Old March 6, 2004, 19:52   #91
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Okay, I just took my newly created 1st level elven fighter through the 1st level of DoA,

Comments thus far:

Why did I show up there?

Spoiler:
All of a sudden I'm just there outside of the hall of portals / Asmodean's shop, perhaps you could give a small blurb explaining why you're there. One suggestion may be something along the lines of "After months of wandering aimlessly, your search for "Civilization" has led you to the dreaded Dungeon of Apolyton..."

The commentary has so far been rather amusing, but is definitely filled with inside jokes that many people won't understand, even many people (such as myself) who visit Poly on a regular basis won't understand a lot of them.

I noticed a couple of spelling errors when talking to Asmodean, nothing big, just stuff like thier instead of their.
Also,

Spoiler:
when Asmodean is talking about how Tass used to hang out with orcs, all of a sudden the word orcs is spelled ORKS, is there a reason for this? or is it a typo?

Another dialog issue that I have, is that when you right click on some objects to read their description, some are written in German, for a non german speaker such as myself, it's not very helpful , but my assumption is that the descriptions weren't all that important, however.

Spoiler:

One specific area that I remember seeing German dialog is on the light standing next to the chessboard, what's the deal with the chessboard area? I searched around all over that area trying to figure out the significance.

The monsters on the 1st level were easy enough to deal with, which is a good thing but, I had to respawn once,
because of
Spoiler:
that damned spike trap!!!!

I picked up one NPC as a henchman
Spoiler:
Vev, he's a pretty tough fellow but it's sooooo annoying to have to keep going back and telling him to follow ...what's the deal with him and Kody? the dialog and the fact that Vev left me to go back to Kody makes me think that they were having a little lover's quarrel

So far so good , I got into the 2nd level but the game crashed yet again I'm looking forward to seeing what else it has in store. You're right, going through with a 1st level character is an entirely different experience
Old March 6, 2004, 19:56   #92
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Ummm, I'm poor I have an ATI Expert 128 w/ 16 meg of RAM.

But, when I played it last year it worked fine.

ACK!
Perhaps it's a version issue? are you playing an updated version now, or is it the same one you were playing before?
Old March 6, 2004, 20:20   #93
Tuberski

Local Time: 13:25
It is an updated version.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 6, 2004, 21:31   #94
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Is it too late for me to vote for it being the vanilla version? I don't have the expansion yet.
Old March 7, 2004, 07:55   #95
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:25
Sadly it is Skanky. I already made the first 3 maps and 2 henchmen (who are non-annoying unlike in the DoA)

Centrifuge
Spoiler:
I thought I managed to translate all the item descriptions... dammit... as for Kody and Vev... well, they are "buddies" so to say As for why you are at the DoA... there IS no reason I can think of. Its just there. I may try and work in some explanation when I do the reworking.
And the trap kills everyone the first time

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 7, 2004, 14:57   #96
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I can't remember if that trap got me.

I still have to finish that DOA. I got sidetrack because I got a new computer, and had to reinstall all my games.

And then I got sidetrack playing fallout:tactics again. Eventually I'll get to it though.
Old March 8, 2004, 16:56   #97
centrifuge
Prince

DoA level 2
I just finished up level 2 of the DoA,

My character is now a 3rd level straight up fighter, I think that I'll probably keep him as a fighter, but we'll see...

some comments:

comment #1

Spoiler:
Aro talks funny , I didn't like the fact that he stayed around after I talked to him ...one suggestion would be to have him fade away, so that he doesn't tempt me to try and put him out of his misery, I mean he is a ghost, so it makes sense that after he says what he needs to say that he should dissapear. Perhaps he could pop up again somewhere else as the character moves though the level, he wouldn't need to say any thing, just appear and disappear once in a while. ...just a suggestion

comment #2

Spoiler:
thumbs up on MattH his gift, accompanied by the "golden heavy flail" made the bad guys quite easy to deal with, even at the big battle at "gates of Spam" <--nice touch BTW

comment #3
Spoiler:
I was able to walk around the trap by the "lake of pretty lights" without setting it off, (my character is an elf, so can see many of the traps).

