Old March 25, 2004, 14:21   #181
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
See, preordering not only saved me 5 Euros, but also 24 hours

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 25, 2004, 14:36   #182
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

I ended up finding a dwarven axe called spellcrusher (or something similar). I upgraded this baby to +10 added acid damage, spell resistance, keen, and maybe something else. I cannot remember.
I got a little antsy with my character and ubered my greatsword +3 up to +10, acid damage and everythimg else that was offered, It's a now one seriously bad-a$$ed weapon ...and deals some pretty darn good sneak attack damage Maybe, I should have been a little more patient, and waited for a better weapon to come along...

So far my my highest one hit sneak attack has been for 112 hp, but I'm working on increasing that
Old March 25, 2004, 15:12   #183
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 14:25
Has anybody here played MP NWN with a DM? Is it anything like pen and paper DnD? Can you actually role play? More to the point: is it fun?
Old March 25, 2004, 15:45   #184
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yes, yes, yes and YES.

The best bit is playing with friends. There's some nice "persistant worlds" and there's always groups playing through MP modules that need an extra.

The DM is an invisible PC, who can move VERY fast and who can possess creatures and can also use the "DM wand" to spawn items, creatures, objects, traps etc... He should idealy follow the party and "possess" any NPC they talk to.

-Jam
Old March 26, 2004, 04:15   #185
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 19:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
See, preordering not only saved me 5 Euros, but also 24 hours

-Jam
24 hours not really, as I could have gone yesterday. But I finished SoU only Wednesday and needed one day break to play around with my next character build.
Old March 26, 2004, 04:33   #186
Jamski
Deity

Heh, silly me.

Here's a little report to make you want to go and buy it

I was getting slaughtered on my own. The first level is so full of traps and you need Tomi... The level of challenge is really intense. We're talking lethal traps, Beholders, Dragons, puzzles...

So I thought I'd open the module in the toolset and add myself a "Death Katana" to give me a chance without henchmen. Basically it casts "Harm" on a successful hit and gives +20 to spot and disable traps.

The first creature I tested it on was a Skeleton Warrior. BANG, I hit him. WHOOSH, Harm kicked in healing him fully... Silly me, forgot that these spells heal Undead. I was laughing my arse off. That will teach me to abuse the new magic weapon functions without thinking about it. Every time I hit him, he fully healed, untill one time he made his save and died. I was laughing tears.

I was looking at some of the models in the toolset too. WOW, is all I can say. WOW!

Those Huge Golems are immense. They must be 60 feet high, and the other huge models are equally impressive. The Mindflayers and Beholders r0xx0r too

I'm a happy man

-Jam
Old March 26, 2004, 11:05   #187
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Heh, silly me.

I was getting slaughtered on my own. The first level is so full of traps and you need Tomi... The level of challenge is really intense. We're talking lethal traps, Beholders, Dragons, puzzles...

-Jam
I didn't need Tomi... Of course my character had very good find/remove trap ability.

Quote:
So I thought I'd open the module in the toolset
Oh, just play it like a man

glad that you're having fun. I just finished it last night, and now am trying to find some epic level modules that I can carry my character into... Anybody know any good ones? It's hard for me to sort through the modules on NWVault by character level...
Old March 26, 2004, 11:14   #188
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Of course my character had very good find/remove trap ability.
I was seduced by being a Weapons Master who get jackcrap for skill points, so this was hardly an option.

-Jam
Old March 27, 2004, 05:33   #189
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Oh, and I can't start a proper run-through of the HotU campagian yet because I really can't decide what character to be. I played into the first level of the Undercity(?) and its CHOKA with traps. I need some Rouge levels.

The music and cutscenes r0xx0rs though

Oh, and Doc, the engine is the same as KOTOR, that you're currently playing.

-Jam
not many traps after chapter 1

I don't remember being killed too much by the traps. But they will knock a decent chunk of hp off. So if you like running around dungeons with less than half you HP's, you could die a lot

In fact level 1 of undermountain has the most traps I think. It gradually gets less.

