them and let them be the judge.
Old February 24, 2004, 15:08   #16
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
Re: Too much crap-talking going on!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
What's it called? Trolling? Spaming? whatever it is, it basically ruins the thread. I don't mean to whinge...
Yes you do, don't lie!
Old February 24, 2004, 15:15   #17
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Re: Too much crap-talking going on!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
What's it called? Trolling? Spaming? whatever it is, it basically ruins the thread. I don't mean to whinge...
Yes you do, don't lie!
Old February 24, 2004, 15:16   #18
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I think the forum with the biggest spam-to-useful-content ratio is not the OT, but the Community forum. And before anyone complains, yes, this post is spam too. Metaspam, to be exact.
Old February 24, 2004, 15:29   #19
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Ahh.

I see both my thread, and the religion thread magically disappeared.

Well done mods.
Old February 24, 2004, 16:43   #20
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:

Yeah... spam can be fun, and it can also get out of hand.
There always is and always will be tons of spam in the OT.
I see a bunch of it every day in the OT... and when it starts getting out of hand, the mods act.

The thing you have to remember is that this is a games forum. The OT was set up as a place for political, religious, sports, lifesytle, music... and many other topics that were disrupting the games discussions in the on topic forums.
It serves that purpose nicely, giving people a chance to talk about other things not game related. It was not meant as a place to spam... or a place to just post meaningless things.
That type of stuff gets in the way of having real discussions.
When it gets out of hand, people whine even louder about how they can't find threads that have been pushed to page two because of all the silly and spammy threads.

Yeah... the posts don't count. The owners of this site feel that only game related posts should count toward your total since it is "gaming site"... they allow the OT to keep those important on topic gaming discussions free from non relevent posts... They have provided the OT as a favor/service to the members.

But just because they have an OT doesn't mean that they condone meaningless and silly posting. It is still meant for "discussions"...

There are many other forums where people can go to post pretty much whatever they want. I know when I feel like getting silly and spammy, their are places that I can go that welcome stuff like that, and it's a part of the sites culture.
Here... it's not. That's the way the owners want it. And since it is a private site... they get to make the rules.

Apolyton is a leading gaming site... and that's it purpose. If you really are looking for a site for other reasons than gaming... there is nothing stopping you from going out and finding such a site.
Well put. I withdraw my previous (and incorrect) comments.

Keep on Civin' (On or Off Topic )
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 24, 2004, 16:51   #21
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO
Well put. I withdraw my previous (and incorrect) comments.
Keep on Civin' (On or Off Topic )
Not incorrect at all. Just your opinion... one shared by others as well. Like most things in life, people have different opinions. In this case, it's the opinions of the owners that matter the most. It doesn't make one either right or wrong.
It's their site... so their rules

And Keep on Civin'
Old February 24, 2004, 16:54   #22
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Ahh.

I see both my thread, and the religion thread magically disappeared.

Well done mods.
Why are threads deleted btw and not just closed ?

I personally find it very annoying.(especially since sometimes threads do disappear for a while, and yes, I am sober )
Old February 24, 2004, 17:29   #23
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Why are threads deleted btw and not just closed ?
Depends on the mod... we all have different styles. I'm the one that does most of the deleting. It is my opinion that just closing some threads leaves them there as monuments to the jerk(s) involved in creating or destroying the threads. So instead of giving people the last laugh of having a closed thread stand as a monument to their rules breaking... I just remove all trace of it. Why should they get the satisfaction of seeing the thread still there for all to read. This is done mostly to pure spam/stupid/silly threads... threads that are totally offensive... and mod baiting threads.
Old February 24, 2004, 18:05   #24
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:

This is done mostly to pure spam/stupid/silly threads... threads that are totally offensive... and mod baiting threads.
You must have missed the thread that described you and Rah as separated (previously conjoined) transgender transvestites then. It was active for quite a while. I seem to remember Kenobi posting a lot in it.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old February 24, 2004, 18:37   #25
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:20
/me proves Ming's point

link ?
Old February 24, 2004, 18:54   #26
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Calling us names or describing us is not necessarily mod baiting. Most regulars will attest to this. I've been a manager for over 20 years, so I highly doubt I will be called something that I haven't already heard before.

Walking the gray line or just outright breaking the rules with the intent to just attract our attention or force us to act, now that is mod baiting.
Old February 25, 2004, 03:10   #27
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

* reads Rah's last post.

It's going to get down to mod baiting soon. The OT forum has been like a frigging morgue for the last week or so. WTH is going on? I even saw Slowwhand be nice to Sava.
Old February 25, 2004, 03:45   #28
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
you and Rah as separated (previously conjoined) transgender transvestites then. It was active for quite a while. I seem to remember Kenobi posting a lot in it.

Someone must have hacked into my account.
Old February 25, 2004, 03:53   #29
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Ken Benobi - do something about that avatar.
Old February 25, 2004, 04:14   #30
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Says the man with David Dusseldoof in his.