the lake looked cool , but I couldn't determine if it had any significance

... I did pick up an NPC

comment #3
Spoiler:
Straybow kicks A$$!!!, his help accompanied by my flail, level etc. made the gate of spam and Vovan way too easy, Speaking of Vovan:

I think that he deserves some dialog, he just runs over and starts attacking, I barely knew who I was fighting until
he was already dead , I'd also suggest toughening him up a little bit, but again that is just MHO.

another NPC comment:

Spoiler:
Straybow doesn't rest Also, is there anyway to make it so that you don't have to constantly tell him to keep following you?

...bug report
Spoiler:
you can get unlimited bone potions from asmodean, I really had to restrain myself, in order to stop from taking advantge , but if I had wanted to, I could have bought everything that he had in stock

Overall I'm having fun I just started:

Spoiler:
kicking some communist zombie butt <-- another nice touch , Also, just for you info, I was able to bash down the locked door to level 4, with relative ease using the "ancient Huge Axe", I remember from my quick *cheat* run through from a few days ago, that Tass holds the key to this door, so maybe it should be made "invivncible".

Good stuff more to come, but not until probably next weekend, because I'm heading out of town for a few days.
Old March 8, 2004, 16:56   #98
centrifuge
Prince

DoA level 2
DP

Last edited by centrifuge; March 8, 2004 at 17:04.
Old March 8, 2004, 17:02   #99
centrifuge
Prince

DP again
Old March 8, 2004, 17:10   #100
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Cool... I hope you're having a good laugh.

There's a hard way and an easy way to do each level. You REALLY took the easy way on level 2 But that's allowed...

And if you think that axe is nice... wait till you see what Doctor Spike has

Yeah, and Straybow PWNS. That's why he never levels up, and he "stops and gets lazy" By level 8 or so he will be useless.

-Jam
Old March 8, 2004, 17:18   #101
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Cool... I hope you're having a good laugh.

There's a hard way and an easy way to do each level. You REALLY took the easy way on level 2 But that's allowed...

-Jam
I did? how so?

Sure I could have bare knuckle boxed everybody, but I just felt that was going with the path that was laid in font of me.

the really easy way would have been
Spoiler:
if I had taken advantage of the Asmodean bug
Old March 8, 2004, 17:34   #102
Jamski
Deity

I'm going to fix the Asmo bug the easy way. I'll make his potions have a resale value of -1

Hah!

Nah, the easy way is to take the gifts from Kody and MattH and let Straybow come along. The hard way is to say no to all three.

You realise that you get no EXP if Straybow guns someone down.

-Jam
Old March 8, 2004, 18:32   #103
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
I'm going to fix the Asmo bug the easy way. I'll make his potions have a resale value of -1

Hah!

Nah, the easy way is to take the gifts from Kody and MattH and let Straybow come along. The hard way is to say no to all three.

You realise that you get no EXP if Straybow guns someone down.

-Jam
Yes, I figured that out half way through the 3rd level, I'd knock the baddies down to "near death" and then that SOB would shoot them and rob me of the XP . So I made him stand guard while I went in and took care of the level's main badguy I don't think that I like Straybow as much anymore, I might just leave him behind somewhere and head out on my own.

3rd level, was pretty uneventful until the final battle, no real comments other than what I've already stated.

BTW, I did a test, and...

Spoiler:
...Vlad is still pretty easy to kill, I used Tass's club to do him in (Straybow was still on the 3rd floor). ...but then I reloaded and gave him the ring as per your earlier suggestion
Old March 8, 2004, 18:35   #104
Jamski
Deity

Damm.
Spoiler:
I'm going to give Vlad 99% resistance to all attacks in the next version then.

The Commie Zombies have a really cool manner, don't you think?