Tomi unfortunately doesn't appear until later in undermountain. I never use him.

You can use Deekin as a henchman. I like him. and you can find those other 2 dumbasses who ran off into the dungeon as well.

Last edited by Dis; March 27, 2004 at 05:45.
Old March 27, 2004, 05:39   #190
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nostromo
Has anybody here played MP NWN with a DM? Is it anything like pen and paper DnD? Can you actually role play? More to the point: is it fun?
I played with my brother as DM

It can be interesting. The best thing you can do is whisper or just talk out loud to the DM to do things the game engine will not allow. Just like in pnp.

Like in a prison sequence we asked if we could break apart some furniture to make weapons. And I think the DM did grant us a club (after a strength check)

Things like that make the game as close to pnp as you're going to get in games out now. A good DM won't just run a predesigned module and scale the encounters. He will also allow the players to think unconventionally and play the game like a pnp.

Obviously there are no graphics for a lot of stuff you can do that already isn't in NWN (and various mods like the emote wand). But it's the spirit of being able to tell a DM you want to search under a fountain, or find a way to manipulate items the game engine doesn't recognize.

The only problem in my game is my buddies wanted to go too fast. My brother had trouble keeping up as DM. I like to go slow, but too many people like to fly through levels. I'm much more methodical in my play styling.

So it can be difficult to DM good if the players are going too fast. It is important to slow the pace down closer to that of a pnp game.

And the sky's the limit on roleplay. You can do as much as you want. or as little as you want. Still much of it has to be typed. Although when me and my brother play we can use roger wilco. Emote wands and other in game things help as well.

Last edited by Dis; March 27, 2004 at 05:46.
Old March 27, 2004, 09:30   #191
Jamski
Deity

Yeah, you have to accept a certain amount of "slowing the pace" when you play properly. Its not just CHARGE AND KILL AND LOOT, but you really need to type a lot of conversations.

Of course, since we always get the patches late here, I've been playing mostly with Germans, French and Spanish, all mixed together. The common language is mostly very bad english

Its like everyone is RPing having an INT of 3

-Jam
Old March 27, 2004, 19:48   #192
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I built a Fighter 8/Dwarven Defender 7 with focus, specialization and improved crit for dire mace, and of course ambidexterity, two weapon fighting and improved two weapon fighting, too. I'm in the first level of Undermountain, now already at level 8/8. I have six attacks per round with the worst attack bonus being +9. I don't need no stynkin' henchman so far, as my 224 hitpoints are the best protection against traps. Loot is plenty and healer kits cheap . HoTU PWNS.
Old March 27, 2004, 23:17   #193
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Quote:
The Mindflayers and Beholders r0xx0r too

I'm a happy man

-Jam
I was disappointed with the Mindflayers in NWN. They were terrible creatures in BGII, stunning me from afar and then eating my brains... I remember I was really scared whenever I read "Devour Brain!" or something like that :really: But... in NWN they were extremely easy to kill and they never stunned me or my henchmen (Kobold and the Drow girl )
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old March 27, 2004, 23:45   #194
Tuberski

Local Time: 13:25
Just got HOTU today. First level has been fairly easy, so far.

Of course, having 800,000 gp available to equip helped.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 28, 2004, 00:01   #195
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Unspeakable Horror

I was disappointed with the Mindflayers in NWN. They were terrible creatures in BGII, stunning me from afar and then eating my brains... I remember I was really scared whenever I read "Devour Brain!" or something like that :really: But... in NWN they were extremely easy to kill and they never stunned me or my henchmen (Kobold and the Drow girl )
They got to my brain a few times
Old March 28, 2004, 03:22   #196
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I never had a problem with Mind Flayers too much in NWN.

