Old March 24, 2004, 09:32   #151
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
"Good day

under logiclivingroom has the other stablehand article southern verymuchso!"

Was I close?
Old March 24, 2004, 09:53   #152
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Not even on the same continent, but a good try anyway

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 24, 2004, 11:19   #153
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.

Dissident, just out of curiosity, what kind of weapon did your character prefer towards the end game? In particular I'm wondering if you took massive advantage of the drow weapon smith the way that I have
Old March 24, 2004, 15:35   #154
Tuberski

Local Time: 13:25
So, have you got the CEP yet, Jamski?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 24, 2004, 15:37   #155
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

CEP? Something Expansion Pack?

You've lost me

-Jam
Old March 24, 2004, 15:38   #156
Tuberski

Community Expansion Pack. It's 192MB. It just cameout today at neverwintervault.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 24, 2004, 15:48   #157
Jamski
Deity

Ah. I haven't checked out the vault today. Let's have a look.

You need HOTU to use it, yes?

-Jam
Old March 24, 2004, 15:53   #158
Tuberski

Nope, it has hakpaks for each version.

ACK!
Old March 24, 2004, 15:56   #159
Jamski
Deity

Wow! This is basically the ultimate hakpack

I shall DL it now, hopefully get HOTU tommorrow and then make a new module

-Jam
Old March 24, 2004, 16:01   #160
Tuberski

That's probably why it is so big.

ACK!
Old March 24, 2004, 16:51   #161
Jamski
Deity

Still 22 minutes to go... This is one BEAST of a hakpak. I already have some of the componets, and I'm looking forward to being able to combine the skirts with the giant ants and seige engines

-Jam
Old March 25, 2004, 04:00   #162
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.

Dissident, just out of curiosity, what kind of weapon did your character prefer towards the end game? In particular I'm wondering if you took massive advantage of the drow weapon smith the way that I have
My seconed time through HOTU (the character I described above Dwarf Cleric 18/Dwarven defender 10 at the end) I started off using the Enserrric long sword. I forgot to change him into a dwarven axe before I took him.

I ended up finding a dwarven axe called spellcrusher (or something similar). I upgraded this baby to +10 added acid damage, spell resistance, keen, and maybe something else. I cannot remember.

Those dwarven axes (if I have the name right) are exotic weapons. They are 1d10 damage (same as bastard sword) and 1 handed. I got martial weapon proficiency by taking dwarven defender at level 10. And then I used a feat to get exotic weapon proficiency.

And of course the first time through HOTU I was a gnome Illusionist (wizard). I used some of the cool staves you can find. I did not resort to melee combat.
Old March 25, 2004, 04:04   #163
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

what does that hakpak do?
Old March 25, 2004, 04:07   #164
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

One thing that is annoying me is I can't seem to get the romances to work. I feel like such a loser

Even in BG2 I had trouble keeping the romances going. I tend to always say the wrong thing.

I couldn't seem to get anything going with
Spoiler:
Aribeth
. Maybe because I got her the evil way, and she was a evil b1tch. I used spoiler tags because this character is a little bit of surprise in chapter 3.
Old March 25, 2004, 04:14   #165
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
what does that hakpak do?
On its own it does NOTHING. Not one little thing.

Its basically a collection of new models, textures, heads, weapons, objects, icons and so on. The idea is that if everyone gets this one big download, module builders can use it as a "standard hakpak" and it won't be required to download the individual hakpak for each module you get off the vault.

Turns out that
a) I can't use it as patch 1.62 is required (currently only available for the US English version, Atari bastards)
b) I have all the "good" components anyway
c) Its bugged
d) The naming system for all these thousands of new items is insane. Instead of calling everything by a descriptive name, the items have tags that "tell a story" when you read down the list, so you can't work out what anything is unless you look at the model.

I can't imagine this becoming the new standard for mods.

-Jam
Old March 25, 2004, 05:26   #166
Jamski
Deity

YAY! HOTU is here!

See you in a week

-Jam
Old March 25, 2004, 05:40   #167
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 19:25
So why do some people say the original campaign for NWN is not that interesting?
Old March 25, 2004, 05:46   #168
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

because it's not

Actually there are some good parts to it. Some people do not like the creator ruins. I liked them. I liked that trial quest. I also liked the town that has been banished or something like that. And I did like some of the plot points such as the whole Aribeth, Denthick, and that other guy thing. That was interesting.
Old March 25, 2004, 05:54   #169
DrSpike
Deity

But why rave about the game if the plot is not that good? I know there are mods and stuff, but you want the core game to be good as well right?
Old March 25, 2004, 07:45   #170
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:25
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The gameplay is seperate to the plot. The gameplay can be good with the plot crap. Apply mods to such a game, and you have a game with great gameplay and great plot...
Old March 25, 2004, 07:53   #171
DrSpike
Deity

Hmm ok, but I still have BG2 on my list above Neverwinter Nights I think.
Old March 25, 2004, 08:46   #172
Jamski
Deity

Its the way the game is made Doc. The mods are modules, not modifications to the original plot. In fact I never saw a mod for the original plot. The modules are basically new games, with the same engine.

Examples :
SMAC and Civ2 - same engine (basically) different games.
Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale - same engine, different games.

That's why people say NWN is a great game, because after you played the original module, and the expansion modules, there's still thousands (yes thousands) of other modules to play.

As for the original campag.... its "ok", but just nothing special. The Dungeon of Apolyton is much more entertaining

-Jam
Old March 25, 2004, 08:49   #173
Jamski
Deity

Oh, and I can't start a proper run-through of the HotU campagian yet because I really can't decide what character to be. I played into the first level of the Undercity(?) and its CHOKA with traps. I need some Rouge levels.

The music and cutscenes r0xx0rs though

Oh, and Doc, the engine is the same as KOTOR, that you're currently playing.

-Jam
Old March 25, 2004, 09:19   #174
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah I understood mod in this case meant modules. I probably will get around to NWN, but at present your BG speeches have convinced me more.
Old March 25, 2004, 09:24   #175
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Well Jamski, I bought BG1 on your recommendation, and now it seems that Doc is too. You should be on commission from Bioware!
Old March 25, 2004, 09:32   #176
DrSpike
Deity

We've found a job that even Jamski would do.
Old March 25, 2004, 10:39   #177
Jamski
Deity

I would (seriously) do a hit on someone if it would guarentee me a job at Bioware. Or at least publically disgrace myself in the most disgusting fashion imaginable. And I probably don't need all those fingers...

Ah, a man can dream...

I've made Bioware at least $100, you'd think I should be on a commission

-Jam
Old March 25, 2004, 12:52   #178
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

A colleague gave me his copy of BG1. Looks promising, but the ****ing game doesn't run farther than the prolog goes, because the CD check fails, even though I have an original CD (or rather even DVD).

Btw, Jam: My half orc barbarian made a bloodbath in the sewers, slaughtering all of Tassadars undead communist friends. It's fun, but you should make medpacks (or potions) more abundant, as healing is a PITA. I rest often, but this feels like cheating. Asmodean is 3 zones away and sells only extraordinary expensive medpacks +10.
Old March 25, 2004, 13:04   #179
Jamski
Deity

More medpacks, sure I tend to abuse resting, although I'll probably spawn random penguins on resting in v2.0, so more healing will be required...

Do you have the German HOTU yet? It comes prepatched to v1.62, which I was pretty damm happy about. Now I can use ALL the modules on the vault.

-Jam
Old March 25, 2004, 13:56   #180
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I go to Bamberg and hopefully get it tomorrow.