-Jam
Old March 8, 2004, 18:37   #105
centrifuge
Prince

Yeah, they just kind of "swagger" along mindlessly
Old March 8, 2004, 18:38   #106
Jamski
Deity

The "Improved Communist Zombies" are a bit smarter

-Jam
Old March 12, 2004, 15:46   #107
centrifuge
Prince

I found what I think is a bug on the 4th level of the DoA. When your at the 4th floor portal room (not the Asmo one), if I go through the south door and then the east door the game crashes. This has happened 5 times in a row. It's not random like all of the other crashes that I've had with NWN, which makes me think that it might have something to do with the coding for the module
Old March 12, 2004, 16:06   #108
Tuberski

The Asmo bug is really hard to not exploit.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 12, 2004, 16:06   #109
Tuberski

dp

ACK!
Old March 12, 2004, 18:29   #110
Jamski
Deity

Well, looks like I'll have to get my arse in gear and actually fix these things...

-Jam
Old March 13, 2004, 09:04   #111
Tuberski

Were is the key for the level 4 teleporter?

ACK!
Old March 13, 2004, 10:49   #112
Jamski
Deity

Locked in a box somewhere. Ha!

The teleporters were really there as a testing tool, and my test character has all the keys on a little keyring.

Use the stairs like a man

-Jam
Old March 13, 2004, 11:25   #113
Tuberski

Quote:
Locked in a box somewhere. Ha!

The teleporters were really there as a testing tool, and my test character has all the keys on a little keyring.

Use the stairs like a man

-Jam
I almost did, but I found you're key so !

ACK!
Old March 17, 2004, 15:01   #114
centrifuge
Prince

well, I've now made it to Apolyton town!!!!

and the first guy that I saw was some damned ugly potion pusher named Centrifuge

Good Stuff Gotta Run, but...

I'll post more later about the trek there from level 4...
Old March 17, 2004, 15:04   #115
Jamski
Deity

YAY! Now the real game begins.

/me rubs his hands together evilly*

You wanted to be the one selling drugs to the kids though, right?

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 04:15   #116
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm trying to get the sound on NWN to work right now.

I reinstalled and updated everything.

But NWN doesn't seem to work right on my new Audigy 2 ZS card with 5.1 speaker system. Everything seems to work right except for the front speaker. I can barely hear anything out of it. Combat sounds really weak that way. I tried messing with all the sound settings.

I'm going to try drivers again. One thing weird I'm not sure of. In game the sound is set for 5.1 speakers, but the .ini file show 4 speakers. I'm not sure if I should manually change that.
Old March 19, 2004, 04:35   #117
Jamski
Deity

Change the .ini file. I'm always doing that with games to get them to work. If it doesn't work, change it back.

If the .ini shows 4 speakers, that's probably why you're only getting sound from 4 speakers. Seems logical to me.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 05:22   #118
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

you would think it would be logical.

But apparantly the ini is 1 level below what it shows in game.

Because now I have it set for 2 speakers, but it shows 0 speakers in the ini file.

I can't get the 5.1 speakers to work properly. But it does work properly when I have the speakers set to 2. I'm not sure if I'm getting the full surround sound effects though. But at least I can hear when I swing my axe.

I did have a similar problem with Morrowind. But updating my drivers took care of the problem. Both Morrowind and KOTOR work properly.

I may post in the tech support over at the bioware forums. just haven't gotten around to it yet.

One thing I'm not clear on and the manual doesn't explain is what all the options in the sound options tab do. 3d/2d bias? And what about the other slider next to it? What does all that crap do?

I may just stick with the 2 speaker sound setup. It sounds decent I suppose. I'm not sure how to test if the surround sound is working properly. Although I wouldn't think it is, not if the game is only sending 2 channels worth of audio.
Old March 19, 2004, 05:34   #119
Jamski
Deity

I phoned Bioware direct before and they were very helpful. Its worth a try...

Perhaps.

-Jam
Old March 19, 2004, 12:48   #120
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:25
Got SoU, and as promised, started playing the Dungeon of Apolyton as a human (combat-oriented) Cleric. I'm at Apolyton Town right now.

One comment: You probably should put Vlad and the cat/Mrs. Jamski in different factions. Otherwise, there's no way to progress further. I learned this the hard way.