They aren't nearly as scary as in BG2. Although now I know some better tactics, they really aren't that scary in BG2 anymore either. But the first time meeting them

As for NWN. I do remember dying in one battle

Spoiler:
after killing the elder brain, you are in a room with several of the higher class mind flayers (they were called something else iirc). I reloaded and fled the room. I was able to seperate them out a little bit, and it was easy after that.
Old March 28, 2004, 08:51   #197
Jamski
Deity

Yeah, they're pretty weak compared with the equivalents in BG2, but NWN is much less tactical than BG so you don't have the options available that you needed to beat them before, so they have to be weaker.

What I am impressed by though, are the models for the Illithids

-Jam
Old March 28, 2004, 17:27   #198
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Quote:
What I am impressed by though, are the models for the Illithids
Me too I always liked Mindflayers, they are one of my favorite enemies.
Spoiler:

...and the Dracolich, I didnīt know of the hidden Filatery (sp?) and had to defeat him 4 times IIRC. Great battle
Another great moment was the city siege, controlling everyone to do the right thing and all that was amazing!
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Old March 28, 2004, 19:42   #199
Jamski
Deity

I'm just at that bit now, Mr Horror, and its rather fun That's one great model, so its worth seeing it in action a few times

Spoiler:
And anything with "lich" in the name must be storing its soul somewhere...

Devour Brain!

-Jam
Old March 29, 2004, 09:11   #200
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Spoiler:

I didnīt find his secret room until I killed him for the 2 or 3 time... I tried to stay close to the door just in case I had to run
Also I didnīt know Liches (sp?) stored their life esence somewhere until I played Icewind Dale I recently.

Is there anything I can read to know more about the Forgotten Realms and itīs friendly () creatures?

Quote:
Devour Brain!
If you donīt mind...
/me gets ready to strike at Jamsky...
Hey! Thereīs nothing there!

Old March 29, 2004, 10:01   #201
Jamski
Deity

Yeah, too much playing with the Illithid as a kid.

For more background on the Forgotten Realms... ummm... WotC (Wizards of the Coast) sell a huge range of (overpriced) books and so on... but I'm sure they have loads of background info on their site (If it hasn't already been deleted as they phase out FR )

-Jam
Old March 29, 2004, 10:30   #202
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Quote:
(If it hasn't already been deleted as they phase out FR )
Uh... what do you mean?

Old March 29, 2004, 10:51   #203
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

WotC have decided to stop producing literature for the Forgotten Realms. They have basically discontinued the whole world, although maybe they will allow existing licence-holders to continue making CRPGs. They've got a new world they're going to start heavily promoting, and there was a thread about it here last week. It should be on the first three pages if you want to find it.
Old March 29, 2004, 10:59   #204
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Thank you!

Edit: Hmmm, any ideas about the thread name? Canīt find it.

Last edited by Unspeakable Horror; March 29, 2004 at 11:06.
Old March 29, 2004, 11:20   #205
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
There you go: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=111077
Old March 29, 2004, 11:31   #206
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Thank you

I found the thread before but didnīt read it completely

Old March 29, 2004, 17:57   #207
Jamski
Deity

Shame on you. Not reading one of my threads

I'm upto the beginning of Chapter 3 now in HotU, and I have to say if the OC had been this kickass good, NWN would be the most loved and popular game ever. The final scenes of chapter 2 are literally breathtaking, from the return to the city, though to the crazy plot twist.

Wow!

-Jam
Old March 29, 2004, 18:23   #208
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

cool. I liked chapter 3 as well. They do have 1 little side quest which you have to do (a bit linear there) that may seem pointless to the overall plot. But I found it humorous.

Me Go Gem!
Old March 29, 2004, 19:15   #209
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Hmm, since this game works similarly under the hood to KOTOR maybe I should make it my next game. Jamski seems to like the new xpack.
Old March 29, 2004, 19:20   #210
Jamski
Deity

I'm wild about it. So many new toys for me to use in my modules

Not to mention getting the Community Expansion Pack the day before so now I have about 6 times as many toys to play with... no more, maybe 12 times

-Jam